Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack

csmopar

Just now, csmopar said:

I think he answered the questions people had going into this game. He flat tore up the a top 10 Defense a year ago, one that was top top 5 or close to it against the run.

His best half of football by far and in the end it was his best game.   But he was nothing in the first half.

If he can continue to play like he did in the second half I'll buy in.   

In the first half he had a lot of poor runs. Missed holes, missed cuts, * footing to the hole, running into back of guys.

The second half the line started to dominate and Mack started to hit the hole. 

A tail of 2 halves for sure. Need more of the 2nd half stuff, please.

Mack still frustrates me at times but he clearly has the ability when the blocking is there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

His best half of football by far and in the end it was his best game.   But he was nothing in the first half.

If he can continue to play like he did in the second half I'll buy in.   

He was 6th in the league last year having missed two games. His yard per attempt was second only to Zeke Elliot. He had a 150 yard  second half against one of the best D’s in the league. Not sure what’s left to buy into 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

He was 6th in the league last year having missed two games. His yard per attempt was second only to Zeke Elliot. He had a 150 yard  second half against one of the best D’s in the league. Not sure what’s left to buy into 

Well put. Not sure why there are still doubters.

• Like 3

I had questions about the running game, specifically the blocking...

Not so much now though. That was a really good showing. I'll have a lot of confidence in this team if we can ever jump out to a quick lead. That run game would do wonders chewing up the clocking with a one or two score lead.

• Like 3

Mack's going to have a hell of a year. If he stays pretty healthy, I predict 1600 yards- 10 tds easy... this running game is going to be very good. 

This offense will be fine. This defense will continue fine tuning things and get better each week. 

My biggest concern? Adam Viniateri. I can't feel confident with him after last year's finale and today's fiasco. He's cashed out... and could legitimately cost this team several wins and a playoff berth. 

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Very impressive by Mack today. If we use a balanced offense with him and Brissett, then our offense will be very hard to stop. Mack definitely knows how to hit the holes with this O-Line.

He showed patience today. And that's all that is needed with this o-line. They will create some holes. Just be patient and know when to attack. He did just that today. And he showed some speed breaking away on that touchdown run. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

so you do agree he had a % first half.  

Seems like a silly opinion lol. Did you count games against Andrew Luck when he had bad 1st halves but had an amazing 2nd half? "Sure he threw 4 2nd half tds but he only had 90 yards passing and a pick in the 1st half so it cancels out the good half"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

so you do agree he had a % first half.  

Can you name me a great back that doesn’t have a crappy half? 

In fact, I did a study a few years ago when arguing that Donald Brown simply needed more carries that clearly showed that MOST of the top tier backs very often gained a majority of their yards on a minority of their carries and very few RBs had excellent games when receiving fewer than 15 carries.  Plus consider, for an RB, it is WAY more important to have a stellar 2nd half of a game than a first half, generally speaking, and in fact, that is exactly how it went for a lot of RBs best rushing yard performances ... after doing little in the first half of a game, they take the game over in the 2nd half.  

16 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Mack's going to have a hell of a year. If he stays pretty healthy, I predict 1600 yards- 10 tds easy... this running game is going to be very good. 

This offense will be fine. This defense will continue fine tuning things and get better each week. 

My biggest concern? Adam Viniateri. I can't feel confident with him after last year's finale and today's fiasco. He's cashed out... and could legitimately cost this team several wins and a playoff berth. 

Staying healthy is the key!

• Like 3

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Seems like a silly opinion lol. Did you count games against Andrew Luck when he had bad 1st halves but had an amazing 2nd half? "Sure he threw 4 2nd half tds but he only had 90 yards passing and a pick in the 1st half so it cancels out the good half"

I posted in the game thread at the end of the half that Mack was not doing us any favors. He was having a terrible game.  total of 21 yards.  He had no vision, was missing the holes.  Much of what his career has been like.    

He put together a good run to end last season, and then it looked like he was going to revert back to the old Mack.  1 big run 5 runs of a yard or less .   rinse and repeat.

He came out in the second half and turned it on.   Maybe it was the oline, maybe it was coaching.  I don't know.   

I gave credit in the game thread once he started playing.

I just don't keep my blue shaded glasses on for any player that %s the bed in any half of a game.   Including Manning, Luck Reggie or anyone.

I also think having a more complete RB that can actually catch the ball out of the backfield more consistently would be a better option.

2 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

I posted in the game thread at the end of the half that Mack was not doing us any favors. He was having a terrible game.  total of 21 yards.  He had no vision, was missing the holes.  Much of what his career has been like.    

He put together a good run to end last season, and then it looked like he was going to revert back to the old Mack.  1 big run 5 runs of a yard or less .   rinse and repeat.

He came out in the second half and turned it on.   Maybe it was the oline, maybe it was coaching.  I don't know.   

I gave credit in the game thread once he started playing.

I just don't keep my blue shaded glasses on for any player that %s the bed in any half of a game.   Including Manning, Luck Reggie or anyone.

I also think having a more complete RB that can actually catch the ball out of the backfield more consistently would be a better option.

Dude he had 174 yards rushing what is wrong with you? Did Mack sleep with your wife or something?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Can you name me a great back that doesn’t have a crappy half? 

In fact, I did a study a few years ago when arguing that Donald Brown simply needed more carries that clearly showed that MOST of the top tier backs very often gained a majority of their yards on a minority of their carries and very few RBs had excellent games when receiving fewer than 15 carries.  Plus consider, for an RB, it is WAY more important to have a stellar 2nd half of a game than a first half, generally speaking, and in fact, that is exactly how it went for a lot of RBs best rushing yard performances ... after doing little in the first half of a game, they take the game over in the 2nd half.  

Staying healthy is the key!

I hope he does well.  I'd love to be wrong and turn into a Mack fan.     Just not there yet

And no He doesn't have to have 175+ a game to impress me

He reminded me a little bit of LaVeon Bell today.  In the second half anyway.  He let his blockers do their job and picked the right time to hit the hole when it was there.  Great start.  I still think we need a strong No.2 back who can run between the tackles.  I wish they would take another look at Ajai. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He reminded me a little bit of LaVeon Bell today.  In the second half anyway.  He let his blockers do their job and picked the right time to hit the hole when it was there.  Great start.  I still think we need a strong No.2 back who can run between the tackles.  I wish they would take another look at Ajai. 

They need to do something because as much as I love Hines as an APB he is not a natural RB IMO.

Ajai is Mack with receiving ability

• Like 1

Yes he struggled in the first half  ( of the fist game) but more than made up for in the 2nd.

It is not uncommon at all for running backs to put up pedestrian numbers early on and then get stronger and stronger as the game goes on. 

All things considered, the kid had a hell of a game! 

44 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

He came out in the second half and turned it on.   Maybe it was the oline, maybe it was coaching.  I don't know

I think it starts with coaching. Adjustments were made. Opportunities were given to the o-line to create holes, for Mack to stay patient until the point of attack, and then make plays... If we can consistently adjust at halftime like we did today, we are going to be in every. single. game this year. Every one of them. We obviously have work to do defensively and on special teams... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USFfan said:

Dude he had 174 yards rushing what is wrong with you? Did Mack sleep with your wife or something?

He played in 12 games last season.    5 of those games he had less than 40 yds per game.   He went over a 100 4 times.    He averaged 75.7 yards per game. (good . not great RB stats)

Today he rushed for 174 yards, which was great.  That included a 63 yd run for a TD.  Again great.

But along with this 174 game I am expecting a lot of 40 yard games again.   So I'm not going to apologize if I'm not completely on his bandwagon until he become consistent.

I hope he continues to improve and be a great back.  He's not there yet and we need another capable RB for those times where he struggles 

24 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

He played in 12 games last season.    5 of those games he had less than 40 yds per game.   He went over a 100 4 times.    He averaged 75.7 yards per game.

Today he rushed for 174 yards, which was great.  That included a 63 yd run for a TD.  Again great.

But along with this 174 game I am expecting a lot of 40 yard games again.   So I'm not going to apologize if I'm not completely on his bandwagon until he become consistent.

I hope he continues to improve and be a great back.  He's not there yet and we need another capable RB for those times where he struggles 

Since he came back from injury last year he has averaged over 5 yards a carry. That's more than Ezekiel Elliott. 

So who do you recommend the Colts upgrade him with? Ajayi? LOL He is sitting on the couch for a reason. 

It's funny that you say "that included a 63 yd TD run" as if that is a bad thing. You could make an argument he could've had more if he didn't run out of field on that TD run. 

Do you know what other RB had 170+ yards on the ground today? Literally nobody else. 

You obviously don't like Mack, what isn't obvious is why? 

27 minutes ago, USFfan said:

Since he came back from injury last year he has averaged over 5 yards a carry. That's more than Ezekiel Elliott. 

So who do you recommend the Colts upgrade him with? Ajayi? LOL He is sitting on the couch for a reason. 

It's funny that you say "that included a 63 yd TD run" as if that is a bad thing. You could make an argument he could've had more if he didn't run out of field on that TD run. 

Do you know what other RB had 170+ yards on the ground today? Literally nobody else. 

You obviously don't like Mack, what isn't obvious is why? 

The 63 yd run I stated was great.  Not sure what your talking about.  

As far as yds per carry Zeke carried a lot more than Mack.   So just throwing that stat out is not an accurate comparison.  

We shall see how he does as the season goes.  I dont expect he will be better than a top 12-15 back in the league.  

Again I hope I'm wrong