Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 6 impressions: Brissett


Imgrandojji

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Myles said:

I would take Ryan over Brissett in a heartbeat.  

 

Right now, I would as well.  I'm hoping it would be a little more cloudy by the end of 2019.

 

I remember getting a chuckle from someone asking if the Colts would trade for Matty Ice to be JB7's backup!

 

I've been keeping an eye on Pat Kirwan's thoughts on JB7 (Jim Miller was on board after a couple games) as he was hesitant. But even PK has hinted JB7 is converting him into a believer.  This upcoming game could be the converted cement, if JB7 performs well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will go by divisions on what QB's I would take over JB as of now. I am going by eye test and trust more than anything:

 

AFC East - Brady

 

AFC West - Mahomes, Carr, Rivers

 

AFC North - Jackson

 

AFC South - Watson

-Now if JB outplays Watson tomorrow and the Colts win, I may change my mind on this.

 

NFC East - Wentz, Dak

 

NFC West - Wilson, Goff, Jimmy G

 

NFC North - Rodgers, Stafford 

 

NFC South - Brees, Ryan

 

Technically by my eye test and trust I have 15 QB's I would take over JB. So I have JB rated 16th overall after breaking it all down. Top 16 is considered top half of the league. I would take JB over QB's like Cousins, Winston, Trubisky, Mayfield, and Darnold all day long if people are wondering. We also have the 2nd best QB in our division as of now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

@Imgrandojji and @Chloe6124.. which QBs currently in the league would you take over Brissett?

Not a lot of them.  The obvious ones like Watson and Wilson and Mahomes and Rodgers and Brady.  Garoppolo is basically a better version of Brissett, no contest there.  Mayfield used to be a slam dunk, not so much anymore. Before this year I might have also said Rosen but he's seriously damaged goods now.

 

I'm in the minority that think Josh Allen is a good QB in the making, even if he is also a bit of a meathead, I'd take him over Brissett on a team that favors a rushing attack and has a solid OL, we're actually really well built for a 2 way QB right now.  So yeah, add Allen to the list.

 

Beyond that there's a few guys I don't know well enough to judge, Bridgewater looks really good but he's had some serious injury problems. You could make some kind of argument for Cousins, but that's a weird one.  Darnold has potential but hasn't even come close to realizing it.  there's a few more like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am watching ESPN College Football gameday and no matter the QB, they will get criticized. The analysts on there were all over Trevor Lawrence for throwing deep down field and getting picked twice today. Isn't he the same guy that most people say is the next best thing? They were saying he should throw shorter passes and use his check downs more. My point is that is what JB does most of the time to avoid mistakes and people get on him for not throwing deep more. It is just comical to hear analysts say this about the great Trevor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am watching ESPN College Football gameday and no matter the QB, they will get criticized. The analysts on there were all over Trevor Lawrence for throwing deep down field and getting picked twice today. Isn't he the same guy that most people say is the next best thing? They were saying he should throw shorter passes and use his check downs more. My point is that is what JB does most of the time to avoid mistakes and people get on him for not throwing deep more. It is just comical to hear analysts say this about the great Trevor. 


It’s more what part of the product of now throwing deep is in the long term, i.e. low YAC. You’d have to be hyper efficient to have long term success without decent YAC as a QB and I don’t think there’s many, if any, that have achieved that. 
 

Time will tell, I don’t disagree with your previous assessment hugely of him being about 16th. I’d have said 16th-20th right now. 
 

Trouble is that’s slap bang in the middle of the “Dalton Scale”. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:


It’s more what part of the product of now throwing deep is in the long term, i.e. low YAC. You’d have to be hyper efficient to have long term success without decent YAC as a QB and I don’t think there’s many, if any, that have achieved that. 
 

Time will tell, I don’t disagree with your previous assessment hugely of him being about 16th. I’d have said 16th-20th right now. 
 

Trouble is that’s slap bang in the middle of the “Dalton Scale”. 

JB is better than Dalton, I am sure you agree with that but I agree Dalton has had some years where he was top 15 or so. Does JB need to be a top 10 QB for us to win it all? I am not sure he does. If our run game is top 5 and we play good defense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB is better than Dalton, I am sure you agree with that but I agree Dalton has had some years where he was top 15 or so. Does JB need to be a top 10 QB for us to win it all? I am not sure he does. If our run game is top 5 and we play good defense. 


Right now, yes. I meant previously Dalton epitomised the middle tier QB who would be good enough to win enough games that you’d stick with him, but not good enough to carry you over the top if that makes sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:


Right now, yes. I meant previously Dalton epitomised the middle tier QB who would be good enough to win enough games that you’d stick with him, but not good enough to carry you over the top if that makes sense. 

Yeah I knew that is what you meant, I think we have a better coach than what Cincy had though. Our run game is much better too. Dalton had a couple of years where you thought, yeah he is top 15 but I never thought Cincy would do much with him in his prime. He didn't have the coach or run game to get it done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will go by divisions on what QB's I would take over JB as of now. I am going by eye test and trust more than anything:

 

AFC East - Brady

 

AFC West - Mahomes, Carr, Rivers

 

AFC North - Jackson

 

AFC South - Watson

-Now if JB outplays Watson tomorrow and the Colts win, I may change my mind on this.

 

NFC East - Wentz, Dak

 

NFC West - Wilson, Goff, Jimmy G

 

NFC North - Rodgers, Stafford 

 

NFC South - Brees, Ryan

 

Technically by my eye test and trust I have 15 QB's I would take over JB. So I have JB rated 16th overall after breaking it all down. Top 16 is considered top half of the league. I would take JB over QB's like Cousins, Winston, Trubisky, Mayfield, and Darnold all day long if people are wondering. We also have the 2nd best QB in our division as of now.

 

I will take Darnold EASILY over Brissett. Why wouldn't you? Darnold has played some tremendous games when he's been healthy. He's better than Brissett now and he has much more unexplored potential to get much much better. 

 

Allen is a bit of a wild card and a question mark. If you want to increase the variance you probably have to take him over Brissett too. For now, I take Brissett. 

 

Mayfield is weird... I would need the input of our Green beret on this one, because Mayfield has been acting out and has been very erratic with his behavior so I don't know what to make of it. If I get an OK on that count, I would take Mayfield. 

 

For a single game or season I'd take healthy Roethlisberger too, but since he's not healthy and already old, I'm leaning toward Brissett. I take Cousins over Brissett. 

 

I'd take healthy Foles over Brissett. Minshew is a questionmark. It's possible Jax has 2 QBs better than Brissett. I'm gonna split the difference and say I'd take only 1 of them over Brissett. There is nothing(short of career ending injury) either Brissett or Watson could do in a single game that will make me want Brissett over Watson. 

 

I would take Murray over Brissett, too... 

 

I'd take healthy Cam over Brissett, too... 

 

So... a lot of those are conditional on health as you can see... This makes the 15 you listed + 6 more... so this would make Brissett about the 22nd QB on my 'board'. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

I will take Darnold EASILY over Brissett. Why wouldn't you? Darnold has played some tremendous games when he's been healthy. He's better than Brissett now and he has much more unexplored potential to get much much better. 

 

Allen is a bit of a wild card and a question mark. If you want to increase the variance you probably have to take him over Brissett too. For now, I take Brissett. 

 

Mayfield is weird... I would need the input of our Green beret on this one, because Mayfield has been acting out and has been very erratic with his behavior so I don't know what to make of it. If I get an OK on that count, I would take Mayfield. 

 

For a single game or season I'd take healthy Roethlisberger too, but since he's not healthy and already old, I'm leaning toward Brissett. I take Cousins over Brissett. 

 

I'd take healthy Foles over Brissett. Minshew is a questionmark. It's possible Jax has 2 QBs better than Brissett. I'm gonna split the difference and say I'd take only 1 of them over Brissett. There is nothing(short of career ending injury) either Brissett or Watson could do in a single game that will make me want Brissett over Watson. 

 

I would take Murray over Brissett, too... 

 

I'd take healthy Cam over Brissett, too... 

 

So... a lot of those are conditional on health as you can see... This makes the 15 you listed + 6 more... so this would make Brissett about the 22nd QB on my 'board'. 

I did not include Big Ben or Foles because they are gone for the season. Cam is also injured and who knows when he will be back. I like Darnold better than Mayfield, always have but as of now I like JB a tad better than him.

 

I know Brees is coming back so I included him as being better than JB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 11:03 AM, aaron11 said:

honestly  i'll probably stop knocking him if we beat the texans.  that would prove we can beat our rival with JB playing like he does.  

 

i know the mantra is 1-0 every week, but texans appear to have the most raw talent in the division while jags and titans are fading.  Colts probably have the best coaching 

 

hi

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

In reading the disparaging comments about Brissett, it's funny what a difference a day (Gameday Sunday) makes.

It's almost as if dramatically different types of performances would draw different type of feedback on those performances. Wild, I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think both coordinators see limitations to the abilities or experience of players on the field and it limits them as to how they game plan and call plays.  At this point, the below average quality of the personnel is influencing the decisions they can make.  Its still a game of individual matchups and I think they think there are only so many plays where our players can win their battles.   As players develop or become available...or are replaced with better players.....you might see things change.
    • His first 3 games were more than fine. Completion % and passer rating allowed were good. He didn't make any "big" plays, but his stats were more than fine.
    • It's strange that a 31 year old player gets signed to a practice squad. 
    • I would have no problem with that.  That’s the problem when two sides both love something sometime neither get as much as they should.  
    • I have no problem with it as it was a nice tribute. I can also appreciate a guy that likes NFL history , particularly the old Baltimore Colts. Even though the franchise is no longer located in Baltimore , there were great memories and history made there. The old Baltimore Colts of that era were as iconic as the Brooklyn Dodgers. A lot of great football history went down between 1958-1971.  I wish Irsay and Bisciotti would get together and hang those old Championship banners in Baltimore and Indy. It would be a nice tribute to those old players who are left, or even their kids or grandkids.  The weird thing is because of the aftermath of the move, the franchise history is in Indy , the Super Bowl 5 trophy is in Baltimore , and the banners are nowhere to be seen. Long overdue to change the latter. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...