Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering is upon us!

53 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Landon Collins got 2019 top-tier FA pass rusher money to sign.

Not really. I didn't really want Collins and I'm laughing at that contract, but this isn't pass rusher money. Three years ago, Von Miller got $17m/year. Pass rushers are now in the $20-22m/year range, without even hitting free agency.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

I find it funny that most of you guys never want the Colts to spend the money (even when we have the most cap space), on these big time proven players, that could come in and truly make a difference on this team from the start.  Especially when these top tier players are that young and would be with us for 4-5 years. But are you all still going to be saying this when Nelson and Leonard are do their next contract? Especially when they will still be young. If they continue to play like they did this past season, they will both be at the top of their positions, and be demanding these same or more kind of contracts. Will you be saying the same thing? 

There is a difference when it is your own player. 

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, but for Colts fans by this time tomorrow Collins will be an overpriced, money grabbing safety that is greatly over-rated.

Oh it's already happening. I saw on the Coltswire Twitter page a tweet that said the Colts "dodged a bullet" in regards to Collins. Four days ago they wrote a piece about the perfect Colts offseason with Collins as a centerpiece.

It didn't even take day...it took a couple hours.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

I find it funny that most of you guys never want the Colts to spend the money (even when we have the most cap space), on these big time proven players, that could come in and truly make a difference on this team from the start.  Especially when these top tier players are that young and would be with us for 4-5 years. But are you all still going to be saying this when Nelson and Leonard are do their next contract? Especially when they will still be young. If they continue to play like they did this past season, they will both be at the top of their positions, and be demanding these same or more kind of contracts. Will you be saying the same thing? 

We will not be saying the same thing. Ballard has said from the start that part of the reason he doesn't break the bank in FA is to pay our own when their contracts come up. Folks can like it or not, but what he is doing is consistent with what he is saying and has said in the past. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really. I didn't really want Collins and I'm laughing at that contract, but this isn't pass rusher money. Three years ago, Von Miller got $17m/year. Pass rushers are now in the $20-22m/year range, without even hitting free agency.

Again I think people are missing where i said "2019 top tier FA pass rusher money". I.E. the money that goes to the best pass rushers on this 2019 off-season's UFA bidding.

I am not talking Aaron Donald, Mack, Jones, Watt, Lawrence, Clowney, etc. Those guys are not 2019 nfl free agents (technically the franchised guys are but I am focused on the UFAs that we can/will actually bid on since I doubt we ever bid on tagged guys).

I am talking Flowers, Smith, Smith, Houston, Fowler, etc.

The guys generally believed to be at the top of this year's FA market amongst pass rushers.

I will bite my tongue and admit I was wrong when everyone shows me all these pass rushers that sign for over $20M this off-season that the Colts had a chance to go out and get.

That is all I was getting at. Landon Collins got paid like he was a pass rusher in the top tier of the current crop of available free agents that everyone is bidding on. And that is bananas to me lol

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The problem is that not only is the draft class average at best for safeties, but now other safeties will want more now in FA. Better to just sign Collins.

Safety is a strength of this draft, and there are other safeties in free agency.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

Spending a bunch of money on OUTSIDE free agents is often not a good idea.  Price is too jacked up.

The teams that draft well and retain their drafted players are the teams that generally win.  The teams that try to buy their way to the top via free agency don't typically work out all that well.

You can get good players without spending a ton of money.  Eric Ebron was brought in for half of what Washington is giving Collins.  

7 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I will bite my tongue and admit I was wrong when everyone shows me all these pass rushers that sign for over $20M this off-season that the Colts had a chance to go out and get.

Got it. I didn't understand that you mean pass rushers hitting FA this year, but there are no top tier pass rushers in FA this year. Flowers was my guy, but he doesn't get a lot of sacks, and he's probably checking in at $17m/year, which is still $3m more than Collins got.

End of the day, we agree though. I was only moderately interested in Collins at $10-12m/year; I'm very fine with passing on him for $14m/year. 

The funny thing is, we've literally heard nothing from Colts HQ's - which is good as that means they are working hard on finding the "right" players on the "right" contract with the "right" mentality.

Landon Collins taking the money from the Redskins is exactly the type of player we don't want. He's not interested in winning - just show him the money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Got it. I didn't understand that you mean pass rushers hitting FA this year, but there are no top tier pass rushers in FA this year. Flowers was my guy, but he doesn't get a lot of sacks, and he's probably checking in at $17m/year, which is still $3m more than Collins got.

End of the day, we agree though. I was only moderately interested in Collins at $10-12m/year; I'm very fine with passing on him for $14m/year. 

100% on the same page there brotha. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

To be fair the best FAs don't hit FA. For example, Demarcus Lawrence will probably get 20+ with the Cowboys when it's said and done. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The funny thing is, we've literally heard nothing from Colts HQ's - which is good as that means they are working hard on finding the "right" players on the "right" contract with the "right" mentality.

Landon Collins taking the money from the Redskins is exactly the type of player we don't want. He's not interested in winning - just show him the money. 

wait a min. If your job offered you 80+ Ms, or you could take half that (about 40 Ms) to join the Colts org, you not taking the 80+ Ms? That doesn't mean that you are all about the "Money" or does it?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Vaccaro deal is the absolute floor for someone like Adrian Phillips. 

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

wait a min. If your job offered you 80+ Ms, or you could take half that (about 40 Ms) to join the Colts org, you not taking the 80+ Ms? That doesn't mean that you are all about the "Money" or does it?  

Yeah, we get kind of sanctimonious when it looks like someone said "no" to us...

• Like 2