Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Injury (Merge)

csmopar

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He threw for 39 TD's and 4500 Yards and let us to 10 wins, so his shoulder is fine. If he could put up those kinds of numbers with a bad shoulder than he's the greatest QB of all-time by a mile.

Yes I know the shoulder is ok.

I am saying he may not be ok in the head mentally when it comes to overcoming pain.

Every NFL player is going to have pains.  Hell I wake up every day in pain in my shoulder, knee, elbow, wrist.  You just kind of shrug it off and do your normal thing.  In  my case lifting 5 days a week, bowling 3 times a week, bball, golf, tennis etc.  Granted I am not a NFL QB and I am not trying to compare myself, but I saw him in TC.  He looked fine.  Certainly was not limping.

Has he gotten to the point where any amount of pain scares him to the point of not wanting to play in the fear things will get worse like the shoulder did?

Something to think about.

1 minute ago, Old Colt said:

They did say they discussed surgery.  Why discuss it if there was no issue and all it needs is rest.  That's why I don't think we see him at all in preseason and would not be shocked if he has to have surgery before, during or after this season.  something undisclosed is going on that rest isn't fixing.

What would really be crappy if something needs surgery why was it not done 3 months ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

That poster was talking about if his shoulder was fine. It is. It’s what that injury did to him mentally when it comes to aches and pains.

It is called being cautious. I used to run 7 miles a day in my 20's and 30's and have even ran in the mini-marathon here in Indy. I have had hamstring issues, ankle and feet issues. Once you feel something isn't right, you become careful and try to rest to make sure you are 100%. He learned after his shoulder injury to be more wise regarding other injuries.

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

OR perhaps he keep re-injuring the darn thing with his lifting routines.

Apparently he is lifting heavier all the time.

From someone who lifts, that is possible.  I have already torn my left rotator cuff from lifting 3 years ago, and it took about a year and a half to get better.  This winter I felt my right one starting to go while lifting (you can feel the shoulder start to slip out of joint-hurt all the time etc) and finally had to take 2 months off of lifting, which I hadn't done in 15 years. 

Although an ankle/calf injury is not something normally associated with lifting weights.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is called being cautious. I used to run 7 miles a day in my 20's and 30's and have even ran in the mini-marathon here in Indy. I have had hamstring issues, ankle and feet issues. Once you feel something isn't right, you become careful and try to rest to make sure you are 100%. He learned after his shoulder injury to be more wise regarding other injuries.

If you think it is the calf still bothering him you are naive. No calf takes this long. There is something else going on.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What would really be crappy if something needs surgery why was it not done 3 months ago.

Bingo.

One thing I have really noticed in pro sports as of late is the time wasted trying to heal an injury on its own rather than just having the surgery and getting it taken care of.  I see that more and more and it blows my mind.  If I was a pro baseball pitcher and had a bad shoulder and was told you can have surgery and be off 3 months but the shoulder will be brand new, or try and rehab it for 3-4 weeks and 'hope' it gets better?

I take the surgery every time.

99% of the time when these guys try and rehab, they just end up having surgery later on anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Bingo.

One thing I have really noticed in pro sports as of late is the time wasted trying to heal an injury on its own rather than just having the surgery and getting it taken care of.  I see that more and more and it blows my mind.  If I was a pro baseball pitcher and had a bad shoulder and was told you can have surgery and be off 3 months but the shoulder will be brand new, or try and rehab it for 3-4 weeks and 'hope' it gets better?

I take the surgery every time.

99% of the time when these guys try and rehab, they just end up having surgery later on anyway.

Ok that is a good point but Luck has already said he has had scans and MRI's and the doctors said he didn't need surgery to correct anything.

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Would be a fireable offense for the medical team IMO to rest this long and then still require surgery.

Was optimistic about him and him playing, but now not so much.  Today’s news should turn any optimism to straight pessimism.  Wouldn’t shock me at all now if misses significant time during the season.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know. It just isn’t the calf. Maybe he hurt his ankle. This has been going on months and it hasn’t got better.

According to Luck --who really should be the main source of information on this -- stated that he had felt pain in his left ankle/calf after a preseason practice and was worried that it would get worse if he continued practicing. He decided that it would be better to let it fully heal.

It must have been fairly severe since he mentioned that he had it scanned to see if there were any muscle tears, swelling, or if it could lead to an Achilles tear.

Based on his last interview, just two or three days ago, he said that the pain is still there, but it's progressing and the pain is getting less, which has given him some relief. He thinks he'll be ready for the season opener, which to me means we will not see him at all during the preseason.

1 minute ago, Nate! said:

Would be a fireable offense for the medical team IMO to rest this long and then still require surgery.

Was optimistic about him and him playing, but now not so much.  Today’s news should turn any optimism to straight pessimism.  Wouldn’t shock me at all now if misses significant time during the season.

Really awkward the simpsons GIF

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I noticed that too.  Thought it was really odd.

I saw him kind of go through half way practices and he didn't limp, didn't favor the leg, wasn't rubbing it or stretching it.

Bizarre.

He’s a food actor maybe?

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

According to Luck --who really should be the main source of information on this -- stated that he had felt pain in his left ankle/calf after a preseason practice and was worried that it would get worse if he continued practicing. He decided that it would be better to let it fully heal.

It must have been fairly severe since he mentioned that he had it scanned to see if there were any muscle tears, swelling, or if it could lead to an Achilles tear.

Based on his last interview, just two or three days ago, he said that the pain is still there, but it's progressing and the pain is getting less, which has given him some relief. He thinks he'll be ready for the season opener, which to me means we will not see him at all during the preseason.

I don’t care about the preseason games. The reps and practice in camp is what is important and he is not participating.

I'm not yet bothered about it. Luck is smart and the organisation hopefully learned about how to handle an injury with him. Preseason is not where he will get his groove going into the regular season. Let's get Brissett out there and  see what he can do before we make a decision about his future. I want to see Andrew Week 1 and not during the pre season. 

If you watch Hardknocks you see the Raiders staff continuously telling AB to sit his butt down and rest, no matter how much he wants to be out there. 

Seeing people asking us to move on from Luck because of this is hilarious though :lol: 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think that is the issue. The issue is they are not telling the truth and how this team is not going to be sharp starting week 1.

We havent won a season opener since 2013 even when Luck was healthy

I’m somewhere between calm and Chloe on this situation. I have no doubt in my mind tho that we were under sold and not given the full truth about this injury. Im cautiously  optimistic that he will be ready for Game 1 but wouldn’t be surprised if not

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So much for no luck drama in the off season. It just seems to follow him around.

No. The drama is being created by fans.

I still don't understand the need by anyone to point fingers and declare "less than honest" communication by Luck or the team. Is it not possible that he hurt it at the end of last year...had some time off in the offseason, and reinjured it lifting weights? Why must there always be a declaration of dishonesty? What on earth would be the advantage of lying about this? I guess I am not driven with the need to assign blame. Maybe stuff just happens. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I’m somewhere between calm and Chloe on this situation. I have no doubt in my mind tho that we were under sold and not given the full truth about this injury. Im cautiously  optimistic that he will be ready for Game 1 but wouldn’t be surprised if not

None of these organizations (sports, medical, government, media) are ever straight forward with the public. It's what they do and you are  fool to think otherwise.

• Like 1

1. Reich mentioned a minor calf injury. At the time, it was most likely more than a minor calf injury, given that the calf/ankle was scanned for muscle tears. Per Luck, there were no tears and it did not look like it could lead to an Achilles tear. Perhaps, that's why Reich mentioned it was minor, because it was a soft tissue injury without any tears.

2. Luck was rehabbing the calf/ankle and it was improving, and that's why there did not seem to be much worry from the coaching staff. They noted it was a "minor" issue.

3. Luck had a set back and the pain resurfaced. The situation has now become more dire, simply because of the lack of time to fully heal before week 1. 

4. Just 2-3 days ago, Luck said that he is still feeling a little pain, but less than before. It's improving and he feels like he will be ready for Week 1. 

A) Overall, I don't think the FO/coaches lied. The situation changed due to a set back.

B) Luck has been in front of media talking about this. I don't think he needs to be in front of media every day talking about it. We just have to be patient.

C) Given the situation, what would you like for Luck to do? Practice at camp and take a chance at the calf/ankle get worse, leading him to miss actual games in the season? Clearly, the right thing to do is take care of the issue, get Luck's body ready for the season, despite missing out on valuable practice time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

No. The drama is being created by fans.

I still don't understand the need by anyone to point fingers and declare "less than honest" communication by Luck or the team. Is it not possible that he hurt it at the end of last year...had some time off in the offseason, and reinjured it lifting weights? Why must there always be a declaration of dishonesty? What on earth would be the advantage of lying about this? I guess I am not driven with the need to assign blame. Maybe stuff just happens. 

Well they have done it before. Why should we believe them now.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If you think it is the calf still bothering him you are naive. No calf takes this long. There is something else going on.

Bull, soft tissue issues can linger and niggle for a long long time. Maybe they’re being massively over cautious here and pulling him at the first sign of any discomfort. 

Without actual access to the clinical notes we’re all just guessing. The fact he’s not scheduled to have follow ups is encouraging. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is no doubt in my mind as bad as he played  in that Kansas City game he was injured.

Interesting. 

Would help to explain the egg he laid. 

Of course the entire team got dominated so I can't put the loss on one player.

Will also be interesting to see if we start to hear anymore about hurting the ankle snowboarding.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is no doubt in my mind as bad as he played  in that Kansas City game he was injured.

If you can diagnose injuries at that sort of range can we sign you for the NHS?! We’d save a fortune having you diagnose our patients remotely with no examination. 

Aside from the team all round having a nightmare I’d put it more down to him hitting the equivalent of the “rookie wall” after so long out without playing. 

• Like 3