Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Things to come from Campbell

CR91

Parris made a great play here. But from a QB standpoint, this was the one throw tonight where I couldn't help but wonder, "can Brissett make that throw with the same mix of touch and velocity?"

At the same time, I think Brissett would've put up a much better deep ball to Campbell than the pass from Kelly that got intercepted.

• Like 2

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Parris made a great play here. But from a QB standpoint, this was the one throw tonight where I couldn't help but wonder, "can Brissett make that throw?"

At the same time, I think Brissett would've put up a much better deep ball to Campbell than the pass that got intercepted from Kelly. 

You need to get into the mindset that this is what Campbell does.    He’s young he’s not a stretch the field guy yet.   

Hes is a GREAT slot receiver 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DerekDiggler said:

You need to get into the mindset that this is what Campbell does.    He’s young he’s not a stretch the field guy yet.   

Hes is a GREAT slot receiver 

Oh, I'm not talking down on Campbell one bit. I'm just talking about QB play.

I think he could've easily had a TD on that INT had he gotten a much better ball.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Parris made a great play here. But from a QB standpoint, this was the one throw tonight where I couldn't help but wonder, "can Brissett make that throw?"

At the same time, I think Brissett would've put up a much better deep ball to Campbell than the pass that got intercepted from Kelly. 

I think that miss had more to do with timing. Campbell is so fast I don’t think Kelly expected that. It will take a little for JB and Parris to get that chemistry going on deeper balls.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think that miss had more to do with timing. Campbell is so fast I don’t think Kelly expected that. It will take a little for JB and Parris to get that chemistry going on deeper balls.

Yeah, I think you're right about Kelly underestimating Campbell on that one. Kelly looked disappointed in himself.

In regards to Brissett, I'm very confident in his ability to deliver on those kinds of throws. He just seems to have really good instincts on the deep ball. At the very least, he rarely ever underthrows it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I think you're right about Kelly underestimating Campbell on that one. Kelly looked disappointed in himself.

In regards to Brissett, I'm very confident in his ability to deliver on those kinds of throws. He just seems to have really good instincts on the deep ball. At the very least, he rarely ever underthrows it.

Brissett  would have hit that deep throw. Hilton, funchess,  cain, and campbell on the field at once. That will be tough to defend 

• Like 1

Man him in the slot with TY, Cain, Devin, Doyle, Ebron, and Hines out of the backfield...

If Brissett fails it won’t be from lack of weapons.  That can’t be said about him in 2017 when he pretty much just had TY and Doyle.  That’s one of the reasons I expect Brissett to be better.  He has better players around him.

However, this isn’t about Brissett it’s about Campbell and I think based on just tonight there is a large reason to be excited about him.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Man him in the slot with TY, Cain, Devin, Doyle, Ebron, and Hines out of the backfield...

If Brissett fails it won’t be from lack of weapons.  That can’t be said about him in 2017 when he pretty much just had TY and Doyle.  That’s one of the reasons I expect Brissett to be better.  He has better players around him.

However, this isn’t about Brissett it’s about Campbell and I think based on just tonight there is a large reason to be excited about him.

I think Rogers will only see the field for PR. We plan on using DF In the slot too. Cain will earn that spot beside TY. We have a lot of guys we need to get the ball to.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Rogers will only see the field for PR. We plan on using DF In the slot too. Cain will earn that spot beside TY. We have a lot of guys we need to get the ball to.

I'd go five wide in the redzone. No way could they defend Ebron, funchess, cain, cambell, and Hilton 

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

image.png.80c450d2c7231a7e06fc246f18e18037.png

Lol

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I'd go five wide in the redzone. No way could they defend Ebron, funchess, cain, cambell, and Hilton 

Lol

No but they can overload blitz and get to Brissett before he can get it off to one of those guys.  That’s why teams don’t do that all the time and keep a back in there to keep the other team honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

No but they can overload blitz and get to Brissett before he can get it off to one of those guys.  That’s why teams don’t do that all the time and keep a back in there to keep the other team honest.

They could try but if done right he could get ball to wr before  they get there.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

TY, Parris, and Cain. We are so fast.  That doesn’t even include Hines. I am going to be interested to see how many passes Hines gets this year. Then add the big body of DF. Holy crap.

Plus Ebron and Doyle, we’ve got some weapons at Wr and Te finally. 

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

Remember, Campbell was playing against practice squad player so last night means nothing.

Isn't that supposed to be the defacto statement when people ooh and ahh over a player in preseason?

:excited:

Yep, he’s Caesar Rayford 2.0:funny:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

.......I couldn't help but wonder, "can Brissett make that throw with the same mix of touch and velocity?"

I've seen other posters make similar remarks about Brissett. 

How did Jack Doyle catch 80 passes in 2017 and go to the pro-bowl if Brissett throws a shorter pass that is hard to catch?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand where this comes from.

Are there examples of Brissett throwing a ball that is too hot to handle? .... Help me!

30 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I am talking about the regular season. Most people think he should throw quick short passes to be safe but why not do what he’s good at.

Someone feel free to chime in, but I’m not sure Brissett fits F. Reich’s offense. So, letting JB do what he’s good at may not maximize the Colts offensive potential. 

22 minutes ago, egg said:

How did Jack Doyle catch 80 passes in 2017 and go to the pro-bowl if Brissett throws a shorter pass that is hard to catch?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand where this comes from.

Are there examples of Brissett throwing a ball that is too hot to handle? .... Help me!

JB will have to show a bit more touch on the ball that we saw in 2017

He has a good, powerful arm. That is clear.

He also is reported to have good leadership skills (needed for NFL QBs)

He limits his interceptions..... (Probably better than Andrew)

He has some wheels, when needed, and is tough as nails

(the guy kept getting up when the OL was a allowing EVERYONE into the backfield)

You have to root for this guy..... he seems to be a good team first kinda guy

However

There are some things that might be of concern

1) Relatively slow release

2) Intermediate pass accuracy/proper velocity

3) To me, the defense reads, if first choice is covered doesnt seem quick

These are from 2017, and maybe he has improved with practice time

Give the kid a chance to show what he has...... I think he will do better than most think he can

If we start 0-6, I will be one of the people wanting to see what Kelly can do though

Back to OP

I am EXCITED to see Campbell play

Ohio State, by design, spread the ball around.

If he is healthy, he is a STRONG candidate for the all rookie team. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, egg said:

Thanks for the reallity Egg. A lot of clueless going on here.
 Brissett should be expected to have as good or better touch in the short to medium range game than the dearly departed. 
Gee whizz, it may take 6 games to get there, but i don't expect us to go 1-5 while getting there.

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

However

There are some things that might be of concern

1) Relatively slow release

2) Intermediate pass accuracy/proper velocity

3) To me, the defense reads, if first choice is covered doesnt seem quick

These are from 2017, and maybe he has improved with practice time

Give the kid a chance to show what he has...... I think he will do better than most think he can

Yeah, as the guy who egg was quoting., I'm not hating on JB by any means. Was only pointing out one area where I think Kelly might be better/an area where Brissett has struggled. But yeah, Brissett's the guy this year.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, egg said:

Are there examples of Brissett throwing a ball that is too hot to handle?

It comes from 15 games of watching him play. There are numerous examples of Brissett throwing balls without proper touch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Campbell got them wheels! I'd like to see him put two arms around that ball though. 

That was a sweet side arm throw by Kelly as well. 

Looks like an exciting big play player. Would like to see him be a bit more fundamentally sound carrying that's ball in his right hand while running to his right.

Sorry, but did you watch him in 2017?  He has no touch on RB pass in the flat and screens, he throws too high and hard which is why Marlon Mack had so much trouble catching passes with him.  Do you remember the pass he threw Andrew that nearly got him killed?!!

1 minute ago, bhougland said:

Sorry, but did you watch him in 2017?  He has no touch on RB pass in the flat and screens, he throws too high and hard which is why Marlon Mack had so much trouble catching passes with him.  Do you remember the pass he threw Andrew that nearly got him killed?!!

You do realize that was 2017 and basically his rookie season. He had no coaching and a bad team. You don’t think he could of improved.

You do realize that was 2017 and basically his rookie season. He had no coaching and a bad team. You don’t think he could of improved.

Do you know that he improved? He didn't really show it in preseason (with limited snaps).