Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering is upon us!

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Vaccaro deal is the absolute floor for someone like Adrian Phillips. 

Yeah, we get kind of sanctimonious when it looks like someone said "no" to us...

I mean guys, We are not millionaires having millionaire conversations are we? "Man, I know what I would have done if someone offered me XYZ" 

Please tell me that you wont do the same thing Landon Collins just did! Lets ask your wife then lol

Theres a reason why the NFL means Not For Long. If you could cash in a Lotto ticket of 80 Million, why wouldn't you? Especially playing one of the most dangerous positions on the field, Safety.

Just now, Superman said:

Crowder, three years, $28.5m. Kind of sets the bar for Humphries, who has more production. He's probably looking at $10m/year, or more.

Not really. Crowder has more yards since coming into the league...and he missed half of last season. The two years before last season...he was an 800 yard guy...and was close to that pace last season. Also averages a couple more yards per catch.

Crowder has injury concerns I guess...but he's more of a sure thing IMO. But I also don't think slot WRs are some rare commodity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Not really. Crowder has more yards since coming into the league...and he missed half of last season. The two years before last season...he was an 800 yard guy...and was close to that pace last season. Also averages a couple more yards per catch.

Crowder has injury concerns I guess...but he's more of a sure thing IMO. But I also don't think slot WRs are some rare commodity.

I was talking specifically about 2018.

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

wait a min. If your job offered you 80+ Ms, or you could take half that (about 40 Ms) to join the Colts org, you not taking the 80+ Ms? That doesn't mean that you are all about the "Money" or does it?  

The point is I think is your talking millions. Your set for life and can buy anything you want. I would rather play for a winning team. Your making millions either way.

15 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The funny thing is, we've literally heard nothing from Colts HQ's - which is good as that means they are working hard on finding the "right" players on the "right" contract with the "right" mentality.

Landon Collins taking the money from the Redskins is exactly the type of player we don't want. He's not interested in winning - just show him the money. 

What a silly post. We have no idea what drives Collins and what he thinks about WAS. Was he supposed to turn down the offer because WAS had a worse record than the Colts last season?

• Like 2

At some point, We have to sign 1 big contract. At some point. CB just has to decide if its going to be CJ Mosley, FLowers, Preston, etc. But To move to the next level, you are not going to fill all of your needs via the draft. Either you wont have enough picks to fill all the pressing needs or the player that you want/need wont be available at the spot you select, so.... Indianapolis Colts you are on the Free Agency clock! make it count!

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

The point is I think is your talking millions. Your set for life and can buy anything you want. I would rather play for a winning team. Your making millions either way.

Collins grew up idolizing Sean Taylor and a Redskins fan. He even said prior to being drafted it would be a dream come true to play for the Redskins. When someone offers you your childhood dream, plus a boatload of cash, you rarely will turn that down.

• Like 4

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I'd take the money, and it's not even close. Whether I win a SB or not, my football career is over in less than ten years, then I have the rest of my life to live. 

I'm not going to go somewhere I hate, but Collins is reportedly a Redskins/Sean Taylor fan, so he obviously doesn't hate it there. And they offered him a great contract. It's not a hard decision to make. Going to another team for less money doesn't guarantee him anything. Going to Washington probably guarantees Collins an extra $10m in upfront guarantees.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

You keep saying this and the players keep showing you, over and over again, that your thought process is flawed.

• Like 4

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

Collins grew up idolizing Sean Taylor and a Redskins fan. He even said prior to being drafted it would be a dream come true to play for the Redskins. When someone offers you your childhood dream, plus a boatload of cash, you rarely will turn that down.

And I imagine being a big part of bringing WAS back to the top plays a role as well.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Probably not fully guaranteed, but likely to be paid. Good job, Nick. He was ready to retire two years ago.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Cool. Though I would say we have seen time and time again that reduced recent production doesn't necessarily prevent a guy from getting paid.

Absolutely. I'm not even ranking them in value or ability, just saying how I think Crowder's deal correlates to Humphries' market. 

13 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

wait a min. If your job offered you 80+ Ms, or you could take half that (about 40 Ms) to join the Colts org, you not taking the 80+ Ms? That doesn't mean that you are all about the "Money" or does it?  

If you think the Colts offered only 7 million per year then just stop, your argument is not valid. They were most likely at 10-12 or they wouldn't have been the 'runner up'. So yes, he took the money to play with a lesser team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

You keep saying this and the players keep showing you, over and over again, that your thought process is flawed.

Nope. I think the right player who wants to win will come along. The post was right Collins doesn’t want to win. He is just chasing the cash. That isn’t who I want on this team. To each our own and if he is happy he is the only one he has to answer to. We want guys who want to be colts. That is why signing your own players is always best.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Is your family set for life too?
How about your foundation.
 You must be very young.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 21 reasons said:

Why the hell would we not take flowers for 5 years at $18M per year??

Seriously?

Have you followed Ballard since he became the GM.    He does no chase top players throwing top money at them.   He makes an offer,  and if they don’t want to sign for that, then he moves on.   

Ballard had consistently noted that teams that “win free agency” typically do poorly during the regular season.   

Ballard is an amazingly disciplined GM.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd take the money, and it's not even close. Whether I win a SB or not, my football career is over in less than ten years, then I have the rest of my life to live. 

I'm not going to go somewhere I hate, but Collins is reportedly a Redskins/Sean Taylor fan, so he obviously doesn't hate it there. And they offered him a great contract. It's not a hard decision to make. Going to another team for less money doesn't guarantee him anything. Going to Washington probably guarantees Collins an extra $10m in upfront guarantees.

Yep...given the nature of the NFL careers...you take the money. Maybe if it's BUF...you might reconsider haha. But unless it's a completely untenable situation...the goal should be to maximize your earnings if you can. If a guy doesn't care about that...that's fine...but most probably should (and do).

I think people have this idealistic idea of FA in sports. Yes...guys do sometimes seek teams that to win a ring/trophy. etc. But those are typically guys that can have both (money and any team they want)...or they are guys who are blessed to have played long careers and make a lot of money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Is your family set for life too?
How about your foundation.
 You must be very young.

No I am not young. Let’s be real. We aren’t talking about a player making a decision between 100k and millions. That is a no brainer. We are talking about a decision between millions and more millions. Your family is set either way.