Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Making 53 man roster.

coltsfan40

On 5/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, BlueCrew48 said:

I get that we are all about the culture, or COLTure, but in football it is ok to be nasty once in a while.  I wouldn't build around Suh, or Vontaze Burfict, or one of the other dirty players.  But, I would add Suh to a team that is established in culture.

{snip}

Ballard has two extra hurdles to clear (after his own, if they make it) for character issue players, Brian Decker and Jim Irsay. Ballard counts on Decker for the psych/makeup/mental apsects of players.  Irsay (like most owners) wants to be consulted before bringing in potentially controversial figures onto the roster.

I found and another member/poster here, found a great article on what Brian Decker is already doing for Ballard and the Colts. I posted a link to it here-

https://theathletic.com/969317/2019/05/09/how-brian-decker-is-using-his-special-forces-background-to-find-the-next-generation-of-colts/?source=dailyemail

FA's not only have to have 'talent', they have to meet a certain price/value point, and also be psychologically fit/manageable according to Decker as well.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Ballard has two extra hurdles to clear (after his own, if they make it) for character issue players, Brian Decker and Jim Irsay. Ballard counts on Decker for the psych/makeup/mental apsects of players.  Irsay (like most owners) wants to be consulted before bringing in potentially controversial figures onto the roster.

I found and another member/poster here, found a great article on what Brian Decker is already doing for Ballard and the Colts. I posted a link to it here-

https://theathletic.com/969317/2019/05/09/how-brian-decker-is-using-his-special-forces-background-to-find-the-next-generation-of-colts/?source=dailyemail

FA's not only have to have 'talent', they have to meet a certain price/value point, and also be psychologically fit/manageable according to Decker as well.

I have to assume by this, your stance is not to pick him up?  I am still saying we should.  Just my opinion though.  If we don't pick him up then we won't know if it was a good idea.  If we do, I hope I don't eat my words.  He was signed by the Rams last year because they had super bowl aspirations.  He made an impact and they made it.  This year, we are looking poised to make one of those runs.  The cap space, need at interior Dline, and his production and still bening available just seems to be a no brainer to me.  I guess I don't value culture over talent as much as others here and the coaching staff.

I can't read the whole article unless I subscribe BTW but looks interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueCrew48 said:

I have to assume by this, your stance is not to pick him up?  I am still saying we should.  Just my opinion though.  If we don't pick him up then we won't know if it was a good idea.  If we do, I hope I don't eat my words.  He was signed by the Rams last year because they had super bowl aspirations.  He made an impact and they made it.  This year, we are looking poised to make one of those runs.  The cap space, need at interior Dline, and his production and still bening available just seems to be a no brainer to me.  I guess I don't value culture over talent as much as others here and the coaching staff.

Agreed, I want to win and 100% know he would be an asset and was the difference for the Rams, and almost got them the Lombardi..I think it comes down to us being cheap..No more we are building excuses, one or two impact vets can be what gets us to the top..A 1 yr 12 million dollar deal will have no cap ramifications..There is minimal risk and potentially major gain by making this move, it would give us elite talent on all 3 levels of the defense and free up guys like Houston, Turay,Sheard, and the Maniac to make plays because Suh has to be accounted for still even at this stage in his career..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Agreed, I want to win and 100% know he would be an asset and was the difference for the Rams, and almost got them the Lombardi..I think it comes down to us being cheap..No more we are building excuses, one or two impact vets can be what gets us to the top..A 1 yr 12 million dollar deal will have no cap ramifications..There is minimal risk and potentially major gain by making this move, it would give us elite talent on all 3 levels of the defense and free up guys like Houston, Turay,Sheard, and the Maniac to make plays because Suh has to be accounted for still even at this stage in his career..

I wouldn't mind him either for 1 year.  I think his asking price right now is too high, which is why he's still out there.  I'm cool with the aquisition if Ballard could bang out a deal that makes good sense.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

Here are (quite) a few of excerpts-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As it turns out, Brian Decker was not even considering retirement from the Army when he met Rob Chudzinski and Mike Lombardi in 2013. The pair, coach and general manager, respectively, of the Browns at the time, visited the special forces training site in hopes of gaining insight into how they prepared soldiers for missions.

“At the heart of a very resilient team is confidence, right?” Decker said. “Where does confidence come from? Confidence comes from being fit. It comes from being prepared. If your capacity is equal to or greater than the demands being placed upon you, you’re going to do really well.

Now is the time when you develop that capacity. You can’t wait until the bullets are flying. Nobody rises to the occasion. You sink to the level of your training.

If you ask Decker to describe his job in a nutshell, he will say his role is to answer five questions: “Does this player have a favorable developmental profile? Does he have a profile that supports handling pressure and adversity? Does he have a good learning and decision-making profile? Is he a character risk and, if so, what can we do to help this player be who he needs to be? And lastly is the fit.”

It’s more detailed than that, certainly, and some of the measurements the Colts use in this area are proprietary and weren’t disclosed. But, for the most part, if a draft prospect checks each box, he gets the Decker seal of approval. It doesn’t mean the Colts will draft him, but he has cleared one important hurdle. That sign-off means a lot around Colts headquarters, and it means something because Decker has been empowered by general manager Chris Ballard.

All the film study in the world can’t prepare you to accurately assess the makeup of someone and how they’ll react under the most adverse circumstances.

'Few people on the planet are more qualified to answer that calling than Decker. After moving on from his role as a special-forces leader, Decker assumed a position overseeing assessment selection. Put simply, his job was to determine who had what it takes to make it in special forces.

“It’s a one-percent club, too, kind of like football,” Decker said.

Why not utilize an individual capable of assessing whether a prospect has what it takes to do something only a fraction of people in the world can accomplish? In this case, that would be dealing with the pressure associated with playing NFL football. How do you assess the things that vertical jumps, arm lengths and shuttle run times cannot?

You hire someone like Decker. “I don’t know of anybody like him in the league,” Ballard said. “(We’re) fortunate to have him.”

'So, much of Decker’s time in the past two years was spent working with the Colts college scouts to train them to think like Decker. What are the questions to ask? What are the signs to look for? How do you spot the necessary traits?  “I tell scouts, ‘My job is to make your hit rate better,’ ” Decker said.

'Decker estimates he interviewed upward of 170 players in the just-completed draft cycle at the Senior Bowl, scouting combine and pro days. But he can’t get to every prospect. That’s where the scouts come in. '

“It gets hard during the season,” Ballard said. “There are times when it’s not going to go the way you want it to go. Well, who digs out of those? People that have the right makeup to get you out of the hole. I really believe last year that was a reason why (we rallied from 1-5). I mean Frank (Reich) and his staff did an unbelievable job of coaching, one. Then, two, you had a locker room of men who weren’t going to be denied.”

... Decker is happy to be in Indy, and called Ballard and Reich two of the finest leaders he’s worked with, including the countless generals he served under while in the Army. That's powerful.

• Like 1

I'm sure most of you have seen or will see this article from Stampede Blue, but the author seems to share my same opinion on Suh.  He makes a great point that I hadn't thought about, grabbing up Suh so another AFC team, particularly the Patriots can't.  I could totally see him going there and going to the SB.  The article says that per Pro Football Focus, Suh was the 20th ranked interior  D lineman last year.  I don't have a suscription, but if someone does I would be curious to see who our highest player was, and where they ranked on that list.  I'm guessing it was behind Suh.  He also touches on the nastiness Suh can bring.  We all love Big Q and his nastiness, don't you want some of that in the trenches on D?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/5/13/18617120/is-there-much-ado-about-the-colts-and-ndamukong-suh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

I'm sure most of you have seen or will see this article from Stampede Blue, but the author seems to share my same opinion on Suh.  He makes a great point that I hadn't thought about, grabbing up Suh so another AFC team, particularly the Patriots can't.  I could totally see him going there and going to the SB.  The article says that per Pro Football Focus, Suh was the 20th ranked interior  D lineman last year.  I don't have a suscription, but if someone does I would be curious to see who our highest player was, and where they ranked on that list.  I'm guessing it was behind Suh.  He also touches on the nastiness Suh can bring.  We all love Big Q and his nastiness, don't you want some of that in the trenches on D?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/5/13/18617120/is-there-much-ado-about-the-colts-and-ndamukong-suh

That is a great point or what if KC picks him up? 

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here are (quite) a few of excerpts-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As it turns out, Brian Decker was not even considering retirement from the Army when he met Rob Chudzinski and Mike Lombardi in 2013. The pair, coach and general manager, respectively, of the Browns at the time, visited the special forces training site in hopes of gaining insight into how they prepared soldiers for missions.

“At the heart of a very resilient team is confidence, right?” Decker said. “Where does confidence come from? Confidence comes from being fit. It comes from being prepared. If your capacity is equal to or greater than the demands being placed upon you, you’re going to do really well.

Now is the time when you develop that capacity. You can’t wait until the bullets are flying. Nobody rises to the occasion. You sink to the level of your training.

If you ask Decker to describe his job in a nutshell, he will say his role is to answer five questions: “Does this player have a favorable developmental profile? Does he have a profile that supports handling pressure and adversity? Does he have a good learning and decision-making profile? Is he a character risk and, if so, what can we do to help this player be who he needs to be? And lastly is the fit.”

It’s more detailed than that, certainly, and some of the measurements the Colts use in this area are proprietary and weren’t disclosed. But, for the most part, if a draft prospect checks each box, he gets the Decker seal of approval. It doesn’t mean the Colts will draft him, but he has cleared one important hurdle. That sign-off means a lot around Colts headquarters, and it means something because Decker has been empowered by general manager Chris Ballard.

All the film study in the world can’t prepare you to accurately assess the makeup of someone and how they’ll react under the most adverse circumstances.

'Few people on the planet are more qualified to answer that calling than Decker. After moving on from his role as a special-forces leader, Decker assumed a position overseeing assessment selection. Put simply, his job was to determine who had what it takes to make it in special forces.

“It’s a one-percent club, too, kind of like football,” Decker said.

Why not utilize an individual capable of assessing whether a prospect has what it takes to do something only a fraction of people in the world can accomplish? In this case, that would be dealing with the pressure associated with playing NFL football. How do you assess the things that vertical jumps, arm lengths and shuttle run times cannot?

You hire someone like Decker. “I don’t know of anybody like him in the league,” Ballard said. “(We’re) fortunate to have him.”

'So, much of Decker’s time in the past two years was spent working with the Colts college scouts to train them to think like Decker. What are the questions to ask? What are the signs to look for? How do you spot the necessary traits?  “I tell scouts, ‘My job is to make your hit rate better,’ ” Decker said.

'Decker estimates he interviewed upward of 170 players in the just-completed draft cycle at the Senior Bowl, scouting combine and pro days. But he can’t get to every prospect. That’s where the scouts come in. '

“It gets hard during the season,” Ballard said. “There are times when it’s not going to go the way you want it to go. Well, who digs out of those? People that have the right makeup to get you out of the hole. I really believe last year that was a reason why (we rallied from 1-5). I mean Frank (Reich) and his staff did an unbelievable job of coaching, one. Then, two, you had a locker room of men who weren’t going to be denied.”

... Decker is happy to be in Indy, and called Ballard and Reich two of the finest leaders he’s worked with, including the countless generals he served under while in the Army. That's powerful.

Thanks for sharing this.  I agree with Ballard that we are fortunate to have him.  I was not aware of this guy.  

"Is he a character risk and, if so, what can we do to help this player be who he needs to be?"

Curious to here his thoughts on Suh based on this line.