Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 6 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

What if I think that people that defend a QB rated as poorly as JB need to give it a rest?

This is where you get yourself in trouble. Stop acting like he is playing just awful. Have you seen some of the QB play. He has even been better then mayfield. To say he is playing poorly is ridiculous. There is so much more to a QB having success then stats. He isn’t going to be Luck so people need to get over it.  He is still only 20 games into being a starter with his number two WR being out and two rookies he had no time with. If this was a QB the colts drafted only 20 games into his career I doubt we would see all this nonsense.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No you need to give it a rest and realize those are factors.  Ballard and Reich both  said Cain wouldn’t be full full strength until halfway through the season.  Malik said it even took him almost a year to feel comfortable on that knee. Quite acting like Jacoby has three pro bowl WR and he just isn’t throwing to them.  Cain wasn’t even supposed to be playing this much. He was supposed to be worked back in slowly.

You're the one that made the comment that we didn't have speed. With almost half of JB's targets going to 4.4 or better guys, we obviously have speed guys and are throwing to them.

And nobody said we have 3 pro bowl receivers. What I am saying, is we have plenty of weapons. 

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is where you get yourself in trouble. Stop acting like he is playing just awful. Have you seen some of the QB play. He has even been better then mayfield. To say he is playing poorly is ridiculous. There is so much more to a QB having success then stats. He isn’t going to be Luck so people need to get over it.  He is still only 20 games into being a starter with his number two WR being out and two rookies he had no time with. If this was a QB the colts drafted only 20 games into his career I doubt we would see all this nonsense.

Not a similar comparison, Brissett isn't a 2nd year player who started as a Rookie. He's had time to sit and learn in the league. 

What trouble were you referring too exactly? 

Quit misrepresenting what people are saying, the vast majority at no point have used terms such as awful. There's a wonderful example in this very topic when two people actually have a sensible informed conversation about football despite having differing opinons at the outset. Think on it. 

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I'm talking about rating.  Now whether you think the ratings are legitimate is another question.  But in the rankings whether it be PFF, QBR, or PR, etc.  He is bottom half.  Maybe top of the bottom half, but bottom half.  In other words he is a replacable player by most of these analytics.

Now we can criticize these analytics and there is a lot of wiggle room and context, but some of his supporters, namely you Chloe are a little over the top.  I don't hate the guy, I just don't think he's very good.

Now what I like to do on here is armchair analyze what I think I see and debate back and forth about it.  It's fun to me.  I really like this kind of diversion and think it requires some higher level thinking which is good for the brain.  I don't care if someone disagrees with me.  For instance, you downgrade Hooker, I think that kid is a freaking stud. 

10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Not a similar comparison, Brissett isn't a 2nd year player who started as a Rookie. He's had time to sit and learn in the league. 

What trouble were you referring too exactly? 

Quit misrepresenting what people are saying, the vast majority at no point have used terms such as awful. There's a wonderful example in this very topic when two people actually have a sensible informed conversation about football despite having differing opinons at the outset. Think on it. 

Playing time is how you gain experience. I do think that it should all come together quicker for him if he improves because he has sat and learned.

Also I realize we added speed. My point I guess is that those two guys are rookies and not 2nd and 3rd year players. If they were I would probably be more hard on JB. Especially if they had a proven season with Luck.  This offense has some of work to do so we can get those 250 yard games passing on a consistent bases. Like Reich said his perfect game is 400 yards. 250 yards passing and 150 yards rushing. I think it will be fun to see with having the bye week if we see some new things on offense. Something else I hope is that JB and Cain took some time in their week off to work together. Ballard also said Parris is learning to play outside and it didn’t help he missed all of TC.

i have never down graded hooker.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Playing time is how you gain experience. I do think that it should all come together quicker for him if he improves because he has sat and learned.

Also I realize we added speed. My point I guess is that those two guys are rookies and not 2nd and 3rd year players. If they were I would probably be more hard on JB. Especially if they had a proven season with Luck.  This offense has some of work to do so we can get those 250 yard games passing on a consistent bases. Like Reich said his perfect game is 400 yards. 250 yards passing and 150 yards rushing. I think it will be fun to see with having the bye week if we see some new things on offense. Something else I hope is that JB and Cain took some time in their week off to work together. Ballard also said Parris is learning to play outside and it didn’t help he missed all of TC.

No one is disputing this, what we're concerned about is the nature of his play given the amount of experience in the NFL compared to a true raw rookie. 

What exactly was the trouble you referred to in your previous post?

36 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This. Why would a poster be in trouble for expressing an opinion?

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

@Chloe6124

Here's a bonus tidbit. Did you know that last year Luck experienced more drops (2.3 per game) than JB has so far this year (1.8 per game).

I don’t think drops this year has played a huge difference. The only game where it might of made a difference was the raiders game.  Which was kind of sad because winning a game without TY would of been really impressive for him.

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

This. Why would a poster be in trouble for expressing an opinion?

People don’t realize it’s not what you say it’s how you say it. That’s what I mean. Believe it or not I don’t mind people talking about how he needs to improve or what he is doing wrong. I think it all just needs to be put in more context. There are a lot of factors that goes into the lack of passing yards. It’s not all JB. Is some of it. Yes. But there are lots reasons. There is no doubt the passing yards needs to improve. That goes on the entire offense. Not just JB. He needs to improve and so do the young recievers. Ebron needs to catch balls. There is no one reason with the lack of pass yards.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

People don’t realize it’s not what you say it’s how you say it. That’s what I mean. Believe it or not I don’t mind people talking about how he needs to improve or what he is doing wrong. I think it all just needs to be put in more context. There are a lot of factors that goes into the lack of passing yards. It’s not all JB. Is some of it. Yes. But there are lots reasons. There is no doubt the passing yards needs to improve. That goes on the entire offense. Not just JB. He needs to improve and so do the young recievers. Ebron needs to catch balls. There is no one reason with the lack of pass yards.

Somehow you managed to completely avoid answering the question and as usual just went off on a tangent to change subject. 

Again a completely unfair misrepresentation. There’s been of context and nuance by a lot of posters. 

This is why people get frustrated with your posting style. 

47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

For some reason some people can't tell the difference between a bad QB or an above average QB. JB isn't bad or below average, he is average at worse, but his stats and the teams record at 3-2 prove he is above average no matter how anyone wants to slice it. You do not win with a bad or below average QB, plain and simple. No team in the history of football has won with a bad or below average QB. That is common sense. The way some people post and nitpick JB's play, you would think we were 0-5 and he leads the league in INT's. It is utterly ridiculous the flack JB gets from some. Just my 2 FAT CENTS.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

i have never down graded hooker.

The Hooker think must have been someone else then.

The run game and protection should help JBs ability to throw downfield not hinder it.  As far as I know, no one here is necssarily hoping for high net passing yards.  I sure ain't.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For some reason some people can't tell the difference between a bad QB or an above average QB. JB isn't bad or below average, he is average at worse, but his stats and the teams record at 3-2 prove he is above average no matter how anyone wants to slice it. You do not win with a bad or below average QB, plain and simple. No team in the history of football has won with a bad or below average QB. That is common sense. The way some people post and nitpick JB's play, you would think we were 0-5 and he leads the league in INT's. It is utterly ridiculous the flack JB gets from some. Just my 2 FAT CENTS.

Dude your logic is pretty flawed here.  You are saying that the only thing that matters is the QB.  Every other position is irrelevant.  You might no realize that is what you are saying, but that is what you are saying.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Dude your logic is pretty flawed here.  You are saying that the only thing that matters is the QB.  Every other position is irrelevant.  You might no realize that is what you are saying, but that is what you are saying.

No it's not, do you think Curtis Painter would be winning with this team? We would be 0-5 with that clown. A team needs at least an average QB that can make smart decisions and key throws at times to win. The QB touches the ball on every play, that is just common sense.

• Like 1

When I think of bad or below average QB's, I think of Mike Pagel, Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky, and Scott Tolzien - just stinky.

Jack Trudeau was average and we won the AFC East with him in 1987. We ran the ball well with Dickerson and Jack made smart plays when he needed too. Brissett is better than Trudeau IMO.

Very good I think of Andrew Luck.

Great I think of Peyton.

Above average I think of  Jim Harbaugh and Jacoby Brissett. Those are my takes. Those 2 QB's can win a lot games by playing smart and the team running the ball well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For some reason some people can't tell the difference between a bad QB or an above average QB. 

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that an above average QB is a step below what we're used to.

You think this is bad, I can only imagine what will happen to whatever poor rookie QB steps in on the Patriots once Tom Brady finally retires.  At least Luck had the Curtis Painter era as a buffer, whoever takes over in NE is probably gonna be thrown right into the fire

Anywho, that's where I think we're getting this from.  People mean 'below what I'm used to seeing out there," when they say "below average."  We'll let the insanity of placing Manning and Luck as "average" speak for itself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just curious, how do you define "average" and "below average" specifically. 

And what is a bad QBR?

Also, is a team's record a true indicator of QB talent. Atlanta is 1-5. Is Matt Ryan one of the worst QBs in the league? Are Teddy Bridgewater and Josh Allen two of the best QBs in the league (both with only one loss).

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just curious, how do you define "average" and "below average" specifically. 

And what is a bad QBR?

Also, is a team's record a true indicator of QB talent. Atlanta is 1-5. Is Matt Ryan one of the worst QBs in the league? Are Teddy Bridgewater and Josh Allen two of the best QBs in the league (both with only one loss).

JB also has 10 TD's to only 3 INT's which is an indicator he is average at worse. In the long run if someone has a QB like Curtis Painter, Scott Tolzien, etc. Their team is not winning many games at all. I am not saying QB is the only reason why a team wins, that is people trying to flip the narrative on me and pretend like we can plug in someone like Chad Kelly and win or a scrub and win. Doesn't work like that.  

This is directed at some on the forum, not at you East:

So to some, you think with a bad QB you can win games over a 16 game season? You think you can just plug in any QB and win and it doesn't matter? Brissett is above average, I have seen bad/below average as I posted above. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that an above average QB is a step below what we're used to.

You think this is bad, I can only imagine what will happen to whatever poor rookie QB steps in on the Patriots once Tom Brady finally retires.  At least Luck had the Curtis Painter era as a buffer, whoever takes over in NE is probably gonna be thrown right into the fire

Anywho, that's where I think we're getting this from.  People mean 'below what I'm used to seeing out there," when they say "below average."  We'll let the insanity of placing Manning and Luck as "average" speak for itself.

I think people want to label QB as either elite or bad. They seem to think there is no middle ground which is silly. I have seen bad this year and below average and Jacoby is not it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think people want to label QB as either elite or bad. They seem to think there is no middle ground which is silly. I have seen bad this year and below average and Jacoby is not it. 

I agree, I honestly would  take Jacoby over Mayfield and Trubisky as of now. A QB like Matt Ryan I would not because Matt Ryan has proven to be very good and he is still in his prime.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB also has 10 TD's to only 3 INT's which is an indicator he is average at worse. In the long run if someone has a QB like Curtis Painter, Scott Tolzien, etc. Their team is not winning many games at all. I am not saying QB is the only reason why a team wins, that is people trying to flip the narrative on me and pretend like we can plug in someone like Chad Kelly and win or a scrub.  

So to some, you think with a bad QB you can win games over a 16 game season? You think you can just plug in any QB and win and it doesn't matter? Brissett is above average, I have seen bad/below average as I posted above. 

Here's how I look at it. It's very rare for a team to win a SB with an average QB. Typically their QBRs are pretty high. I saw a graphic or tweet IIRC that only one team in the modern era has won the SB with a QBR (a QB's season long QBR) under 50. And that was Manning in Denver. Talk about the perfect game manager (with declining skills) on a team with an elite defense. Their O was still decent/average (ranked 16th). Their D was #1. 

JB's QBR now is like 47, and that's with one of the best OLs in the league. Our D (pts per game allowed) is like 16th. Even if our D gets back up to like 10, that's still not a SB winning combination. I also ask what is more likely, finding a QB that will be top 10ish (60 or higher QBR), or creating a #1 D to offset a sub 50 QBR. IMO, finding a 60ish QBR guy is probably the easier road.

I really love JB as a person. Awesome guy, hard worker, etc.. I'd love for him to improve and become that guy. I just see several very "fundamental" limitations to his game, that I'm not sure will improve all that much over the course of a season (or even two). My biggest fear is that we get stuck in a fog of mediocrity, trying to make things work for a few years. Purely my opinion, but if I don't see significant improvement by the last quarter of the season, I'm probably moving on. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB also has 10 TD's to only 3 INT's which is an indicator he is average at worse. In the long run if someone has a QB like Curtis Painter, Scott Tolzien, etc. Their team is not winning many games at all. I am not saying QB is the only reason why a team wins, that is people trying to flip the narrative on me and pretend like we can plug in someone like Chad Kelly and win or a scrub and win. Doesn't work like that.  

Average would mean half or above.  Ok I think he is a below average starter.  18 to 22 right now.  That is below average.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's how I look at it. It's very rare for a team to win a SB with an average QB. Typically their QBRs are pretty high. I saw a graphic or tweet IIRC that only one team in the modern era has won the SB with a QBR (a QB's season long QBR) under 50. And that was Manning in Denver. Talk about the perfect game manager (with declining skills) on a team with an elite defense. Their O was still decent/average (ranked 16th). Their D was #1. 

JB's QBR now is like 47, and that's with one of the best OLs in the league. Our D (pts per game allowed) is like 16th. Even if our D gets back up to like 10, that's still not a SB winning combination. I also ask what is more likely, finding a QB that will be top 10ish (60 or higher QBR), or creating a #1 D to offset a sub 50 QBR. IMO, finding a 60ish QBR guy is probably the easier road.

I really love JB as a person. Awesome guy, hard worker, etc.. I'd love for him to improve and become that guy. I just see several very "fundamental" limitations to his game, that I'm not sure will improve all that much over the course of a season (or even two). My biggest fear is that we get stuck in a fog of mediocrity, trying to make things work for a few years. Purely my opinion, but if I don't see significant improvement by the last quarter of the season, I'm probably moving on. 

Fair enough and in no way do I think JB is on Andrew Luck's level. I do think JB knows how to play winning football, knowing his role, etc.. This Houston game coming up will show us a lot. If JB plays average and we win I will be happy with it. If he plays bad and we lose I will be critical of him, I have no problem with doing so.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fair enough and in no way do I think JB is on Andrew Luck's level. I do think JB knows how to play winning football, knowing his role, etc.. This Houston game coming up will show us a lot. If JB plays average and we win I will be happy with it. If he plays bad and we lose I will be critical of him, I have no problem with doing so.

I agree. The Houston game is going to tell us a bunch. The three after that won't tell us much (Broncos, Steelers, Dolphins). We really need to win the next 4. The final 7 games should all be pretty tight. 

I do love JB saying the deeper balls are coming. IF he were able to start connecting consistently on a few deep shots per game, that would change the way Ds play us, and would up his game significantly. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, I honestly would  take Jacoby over Mayfield and Trubisky as of now. A QB like Matt Ryan I would not because Matt Ryan has proven to be very good and he is still in his prime.

Matt Ryan deserves better. 30 for 36 4Tds and still loses. Teams were like 18-2 when stat line like this happens and Matt Ryan has the only 2 loseslmao 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Matt Ryan deserves better. 30 for 36 4Tds and still loses. Teams were like 18-2 when stat line like this happens and Matt Ryan has the only 2 loseslmao 

Quinn needs to go. I can't believe how bad their D has been.

They had such a great opportunity this year given the state of the NFC South too... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

When you say you'd take him over Mayfield, do you mean long term?  

I think Truby is going to be a big bust, but he can really run, but I'd probably go with JB I guess.   Well maybe not Truby was a faster more elusive version of JB last year, running a much weaker offense.

On 10/17/2019 at 5:28 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would take Jacoby over Matt Ryan.  Quite frankly, Matt Ryan is a modern incarnation of Drew Bledsoe, and Bledsoe never won anything either.

Both Ryan and Bledsoe are/were risk takers.  They play for the big shot down field.  Sooner or later when you try for those big plays downfield it blows up in your face.

The problem with this kind of gambling mindset is that when those gambles fail, it hurts you badly.  In the regular season that's not bad, you can recover if a few risks go wrong in any given game.  But in the playoffs one mistake can end your whole run and there often is no coming back

Ultimately I'd much rather have a QB who takes care of the football than that kind of gunslinging/gambling QB.  We see in Atlanta this year what can happen when a gunslinger isn't on his game, and I don't want to have to play that style of football.

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I would take Jacoby over Matt Ryan.  Quite frankly, Matt Ryan is a modern incarnation of Drew Bledsoe, and Bledsoe never won anything either.

Both Ryan and Bledsoe are/were risk takers.  They play for the big shot down field.  Sooner or later when you try for those big plays downfield it blows up in your face.

The problem with this kind of gambling mindset is that when those gambles fail, it hurts you badly.  In the regular season that's not bad, you can recover if a few risks go wrong in any given game.  But in the playoffs one mistake can end your whole run and there often is no coming back

Ultimately I'd much rather have a QB who takes care of the football than that kind of gunslinging/gambling QB.  We see in Atlanta this year what can happen when a gunslinger isn't on his game, and I don't want to have to play that style of football.

I take it you’ve not seen much of Matt Ryan this year, you know the guy that most analysts are lamenting he’s having another good season while being completely hamstrung by his D. He is most certainly not the root issue. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I take it you’ve not seen much of Matt Ryan this year, you know the guy that most analysts are lamenting he’s having another good season while being completely hamstrung by his D. He is most certainly not the root issue. 

He's not the problem this year, but the thing with that style of football is that it isn't a problem until the very moment that it suddenly is. 

When he gambles at a key moment in the regular season and drops a game, it's just one game.  When he gambles and a key moment in the playoffs and drops a game, that's their season.  And he doesn't seem to be capable of recognizing the difference.

He's always going to be a gambler who looks to throw downfield, and that's always going to be a high risk style of play, whether the Falcons are winning or losing at the moment.

5 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Matt Ryan is better at everything beside mobility compared to Jacoby. If we had Matt Ryan...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Ryan has never ended a year with a QBR lower than 64.9 (JB currently 43.3). That's solidly in the top 10. 

Ryan's career INT% is 2.2, which is better than Manning's (2.7), Luck (2.5), Brees (2.4), Rivers (2.5), and Big Ben (2.6). Out of the good QBs in the last decade, only Brady, Rogers, and Wilson have a better INT%.

To add, Ryan has been on some pretty bad teams. Their OL over the years has been pretty bad overall. Put Ryan behind the Colt;s line, with Reich's scheme, and he likely improves what is already a good INT% and QBR. 

So I'm guessing you wouldn't want Manning, Luck, Brees, Rivers, or Big Ben either?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2