Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future with JB as QB

MikeCurtis

Just now, MPStack said:

Excellent point! We’ll can look at this more throughout the season. 

I think people forget (not you per se) we'd DEFINITELY prefer #12 out there, but we're in a tough spot for this year at a minimum.

I'm tired of those posts claiming he's garbage and won't win one. Odds are the majority of QB's won't win one, even top 5 drafted ones.

A super bowl to me this year honestly would be to win the South. That would be awesome.

As long as we have some entertaining football it's a win for us fans. We'll obviously see what kind of team they are in about 4-8 weeks. 

I'm honestly not to worried about the NE's and KC's of the world right now because we aren't really supposed to beat them without Luck.

We'll see how this thing unfolds. Never know though, we could have some cardiac Colts action in January.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Brissett either fits Reich’s offense or he doesn’t. Reich was brought to Indy with the intent of installing his offense that utilized a backup QB (Foles) to a SB victory. 

I don’t understand where Reich needs to retool revamp his system to maybe make JB better. JB got the reps all season, either he figures it out or turn the page after the season if things don’t work out.  It’s not 2017 all over again. 

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Are you seriously arguing that quarterbacks have no ability to improve as players?

22 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

well you need yards sure you dont against Mariota's garbage * but you will need to throw for more to beat good teams it's not hard to understand really. averaging 5 yards a throw wont do crap.

Mariota has a 4-0 TD/INT ratio and a 112 passer rating. Colts are a Super Bowl team with him...according to the standard being set here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Are you seriously arguing that quarterbacks have no ability to improve as players?

Hopefully, he does improve during the season. 

Did you not imply earlier he was inexperienced??? How much time do you think he needs??? He’s a 4th year QB tight?? 

What were you talking about?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

that means nothing haven't you heard? lol he's being treated as a rookie some act like we need to see another 3 or 4 seasons for him to finally develop even tho he's probably fully developed after 4 years in the league.

I can't believe I actually have to argue this.

In terms of actual football experience Jacoby Brisset is effectively a second year starter.  Yes he had 2 other years wasting away on the bench.  That doesn't matter.  No one consideres 2000 Tom Brady's rookie year simply because he was technically on a roster.

Remembering that Brissett didn't start game 1 in 2017 for obvious reasons, Jacoby Brissett just passed the 1 year mark last week in terms of actual NFL experience. 

IMHO years sitting behind the quarterback matter for contract negotiations, not so much for actual development.  And if you were arguing in favor of putting Kelly into live games at the start of the year I know you agree with that statement.

I'm sure he's been practicing.  Practice matters.  But one thing practice doesn't offer is real world experience.  That is something Brissett is, obviously, still fairly low on.

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

In terms of actual football experience Jacoby Brisset is effectively a second year starter.  Yes he had 2 other years wasting away on the bench.  That doesn't matter.  No one consideres 2000 Tom Brady's rookie year simply because he was technically on a roster.

Remembering that Brissett didn't start game 1 in 2017 for obvious reasons, Jacoby Brissett just passed the 1 year mark last week in terms of actual NFL experience. 

IMHO years sitting behind the quarterback matter for contract negotiations, not so much for actual development.  And if you were arguing in favor of putting Kelly into live games at the start of the year I know you agree with that statement.

I'm sure he's been practicing.  Practice matters.  But one thing practice doesn't offer is real world experience.  That is something Brissett is, obviously, still fairly low on.

dude we know you're in the JB super fan club we get it.

some of you are becoming intolerable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

We all need to be patient with Jacoby.  It's only been two games and both on the road against good teams.  Many fans are using the term game manager in a derogatory sense.  In the early days of the NFL the term used most often was Field General.  A QB who took control of a team and used all of his offense to garner wins and championships.  The most famous being Bart Starr.  He personally didn't put up gaudy numbers but he used a well balanced offense and he had a great defense behind him.  Ballard seems to be building our team like the powerhouse teams of the old days.  He has said himself we will not be a team dependent on one player but as a team we are going to be very hard to handle.  It's still early for Jacoby.  He just might grow into being a Field General.  Not a superstar but a QB who could lead us to championship.  JMO.  

Those days are long gone.  

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

dude we know you're in the JB super fan club we get it.

It would help if you were making actual arguments rather than laughing at true statements without offering anything substantial in reply.

Any way you slice it Brissett has 4 years of service time but less than 2 years of actual NFL experience.  I don't know about you but that qualifies as "inexperienced" to me and it baffles me that anyone would bother to argue with that.

• Thanks 1

Its not reasonable to expect that JB will not improve as the season progresses.  

My concern going into the season was his ability to make the correct decision quickly, and to be accurate with ball placement.  The first two weeks has shown me that he is much more of an accurate thrower than what I remember from 2017.  

I'm not sure about decision making yet, but I expect both accuracy and decision making will improve as the season moves on.  I think the play calling is trying to help JB in these areas.

I think its out of line to give up on JB's potential and already conclude that he cannot be the answer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Hopefully, he does improve during the season. 

Did you not imply earlier he was inexperienced??? How much time do you think he needs??? He’s a 4th year QB tight?? 

What were you talking about?

Are you seriously arguing that Tom Brady was NOT a rookie when he won the Superbowl in 2001?

Because if you continue this line of thought that's what you're arguing.

Tom Brady's rookie season was 2001.  Jimmy Garoppolo's rookie season was 2016.  Service time and NFL experience are two VERY different things.

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

OH BOY …...What the NY (and Nation-wide NFL Media ) will do with this one lone singular twitter comment by NY Post Giants beat reporter Paul Schwatz >>>>

Paul Schwartz‏Verified account @NYPost_Schwartz 34m34 minutes ago

Copy link to Tweet

Embed Tweet

Pat Shurmur said he does not want to be dishonest. He simply is not ready to say Eli Manning starts the next game.

wth does this have to do with JB and the Colts?  Seriously!

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Mariota has a 4-0 TD/INT ratio and a 112 passer rating. Colts are a Super Bowl team with him...according to the standard being set here.

And Andy Dalton has 729 passing yards!

Oh, but the Bengals have scored fewer points than the Colts.....

..... and are 0-2.......... 

But wouldn't it be thrilling to have all those yards? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

You are both wrong.  Time on the bench matters quite a bit.   Not as much as NFL game experience, but it does matter.   JB has more experience than Baker Mayfield.   If you don't think being 2nd string in this offense behind Luck last year was beneficial, I can't help you.  

• Like 2

Beneficical yes but no match for live snaps.  Half the problems we're having with Brissett right now, uncertainty on reads, trouble reading a defense, lack of finesse in the short pass, are things that are best curedby the kind of direct hands-on experience that Brissett has rather little of.  Now he's getting that experience and I expect him to improve steadily.

Getting thrown into a trial by fire against 2 playoff caliber defenses didn't exactly prime him for success, and I think that it means something that, as discombobulated as he looked out there at times, he still found ways to get the job done.

I do agree that the truth is a bit more in the middle than I've probably been letting on, but I also think that the difference between practice snaps and live snaps is pretty apparent in how tentative Jacoby seemed at times in the second half last night

There's a reason I chose the word "inexperienced"  rather than "green" or "raw."  You can see the practice polish and discipline.  He's got a good head on his shoulders.  But that word defines most of the worst of Brissett's issues.  The talent is there, at least in my opinion.  The arm is certainly there.  The leadership is there.  What he needs is snaps, to learn all the stuff you can only master while playing real opponents.

6 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

I remember being at the very bottom of the league in running the ball for years. How many championships were won racking up passing yards?

6 hours ago, IinD said:

Luck couldn't lead us to one so what's really the point with these type threads?

Very astute point. 

4 hours ago, egg said:

In 2017 Brissett thew for over 300 yards twice.

In Tom Brady's first full year he threw for over 300 once. 

In Ben Roethlisberger's first year he threw for 300 once.

Russell Wilson ... none.

Imagine that.

Fans have stars in their eyes. That want a "heralded" QB. 

4 hours ago, FRW said:

Flacco won a SB. Marino didn't. Trent Dilfer won one. Neither Jim Kelly or Warren Moon did. Rivers will be fitted for a gold jacket someday, and any SB he's been to he bought a ticket for. Enough with the elite QB needed to win SB crap. Teams win Super Bowls. This isn't basketball where one great player (see LeBron or MJ) can carry you. Tom Brady wouldn't have any rings if he'd spent his much shorter career in Cleveland or Cincinnati.  

Moon is probably my favorite non-Colt QB of all time. Absolutely amazing. You are correct, this is a team sport. 

58 minutes ago, egg said:

This is what is misleading because if AV's leg hadn't fallen off, the Colts would be averaging 25 points per game this year and their record would be 2-0. 

I know, I know, you want yards.

I want points.....and ball control....and that is what 5 TDs to 1 INT will get you.

I am still waiting to see a score board that list yards..rather than points. :thmup:

17 minutes ago, egg said:

You know, I have listened for many, many years to a great number of Colt fans beg....BEG....for a solid running game to go with our passing. We now have stellar rushing numbers (and have proven it on the road no less), and fans whine about low passing yards. 

My determination? Fans are whiners. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

LOL look at this. Not to much of a difference.

Luck did start slow last year and the teams record reflected that.  it seemed like he was still recovering some what, but he was a top 3 QB by the end of the year.

it also took a few games for nelson to really get going, he had some mistakes and penalties those first few games.  the line really came together once that happened and AC returned

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I remember being at the very bottom of the league in running the ball for years. How many championships were won racking up passing yards?

Very astute point. 

Fans have stars in their eyes. That want a "heralded" QB. 

Moon is probably my favorite non-Colt QB of all time. Absolutely amazing. You are correct, this is a team sport. 

I am still waiting to see a score board that list yards..rather than points. :thmup:

You know, I have listened for many, many years to a great number of Colt fans beg....BEG....for a solid running game to go with our passing. We now have stellar rushing numbers (and have proven it on the road no less), and fans whine about low passing yards. 

My determination? Fans are whiners. 

Post of the day right here, hahaha

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Luck did start slow last year and the teams record reflected that.  it seemed like he was still recovering some what, but he was a top 3 QB by the end of the year.

it also took a few games for nelson to really get going, he had some mistakes and penalties those first few games

We're fortunate the team has that experience of standing tall and coming back into contention last year.  That will serve the franchise very well going forward and help us a great deal carrying JB7 through the process of learning how to be an NFL quarterback.

The list of quarterbacks that Brissett has beaten after 3+ years in the NFL stands at...

Brock Osweiler 

DeShone Kizer

Brian Hoyer

Tom Savage

T.J Yates

Marcus Mariota

I'm gonna hold off on the superbowl talk until he beats a couple more guys who I would actually recognize if they walked past me in the street.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, egg said:

It would great to have a QB that could put up those stats...yes.

Had the Colts lost...it would have been on JB and the offense. 

Lots of JB spin in this thread.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

The list of quarterbacks that Brissett has beaten after 3+ years in the NFL stands at...

Brock Osweiler 

DeShone Kizer

Brian Hoyer

Tom Savage

T.J Yates

Marcus Mariota

I'm gonna hold of on the superbowl talk until he beats a couple more guys who I would actually recognize of they walked past me in the street.

When did Brissett play one-on-one against any of those guys?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, egg said:

This is such a excellent point. I don’t think anyone is saying we don’t need more passing yards because we do. The fact he has 5 TD is crazy for that few yards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Lots of pointless comments in every thread unfortunately even after we win.

Nobody wants JB as QB instead of Luck.

It's just getting really old and we're in week 2....

He sucks, he won't win one, he's garbage...

Easiest thing to do would be to not watch instead of torturing ones self.

Not directed at you, but the complaining already, it's getting old quick.

#18 or #12 ain't walking through the doors anytime soon. Better get ready for regular team football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

But the Colts didn't lose.  And JB's red zone efficiency has a lot to do with why they didn't lose.

the Titans came in with a gameplan to take Brissett away from us and force us to run into the teeth of their excellent run D.  Fortunately the running backs found enough holes to keep the team in the fight and while Brissett struggled to adjust to what the Titans threw at him, he still was able to punish the Titans when they had to stack fully against the run in the red zone.

It's not pretty, but that sort of thing is how you win tough games.  

The Titans are widely considered a better team than us right now.

Also, just to state the obvious here, we were pretty good at taking their quarterback away last night too.  For such a mobile QB Mariota spent a lot of time on his butt.  Full marks to the D last night.

Sometimes you just have to take what the defense gives you, and what the defense gave us was opportunities to pound the rock and kill the clock.  Which Reich took full advantage of.

No, Brissett didn't carry the game, but he played his role in a TEAM win.  I honestly think that's more important, at least for right now.

11 minutes ago, J@son said:

Remember when Peyton Manning beat Steve Mcnair in Baltimore....15-6? It was Jan 13th, 2007. Peyton was waaayyyyyyyyyyyy better!!

Oh wait, um......neither QB threw a TD. It was all FG's.

Nevermind....

(For reference, neither QB threw for over 175 yds. Obvioiusly both teams should have upgradedhaha)

5 minutes ago, J@son said:

Hahahahahaha.  :funny: So funny!

No quarterback plays one on one obviously.

To win the superbowl you have to beat teams who have quarterbacks who can put up 350-400 yards. Until he does that then it's an obvious "no".

Let Brissett take the baby steps he needs to. Let's not start needless hype and talk about flying before hes proved he can walk,  let alone run.

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

#18 or #12 ain't walking through the doors anytime soon. Better get ready for regular team football.

you dont think we should talk about our future QB?  we have a whole section dedicated to the draft and there is lot of talk about QBs in there right now.  Jacoby is the QB for now, but its not too soon to talk about the future 

30 minutes ago, egg said:

The Bengals are averaging less than 50 a game on the ground. Dalton basically is forced to throw. Hence, the 729.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Hahahahahaha.  :funny: So funny!

No quarterback plays one on one obviously.

To win the superbowl you have to beat teams who have quarterbacks who can put up 350-400 yards. Until he does that then it's an obvious "no".

Let Brissett take the baby steps he needs to. Let's not start needless hype and talk about flying before hes proved he can walk,  let alone run.

I agree with most of that but would add, let's not perpetuate the myth that a QB beats another QB or team. :)

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Brock Osweiler 

DeShone Kizer

Brian Hoyer

Tom Savage

T.J Yates

Marcus Mariota

I'm gonna hold off on the superbowl talk until he beats a couple more guys who I would actually recognize if they walked past me in the street.

Ummm.   You're joking with this post, please say yes.

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

you dont think we should talk about our future QB?  we have a whole section dedicated to the draft and there is lot of talk about QBs in there right now.  Jacoby is the QB for now, but its not too soon to talk about the future 

It kind of is though.  We have no idea how JB7 is gonna develop over the next year plus.  We've seen glimpses of his potential if he can put it all together.  I think he's pretty close to working it out.  If that happens then he becomes our future at QB.

Besides as soft as our schedule is it would be tough to get a favorable draft pick at this point.

I think it's quite fair to say, wait to get a clearer picture of JB7 before we risk throwing the baby out with the proverbial bathwater.  The draft can be an absolute crapshoot.  The bird in the hand can be worth a lot more than 2 QBs in the draft.

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I agree with most of that but would add, let's not perpetuate the myth that a QB beats another QB or team. :)

Let's not pretend that the ability of the quarterback is not a massive deciding factor in the outcome of any game.

Beating teams led by T.J. Yates and Tom Savage is a whole lot easier than beating teams led by Brady and Brees. Especially when you average 190 yards through the air.