Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Things to come from Campbell

CR91

1 hour ago, Superman said:

It comes from 15 games of watching him play. There are numerous examples of Brissett throwing balls without proper touch.

The good news is though that was 2 years ago and he has much better coaching and players around him. He very well may be a lot better at throwing with touch this year. 

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Someone feel free to chime in, but I’m not sure Brissett fits F. Reich’s offense. So, letting JB do what he’s good at may not maximize the Colts offensive potential. 

I guess I never looked at it that way, but it will become REAL CLEAR...... REAL QUICK

I do think that they will tweak the offense a bit to fit JBs strengths

We will see if he can mold himself successfully into the needed role

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

The good news is though that was 2 years ago and he has much better coaching and players around him. He very well may be a lot better at throwing with touch this year. 

Absolutely, I'm just saying it's not a made up concern.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thanks for the reallity Egg. A lot of clueless going on here.
 Brissett should be expected to have as good or better touch in the short to medium range game than the dearly departed. 
Gee whizz, it may take 6 games to get there, but i don't expect us to go 1-5 while getting there.

I'll never forget the game in London where the Colts needed to convert on 4th down near the end of the game. D. Allen was wide open right in front of Luck. Luck "pushed" the ball to Allen like he was trying to throw a cantaloupe.  The 5 yard pass was uncatchable. Game over.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

It comes from 15 games of watching him play. There are numerous examples of Brissett throwing balls without proper touch.

I watched every game too. Not once do I remember thinking "That would have been a reception if it was not thrown so hard".

Not saying it never happened. I'll be watching more closely this year.

1 hour ago, bhougland said:

Sorry, but did you watch him in 2017?  He has no touch on RB pass in the flat and screens, he throws too high and hard which is why Marlon Mack had so much trouble catching passes with him.  Do you remember the pass he threw Andrew that nearly got him killed?!!

Yes, I watched every game. I never noticed an unusual lack of "touch" on passes.

I think we can blame the play caller for that long, high pass he threw to Andrew.

Luck threw plenty of passes that were too high when he played.

9 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

If our Oline plays well, JB will have time to hold the ball a bit longer which he is prone to do. It’s not what we want but it would give our receivers time to get into their breaks and get separation. Making JBs job easier.

You have no idea what he is prone to do NOW.
 Without guys immediately on top of him, and in this quick hitting offense, he should be very good. The last guy had ALWAYS struggled with timing and accuracy in the short to mid game. Heck, we might even put screens back in the playbook with the robo gone.

34 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You have no idea what he is prone to do NOW.
 Without guys immediately on top of him, and in this quick hitting offense, he should be very good. The last guy had ALWAYS struggled with timing and accuracy in the short to mid game. Heck, we might even put screens back in the playbook with the robo gone.

screens? We didn’t in training camp and Jacoby was our 1st team QB. 

5 hours ago, bhougland said:

Do you know that he improved? He didn't really show it in preseason (with limited snaps).

He did in the browns  game. His pocket presence  looked similar to Luck's. Now every  thing else we will find out soon enough 

19 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

You need to get into the mindset that this is what Campbell does.    He’s young he’s not a stretch the field guy yet.   

Hes is a GREAT slot receiver 

that's what I like to hear.  A good slot receiver is worth his weight in touchdowns.  The best teams are the ones that master the field position and time of possession game and  that's where the slot guys can really help you.

This is the neighborhood the Patriots have lived at for 20 years now.  If you want a chance against the best NFL teams you need to be able to dink and dunk, move the chains, burn the clock and extend drives.  It's part of how great teams impose their will on their opponents.

and if your slot weapons are eating the defense alive, they're more likely to be in a cover-1 or man to man defense that allows you to exploit our deep options

So yeah, color me delighted with any progress in the short pass game.  I want that to be something we're known for as a major team specialty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Brissett will be fine. He won't lose us any games. The Colts will be an enjoyable team to watch with him behind Center. The question is, can he make the plays down the stretch of close games that Andrew Luck could? If he can, then he can be the future at QB. 

This is the only question mark I have with JB. Hopefully with all the weapons we will be able to make those clutch plays.

I've said this quite a few times on here, when people were questioning Campbell's routes at OSU, these types of plays with him are what kept Haskins upright the majority of the season. OSU's line was awful last year and Paris was the one guy Haskins could trust to be open in a hurry if things broke down. He will be for Brissett exactly what he was for Haskins. Granted this OL should be at least what it was last year, as in being very good, but Brissett shouldn't have any problems with getting rid of the ball in a hurry, if teams blitz, because Paris will likely be open. Let teams get burnt a few times by Paris and see how much they blitz after that, it won't be much. I'm not so sure that he isn't the Colts' "deadliest" weapon right now.