Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future with JB as QB

MikeCurtis

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I have been a big supporter of JB

I was one of the few that felt he might be worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick to someone

(when we had Luck).... Until the legendary MPStack finally wore me down  

The question I have is, can JB lead us to a SB?

There will be games that we have to get to 35 to win.

It will be tough to get to 35 points, the way we are set up.

I think we will get to 9-7 or 10-6 this year with JB.

But....... KC and NE will be tough to beat to get out of the AFC

This team is set up to win the AFC south, but........  

I dont see us getting past teams that can pass for 300 yards if needed

To win with what we have - MUSTS

We will need to run the ball (keeps the clock moving, and other team's score down) - YES

We will need to make few turnovers - YES

We will need to have excellent special teams play - NO

We will need to create turnovers - Partial

We will need to stuff the run on defense - Partial

We will need to keep the big passes under control - Yes

We will need to tackle well - Partial

We will need to rush the passer - Partial

If we can say YES on all these MUSTS, we can potentially beat anyone

If we DONT complete these 'MUSTS'  we will lose, with JB as QB

If you have an elite QB, you can actually still win if you do SOME of these 'MUSTS' 

This will be an interesting year.

Lets hope this team rises to the occasion, as I feel this is the best overall team that Indy has ever had (with exception of QB spot)

Still a JB supporter!

Lets hope that the playoffs give us sloppy weather, where a running attack is very valuable, and an elite, pin-point QB is marginalized

(remember Peyton in the playoffs, in the cold windy days?)

Agreed on all above.

JB looks better than i thought he would.  Holds the ball a lil long, but looks the part at times.

JB protects the ball better than Luck did at least.

The only thing i would add is the affect HEART  and TEAM can have.  And this team has it in spades.  We saw it down the stretch last year.

I look at Reid and see a coach who is good, but whose flaws will prevent him from ever winning a ring.  He's a good player's coach but too soft on fundamentals.  I honestly think Reich is a way better coach than Reid, his focus on the basics, clock management, time of possession etc is allowing this team to play well above its paper strength.

This is one of the reasons I pick this team to make the playoffs and potentially take the division.  I honestly believe we have the best coaching staff in the division.  When developing so much youngg talent, including a young, inexperienced QB, that matters a great deal.

• Like 1

I'm taking a very patient approach this year with most things on our roster. This includes Brissett. I don't mind giving him all the chances to prove himself. I want Reich to encourage him to look downfield more frequently. This should be evaluation year for the QB position.

From what I've seen so far, I don't think Brissett should be the long-term solution for us, but I don't exclude him changing my mind. To me he looks like a game manager who is either hesitant to pull the trigger on big time throws or lacks the vision and anticipation to make the throws. The announcers yesterday made some good points about him lacking the patience in certain situations where a big time throw was there for him to make to TY but he left that read prematurely. IMO things like this happen all the time and would be seen very clearly if we had the all 22 tape. You can see them even on the regular TV tape in a lot of situations. 

Maybe with more experience in the system and against less confusing defenses(the Titans actually do some wild things with their fronts and coverage setup that confuse QBs - for example even Mayfield fell prey to it last week),  Brissett will look better and will start to let it loose, so... I am good waiting for it and seeing how the season develops. I think Brissett deserves the chance to prove us right or wrong for most if not all the season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

In 2017 Brissett thew for over 300 yards twice.

In Tom Brady's first full year he threw for over 300 once. 

In Ben Roethlisberger's first year he threw for 300 once.

Russell Wilson ... none.

Imagine that.

Wow...pretty interesting point. Thanks for sharing. I think the Colts youth with Cain and Campbell is a factor on holding down the passing yards as well.

7 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

Wow...pretty interesting point. Thanks for sharing. I think the Colts youth with Cain and Campbell is a factor on holding down the passing yards as well.

Campbell  isn't  being used much. Needs to be thrown slants and crossing routes

If Ballard is as detailed as they say, I'm sure he has talked to his scouts about Brissett. They know if hes a good starter or not. Every game Brissett has played so far has lessened my confidence in his abilities. I've also been a big supporter and I will still support the team, but i could see Ballard going heavy defense in the next draft, let Brissett play out his contract, and then draft a franchise QB in the 2021 draft with a potentially great defense. 

But also, every snap that Brissett takes I can see how good this team overall really is. Yesterday was a slug fest in 100 degrees and the Colts came out on top. 

The best thing about the colts situation is they are exceptionally young and we can see the entire team hit their prime at roughly the same time especially if we do indeed draft a franchise QB in 2021. I can only see Ballard building this team up even more and he seems to be a genius with the cap.. 

People might be right about being set back 3-4 years if Brissett isn't the answer. Which is ok. I still think Ballard is going to find out franchise QB and we can still go on a dynasty run. In a way Luck retiring bought Ballard more time to build his team. 

46 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Are you referring to Brissett? He’s started a full season before, and been in the league 4 years now.  

That doesn't make anything I said untrue.  He's only got 1 year of starting experience, that's not a ton.  He's had time to absorb a lot of knowledge from the sidelines but putting it into practice in live games is another matter.

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

That doesn't make anything I said untrue.  He's only got 1 year of starting experience, that's not a ton.  He's had time to absorb a lot of knowledge from the sidelines but putting it into practice in live games is another matter.

Sounds like a lot more excuses for Jacoby.  Kinda like 2017 all over again. And don’t get me wrong, as I’m not down on Brissett, because I know he’s no Luck. My expectations are lower without Luck at QB, but remain very excited about the season. 

I just grow tired of excuses for why JB didn’t do this or that. 5-1 TD ratio is nice after two games. However, 23rd in total offense is concerning after 2 games with a great supporting cast. That hopefully changes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Sounds like a lot more excuses for Jacoby.  

Sounds like facts to me.  The FACT is that Jacoby Brissett is not very experienced at leading an NFL football team every Sunday. 

Believe me, I'm more than willing to make excuses for Brissett, I'm a fan of his after all.  But this isn't one.  It's something you have to factor in to your assessment of the guy, something you have to account for to make a fair judgment of what he is ahd what he could be.  He's not very experienced right now, that's not an excuse, it's just true, he still has some developing to do, and that's going to flavor what he does on the field.

The converse of that is that as he gains more experience, he may get better a things he's obviously a bit uncomfortable with right now, like reading defenses and anticipating where his receivers will be and getting the right touch on the ball to make sure your guy can catch it and the defender can't.  The things you can only really learn from direct gametime experience.

This is one of the reasons I do expect him to get better as the season goes on, especially if the team plays well around him and feeds his confidence and comfort level.

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Sounds like a lot more excuses for Jacoby.  Kinda like 2017 all over again. And don’t get me wrong, as I’m not down on Brissett, because I know he’s no Luck. My expectations are lower without Luck at QB, but remain very excited about the season. 

I just grow tired of excuses for why JB didn’t do this or that. 5-1 TD ratio is nice after two games. However, 23rd in total offense is concerning after 2 games with a great supporting cast. That hopefully changes.

Yea idk. I'll just wait for a game Brissett  has to sling like the chiefs game or maybe  the Falcons  game

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

The question I have is, can JB lead us to a SB?

In order to beat NE or KC, you will need to score a lot. Right now, it's a wait-and-see type of thing to see if the offense is capable of doing it. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I'm taking a very patient approach this year with most things on our roster. This includes Brissett. I don't mind giving him all the chances to prove himself. I want Reich to encourage him to look downfield more frequently. This should be evaluation year for the QB position.

From what I've seen so far, I don't think Brissett should be the long-term solution for us, but I don't exclude him changing my mind. To me he looks like a game manager who is either hesitant to pull the trigger on big time throws or lacks the vision and anticipation to make the throws. The announcers yesterday made some good points about him lacking the patience in certain situations where a big time throw was there for him to make to TY but he left that read prematurely. IMO things like this happen all the time and would be seen very clearly if we had the all 22 tape. You can see them even on the regular TV tape in a lot of situations. 

Maybe with more experience in the system and against less confusing defenses(the Titans actually do some wild things with their fronts and coverage setup that confuse QBs - for example even Mayfield fell prey to it last week),  Brissett will look better and will start to let it loose, so... I am good waiting for it and seeing how the season develops. I think Brissett deserves the chance to prove us right or wrong for most if not all the season. 

We all need to be patient with Jacoby.  It's only been two games and both on the road against good teams.  Many fans are using the term game manager in a derogatory sense.  In the early days of the NFL the term used most often was Field General.  A QB who took control of a team and used all of his offense to garner wins and championships.  The most famous being Bart Starr.  He personally didn't put up gaudy numbers but he used a well balanced offense and he had a great defense behind him.  Ballard seems to be building our team like the powerhouse teams of the old days.  He has said himself we will not be a team dependent on one player but as a team we are going to be very hard to handle.  It's still early for Jacoby.  He just might grow into being a Field General.  Not a superstar but a QB who could lead us to championship.  JMO.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I agree. This game was very 2017 (from an offensive standpoint)...the offense was dead after scoring two (somewhat aided) TDS. But this time...the defense stepped up and the Colts got the breaks needed and got the win.

I sort of feel like objectivity is taboo at this point when it comes to JB.

OH BOY …...What the NY (and Nation-wide NFL Media ) will do with this one lone singular twitter comment by NY Post Giants beat reporter Paul Schwatz >>>>

Paul Schwartz‏Verified account @NYPost_Schwartz 34m34 minutes ago

Copy link to Tweet

Embed Tweet

Pat Shurmur said he does not want to be dishonest. He simply is not ready to say Eli Manning starts the next game.

Just now, HOF19 said:

OH BOY …...What the NY (and Nation-wide NFL Media ) will do with this one lone singular twitter comment by NY Post Giants beat reporter Paul Schwatz >>>>

Paul Schwartz‏Verified account @NYPost_Schwartz 34m34 minutes ago

Copy link to Tweet

Embed Tweet

Pat Shurmur said he does not want to be dishonest. He simply is not ready to say Eli Manning starts the next game.

And will NFL teams start wondering about whether Manning would be on the trading block .

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Jacoby played pretty good the first game, this game he didn't play as good.  

I think he's sort of the guy who can lead a good team to a decent season. (Like Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick)  But he doesn't seem to have the talent to take over a game, or at the very least he hasn't displayed that yet.  

Maybe he needs time and more opportunity.  I'm sure he will get that.  But I'm not seeing him as the long term answer.  

I have to agree with you just seems like one of those that tops out as a very good backup and that's about it  

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

LOL look at this. Not to much of a difference.

There’s a big difference with the offenses from 2018-2019 after 2 games.

2018 the Colts averaged less than 100 rushing after 2 games, but 250 through the air.

2019 the Colts are 3rd rushing and 23 in total offense. 

Currently, the Colts are averaging 21 PPG, versus 27 PPG last season. Subject to change throughout the season. 

The drop in QB play is evident IMO after 2 games even with the 5-1 TD ratio. Subject to change and miss leading.

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

There’s a big difference with the offenses from 2018-2019 after 2 games.

2018 the Colts averaged less than 100 rushing after 2 games, but 250 through the air.

2019 the Colts in 3rd rushing and 23 in total offense. 

Currently, the Colts are averaging 21 PPG, versus 27 PPG last season. Subject to change throughout the season. 

The drop in QB play is evident IMO after 2 games even with the 5-1 TD ratio. Subject to change and miss leading.

What you say is technically true but it's important to note that we haven't had an easy matchup yet, and that the offense that we did get was enough to win each game, especially if Vinateiri wasn't in an epic slump.

Also that Reich isn't planning his games around JB7 as much as he did around Luck.  We're asking more of the rest of the offense and less of the QB.  That's an important factor that we're not used to considering and makes a direct comparison iffy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Are you referring to Brissett? He’s started a full season before, and been in the league 4 years now.  

that means nothing haven't you heard? lol he's being treated as a rookie some act like we need to see another 3 or 4 seasons for him to finally develop even tho he's probably fully developed after 4 years in the league.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

Also that Reich isn't planning his games around JB7 as much as he did around Luck.  We're asking more of the rest of the offense and less of the QB.  That's an important factor that we're not used to considering.

Brissett either fits Reich’s offense or he doesn’t. Reich was brought to Indy with the intent of installing his offense that utilized a backup QB (Foles) to a SB victory. 

I don’t understand where Reich needs to retool revamp his system to maybe make JB better. JB got the reps all season, either he figures it out or turn the page after the season if things don’t work out.  It’s not 2017 all over again. 

I’ll tell you 3 things that allow us to go far in the playoffs. . Our running game gets good positive yardage on 1st and 2nd downs. Our 3rd down success rate rate is good.  If we have 3rd and 1, JB can run the sneak successfully.  In other words, our running game can keep us alive because we are good on all downs including 4th if we have to.

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Currently, the Colts are averaging 21 PPG, versus 27 PPG last season. 

This is what is misleading because if AV's leg hadn't fallen off, the Colts would be averaging 25 points per game this year and their record would be 2-0. 

I know, I know, you want yards.

I want points.....and ball control....and that is what 5 TDs to 1 INT will get you.

1 minute ago, egg said:

This is what is misleading because if AV's leg hadn't fallen off, the Colts would be averaging 25 points per game this year and their record would be 2-0. 

I want points.....and ball control....and that is what 5 TDs to 1 INT will get you.

well you need yards sure you dont against Mariota's garbage * but you will need to throw for more to beat good teams it's not hard to understand really. averaging 5 yards a throw wont do crap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

Excellent point! We’ll can look at this more throughout the season.