Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard Update (from Colts.com)

NewColtsFan

Leonard enters this season with giant chips on his shoulders.

Says his new goals are to (1) win a Super Bowl.   (2) win an MVP   (3)   get voted to the Pro Bowl.     So, he's counting his chips!

But I thought the news that would interest you most....    he intends to play this year between 220-225.    Says his weight last year of 234 was the heaviest he's ever been and he was the most injured he's ever been.    So he hopes losing the weight will enable him to play even faster, better and stay healthier longer.

Here's your story from the front of the website....

https://www.colts.com/news/lighter-darius-leonard-still-just-as-motivated-heading-into-second-nfl-season

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

We’ll need some more beef up front by adding more talent on the DL to keep him free to roam then. 

Maybe that is what CB told him to do thinking our pick would likely be Lawrence. I would think CB would tell Leonard to keep weight if he didn’t think we had enough beef to cover him. Idk 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

We’ll need some more beef up front by adding more talent on the DL to keep him free to roam then. 

11 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Maybe that is what CB told him to do thinking our pick would likely be Lawrence. I would think CB would tell Leonard to keep weight if he didn’t think we had enough beef to cover him. Idk 

Yes add DL to the dl to protect DL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Calmack said:

Odd. He said himself he played at around 218 lbs. Id have to find the interview. I think he also mentioned that in one of his IG posts.

I believe what you read was Leonard saying his playing weight in college was around 218. 

He got players to the ground efficiently last season at whatever weight he played at.
I wish him lol being healthier playing at 220. He is playing with grownups now so his logic is sketchy imo.
 And more speed getting to the outside and to chase in the passing game would be a plus that he needs. Tradeoffs.

• Like 1

In his college tape, he sort of looked like a big WR running around making plays. His body type is pretty unique for the LB position I think. If he's playing at that college weight, he will certainy be flying all over the place. But I would think more weight (assuming it's not just from eating Shapiro's every day)...it would help him prevent contact injuries...not cause it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Leonard enters this season with giant chips on his shoulders.

Says his new goals are to (1) win a Super Bowl.   (2) win an MVP   (3)   get voted to the Pro Bowl.     So, he's counting his chips!

But I thought the news that would interest you most....    he intends to play this year between 220-225.    Says his weight last year of 234 was the heaviest he's ever been and he was the most injured he's ever been.    So he hopes losing the weight will enable him to play even faster, better and stay healthier longer.

Here's your story from the front of the website....

https://www.colts.com/news/lighter-darius-leonard-still-just-as-motivated-heading-into-second-nfl-season

When was the last time a defensive player won MVP?

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Poster That Guy says Lawrence Taylor in ‘86.    Off the top of my head, I would’ve guessed JJ Watt a few years back....

Either way....   it’s rare....

Watt was the first runner-up 2014. But lost by 28 votes to Rodgers. No other defensive player has been the first runner-up (or higher) than Watt since LT won over 30 years ago.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dw49 said:

I believe what you read was Leonard saying his playing weight in college was around 218. 

No he specifically said during the season. His IG post also mentioned how big his chip on the shoulder was for being one of the best LBers in the league yet one of the lightest. Id have to find his post. 

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Poster That Guy says Lawrence Taylor in ‘86.    Off the top of my head, I would’ve guessed JJ Watt a few years back....

Either way....   it’s rare....

I remember there was some controversy because a lot of people thought JJ Watt deserved it.  But yeah MVP is nearly always QB's and RB's.  

Honestly I think they should get rid of the OPOY and DPOY as well as MVP and just go with Best QB, Best RB/WR/TE Best OL, Best DL, Best LB, Best DB

On 4/16/2019 at 8:30 PM, Jdubu said:

If, and If we draft DT Lawrence, I hope I could get some kudos as I was first to open a thread on it. If we don’t select Lawrence, then I’m sure CB made an even better selection. Cough cough Rush DE Burns FSU.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, throwing BBZ said:

He got players to the ground efficiently last season at whatever weight he played at.
I wish him lol being healthier playing at 220. He is playing with grownups now so his logic is sketchy imo.
 And more speed getting to the outside and to chase in the passing game would be a plus that he needs. Tradeoffs.

im sure his trainers and the staff are giving him inputs as well.