Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders release Antonio Brown! (merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

Sunk cost. 

Is the potential damage he might do to this team worth the possible upside?  That is what they would need to determine.

I don't know their cap situation.  Do they have 30 million available?

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

maybe everyone else is the problem instead of him :peek:

Yeah,   I'm sure that's it 

2 hours ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

No way Ballard would go after him but this doesn’t surprise me and I don’t fully blame Antonio. AB in Pittsburgh had to deal with Big Ben who seems like a * and Tomlin clearly had no control of his team therefore things built up. 

AB needed a fresh start and where does he end up? Gruden and Mayock!? Of all the teams in the league that was personality wise probably the worst possible fit for him. I think the Colts have some people in key spots that would actually allow him to be a fit in Indy but it’ll never happen. 

Just maybe it was Brown and Bell who made Ben a * and caused Tomlin to lose control? 

Both Ben and Tomlin were doing just fine before those two players arrived. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Possibly, I think Luck could possibly have early signs of it too unfortunately. Sometimes it makes me wonder about players that do surprising things at odd times or act out of character or just act disruptive like Brown has.

Personally I think he is suffering from Diva Syndrome. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Superman said:

If they try to void his guarantees, this will be a lengthy legal battle. I don't think there's any solid precedent for a team suspension voiding a player's guaranteed money.

As a reference, when the Colts suspended Trent Richardson in the 2014 playoffs, then cut him the following offseason, they tried to recoup his guaranteed money. He filed a grievance, and the two sides settled for a small percentage of the voided money. See links below if you want more details on that.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12476229/trent-richardson-files-grievance-indianapolis-colts

https://www.pnj.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/08/31/richardsons-nfl-career-doubt-cut-raiders/71494340/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-what-happens-if-raiders-try-to-void-antonio-browns-guarantees-in-his-contract/

So if the Raiders really tried to void Brown's contract over a team suspension, you can expect a full court press from the NFLPA and Brown's lawyers. This during extensive CBA negotiations. I think that's a long shot. The rest of the NFL will be imploring the Raiders not to pursue that action.

They were just talking about this on ESPN, apparently there is a clause in AB’s contract that states they can void his guaranteed monies should he participate or act in a way that is detrimental to the team.  

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

They eventually fined AB, but I think they would have better been better off serving AB with a '5 day letter' during the foot/helmet fiasco, and potentially have cause to place him on the Reserve/Left Squad list (if he didn't show up). That would have shut AB down for the 2019 season (no salary) and forfeit the guaranteed salary on his contract.

52 minutes ago, csmopar said:

They were just talking about this on ESPN, apparently there is a clause in AB’s contract that states they can void his guaranteed monies should he participate or act in a way that is detrimental to the team.  

Would like to know the exact language.  Maybe there's another way, but the '5 day letter' seems to be the line in the sand.  Can they rescind guaranteed money on an active/left squad status, or do they have to do 5 day letter and move him to reserve/left squad list if he doesn't respond?

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They eventually fined AB, but I think they would have better been better off serving AB with a '5 day letter' during the foot/helmet fiasco, and potentially have cause to place him on the Reserve/Left Squad list (if he didn't show up). That would have shut AB down for the 2019 season (no salary) and forfeit the guaranteed salary on his contract.

Would like to know the exact language.  Maybe there's another way, but the '5 day letter' seems to be the line in the sand.  Can they rescind guaranteed money on an active/left squad status, or do they have to do 5 day letter and move him to reserve/left squad list if he doesn't respond?

The talking heads on TV saying they can suspend him for those actions as it appears they’ve already been sending him former letters along with the fines

6 hours ago, Superman said:

In case it wasn't clear, my initial post was purely sarcasm.

Trust me Superman, those who know you or are familiar with your presence on the forum knew this immediately. No elaboration or clarification was necessary. 

11 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He is a cancer.TO 2.0

Oh no, AB is a whole new level of the train has come off the tracks. Look, I get that Terrell Owens gets a bum rap due to how things ended in Philly & deciding not to give his HOF in Canton, Ohio with the rest of his NFL class. However, TO was a model citizen in Cincinnati & Buffalo near the end of his career. The guy always moved the chains on the field when it mattered & he always showed up in shape & ready to work. 

I vehemently disagree with your AB & TO comparison. Yes, both WRs had psychological issues, but I know I could rely on TO in the foxhole when your squad desperately needs a momentum swing ASAP. TO knew when it was time to grind it out & put points on the board man. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I think he is suffering from Diva Syndrome. 

Uh huh. AB got his money & felt he was on easy street. More consumed with his bank account instead of earning the respect of his new teammates & coaching staff. 

Just to echo what @2006Coltsbestever said, yes, it's nice to see you back again CC1. :thmup: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Uh huh. AB got his money & felt he was on easy street. More consumed with his bank account instead of earning the respect of his new teammates & coaching staff. 

Just to echo what @2006Coltsbestever said, yes, it's nice to see you back again CC1. :thmup: 

Feeling is mutual. Glad to see your back in action. :number1:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Feeling is mutual. Glad to see your back in action. :number1:

Very kind of you to say CC1. Thank you. 

The check is in the mail. Oh wait, you wanted me to sign it too? Details; details...

Oh well, it's the thought that counts right? Welcome back brother. You were missed man. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't know their cap situation.  Do they have 30 million available?

Yeah,   I'm sure that's it 

I don't think they need to have 30 mil available to not play him, not allow him to suit up or be on the sidelines.  I am not exactly sure.  

I just don't think I would be interested in watching the drama spread.  It would be worth the financial loss to protect the rest of the team.

Does anyone think there's a chance he doesn't play this year? With that $30M cap hit, I think he would play at some point. He's got to get his crap together. Is this just his jerk mentality or is there something mentally wrong going on with him to behave this way?

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Does anyone think there's a chance he doesn't play this year? With that $30M cap hit, I think he would play at some point. He's got to get his crap together. Is this just his jerk mentality or is there something mentally wrong going on with him to behave this way?

Well if they are able to void his contact I don’t think there will be a cap hit. They were actually smart and put things in his contact that it might be possible to void it.

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Trust me Superman, those who know you or are familiar with your presence on the forum knew this immediately. No elaboration or clarification was necessary. 

Oh no, AB is a whole new level of the train has come off the tracks. Look, I get that Terrell Owens gets a bum rap due to how things ended in Philly & deciding not to give his HOF in Canton, Ohio with the rest of his NFL class. However, TO was a model citizen in Cincinnati & Buffalo near the end of his career. The guy always moved the chains on the field when it mattered & he always showed up in shape & ready to work. 

I vehemently disagree with your AB & TO comparison. Yes, both WRs had psychological issues, but I know I could rely on TO in the foxhole when your squad desperately needs a momentum swing ASAP. TO knew when it was time to grind it out & put points on the board man. 

Ya but how he acted in Dallas and with the eagles earned him that cancer name.

12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Spot on. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Gruden just said he AB is back with the team, and plans on playing Monday Night.

"Antonio's back today," Gurden said. "We're really excited about that. Ready to move on. He's had a lot of time to think about things and we're happy to have him back."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-reportedly-could-still-play-for-raiders-in-week-1-against-broncos/

Must have been one heck of a meeting between Mayock, Gruden, possibly the Owner, and team.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, Stephen A Smith on ESPN just reported AB is playing. Apparently Gruden runs that team not Mayock lmao . 

I'll tell you one thing, if those Mayock levied fines to AB for missing meetings were retracted, Gruden will have 10 years of problems getting his players to meetings.  That and keeping players from posting team/player business on Instagram...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Antonio-Brown-reveals-preseason-fines-14413224.php?psid=lz5GM

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'll tell you one thing, if those Mayock levied fines to AB for missing meetings were retracted, Gruden will have 10 years of problems getting his players to meetings.  That and keeping players from posting team/player business on Instagram...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Antonio-Brown-reveals-preseason-fines-14413224.php?psid=lz5GM

Yeah that team is a mess, I am surprised Carr doesn't want out of there.

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

LOL. He just posted this.

Brown is so insecure and needs validation all the time. He loves it when Gruden and others are  fawning over him  :worthy: . 

Glad to have team guys like Diggs and Thielen as Vikes wide receivers. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya but how he acted in Dallas and with the eagles earned him that cancer name.

True, how things ended in Philadelphia weren't pretty or less than ideal. I will admit that TO left head coach Andy Reid with no other choice then to cut him loose. No argument there.

But, let's not forget that TO played in  Super Bowl XXXIX against the Pats after he more or less lived in a hyperbaric chamber to repair a fractured fibula to even play in that game shall we. So many NFL fans gloss over that fact or conveniently neglect to mention that fact. All they remember is a disagreement TO had with QB Donovan McNabb. A very distorted picture/incomplete recollection. 

As far as Dallas is concerned, owner Jerry Jones loves to make a splash & sign marquee stars like Charles Hailey, TO, & Deion Sanders. Jerry himself alone is the biggest liability to the franchise. The guy never shuts up going on & on about how relevant they are as an organization. What a joke & TO all by his lonesome was the cancer there? Now, that's funny...

On 9/5/2019 at 4:37 PM, aaron11 said:

yeah its getting hard to defend this guy.  they should look into CTE or whatever

If this keeps up his very namesake could wind up being a new acronym coined by the psychiatric community.... A.B.S.U.R.D 

Antonio Brown Selfish Unruly Rebellious Disorder

One basic thought said different ways:

I agree with this decision.  It shows that either Gruden or Mayock have the thick skin needed to hold their positions.

So what if Brown pops off to the GM, what's the real harm?  Why punish the whole team and the fans ability to enjoy a winning season just because the GM gets a little butt hurt with words. 

Brown's job is to play football.  To play the WR position very well.  If whatever weird thoughts are going on in Browns weird head start to effect his game play, then yank him.

But for now, he's simply a really weird guy who has multiple chips on his shoulders about every slightest thing and lets off steam in a really weird way.  At least its just words.  Its not anything worse than that.

So let him play.  See what happens.  Let him complain about every little petty thing, develop an image of being a real *, have the whole word think of him as a complete nut.  That's on him. 

As long as this guy with the really weird, petty, arrogant personality who has been basically harmless so far,  plays the WR position well, let him play. 

So let him pop off between games about really stupid stuff, and create a personal image of being a stupid man, if that's what he needs.