Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 6 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

I'll use the bye week to try to provide a general overview as I see it.

I'll rate each week using one of 3 ratings -- Insufficient, Sufficient, and Good.

Insufficient will mean that Brissett did not do enough to be a useful asset to the team, and was an overall liability on the field

Sufficient will mean that Brissett carried his own weight, but didn't wow or impress

And Good will mean that Brissett carried more than his own weight in that game and was a contributing factor to whatever chance the team had to win.

Note that my assessments do not take outcome into account.  If Brissett had a pretty solid game in a loss, I'll note that,  If I thought that Brissett had a bad day in the office but the team won, I'll note that too.

Game 1 at LAC: Sufficient.  Did not pass for very many yards but was efficient when called on.  Played a limited but necessary role in the game trying drive and threw some touchdowns.  Carried his weight but outside 1 drive in the 4th quarter, did not take over the game.

Game 2 at TEN: Sufficient.  While the late comeback drive was mostly spearheaded by the running game, Brissett threw well into a tough secondary and was efficient with the ball.  Lower yardage seems to be partially the result of the game plan, as Reich gives a lot of carries to the run game, leaving Brissett in a more supporting role as often as not

Game 3 vs ATL:  Good.  Carried the team to a commanding lead.  Had only 1 possession not result in points.  Led 2 masterful drives in the 4th quarter to prevent Atlanta from taking the game back.  A signature game for Brissett that raised our hopes of Brissett rapidly establishing himself as an above average passer

Game 4 vs OAK: Good.  Plenty to criticize, but definitely a strong performance overall.  A step back from Atlanta, but a step back from the best game the guy's ever played in his entire career was probably to be expected.  Most of the issues that are responsible for the loss happened in spite of Brissett, not because of him.  The pick 6 was a throw he should have made, but didn't execute perfectly, that has to be born in mind.  And the valid criticisms are going to be magnified when we don't actually win the game, that's human nature.

But at the same time the run game and defense both had their worst nights all season and he managed to keep us within a score to keep hope alive.  It can be argued Brissett was almost the sole reason we were actually in that game at all. 

When he's just about the only guy on the field making positive contributions, and he almost carries the team back into the game single handedly, I have to rate that as Good.  

Week 5 at KC: Sufficient.  by stats, Brissett had a terrible day at the office, but he did rush for the only TD we scored, and with the running attack having a great game I'm not surprised Brissett took a backseat.  That's going to happen at times with a run-heavy offense.  Again, Brissett made a couple mistakes and didn't take the game over but did pull his weight and did keep the offense organized and in rhythm. 

Most of you are probably expecting my first Insufficient rating.  But the rushing touchdown puts it over the line and makes it clear IMHO he did the minimum to be considered Sufficient.

So far in this season we have:

Insufficient games: 0

Sufficient games: 3

Good games: 2

Not a bad start.  About what we hoped for.  We have a guy who's usually adequate, and can take over a game on a good day but probably shouldn't be expected to do it any given week.  His run so far this year is a definite maybe, but IMHO with more positives than negatives. 

He does have skill, he does have talent, and he does have a number of flaws that prevent him from being more dynamic.  Accuracy on the long ball has been one of his boogeymen, when he made big arm throws in 17, it was "go get it" plays to TY or Moncrief where accuracy is not required.  Reich seems to want him to demonstrate improvement in that area before he turns him loose on the deep throws. 

In the meantime he's a nibbler and a game manager who's usually up to the task of keeping the team competitive in any given game.  Whether that's enough for you honestly depends on your preferences.

As a side note, while the nibbling is not ideal, the overall package matches a description of many QB who have won Superbowls in the past, so we should keep our minds open.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Week 5 at KC: Sufficient.  by stats, Brissett had a terrible day at the office, but he did rush for the only TD we scored, and with the running attack having a great game I'm not surprised Brissett took a backseat.  That's going to happen at times with a run-heavy offense.  Again, Brissett made a couple mistakes and didn't take the game over but did pull his weight and did keep the offense organized and in rhythm. 

Most of you are probably expecting my first Insufficient rating.  But the rushing touchdown puts it over the line and makes it clear IMHO he did the minimum to be considered Sufficient.

I doubt anyone was expecting you to give JB an "Insufficient" rating at this point.

• Like 2

He did well in the off-week. I saw first thing he did when they released them for the week was to go to Riley's children hospital to cheer up some patients. In this aspect he's probably everything you would want from a franchise QB - you won't have to worry about him off-field, his teammates will love him, he will be involved in the best way possible in the community and he won't embarrass your team. 

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

pretty optimistic take you have there OP

i would say he was insufficient against the chargers, titans, raiders and chiefs.  we won some of those games, mostly because of the oline and running game 

You can see the definition I used to arrive at my conclusions.  based on that definition the only game your can argue to be Insufficient was the game at Arrowhead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

You can see the definition I used to arrive at my conclusions.  based on that definition the only game your can argue to be Insufficient was the game at Arrowhead.

we have already had this talk about each game though,  you guys are acting like JB must be fine if the team is winning and even make excuses for him when they lose too

i can go over what i thought of every game again later, i dont have that much time right now.  i made it quick because jacoby didnt even play this week but here we are with a thread 

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

pretty optimistic take you have there OP

i would say he was insufficient against the chargers, titans, raiders and chiefs.  we won some of those games, mostly because of the oline and running game 

You need to go back and watch. 

1. Chargers game 3 and 22 on last drive. He hits Hilton for 18. Then hits funchess for 8 on fourth down. Also threw the td to tie. I believe we were in the red zone every drive. 

2. Titans game threw the winning TD

3. Raiders game wasn’t bad with no TY. Campbell fumble killed a drive we might of scored on.

4. The only complaint I have with the KC game is we needed to convert those FG into TD.

Can you guys and gals spot a problem in this play from Brissett:

He looked a lot better in the first several weeks with his pocket presence, but this is something I've noticed get worse lately. He's leaving clean pockets more than is ideal. He had Paschal open on a corner route if he just stayed in his clean pocket and went through his progression. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stitches said:

He looked a lot better in the first several weeks with his pocket presence, but this is something I've noticed get worse lately. He's leaving clean pockets more than is ideal. He had Paschal open on a corner route if he just stayed in his clean pocket and went through his progression. 

I don’t think anyone has said he doesn’t need to improve.  He needs to improve and we also need some WR to step up. It’s not all just one thing.  What a lot of us are saying is we are going to wait until the season ends and we get all the WR back and going before we say he can’t improve with more game experience. To me this issue you mention is a easy fix and should improve. What you can’t teach is his arm strength and able to make all the throws or his leadership. I am confident Reich will work him through the issues by the end of the season.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

Totally freaking out in a clean pocket.  Not good enough.  Over and over.  But since he doesn't read anyway and the first option was covered after he stared it down and didn't have the patience to let TY come open on the apparant 2nd read or talent to throw him open, there was going to be little chance of positivity.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think anyone has said he doesn’t need to improve.  He needs to improve and we also need some WR to step up. It’s not all just one thing.  What a lot of us are saying is we are going to wait until the season ends and we get all the WR back and going before we say he can’t improve with more game experience. To me this issue you mention is a easy fix and should improve. What you can’t teach is his arm strength and able to make all the throws or his leadership. I am confident Reich will work him through the issues by the end of the season.

Pocket presence and progression are the hardest things to learn, not the easiest.   Hundreds of guys have NFL arm talent.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You need to go back and watch. 

1. Chargers game 3 and 22 on last drive. He hits Hilton for 18. Then hits funchess for 8 on fourth down. Also threw the td to tie. I believe we were in the red zone every drive. 

2. Titans game threw the winning TD

3. Raiders game wasn’t bad with no TY. Campbell fumble killed a drive we might of scored on.

4. The only complaint I have with the KC game is we needed to convert those FG into TD.

he didnt even do much in those games and that is a fact.  sure he made a couple plays, thats not much for an nfl qb though.  had some bad turnovers in that span too

if luck did those same things would you be on here praising him every week?  i highly doubt that you would, i think you just like JB and dont want to be objective about it 

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Pocket presence and progression are the hardest things to learn, not the easiest.   Hundreds of guys have NFL arm talent.  

yeah, strong arm is the easy part for nfl QB.  thats comparable to being fast, who cares if you are not a good QB?

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I trust Reich. He couldn’t have a better coach to help him with those things. All I care about right now is winning. If the colts feel they need a new QB so be it. If he improves that is what is best for this team to win a SB next couple of years. When the end of the season comes we will have a bigger sample size with all the WR back. 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

he didnt even do much in those games and that is a fact.  sure he made a couple plays, thats not much for an nfl qb though

if luck did those same things would you be on here praising him every week?  i highly doubt that you would, i think you just like JB and dont want to be objective about it 

yeah, strong arm is the easy part for nfl QB.  thats comparable to being fast, who cares if you are not a good QB?

Have you gone back and watched some of the games from late last year. There were some where Luck only threw for 150 to 200 yards. I care about winning. Until he is costing us games with his bad play I am going to remain neutral until the season ends.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Have you gone back and watched some of the games from late last year. There were some where Luck only threw for 150 to 200 yards. I care about winning. Until he is costing us games with his bad play I am going to remain neutral until the season ends.

why were you not praising luck when he had those numbers but you do for jacoby?

luck actually got a ton of criticism on this board last year, some of it was ridiculous and some warranted.  i dont remember you defending his low numbers though 

On 10/14/2019 at 11:18 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I can't believe we didn't get a win yesterday.  :flaming:

Cut Brissett.  Cut Vinny.  Fire Ballard.  Tank for higher picks.  This is all Lucks fault.

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

why were you not praising luck when he had those numbers but you do for jacoby?

luck actually got a ton of criticism on this board last year, some of it was ridiculous and some warranted.  i dont remember you defending his low numbers though 

I was praising him. Why would I not. Your post makes no sense. I also have not praised Jacoby. It’s called waiting to the end of the season. I am sure Reich and this organization aren’t writing him off after five games. If fans were trashing Luck after that cowboys game because of low yards they are stupid.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If fans were trashing Luck after that cowboys game because of low yards they are stupid.

it was mostly early in the year and then after the chiefs game.   in hindsight the people questioning his health and durability were probably right after all( i thought he would retire soon, but not this year)

i dont think i should have to wait until the end of the year to say things like i hope they are looking at Qbs in the draft.  we have draft threads every year that start this early.  its also fair to say JB isnt producing much because he isnt.  he might win games with a great line and running game while the defense plays lights out like against the chiefs.  id like a qb that wins us game too though 

if we beat houston i will start believing this team can make a run as constructed.  i actually think its easier to find a good qb than it is to build a great team around them 

texans are our main rival right now.  not NE or the rest of the division imo.  they are getting very good play from watson, he is on fire lately  

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

if we beat houston i will start believing this team can make a run as constructed.  i actually think its easier to find a good qb than it is to build a great team around them 

texans are our main rival right now.  not NE or the rest of the division imo.  they are getting very good play from watson, he is on fire lately  

I agree. Sunday’s game won’t be like KC. Watson and their WR are healthy. They do have injuries in the secondary and at RT. This should be a game where we can exploit the secondary if we try.  Looking how the nfl has played out this season this Texan game will probably be the best team we have played all year. They are a well rounded team. I don’t write the colts off for a wildcard though even if we do lose. Right now the division would be nice but after Luck retired just making the playoffs will be a great accomplishment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

This is the kind of stuff I have a problem with.

1. You have a very limited view of the field on that clip.

2. Yes, he wasnt under immediate duress, but the pocket was closing and escaping might create more space, buy his receivers some extra time and open up something down the field.

3. That's one of those plays where if its Mahommes and he winds up completing a pass down the field, then its brilliant. But if it's a guy you have questions about.....then it becomes an indictment of his ability.

I agree with the OP for the most part. The Chiefs game was his worst performance of the year, but we won, so by definition it must have been sufficient. Sufficient only means "good enough". So it was good enough to win. It's not his fault he has a team who doesnt need him to light up the scoreboard. Could he have played better? Sure. But that's not important to me at all, because every player outside Quenton Nelson could have played better. What's important to me is he leads this team to wins. And hes doing that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

This is the kind of stuff I have a problem with.

1. You have a very limited view of the field on that clip.

2. Yes, he wasnt under immediate duress, but the pocket was closing and escaping might create more space, buy his receivers some extra time and open up something down the field.

3. That's one of those plays where if its Mahommes and he winds up completing a pass down the field, then its brilliant. But if it's a guy you have questions about.....then it becomes an indictment of his ability.

I agree with the OP for the most part. The Chiefs game was his worst performance of the year, but we won, so by definition it must have been sufficient. Sufficient only means "good enough". So it was good enough to win. It's not his fault he has a team who doesnt need him to light up the scoreboard. Could he have played better? Sure. But that's not important to me at all, because every player outside Quenton Nelson could have played better. What's important to me is he leads this team to wins. And hes doing that.

This is just one point of view of the play. You can go see the other views on league pass. He sees his first option is covered on the crossing route and he panics. This is a great pocket and great pass-protection snap. In this league QBs dream about such integrity of the pocket for so long. There is no reason for him to flee the pocket in this one and anything else is whataboutism and pointless excuses. The thing with this "if this was Mahomes" thing is... Mahomes actually is looking downfield to make the pass when he leaves the pocket(+he has better pocket presence) and he actually makes a TON of plays downfield on the move. Brissett doesn't make those plays because when he leaves the pocket he drops his eyes and is looking to run more than to pass. 

It's good that "he has a team who doesnt need him to light up the scoreboard" every week, because when we needed him to do it, he couldn't. This is what this is about - evaluating what Brissett is and what he isn't, what you can expect him to be able to do in the future and what you shouldn't expect him to do. Statements like those are incredibly confusing to me. You practically are not evaluating Brissett ... you are evaluating his teammates. It doesn't say anything about him. He could be dog % awful, but if we win(because the rest of the team did enough to compensate for his awful play), it's "good enough". This works for single games but in the long-term this is not going to look pretty. You cannot evaluate a QB like this, and this is not a recipe for long-term success. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is just one point of view of the play. You can go see the other views on league pass. He sees his first option is covered on the crossing route and he panics. On the other angle you can see just half a second later Pascal gets open on a corner route. This is what happened. This is a great pocket and great pass-protection snap. There is no reason for him to flee the pocket in this one and anything else is whataboutism and pointless excuses. The thing with this "if this was Mahomes" thing is... Mahomes actually is looking downfield to make the pass when he leaves the pocket(+he has better pocket presence) and he actually makes a TON of plays downfield on the move. Brissett doesn't make those plays because when he leaves the pocket he drops his eyes and is looking to run more than to pass. 

It's good that "he has a team who doesnt need him to light up the scoreboard" every week, because when we needed him to do it, he couldn't. This is what this is about - evaluating what Brissett is and what he isn't, what you can expect him to be able to do in the future and what you shouldn't expect him to do. Statements like those are incredibly confusing to me. You practically are not evaluating Brissett ... you are evaluating his teammates. It doesn't say anything about him. He could be dog % awful, but if we win(because the rest of the team did enough to compensate for his awful play), it's "good enough". This works for single games but in the long-term this is not going to look pretty. You cannot evaluate a QB like this, and this is not a recipe for long-term success. 

No, I'm evaluating the team. Im not pretending he needs to be perfect for the team to be successful.

And I'm tired of this act like Brissett cant put up yards or score points. That's not true at all and hes done it many times. In 2017 Brissett escaped the pocket and dropped a 60 yard dime right on TY Hilton. It was such a great play I still remember it 2 years layer. He absolutely can do it. You're just making claims that arent true. 

And btw you have zero qualifications to evaluate his play, or you wouldn't be on here. What I am doing is not pretending I know more than I actually do. That's it. So if it seems I'm not evaluating him, that's because it's not my job and I know my limitations. If you have a question about 440v electrical, I'm your guy. Qb play? Not so much.

I go by the scoreboard and the W column. That's it.

Frank Reich, who actually played QB in the NFL.....said Jacoby was a top 20 QB before the season, with very little experience. Are you in the top 20 in your profession on the entire planet? Do you evaluate the top 20 CEOS on earth and suggest they arent any good? How about the top 20 chefs? Any other profession? 

Its comical to see football fans claim a guy who has looked even better than Reich claimed, a top 20 QB with very little experience, cherry pick plays to suggest he cant play the position well enough. It's one play. We won a big game on the road. He was responsible for the only TD we scored. That's all that matters.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

No, I'm evaluating the team. Im not pretending he needs to be perfect for the team to be successful.

And I'm tired of this act like Brissett cant put up yards or score points. That's not true at all and hes done it many times. In 2017 Brissett escaped the pocket and dropped a 60 yard dime right on TY Hilton. It was such a great play I still remember it 2 years layer. He absolutely can do it. You're just making claims that arent true. 

And btw you have zero qualifications to evaluate his play, or you wouldn't be on here. What I am doing is not pretending I know more than I actually do. That's it. So if it seems I'm not evaluating him, that's because it's not my job and I know my limitations. If you have a question about 440v electrical, I'm your guy. Qb play? Not so much.

Brissett  will improve.  I care that we are winning as well

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Frank Reich, who actually played QB in the NFL.....said Jacoby was a top 20 QB before the season, with very little experience. Are you in the top 20 in your profession on the entire planet? Do you evaluate the top 20 CEOS on earth and suggest they arent any good? How about the top 20 chefs? Any other profession? 

Its comical to see football fans claim a guy who has looked even better than Reich claimed, a top 20 QB with very little experience, cherry pick plays to suggest he cant play the position well enough. It's one play. We won a big game on the road. He was responsible for the only TD we scored. That's all that matters.

Stephen holder was mentioning today how good he has been at the line of scrimmage and getting in the right play. How many false starts have we have. Not every QB is good at that.  There has been very few breakdowns because of him getting the team in the right protections.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

Noone here is doing this so I don't know what you are talking about. 

Brissett has the arm-strength to make some spectacular throws and I've posted about this exact throw several times here, one of those times was probably about a month or two ago. Brissett is an NFL QB. He can make spectacular plays. Almost every QB in the league can make spectacular throws. The difference between them is in the frequency of the good and bad throws/decisions. This is what we are talking about. I've said this thing already in another one of the "Brissett impressions" threads. When I say "Brissett doesn't make those plays because when he leaves the pocket he drops his eyes and is looking to run more than to pass", this does not mean he will literally NEVER leave the pocket and throw, it just means it happens much less often than some of the premier QBs in the league. And this is supported by the stats - even though Brissett made this spectacular throw in 2017, he was the QB with the second lowest number of throws downfield that season. This trend is continuing this season, last I saw that stat he was 29th in the league in big time throws and this was before the KC game where he had none of those. 

What does that have to do with anything? Very few people if any here have the qualifications to evaluate anything football related at NFL level. What are we all doing here then? Lets all stop posting anything football related because none of us is a hired scout or executive by an NFL team? Is that your suggestion? Because this seems like what you are suggesting? Lets close the forum altogether then. Because we cannot possibly have informed opinions and comments on the team because none of us is certified by the NFL? What a nonsense of an argument that is?! You don't have to have a football diploma to watch football and analyse what your eyes are seeing. It doesn't mean I or you or anyone else holds the ultimate truth on whatever we discuss but we can still share opinions and try to get as close as possible to a reasonable understanding of what the team and its players are doing and how they are playing. This is what fandom is and this is what those forums are about ... discussing things... about players... and the team, with people that care about the team as much as you do. It's what makes forums like this enjoyable and fun to be around. How dull would a football forum where no actual football discussion was happening, be? 

Well, good for you. Other people like to discuss more than just scoreboard and the W column. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

What does that have to do with anything? Very few people if any here have the qualifications to evaluate anything football related at NFL level. What are we all doing here then?

Yeah, that part of his post got an audible groan out of me. If you don't want to see player/team evaluations from non-professionals it's probably best not to be on a fan forum. Or at least not be surprised by it.

• Like 2

Groan all you want. It probably applies to you. Everytime some plumber starts talking about QB play, I groan too. Everytime somebody comes up to me and tells me how to do my job I groan......oh wait that never happens unless the person is way more experienced than I am.

And sure we can talk about it, but I prefer we stick to things we know about and stay away from the things we dont. Like when you say Jacoby cant make plays downfield, which is utter horse%. He isnt a gunslinger who chucks it downfield because that's not how our offense works. But it is effective and a layman can see that if he has proper perspective. 

Here is a comparison of some of the most explosive offenses vs the Colts offensive performance.

Patrick Mohommes point totals

Tom Brady point totals

5 and 0 Jimmy Garrapolo 

Deshaun Watson

Jared Goff

Jacoby Brissett

It's funny how Jacoby and Jimmy G are the only two who havent laid any total eggs and are the two that every know it all on a message board would suggest arent good enough.

Jacoby is consistent and we are doing just fine. He hasnt got any special teams or defensive tds to prop him up and inflate his point totals, but he has had us in position to win every game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, that part of his post got an audible groan out of me. If you don't want to see player/team evaluations from non-professionals it's probably best not to be on a fan forum. Or at least not be surprised by it.

I didnt say I was surprised about it. I'm just tired of it.

If you dont want people reminding you of your lack of expertise, you probably shouldn't pretend you have any.

We can do this all day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I didnt say I was surprised about it. I'm just tired of it.

If you dont want people reminding you of your lack of expertise, you probably shouldn't pretend you have any.

We can do this all day.

Hah well, I don't think anybody's claiming to be an expert, so no need to remind us of that.