Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stanley Morgan Jr. - WR - Draft gem

No, he is not the son of Stanley Morgan that starred for the Patriots and 1 year with the Colts.

Having said that, this guys draft profile reads like Reggie Wayne's. Ssme height and weight, a touch slower on the 40 perhaps. But as I was reading his profile info it sounded eerily similar to Batmans!

....."Soft hands"

..... "Best route runner"

..... "Runs full route tree"

..... "Functional game speed"

This guy is the prototype receiver for moving the chains. Would be an excellent choice to play opposite T.Y.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/stanley-morgan-jr

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3699902/stanley-morgan-jr

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/stanley-morgan?id=32194d4f-5222-6706-9d2c-5359857cc05f

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  Just drafted him in a OnTheClock mock draft and wanted to see what he was all about.  Based on the video highlights it looks like his best quality is gaining position on the ball.  Basketball type instincts seem to be in play.  Sure-handed, can high point well, looks the ball in and secures it before trying to do any shake 'n' bake.  Good fundamentals... possession receiver.  That's pretty much the role Funchess will be expected to play this season.

From what I read, his 4.53 40 at the Combine was run with very little to no prior practice. Most players work on their testing times and other stuff prior to the combine in order to look better, but apparently that speed is what Morgan does on the regular, so I’m happy with that, even though I’d love it to be a bit quicker. I’ll have to watch tape tomorrow since you can never just trust highlights, but what I saw impressed me, and for a guy pegged to go in the mid-to-late rounds, he could be a big boost if he pans out

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

No, he is not the son of Stanley Morgan that starred for the Patriots and 1 year with the Colts.

Having said that, this guys draft profile reads like Reggie Wayne's. Ssme height and weight, a touch slower on the 40 perhaps. But as I was reading his profile info it sounded eerily similar to Batmans!

....."Soft hands"

..... "Best route runner"

..... "Runs full route tree"

..... "Functional game speed"

This guy is the prototype receiver for moving the chains. Would be an excellent choice to play opposite T.Y.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/stanley-morgan-jr

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3699902/stanley-morgan-jr

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/stanley-morgan?id=32194d4f-5222-6706-9d2c-5359857cc05f

Did you see the list of “weaknesses”??

Did you see the comment from the anonymous scout?    Very disappointing.   Just asking...

So let’s compare this kid to Daurice Fountain because that was a kid CB picked to groom hopefully but never really made it. What was his comparison with Stanley, 2018 draft and the 2019 draft? If this guy is a later round pick, he would be competing with the roster spot of Fountain, Cain, Pascal, Johnson and maybe even Ishmael. What makes him further apart from those guys? Serious, legit question. Thanks 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

So let’s compare this kid to Daurice Fountain because that was a kid CB picked to groom hopefully but never really made it. What was his comparison with Stanley, 2018 draft and the 2019 draft? If this guy is a later round pick, he would be competing with the roster spot of Fountain, Cain, Pascal, Johnson and maybe even Ishmael. What makes him further apart from those guys? Serious, legit question. Thanks 

Fountain never made? Seriously he’s going into his second season He moved from the PS to the 53 by seasons end. How about we see what happens this summer before we put a fork in him? Young guys have been known to improve from year to year. 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Fountain never made? Seriously he’s going into his second season He moved from the PS to the 53 by seasons end. How about we see what happens this summer before we put a fork in him? Young guys have been known to improve from year to year. 

Read and comprehend please. I never said he is out, just pointing out that he was a pick to develop and he didn’t last year so when you go into another years draft and pick another player, you compete so my question was to basically compare these two in how they were seen in their draft. This has zero to do with DF and his making the team or not, it’s really let’s compare the profiles of them. So please settle down so early in the morning. Sheesh

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did you see the list of “weaknesses”??

Did you see the comment from the anonymous scout?    Very disappointing.   Just asking...

I did read those.....very fixable. Besides some of those weaknesses completely contradict his strengths too.

Some of these online guys need to remember that a scouting report isn't meant to be an exercise in creative writing.

"Leverages open catch windows from the top of his route"

I've read this a dozen times over the last five minutes, and I don't know what it means or looks like on the football field.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Some of these online guys need to remember that a scouting report isn't meant to be an exercise in creative writing.

I've read this a dozen times over the last five minutes, and I don't know what it means or looks like on the football field.

Really? It's what any good WR does after he "produces linear velocity from the orthostatic position."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

From what I read, his 4.53 40 at the Combine was run with very little to no prior practice. Most players work on their testing times and other stuff prior to the combine in order to look better, but apparently that speed is what Morgan does on the regular, so I’m happy with that, even though I’d love it to be a bit quicker. I’ll have to watch tape tomorrow since you can never just trust highlights, but what I saw impressed me, and for a guy pegged to go in the mid-to-late rounds, he could be a big boost if he pans out

There are probably 5-10 highlight type videos of him on youtube. For simplicity purposes I usually skip the game tapes.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

To me that always meant that once he made his final cut for a dig, an out or an in route (for example) he didn't lose speed on the break and thus leveraged 2-3 more yards "open" for his QB to throw to a spot. 

As a reference, think about how Edelman seemingly is covered and then boom he's 3 yards from the nearest defender. 

Or the simplistic nature of Marvin Harrison and how every route started the same until he made his cut and opened the window for Peyton to hit.

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

There are probably 5-10 highlight type videos of him on youtube. For simplicity purposes I usually skip the game tapes.

I understand because of time doing this, but that doesn't give you a very good idea of what the player is really like does it?  I mean, it's a highlight clip so, by its name, is only going to be the players best plays.  Hopefully, someone always looks good on their highlight clips... if not then they need to get a new editor.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

To me that always meant that once he made his final cut for a dig, an out or an in route (for example) he didn't lose speed on the break and thus leveraged 2-3 more yards "open" for his QB to throw to a spot. 

As a reference, think about how Edelman seemingly is covered and then boom he's 3 yards from the nearest defender. 

Or the simplistic nature of Marvin Harrison and how every route started the same until he made his cut and opened the window for Peyton to hit.

"Gets separation coming out of breaks at the top of routes"

It's okay to say the same thing about different players. The advantage to doing so is that we can easily compare one report to the next, instead of trying to translate colorful phrases into football terms.

This is one my favorites, on DK Metcalf:  "Rushes through pattern ingredients rather than developing their flavors as a route chef"

:facepalm:  O.o  :pokerface:

10 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Nothing now.  But if he is just at their level already, he has a chance to elevate his game past those guys with just a half season of work.  Pascal, Ishmael, Johnson, and Rogers, probably are where they are always going to be.

TY 

draft pick,

Funchess,

Cain/Fountain/Morgan Jr.

would make a nice corps; with all newcomers likely to have a higher ceiling than the others.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

"Gets separation coming out of breaks at the top of routes"

It's okay to say the same thing about different players. The advantage to doing so is that we can easily compare one report to the next, instead of trying to translate colorful phrases into football terms.

This is one my favorites, on DK Metcalf:  "Rushes through pattern ingredients rather than developing their flavors as a route chef"

:facepalm:  O.o  :pokerface:

I don't know if those are Zierlein's reports but you can find an interview with him here talking about how he writes his scouting reports and how he tries to keep it fresh and interesting and not regurgitating the same terms, about using flowery language, etc:

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nothing now.  But if he is just at their level already, he has a chance to elevate his game past those guys with just a half season of work.  Pascal, Ishmael, Johnson, and Rogers, probably are where they are always going to be.

TY 

draft pick,

Funchess,

Cain/Fountain/Morgan Jr.

would make a nice corps; with all newcomers likely to have a higher ceiling than the others.

So you think we take 2 wr’s in the draft, one high and then Morgan later? Unless something happened today, I can still see Inman coming back on a 2-3 year deal if nobody gives him a good deal or something with a few years security. My other take from limited view last season was I liked what I seen from Johnson as a kid who could make a jump given reps. If he worked hard this offseason and shows in the summer, I could see him making a push for a spot. I’d love to see one of the other receivers to just break out this year and show we are able to flank TY and give him some relief in coverages. You maybe right though and all those other guys are just guys, peaked at who they are at this point. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I don't know if those are Zierlein's reports but you can find an interview with him here talking about how he writes his scouting reports and how he tries to keep it fresh and interesting and not regurgitating the same terms, about using flowery language, etc:

They are. I'll have to listen to this interview...

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I can see that, but at the same time the highlights leave out all the bad plays they have, so you need to see the whole game to fully judge the player

22 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I just read that he is his son in athlon.   Are you sure he isn’t?

and I just did my own research and see you are right!  Stupid athlon!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I can see that, but at the same time the highlights leave out all the bad plays they have, so you need to see the whole game to fully judge the player

I am fully aware of that fact and I live in Iowa so I've seen him play quite a few times.

@stitches

Just listened to LZ on his "colorful" reports. I get it, the redundancy is ... redundant. But you can't just make up phrases that no one understands. It's not an English assignment, it's a scouting report. The people reading it should be able to visualize what you're telling them without struggling for interpretation. 

If you're writing a book, and you want certain things open to interpretation and for the readers to fill in details in their mind, colorful language and made-up phrases and whatnot are great. For a scouting report, you should be relating facts that everyone understands in a uniform way. 

JMO

Good discussion in that interview, though.

Just now, Superman said:

@stitches

Just listened to LZ on his "colorful" reports. I get it, the redundancy is ... redundant. But you can't just make up phrases that no one understands. It's not an English assignment, it's a scouting report. The people reading it should be able to visualize what you're telling them without struggling for interpretation. 

If you're writing a book, and you want certain things open to interpretation and for the readers to fill in details in their mind, colorful language and made-up phrases and whatnot are great. For a scouting report, you should be relating facts that everyone understands in a uniform way. 

JMO

Good discussion in that interview, though.

Oh I completely agree... especially the first one you posted was incredibly vapid and confusing at the same time. I was just sharing his explanation about it. 

• Like 1

I'm a Colts fan and Nebraska alum (my two favorite teams in any sport on the planet).  I've been clamoring for the Colts to draft Stanley Morgan.  He's a true pro and maybe my favorite Husker ever.  He'll be in the NFL a LONG time, does everything well -- he has Reggie Wayne's game, won't blow you away but solid, competitive and most importantly he's always open.

I should also add, he's a GREAT kid, took the coaching change very well and ALWAYS has a smile on his face.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

In limited viewing of Morgan, Spielman was impossible to miss.

Adopted son of Vikings GM Rick Spielman -- he is only going to be a Junior (RS) for Nebraska in the fall.  If he has a huge year (very likely) he will likely come out early.  He's the TY, Morgan is the Wayne in terms of comp.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 2:30 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Yeah I guess that's what I was referring to when I mentioned basketball type skills.  I noticed how we will put himself squarely between the defender and the ball, especially on mid-depth or zone throws.  There are tiny adjustments in speed and position that can be made as the ball is approaching where you can box out the defender, forcing him to give it up or get flagged for P.I.  

There are some catches in the video where this skill is on full display.  

4 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

Yeah I guess that's what I was referring to when I mentioned basketball type skills.  I noticed how we will put himself squarely between the defender and the ball, especially on mid-depth or zone throws.  There are tiny adjustments in speed and position that can be made as the ball is approaching where you can box out the defender, forcing him to give it up or get flagged for P.I.  

There are some catches in the video where this skill is on full display.  

Reminds me so much of Reggie, just not the fan fare because he plays for Nebraska instead of Miami....

On 3/19/2019 at 4:43 PM, Jdubu said:

So you think we take 2 wr’s in the draft, one high and then Morgan later? Unless something happened today, I can still see Inman coming back on a 2-3 year deal if nobody gives him a good deal or something with a few years security. My other take from limited view last season was I liked what I seen from Johnson as a kid who could make a jump given reps. If he worked hard this offseason and shows in the summer, I could see him making a push for a spot. I’d love to see one of the other receivers to just break out this year and show we are able to flank TY and give him some relief in coverages. You maybe right though and all those other guys are just guys, peaked at who they are at this point. 

Missed this from the other day.  Yes I think its possible to take two Wrs, simply because I think the other guys are not that great.  Only Cain has real potential, IMO.  If we sign Inman I don't see us drafting Morgan, but Morgan is a bit of a younger version of Inman, with probably a higher ceiling so that trade off might be the way to go.  I'm counting on Funchess and a higher drafted rookie to immediately contribute more than what we had last year, so Inman/Morgan trade off can lean towards the future.

• Like 1