Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Making 53 man roster.

coltsfan40

Their is going too be a Lot of competition at LB and WR. LB Turay is going too have too bring it show improvement cause I think Banagou and Speed are both going too be finds for colts at LB and rush off the end. Lewis kicking inside probably has put on a little weight. I'm not sure about green maybe a replacement for Sheard. I think Penny Hart makes this team and maybe Dulin also if he balls out on kick returns/ punt also. I believe Snippy makes team at DT hope that Stewart makes improvement n is a beast inside. Defense---DT Stewart/Lewis/ Autry/Ward/ Hunt/Shippy. DE Sheard/Green/ Turay/ Houston. LB Walker/Maniac/ Banagou/ Speed/ Orekekie/Franklin.CB Desir/Moore/Wilson/Hairston/Rock ya sin. Hooker/Geathers/Farley/Willis/Tell III.

15 minutes ago, coltsfan40 said:

Their is going too be a Lot of competition at LB and WR. LB Turay is going too have too bring it show improvement cause I think Banagou and Speed are both going too be finds for colts at LB and rush off the end. Lewis kicking inside probably has put on a little weight. I'm not sure about green maybe a replacement for Sheard. I think Penny Hart makes this team and maybe Dulin also if he balls out on kick returns/ punt also. I believe Snippy makes team at DT hope that Stewart makes improvement n is a beast inside. Defense---DT Stewart/Lewis/ Autry/Ward/ Hunt/Shippy. DE Sheard/Green/ Turay/ Houston. LB Walker/Maniac/ Banagou/ Speed/ Orekekie/Franklin.CB Desir/Moore/Wilson/Hairston/Rock ya sin. Hooker/Geathers/Farley/Willis/Tell III.

Plus gotta add a spot for Suh.  From what I am seeing, there is a good chance we sign him.  I think I would rather sign Ansah than Suh though. 

The above poster is correct too, gotta widdle the D down to less that 26.  If we sign a defensive free agent, I think you will need to remove 2-3 at least from the OP list.  I am thinking you will have to cut Shippy, and Franklin to make room.  We will see what Speed can do.  I really like Farley, but he seems to get dropped on the depth chart a lot, so he may be expendable.  

16 minutes ago, coltsfan40 said:

I see your point. I can remove Franklin final D leave 25. I can see 6 wr -- Hilton/Funchess/ Campbell/ Cain/ Rodgers/ Dulin.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to remove Shippy?  Linebackers are utilized on Special Teams.  Shippy is an UDFA and really has some pretty good talent ahead of him in your scenario.  Plus Indy rolled with 9 Defensive Lineman last year, iirc?  Not trying to nitpick, as I respect anyone who is willing to go out on a limb this early on the final 53:thmup: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

Wouldn't it be more prudent to remove Shippy?  Linebackers are utilized on Special Teams.  Shippy is a walk on and really has some pretty good talent ahead of him in your scenario.  Plus Indy rolled with 9 Defensive Lineman last year, iirc?  Not trying to nitpick, as I respect anyone who is willing to go out on a limb this early on the final 53:thmup: 

I agree

I prefer to keep an extra LB/DB over DL for ST purposes 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, coltsfan40 said:

Thompson might impress also I just have feeling one makes squad. This talk about Suh I just don't know if he is player fits locker rm or that Ballard or Reich want.

I get that we are all about the culture, or COLTure, but in football it is ok to be nasty once in a while.  I wouldn't build around Suh, or Vontaze Burfict, or one of the other dirty players.  But, I would add Suh to a team that is established in culture.

The Bulls added Dennis Rodman and one championships.  The Warriors do pretty good with Draymond Green.  Ron Artest had success with LA.  Great teams have a guy with an edge, and football is the nastiest sport of them all.  Not to mention DT is probably one of our biggest needs.  If you bring him in and he F's up the locker room, you let him go.  It's simple

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coltsfan66 said:

While I appreciate your post and thoughts, you have 26 defensive players listed.  When you add the 3 special teamers, it leaves only 24 offensive players.  How are you seeing that play out in your scenario?

Actually most NFL rosters have more defensive players than offensive.   A 26/24 split is pretty common.

The reason for this is....  special teams.  

More defensive players play ST than offensive.   Also because defense is more inherently violent than offense you just need more man power on that side of the ball.  

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

I get that we are all about the culture, or COLTure, but in football it is ok to be nasty once in a while.  I wouldn't build around Suh, or Vontaze Burfict, or one of the other dirty players.  But, I would add Suh to a team that is established in culture.

The Bulls added Dennis Rodman and one championships.  The Warriors do pretty good with Draymond Green.  Ron Artest had success with LA.  Great teams have a guy with an edge, and football is the nastiest sport of them all.  Not to mention DT is probably one of our biggest needs.  If you bring him in and he F's up the locker room, you let him go.  It's simple

Ballard is aware of what you’re saying. He said after the draft that he’s not trying to build a team of all choir boys.  He has said that talent wins in this league and he will eventually,  someday bring in those type of players.

But not yet.  

Ballard says the locker room he wants is not yet complete.  Not ready for a player with a huge personality that also has some character concerns.   He’s going to be very selective.

So, we’re not there yet.   Maybe in a year.   Maybe. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually most NFL rosters have more defensive players than offensive.   A 26/24 split is pretty common.

More defensive players play ST than offensive.   Also because defense is more inherently violent than offense you just need more man power on that side of the ball.  

Yeah, I could easily see 23 offensive players.  There is room in the #'s below to add another player at WR and take out a RB or TE.  

QB - 2

RB - 4

WR - 5

TE - 4

OL - 8

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Yeah, I could easily see 23 offensive players.  There is room in the #'s below to add another player at WR and take out a RB or TE.  

QB - 2

RB - 4

WR - 5

TE - 4

OL - 8

Yup...   thanks for doing that math....  a 23/27 split isn’t that uncommon either...   

And sometimes these ratios change during the course of a season.   Depends on your own injuries and sometimes the opponent you’re playing. 

2 hours ago, coltsfan40 said:

Several points of clarification...   you corrected one within your own post.

Turay is a DE and not a LB, so he’s not threaten by Banogu who will start at OLB. 

Also,  at your list at the bottom,  you should add Adams at LB.   He played more and better than Franklin did in their rookie season. 

And the Colts are giving Tell his first snaps at corner, not safety.   Both Tell and Banogu are conversions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

When you look at that scenario you can't tell me that you would rather have Shippy on the roster than an extra WR/TE???  That was my basis for answering.  Plus Indy utilized 9 Dl'man last year for the most part.  I would think if you were going to keep the Defense at 26, it would include a better option than Shippy or at Linebacker/DB(I mentioned the latter's use on Special Teams earlier)?  Just observations from a guy who loves football but has no clue what Indy is going to do, lol!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

When you look at that scenario you can't tell me that you would rather have Shippy on the roster than an extra WR/TE???  That was my basis for answering.  Plus Indy utilized 9 Dl'man last year for the most part.  I would think if you were going to keep the Defense at 26, it would include a better option than Shippy or at Linebacker/DB(I mentioned the latter's use on Special Teams earlier)?  Just observations from a guy who loves football but has no clue what Indy is going to do, lol!

Well that was odd, definitely not two post worthy, lol!  Mods please delete.

3 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

Plus gotta add a spot for Suh.  From what I am seeing, there is a good chance we sign him.  I think I would rather sign Ansah than Suh though. 

The above poster is correct too, gotta widdle the D down to less that 26.  If we sign a defensive free agent, I think you will need to remove 2-3 at least from the OP list.  I am thinking you will have to cut Shippy, and Franklin to make room.  We will see what Speed can do.  I really like Farley, but he seems to get dropped on the depth chart a lot, so he may be expendable.  

What makes you think there's a good chance we sign him? Just because some posters and media are drawing the connection, doesn't mean it's actually there

2 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

Well even if you don't factor in the character concerns, the signing still doesn't make too much sense

5 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

Bulls and Warriors have/had super special leadership.  We will too soon . We are just about there I think .

5 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

I agree. We have a ton of high character guys now, one guy isn't going to screw up our locker room with the guys we have. Suh at this point in his career is looking for a ring and will retire in 2 or 3 years more than likely. I highly doubt he would wreck anything. Last year the Rams did great with him.

I'm gonna go with:

3 Pure ST

Punter

Kicker

LS

24 Offense

QB - 2

RB - 4 (they make good special teams too)

WR - 6 (return game)

TEs - 3

OL - 9 (or 10 depending on injury and how good the drafted OL are doing)

26 Defense (or 25 if we keep 10 OL)

DL - 9

LB - 7 (good on STs)

DB - 10 (good on STs)

Because of our scheme, I could see + or - one fluctuations between DL and LB (the OLB/DE tweeners), and LB and DB (coverage sub packages).

And why Suh? Because most think/thought iDL was our biggest need pre draft, and it still is since we didn't draft. It's not just because of our cap space. Doesn't have to be Suh, but he's the best iDL left.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm gonna go with:

3 Pure ST

Punter

Kicker

LS

24 Offense

QB - 2

RB - 4 (they make good special teams too)

WR - 6 (return game)

TEs - 3

OL - 9 (or 10 depending on injury and how good the drafted OL are doing)

26 Defense (or 25 if we keep 10 OL)

DL - 9

LB - 7 (good on STs)

DB - 10 (good on STs)

Because of our scheme, I could see + or - one fluctuations between DL and LB (the OLB/DE tweeners), and LB and DB (coverage sub packages).

And why Suh? Because most think/thought iDL was our biggest need pre draft, and it still is since we didn't draft. It's not just because of our cap space. Doesn't have to be Suh, but he's the best iDL left.

Pay particular attention to QB Hits.  If there's one thing he has been, it's consistent. Also, pretty much has started every game for all teams. (Disclaimer: I'm sure this has been posted ad nauseam but is specific to this thread)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SuhxNd99.htm

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Pay particular attention to QB Hits.  If there's one thing he has been, it's consistent. Also, pretty much has started every game for all teams. (Disclaimer: I'm sure this has been posted ad nauseam but is specific to this thread)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SuhxNd99.htm

and his Ts too. Last year he had his 4th best year, better than the year before, and better than 4 out of his first 5 years.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

and his Ts too. Last year he had his 4th best year, better than the year before, and better than 4 out of his first 5 years.

Indeed. Numbers can't lie across 9 seasons.  Also, take a look at this list of the dirtiest players of all time and have someone tell us he isn't in really good company.

https://www.ranker.com/list/dirtiest-nfl-players-of-all-time/prosportsextra?page=2

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Indeed. Numbers can't lie across 9 seasons.  Also, take a look at this list of the dirtiest players of all time and have someone tell us he isn't in really good company.

https://www.ranker.com/list/dirtiest-nfl-players-of-all-time/prosportsextra?page=2

not even worried about that. haven't heard a peep about that kind of stuff lately.

but... Gusa at 68? man he wasn't trying hard enough lol

5 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

not even worried about that. haven't heard a peep about that kind of stuff lately.

but... Gusa at 68? man he wasn't trying hard enough lol

actually i'm saying I like it.  Colts need some nasty, first we got Nelson, who's atomic sauce, now we could use some nuclear sauce in Suh for a year or two before he hangs up the cleats.  Siragusa, yea, lol miss that guy.  Gannon doesn't however.......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

actually i'm saying I like it.  Colts need some nasty, first we got Nelson, who's atomic sauce, now we could use some nuclear sauce in Suh for a year or two before he hangs up the cleats.  Siragusa, yea, lol miss that guy.  Gannon doesn't however.......

I think there's a difference between "nasty" and "dirty". 

Q is nasty, not dirty. Suh is, or was both. 

But, yes, we need all the NASTY

• Like 2

10 hours ago, coltsfan40 said:

Holy crap can someone translate this?

• Like 1

-From Yahoo.com-

As the next phase of free agency begins with teams no longer having to think about compensatory picks, one team is far ahead of the rest in salary cap space available.

That team is the Colts, who have $58.7 million in cap space, according to OverTheCap.com. That’s easily the most in the NFL, with the Texans at $41.3 million and no other team having more than $40 million.

Why are the Colts standing pat with so much more money they could spend? It’s not about waiting until today, when any signings no longer affect teams’ compensatory picks, because the Colts aren’t projected to get any compensatory picks next year anyway.

It may simply be that Colts General Manager Chris Ballard thinks he has a good enough team right now that he doesn’t need to spend any more. The Colts were in the playoffs last year, retained almost the entire 2018 roster, and drafted 10 rookies. Ballard said he wasn’t going to overspend, and he meant it.

Teams that don’t spend all their cap space this year can roll cap space into next year, so Ballard may think the Colts are positioned not only to be a good team in 2019, but to spend whatever it takes to address any needs in 2020. And, of course, if something changes, the Colts have the ability to add a player with an expensive contract this year. Ballard has the Colts in good shape, and he didn’t break the bank to do it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/colts-sitting-far-nfl-most-164052062.html

Break out that checkbook Chris, it's winning time!!!!

On 5/7/2019 at 4:23 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Yup...   thanks for doing that math....  a 23/27 split isn’t that uncommon either...   

And sometimes these ratios change during the course of a season.   Depends on your own injuries and sometimes the opponent you’re playing. 

I could absolutely see us go with 6 Wr’s and 3 TE’s. If Hentges shows anything they thought he might be, I’d say Mo Cox is the one out unless Doyle comes back and isn’t right. 

On 5/7/2019 at 4:46 PM, Hark said:

The competition to make this roster is going to be nuts. It will be nice for a change to see Colts cuts picked up immediately by other teams.

I see the WR and CB spots being very very competitive, especially for those back end spots. We are definitely going to lose out on talent at WR just because we can’t carry 8 and I think we have guys who could normally make our roster from that position (all on paper of course right now). We have several guys that are just close to each other in terms of being solid. The team is going to have to really focus on traits and productivity from these guys because it could very well be we cut the wrong one while splitting the fine hairs of these talents. Don’t envy that decision making progress. 

On 5/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, BlueCrew48 said:

Why do you think we’re signing Suh?

10 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Why do you think we’re signing Suh?

Mainly I just want us too. But lots of reports that say so. And there are a lot of factors that make the move make sense.  Need at idl. Cap space, he is the best available FA available.  

I still haven't quite understood the Gerry Green draft pick.  I need to see him live playing for the Colts to form a better opinion.   Nothing really pops about him to me outside of being a stellar human being it seems like.  We shall see.

On 5/7/2019 at 3:46 PM, Hark said:

The competition to make this roster is going to be nuts. It will be nice for a change to see Colts cuts picked up immediately by other teams.

This is actually a great point

Have you noticed that many of our late drops, dont make another teams roster? 

This will change, as our roster improves

On 5/9/2019 at 8:34 AM, BlueCrew48 said:

Mainly I just want us too. But lots of reports that say so. And there are a lot of factors that make the move make sense.  Need at idl. Cap space, he is the best available FA available.  

You may be right in the long run, but

Other than the CBS report, and posters on this board, where do you see this?

Can you imaging the practice battles between him and Q?

Have you noticed that multiple teams freely let him leave, and not try to sign or tag him?   There IS a message there.... WHY would you let a talent get away from you?

I dont see it happening (but........ my crystal ball is cloudy)