Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack

csmopar

33 minutes ago, USFfan said:

Since he came back from injury last year he has averaged over 5 yards a carry. That's more than Ezekiel Elliott. 

So who do you recommend the Colts upgrade him with? Ajayi? LOL He is sitting on the couch for a reason. 

It's funny that you say "that included a 63 yd TD run" as if that is a bad thing. You could make an argument he could've had more if he didn't run out of field on that TD run. 

Do you know what other RB had 170+ yards on the ground today? Literally nobody else. 

You obviously don't like Mack, what isn't obvious is why? 

I think he is just unable to admit when he is wrong.

Every single RB has good games, and bad games. Every single RB has good halves and bad halves. It's just how it goes. Saquon Barkley averaged 11 yards a carry today. Hes not gonna do that all year. So hes gonna have some games that pull his average down to around 5 yards a carry by the end of the season. He doesnt lack consistency, he is just human. The other team is trying to win too. They have great players as well.

Sometimes you have to give credit to the other team.

Marlon Mack was simply great today. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

The 63 yd run I stated was great.  Not sure what your talking about.  

As far as yds per carry Zeke carried a lot more than Mack.   So just throwing that stat out is not an accurate comparison. 

We shall see how he does as the season goes.  I dont expect he will be better than a top 12-15 back in the league.  

Again I hope I'm wrong

We are talking about 247 carries for Mack over that time, not one game. That's a season's worth of carries for the majority of lead backs.

So yes yards per carry is actually the most accurate stat to use for comparison. 

What stat would you rather use. Suspensions? Off the field issues? Salary?

You don't expect him to be a top 15 back based on what? You haven't given any examples except he had a slow first half where he ended up finishing with 174 yds a TD and a game tying 2 point conversion to go to OT.

1 hour ago, USFfan said:

So who do you recommend the Colts upgrade him with? Ajayi? LOL He is sitting on the couch for a reason. 

Thanks for posting what I was thinking.

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

I think he is just unable to admit when he is wrong.

Every single RB has good games, and bad games. Every single RB has good halves and bad halves. It's just how it goes. Saquon Barkley averaged 11 yards a carry today. Hes not gonna do that all year. So hes gonna have some games that pull his average down to around 5 yards a carry by the end of the season. He doesnt lack consistency, he is just human. The other team is trying to win too. They have great players as well.

Sometimes you have to give credit to the other team.

Marlon Mack was simply great today. 

Spot on.

Btw, If bad halves or games are indicators, what did we do to Elliot last year?

13 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

He had 87 yards against us last yr

Yes. 

Elliot in that game - 18 carries, 87 yds, 0 tds 

Mack today in Cali - 25 carries, 174 yds, 1td 

Literally twice the yards. And the Cowboys line was considered the best in the NFL last season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think he answered the questions people had going into this game. He flat tore up the a top 10 Defense a year ago, one that was top top 5 or close to it against the run.

But, but, but... we coulda had Bell, or Hunt, or Elliott, or Gordon (or Ajayi lol)  :sarcasm:

I hope we see more stacked boxes now.  Jacoby would really benefit from our opponents being more concerned about Mack.

This could really help open up the passing game.  :thmup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mack is plenty good enough for us to win. I cannot figure why people continue to clamor for every high profile back that becomes available on the market or in FA or in the draft. Mack is not perfect and he leaves some yards on the field sometimes, but he gives you great bang for the resources we've invested in the position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

His best half of football by far and in the end it was his best game.   But he was nothing in the first half.

If he can continue to play like he did in the second half I'll buy in.   

I’ve always believed you should judge a running back on what he does in the 2nd half/late in the game. That’s where they can truly leave their mark on a game IMO. Wait for the D to wear down and go to work!

Marlon made me proud today

10 hours ago, jszfunk said:

He did great.....Dont forget the  O Line,,they made a good portion of that possible.

Not trying to pick a fight with a fellow Colt fan, but that sounds very John Madden of you. No running back has any success without an O line paving the way. Obviously the line was/is great, but he capitalized on the opportunities they presented him

9 hours ago, bhougland said:

I thought he looked great, only wish he was better at catching out of the backfield.  hines on the other hand...

He may not be bad at receiving out of the backfield...but we have Hines!!! I’m a real fan of our two headed monster in the backfield. I think Hines has a lot of unrealized potential but only because there are so many other dogs that need to eat before we get to him

9 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

How was his first half?     He's no threat in the passing game.   Although he is a good blocker

First of all that was one of the best D lines in the league. Secondly, the truly special backs get better as the game goes on, not peak in the first half. The better a rb gets later in the game makes the defense play more honest, which opens up everything else. Personally I couldn’t be happier with his play start to finish

Did Mack finally put on glasses in the 2nd half? 

His vision was terrible in the first half and he kept running into his own players. Then the 2nd half he finally saw holes and got skinny like Gore used to. He was two different players. 

The Colts also need to stop running to the outside. That's not this O-Line's strengths. 

Also, good job to Mack on the 2 pt conversion! (even though we should've been leading at that point) That was sure will and determination. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Did Mack finally put on glasses in the 2nd half? 

His vision was terrible in the first half and he kept running into his own players. Then the 2nd half he finally saw holes and got skinny like Gore used to. He was two different players. 

The Colts also need to stop running to the outside. That's not this O-Line's strengths. 

Also, good job to Mack on the 2 pt conversion! (even though we should've been leading at that point) That was sure will and determination. 

I was thinking the same thing yesterday while watching the game.    It seemed like boom or bust.  Either gain 5 yards or lose 4 yards.  

I think Mack is fully capable of being the lead RB.   I don't think he is a top 5-8 RB in the league, but with this O-line his numbers may put him there.   I was a little surprised that we didn't see a backup (besides Hines).    

I think the bottom line is that based on our investment in rb, it's hard to make a case that he's not delivering. His average would've come out to  1200 yds if he didn't get injured last season. How did Bell do in game 1 with the Jets? What about Zeke against the Giants? How does Mack stack up with their numbers in comparison to how much we're paying him?