Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 7 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

KC had Mahomes and Kelce and were 11 point favorites lmao . We were depleted vs the Raiders then by your logic. Houston still had Watson and Hopkins healthy and Watt healthy. 

KC had a very hobbled Mahomes, missing their two best WRs, down 3 of their 4 DLs, and 4 of their front 7. Kelce also had his probably worst game I can remember.

Like I said regarding Houston, I don't consider that win due to injury. KC is another story completely.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

KC had a very hobbled Mahomes, missing their two best WRs, down 3 of their 4 DLs, and 4 of their front 7. Kelce also had his probably worst game I can remember.

Like I said regarding Houston, I don't consider that win due to injury. KC is another story completely.

Against KC we had no Leonard, Hooker, or Funchess. Every team has injuries. Here is the deal they were at home and 11 point favorites so KC should've beat us. Mahomes is the MVP and played the whole game, if I was a KC fan I would not be making any excuses - that would look bad. We beat their butt bottom line haha and their fans know it . Almost nobody picked us to win that game coming in and they knew Hill wasn't playing ahead of time.  

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s pretty incredible how deep this team is. To play defense like we have with all the injuries is incredible. Ballard is creating depth. Makes next years draft interesting because we won’t need all the picks. Eberflus said they played 21 guys on defense Sunday. 

And nine of them were 1st or 2nd year guys...

Impressive!

It stinks we were so depleted against the Raiders otherwise we would be 5-1. That is the NFL though. 6-0 had Vinny been himself on opening day. I am a Colts fan so I can make excuses for them as well for losing the 2 games we lost. We lost our franchise QB at the beginning of the season and people want to make excuses to why we beat KC and Houston. Jeez Louise Steve Harvey Lol GIF by NBC

48 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some people saying we beat depleted teams needs to stop. We just played 2 teams led by Mahomes and Watson. We were 11 point underdogs to KC and the Houston game was basically a pick'em game. Apparently Vegas didn't think those teams were depleted lmao . Had we beat those teams with crummy QB's I would agree. We also beat the Falcons when Matt Ryan was playing like Dan Marino in the 2nd half. Time to give the Colts credit people, instead of making excuses for other teams. I could easily say we lost to the Raiders because TY Hilton and Darius Leonard didn't play, see how that works.

I bet people said that exact thing...or something similar. It's not like they are totally wrong...not all injuries are created equal...and Hilton probably makes a big difference in that game.

As does having having at least some of your secondary healthy (HOU CBs reminded me of the Jacob Lacey days).

No one here is putting asterisks by the wins...and certainly not making excuses for other teams. Good teams...which the Colts are...with superior coaching...which the Colts have...should and do win in those scenarios...and they all count the same regardless. But when we are talking about ROS and where the Colts could finish...I like to look at context. 

And in that context...I think the Colts are a good team...but one that has gotten some breaks (outside of K). That's all it is...just an observation. And one that leads me to think the ROS schedule while exciting...will be challenging.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Against KC we had no Leonard, Hooker, or Funchess. Every team has injuries. Here is the deal they were at home and 11 point favorites so KC should've beat us. Mahomes is the MVP and played the whole game, if I was a KC fan I would not be making any excuses - that would look bad. We beat their butt bottom line haha and their fans know it . Almost nobody picked us to win that game coming in and they knew Hill wasn't playing ahead of time.  

Funchess LOL.

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

I personally don't think it is that simple.  For several reasons.  For one of course someone could come in and do it better.  He's not the greatest who ever lived, so yes someone, presumably many players could be better.

He played really well Sunday.  Not to denigrate his accomplishment but the team has been very fortunate the last two weeks as to what they have faced on the field and what they could have faced on the field.  So have the opponents.  Our secondary has been all kinds of banged up, but I am specifically talking about what JB needs to do.

Against KC, we ran the ball the entire second half against a bad and injured Dline after less than average start by JB in the 1st half.  He was a non factor in the 2nd half.  We were fortunate that Mahomes was injured, that Hill wasn't back, their OLIne was hurt.

Against Houston, the game plan was superb.  The Texans stacked the box with a poor secondary and JB made them pay just like an NFL QB should.  It was a good time to play them.  One dude was talking about he TDs.  Bubble screen and Shuffle pass are bascially handoffs.  The crosser to Pascal was an easy play for the protected QB and a special play by the WR.  The catch by Ebron is one of the best plays you'll ever see.

But was impressive to me was pocket presence for JB which I really hadn't seen yet.  He has had protection most of the time, and its been like "Stay in the * pocket dude and people will come open.  WEll he did that SUnday.

Darn windy response so far.

But why I say it's not simple is that JB may be at a replaceable level or he may be better than that.  Don't know yet.  I am still skeptical BUT saw some of the looking off, progressions, and pocket presence that I haven't seen from him.  It is a tough call IMO.  

I think the real question is much more nuanced.  How likely is it that we can get someone better if JB isn't good enough.  A bunch of issues there.

To your point...the Hilton TD was a pick play and the Pascal crosser was a rub route...who I am confident was the first option on that play. Pretty standard stuff for any QB. We just aren't familiar with seeing them used (or should I say used effectively) by the Colts before Reich got here.

The stuff I really loved seeing was that lob to Ebron and that chunk play deep out Hilton (that reminded me of Luck).

Reich had a tremendous game plan against HOU...and JB did a tremendous job of executing it. It's great when it works like that. But not all pass defenses are HOU or ATL...at home. There's a pretty clear difference in the offense vs those teams and a team like TEN...for obvious reasons. 

In a weird way, I am actually glad when the Colts are forced to throw more...because that only helps the offensive chemsitry and diversity going forward.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am tired of hearing about other teams injuries. With as bad  as our secondary is beat up Mahomes and Watson still couldn’t beat us. It’s getting old everyone is putting that asterisk on our wins. We still one with a lot of players injured or out.

No one is putting asteriks on wins...at least not Colts fans that is.

Besides, I am pretty sure you said multiple teams that not having Hilton was part of why they lost to OAK (and why JB struggled at times in that game). Can't have it both ways...either injuries add context (which they do)...or they don't.

I will say this...I can guarantee you that injuries matter to the coaching staff...it's how they exploit the other team's weakness.

18 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I bet people said that exact thing...or something similar. It's not like they are totally wrong...not all injuries are created equal...and Hilton probably makes a big difference in that game.

As does having having at least some of your secondary healthy (HOU CBs reminded me of the Jacob Lacey days).

No one here is putting asterisks by the wins...and certainly not making excuses for other teams. Good teams...which the Colts are...with superior coaching...which the Colts have...should and do win in those scenarios...and they all count the same regardless. But when we are talking about ROS and where the Colts could finish...I like to look at context. 

And in that context...I think the Colts are a good team...but one that has gotten some breaks (outside of K). That's all it is...just an observation. And one that leads me to think the ROS schedule while exciting...will be challenging.

It is strange to me how around 90% of the forum picked the Chiefs to not only beat us but win big and around 50% of the forum picked Houston to win. Then those same people want to make excuses to why we won. That is comical if you ask me. Sorry that is my opinion. Everytime we lose then I could find an excuse lmao . 

• Thanks 1

I mean if we play the Pats and Brady is out than I can by an excuse like that if we win. When a player is out in the secondary for a team I have never heard of, that is no excuse. Had Mahomes and Watson been out I can buy the excuses, by the way, Luck has been out all season so we were already at a disadvantage in reality against the good teams.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is strange to me how around 90% of the forum picked the Chiefs to not only beat us but win big and around 50% of the forum picked Houston to win. Then those same people want to make excuses to why we won. That is comical if you ask me. Sorry that is my opinion. Everytime we lose then I could find an excuse lmao . 

Sometimes I wonder how people can't just enjoy a win and need to pick apart the failures...

a win is a win is a win.

This team has its warts, but is playing very well considering the circumstances, this team is over achieving. enjoy it!

(ps. ignore me, I'm loaded)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

Sometimes I wonder how people can't just enjoy a win and need to pick apart the failures...

a win is a win is a win.

This team has its warts, but is playing very well considering the circumstances, this team is over achieving. enjoy it!

Actually I agree with you 100%. We just beat KC and Houston, I say just enjoy it as well. We are in 1st place in the South as well. I could care less if we play a team with Porky Pig playing CB lmao . All it matters is if we win. :thmup:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course you could...and people do find excuses for losses...or when JB doesn't perform well...it happens quite often. After that OAK game...the sky was falling. It's a fan forum...everyone sorta does their own thing.

I don't think I even mentioned the KC game. And I don't think I made any prediction on the HOU game (game was basically a coin flip based according to Vegas I think).

Regardless...those games are done and on the books. I am only about going forward...and my expectations for the offense and defense based on what I have seen. I think there will be some serious challenges. 

Edit: According to the other thread about running the table (that thread is another example of people going a bit overboard)...you said the Colts would lose to HOU in the rematch. I agree with that expectation as well...but just curious why you think that?

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Of course you could...and people do find excuses for losses...or when JB doesn't perform well...it happens quite often. After that OAK game...the sky was falling. It's a fan forum...everyone sorta does their own thing.

I don't think I even mentioned the KC game. And I don't think I made any prediction on the HOU game (game was basically a coin flip based according to Vegas I think).

Regardless...those games are done and on the books. I am only about going forward...and my expectations for the offense and defense based on what I have seen. I think there will be some serious challenges. 

That is fair enough but unless we lose Brissett before a game which is our starting QB I am just not about making excuses. I can except the Raiders beat the pants off us. That is what they did, they were more physical and took it too us. JB had the pick 6.

7 hours ago, shastamasta said:

To your point...the Hilton TD was a pick play and the Pascal crosser was a rub route...who I am confident was the first option on that play. Pretty standard stuff for any QB. We just aren't familiar with seeing them used (or should I say used effectively) by the Colts before Reich got here.

The stuff I really loved seeing was that lob to Ebron and that chunk play deep out Hilton (that reminded me of Luck).

Reich had a tremendous game plan against HOU...and JB did a tremendous job of executing it. It's great when it works like that. But not all pass defenses are HOU or ATL...at home. There's a pretty clear difference in the offense vs those teams and a team like TEN...for obvious reasons. 

In a weird way, I am actually glad when the Colts are forced to throw more...because that only helps the offensive chemsitry and diversity going forward.

A lot of teams are going to find it hard to score on the titans. They have a great defense. If anything when we throw and it works like Sunday that should help open up the run.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you look at what the injuries did in terms of match ups, it's very clear. KC was missing everything that made them good (passing game, DL). We were able to run the ball easily vs decimated front 4 / 7, and they didn't have anything on O. And yet is was still a very close game. The vegas lines are meaningless when there are so many injuries, especially in game injuries.

11 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, seeing as how close every single game has been, I think most every game will be close (hopefully sans the Dolphins game).

IF JB continues to develop and the Houston game wasn't a fluke, we SHOULD win 7 more games. And at least 4 of those wins should be comfortable wins. That's relies on "IFs" and "SHOULDs" though lol.

I expect a lot of rushing from Reich over the next 4 games, especially vs Denver. Denver, Pitt, Miami, and Jax are all average to poor vs the run. I just hope they continue to trust JB. The only team that is really good vs the pass (out of those 4) is Denver. It'll be interesting how JB looks this weekend.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It stinks we were so depleted against the Raiders otherwise we would be 5-1. That is the NFL though. 6-0 had Vinny been himself on opening day. I am a Colts fan so I can make excuses for them as well for losing the 2 games we lost. We lost our franchise QB at the beginning of the season and people want to make excuses to why we beat KC and Houston. Jeez Louise Steve Harvey Lol GIF by NBC

That slices both ways, though.

We can make excuses for the games we lost.  Opponents can make excuses for the games we won.  We could just as easily be 0-6 as 6-0.  Just a few key plays/players away.

Call it Luck.  Call it the loss of Luck.  Either way, the opponents can take their losses, I'll take the wins!  haha

:clover:  :coltslogo:  :number1:

38 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That slices both ways, though.

We can make excuses for the games we lost.  Opponents can make excuses for the games we won.  We could just as easily be 0-6 as 6-0.  Just a few key plays/players away.

Call it Luck.  Call it the loss of Luck.  Either way, the opponents can take their losses, I'll take the wins!  haha

:clover:  :coltslogo:  :number1:

Well I was kind of being sarcastic because when we lost to Oakland I basically posted that we did get outplayed.

10 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Edit: According to the other thread about running the table (that thread is another example of people going a bit overboard)...you said the Colts would lose to HOU in the rematch. I agree with that expectation as well...but just curious why you think that?

To answer your question, I just think Houston and Indy are pretty even and it will be tough to sweep them. We have beat them twice in a row at Houston as well. Because Houston is good, law of averages says we will probably lose that one.

I think it's fair to mention injuries in certain games. We can and rightfully do mention games where TY's missed.

It's just good context to have. We didn't specifically win/lose because of our injuries/opposing team's injuries, but I do think it puts context into the game. Just like a home/away game can, bad weather, penalties, etc.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think it's fair to mention injuries in certain games. We can and rightfully do mention games where TY's missed.

It's just good context to have. We didn't specifically win/lose because of our injuries/opposing team's injuries, but I do think it puts context into the game. Just like a home/away game can, bad weather, penalties, etc.

That's very fair. I think sometimes when I read some people's posts it comes off as the main reason why we won was because so and so missed a game from the opposing team. I do get it, if the opposing team as a pro-bowl QB and he misses a game that is a legit excuse. Same for some other pro-bowlers if they miss. I was just pointing out regarding the KC game we were missing Leonard and Hooker to counter some saying they were missing players. I get the whole concept though.

• Like 1

I have been very impressed with Brissett thus far. I thought we could win 10 or 11 games with him at qb(I had us at 13 with Luck). The defense is still capable of playing so much better. This is a solid team, with a lot of speed and smarts(that is a great combination) If Brissett can start hitting some down field throws this team will be even better because opponents won't be able stack the box.. This team has been fun to watch this year, let's keep it going!

On 10/20/2019 at 3:28 PM, King Colt said:

Ebron actually caught passes today.:cheer:

Yes, it was nice to see Eric shake off the cobwebs vs the Texans. That's the Ebron we've all been waiting for. 

On 10/20/2019 at 4:20 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts are the Colts. We win most of the time, today is no different. Celebrate Indianapolis Colts GIF by SportsManias

Love that Jacoby graphic man! It's like a lava lamp. I can't stop starring at it. Cool. 

On 10/20/2019 at 6:40 PM, krunk said:

Ebron finally got his head out of his behind.  Very good game from him today and I said we would need him in this one.  I also said we would need Brissett to do more through the air and he did just that.

Exactly Krunk. The fog finally cleared brother. I was starting to get concerned. I feel so much better now. 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:10 PM, lollygagger8 said:

I think Brissett is finally learning not to throw the rockets at Ebron.

Thank God. 

(Even TY had an issue with a laser throw coming in hot) 

Maybe that was Ebron's issue in Detroit? Stafford has a grenade launcher too. 

Very perceptive post Lolly. More of a problem with his former Motor City QB than him. Stafford usually throws beautiful missiles that go incomplete. Next level smart. 

22 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am tired of hearing about other teams injuries. With as bad  as our secondary is beat up Mahomes and Watson still couldn’t beat us. It’s getting old everyone is putting that asterisk on our wins. We still one with a lot of players injured or out.

Thank you C6124 for putting a finger on why sports pundits tick me off. Even when we win, they always find some ridiculous disclaimer to cheapen or minimize our victory. 

19 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

a win is a win is a win.

Precisely, just take the W & don't overthink it. Uh huh. Some folks are never happy. Like somebody who wins $10 million in the lottery & they complain because it should have been $20 million. Well said J48. Just soak up the euphoria & don't get preoccupied with what went wrong. Loaded or not, your reasoning is sound, accurate, & needed to be said. Thank you.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2019 at 1:18 PM, Nickster said:

I personally don't think it is that simple.  For several reasons.  For one of course someone could come in and do it better.  He's not the greatest who ever lived, so yes someone, presumably many players could be better.

He played really well Sunday.  Not to denigrate his accomplishment but the team has been very fortunate the last two weeks as to what they have faced on the field and what they could have faced on the field.  So have the opponents.  Our secondary has been all kinds of banged up, but I am specifically talking about what JB needs to do.

Against KC, we ran the ball the entire second half against a bad and injured Dline after less than average start by JB in the 1st half.  He was a non factor in the 2nd half.  We were fortunate that Mahomes was injured, that Hill wasn't back, their OLIne was hurt.

Against Houston, the game plan was superb.  The Texans stacked the box with a poor secondary and JB made them pay just like an NFL QB should.  It was a good time to play them.  One dude was talking about he TDs.  Bubble screen and Shuffle pass are bascially handoffs.  The crosser to Pascal was an easy play for the protected QB and a special play by the WR.  The catch by Ebron is one of the best plays you'll ever see.

But was impressive to me was pocket presence for JB which I really hadn't seen yet.  He has had protection most of the time, and its been like "Stay in the * pocket dude and people will come open.  WEll he did that SUnday.

Darn windy response so far.

But why I say it's not simple is that JB may be at a replaceable level or he may be better than that.  Don't know yet.  I am still skeptical BUT saw some of the looking off, progressions, and pocket presence that I haven't seen from him.  It is a tough call IMO.  

I think the real question is much more nuanced.  How likely is it that we can get someone better if JB isn't good enough.  A bunch of issues there.

If we're gonna get down to Partical Physics, it's probably something like: Are we able to reasonably acquire another QB (represented by A), How skilled is this player (B), What is the cost to obtain said player (C), What is the learning curve or how quickly can he integrate himself, proficiently,  into the offense (D). So, we end up with something like this:

(A+B)-CxD

The Jacobic Replacement Algorithm. 

4 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

If we're gonna get down to Partical Physics, it's probably something like: Are we able to reasonably acquire another QB (represented by A), How skilled is this player (B), What is the cost to obtain said player (C), What is the learning curve or how quickly can he integrate himself, proficiently,  into the offense (D). So, we end up with something like this:

(A+B)-CxD

The Jacobic Replacement Algorithm. 

Seems about right.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To answer your question, I just think Houston and Indy are pretty even and it will be tough to sweep them. We have beat them twice in a row at Houston as well. Because Houston is good, law of averages says we will probably lose that one.

Does that mean our all time record v Falcons is 10-9, not 17-2?