Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taco Charleton

Scott Pennock

In past years this would be the type of talent Ballard would likely attempt to acquire on the cheap and add depth. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/cowboys-waive-former-first-round-de-taco-charlton/

With the depth in the defensive end position group I doubt we'd even bat an eye at him as I don't believe he is better than what we have!

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

In past years this would be the type of talent Ballard would likely attempt to acquire on the cheap and add depth. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/cowboys-waive-former-first-round-de-taco-charlton/

With the depth in the defensive end position group I doubt we'd even bat an eye at him as I don't believe he is better than what we have!

Thoughts?

Marinelli couldn't even help him, so I think that tells you all you need to know about Taco..

• Like 1

From NFL.com:

"Charlton's cut comes after Dallas opened the door for trade talks for the 24-year-old edge rusher. With veteran defensive end Robert Quinn returning from suspension and no bidders on the trade market for Taco's services, the Cowboys have opted to waive Charlton.

Dallas' 2017 No. 28 overall pick had been unhappy with the organization for some time. After being ruled inactive for Dallas' first two games of the season, Charlton tweeted "Free me" on Monday before deleting the message."

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Before the draft the knock was he was slow with a bad first step and no real moves. He didn't learn any in Dallas. 31 teams didn't think he was worth a 7th round flyer, that should tell you something..

Though to be fair, if you had traded for him, you inherit his 1st round contract.   Now if he clears waivers, he’s likely looking at vet min.

• Like 1

Cowboy fans hated the pick from the beginning. Their Target was picked a pick or two before him. They thought for sure he would be there. Tried to trade down then said screw it and took him. 

Terrible pick but to be fair, they have drafted VERY well over the last several years.

10 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Before the draft the knock was he was slow with a bad first step and no real moves. He didn't learn any in Dallas. 31 teams didn't think he was worth a 7th round flyer, that should tell you something..

I don't know about a 7th rounder, but his college profile suggested he would have some issues making an impact in the NFL.  28 was always too high, IMO.

Quickness and athleticism was never an issue for TC, strength and consistency was his issue at Michigan.  Good at rushing the passer but he's too uncontrolled and doesn't play within the scheme.  often times at Michigan teams would run counter and misdirection plays right behind the gap Taco left by rushing up field immediately.  In the NFL he needs to follow the play more and know when he needs to set the edge and when to rush.  

A couple of issues he has is, he's not really strong enough to set the edge against NFL tackles and he's not fast enough to read and react.

If Eberflus liked what he saw from Taco in their 1 year together in Dallas, I could see the Colts making an offer.  If he does not think Taco has the desire to take to coaching and improve his game then they won't.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Though to be fair, if you had traded for him, you inherit his 1st round contract.   Now if he clears waivers, he’s likely looking at vet min.

That's the thing when it comes to 1st rounders who have disappointed.  They usually have contracts that guarantee quite a bit if not all of the salary.  

If you get him on waivers you are on the hook for that guaranteed salary.  So it's still a pretty significant risk to grab him off waivers.

If he clears waivers, Dallas is.  

Now that he can be signed for vet minimum, some coach who liked him in the draft will push the GM to take a flyer out on him so that they can try and fix him.  

23 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Quickness and athleticism was never an issue for TC, strength and consistency was his issue at Michigan.  Good at rushing the passer but he's too uncontrolled and doesn't play within the scheme.  often times at Michigan teams would run counter and misdirection plays right behind the gap Taco left by rushing up field immediately.  In the NFL he needs to follow the play more and know when he needs to set the edge and when to rush.  

A couple of issues he has is, he's not really strong enough to set the edge against NFL tackles and he's not fast enough to read and react.

If Eberflus liked what he saw from Taco in their 1 year together in Dallas, I could see the Colts making an offer.  If he does not think Taco has the desire to take to coaching and improve his game then they won't.

That was my analysis of him coming out as well.  His apparent ceiling was max 8 or 9 sacks a game (maybe) while being a liability against the run due to lack of discipline.  He wasn't worth a first round pick.

Now, if you have pass rush needs on your defensive line, and you're willing to try to use what Taco can do while attempting to develop the rest of his game, and you can get him for a song, well that might be worth it.

And, apparently, that's what the Dolphins decided to do, since Harris (their other bust at DE) is injured, and they have no pass rush at all.  Good luck to him!

• Like 1