Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NewColtsFan

Darius Leonard Update (from Colts.com)

Recommended Posts

 

Leonard enters this season with giant chips on his shoulders.

 

Says his new goals are to (1) win a Super Bowl.   (2) win an MVP   (3)   get voted to the Pro Bowl.     So, he's counting his chips!

 

But I thought the news that would interest you most....    he intends to play this year between 220-225.    Says his weight last year of 234 was the heaviest he's ever been and he was the most injured he's ever been.    So he hopes losing the weight will enable him to play even faster, better and stay healthier longer.

 

Here's your story from the front of the website....

 

https://www.colts.com/news/lighter-darius-leonard-still-just-as-motivated-heading-into-second-nfl-season

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ll need some more beef up front by adding more talent on the DL to keep him free to roam then. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

We’ll need some more beef up front by adding more talent on the DL to keep him free to roam then. 

Maybe that is what CB told him to do thinking our pick would likely be Lawrence. I would think CB would tell Leonard to keep weight if he didn’t think we had enough beef to cover him. Idk 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just watching the third video of the colts top plays from last year. I am amazed at how good Leonard was at stripping the ball. He has to keep his speed. He reminds me of Mathis and Freeny at how good he is at stripping the ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd. He said himself he played at around 218 lbs. Id have to find the interview. I think he also mentioned that in one of his IG posts.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotoworld said he played heavier than he wanted last season due to injuries. So I’m assuming injury free he will drop some weight to play faster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is I am glad he is on our team. What a find by Ballard and crew.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Calmack said:

Odd. He said himself he played at around 218 lbs. Id have to find the interview. I think he also mentioned that in one of his IG posts.

 

I believe what you read was Leonard saying his playing weight in college was around 218. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He got players to the ground efficiently last season at whatever weight he played at.
I wish him lol being healthier playing at 220. He is playing with grownups now so his logic is sketchy imo.
 And more speed getting to the outside and to chase in the passing game would be a plus that he needs. Tradeoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In his college tape, he sort of looked like a big WR running around making plays. His body type is pretty unique for the LB position I think. If he's playing at that college weight, he will certainy be flying all over the place. But I would think more weight (assuming it's not just from eating Shapiro's every day)...it would help him prevent contact injuries...not cause it.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BProland85 said:

We’ll need some more beef up front by adding more talent on the DL to keep him free to roam then. 

Lawrence or that Saunders would be perfect 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Leonard enters this season with giant chips on his shoulders.

 

Says his new goals are to (1) win a Super Bowl.   (2) win an MVP   (3)   get voted to the Pro Bowl.     So, he's counting his chips!

 

But I thought the news that would interest you most....    he intends to play this year between 220-225.    Says his weight last year of 234 was the heaviest he's ever been and he was the most injured he's ever been.    So he hopes losing the weight will enable him to play even faster, better and stay healthier longer.

 

Here's your story from the front of the website....

 

https://www.colts.com/news/lighter-darius-leonard-still-just-as-motivated-heading-into-second-nfl-season

 

When was the last time a defensive player won MVP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

When was the last time a defensive player won MVP?

LT in 86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

When was the last time a defensive player won MVP?

 

Poster That Guy says Lawrence Taylor in ‘86.    Off the top of my head, I would’ve guessed JJ Watt a few years back....

 

Either way....   it’s rare....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope he can stay healthy. In the trenches you're talking a super fast Prius getting hit by a dump truck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Poster That Guy says Lawrence Taylor in ‘86.    Off the top of my head, I would’ve guessed JJ Watt a few years back....

 

Either way....   it’s rare....

 

 

Watt was the first runner-up 2014. But lost by 28 votes to Rodgers. No other defensive player has been the first runner-up (or higher) than Watt since LT won over 30 years ago.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dw49 said:

 

I believe what you read was Leonard saying his playing weight in college was around 218. 

No he specifically said during the season. His IG post also mentioned how big his chip on the shoulder was for being one of the best LBers in the league yet one of the lightest. Id have to find his post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

When was the last time a defensive player won MVP?

His goal is admirable even if out of reach... I like his moxie, nobody's going to tell him NO!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Poster That Guy says Lawrence Taylor in ‘86.    Off the top of my head, I would’ve guessed JJ Watt a few years back....

 

Either way....   it’s rare....

 

 

I remember there was some controversy because a lot of people thought JJ Watt deserved it.  But yeah MVP is nearly always QB's and RB's.  

 

Honestly I think they should get rid of the OPOY and DPOY as well as MVP and just go with Best QB, Best RB/WR/TE Best OL, Best DL, Best LB, Best DB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 8:41 PM, Fluke_33 said:

 

Yes add DL to the dl to protect DL

 

O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 8:30 PM, Jdubu said:

Maybe that is what CB told him to do thinking our pick would likely be Lawrence. I would think CB would tell Leonard to keep weight if he didn’t think we had enough beef to cover him. Idk 

If, and If we draft DT Lawrence, I hope I could get some kudos as I was first to open a thread on it. If we don’t select Lawrence, then I’m sure CB made an even better selection. Cough cough Rush DE Burns FSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

 

O.o

 

DL = Dexter Lawrence

dl = defensive line

DL= Darious Leonard 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

 

DL = Dexter Lawrence

dl = defensive line

DL= Darious Leonard 

 

Thanks for the secret decoder ring!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, throwing BBZ said:

He got players to the ground efficiently last season at whatever weight he played at.
I wish him lol being healthier playing at 220. He is playing with grownups now so his logic is sketchy imo.
 And more speed getting to the outside and to chase in the passing game would be a plus that he needs. Tradeoffs.

im sure his trainers and the staff are giving him inputs as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't put too much stock in what people say regarding their heights and weights. It's one aspect that plenty of people fudge in conversation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...