Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering is upon us!

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Landon Collins was the one guy I really wanted in FA this year. Pretty much 50/50 against a Redskins team with little cap and we can't get him. Really upset, don't care what happens in the next few days now of FA. :(

No way I want him at that price. This kind of deal is why bad teams are bad. Redskins will be bad with these kind of deals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Landon Collins was the one guy I really wanted in FA this year. Pretty much 50/50 against a Redskins team with little cap and we can't get him. Really upset, don't care what happens in the next few days now of FA. :(

dont worry, he'll be back on the market in 2 years time.

11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Given these prices...might be time to explore the trade market. OBJ's contract...for example...doesn't look too bad.

This idea is really looking strong right now.  He has a great contract and considering what these FA prices are looking like it might make a lot of sense.  

Just now, richard pallo said:

This idea is really looking strong right now.  He has a great contract and considering what these FA prices are looking like it might make a lot of sense.  

OBJ is just one example because most people are like "that contract will kill us all." But even his contract doesn't look so crazy.

But I imagine there are a handful of guys on the trade market with "big" contracts that probably don't look so big right now. There are also guys entering walk years that teams might be open to trading. Ballard has cap space...maybe it's time for some wheeling an dealing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

No way I want him at that price. This kind of deal is why bad teams are bad. Redskins will be bad with these kind of deals.

The problem is that not only is the draft class average at best for safeties, but now other safeties will want more now in FA. Better to just sign Collins.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I was all for overpaying, at least for one player.  In this defense, Collins would have been a plug and play impact player IMO.  

That said, it was a lot of dough.  It might be better spent in a different way.  We'll see what happens.

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Really upset?!?

Dont Care what happens for the next few days?!?

The man got $86 mill.   

Hang in there...    we are being smart.   Remember what Ballard says...    teams that the typically win FA don’t do well in the regular season.    

Keep your head up!   Stay in the game!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I still thinks it’s funny that so many players only want cash and don’t want to win. I mean when your making millions and you just want more millions. I hope they love their cash and aren’t miserable after every game.

In the NFL...you almost have to take the money...unless you are one of the lucky ones that gets to have a very long career. Many guys only get the gtd amount of their deals.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Pretty much exactly what the estimated market dictated.

At this rate expect guys like Smith and Smith to get something like 4 yrs and $55M or as much as even 5 yrs and $75M

It is going to be a total clusterf%&*

This is why I am ok paying a guy like Houston 3 years and the $45-$50M I thought he would get when Brandon Graham signed his extension. Even though some folks here said no way Houston gets that much. I hope they are right and we still get him if so lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The problem is that not only is the draft class average at best for safeties, but now other safeties will want more now in FA. Better to just sign Collins.

Collins was widely considered to be the best safety available and the youngest.  Others will probably try to tag their value just below him.  None of them could make a legit argument to be above him in pay. 

So we could probably get Amos for like 12 or 13 million.  

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

lol this reminds me of when the NBA cap spiked and guys like Ian Mahinmi and Solomon Hill got massive contracts that teams have been trying to dump ever since. 

I was just thinking about that

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Smart money 

for whom? Detroit? heck no.  That was dumb.

Just now, TomDiggs said:

Pretty much exactly what the estimated market dictated.

At this rate expect guys like Smith and Smith to get something like 4 yrs and $55M or as much as even 5 yrs and $75M

It is going to be a total clusterf%&*

This is why I am ok paying a guy like Houston 3 years and the $45-$50M I thought he would get when Brandon Graham signed his extension. Even though some folks here said no way Houston gets that much. I hope they are right and we still get him if so lol

Thought he might get a bit more...though DET had the coach connection thing working in their favor. I bet it would have taken $18-19M to get him to another team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

And this is why I never got my hopes up for the big three everybody was clamoring for, Collins/Flowers/Mosley. Ballard's not gonna pay out insane contracts until it's time to keep our own guys.

Give it a few days.  I'm sure Ballard was prepared to give Collins a huge deal, just not that huge.  Someone's gonna get paid.

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Collins was widely considered to be the best safety available and the youngest.  Others will probably try to tag their value just below him.  None of them could make a legit argument to be above him in pay. 

So we could probably get Amos for like 12 or 13 million.  

I'd take Amos in a heartbeat. Problem is that we aren't interested from what I heard, Collins we were.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

But what is going to stop him from demanding a new one after a trade. 

That might not be a bad thing.  We won't be competing with any other team for his services.  Just renegotiate the contract.  We know he is a top receiver.  No argument there.  

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was just thinking about that

for whom? Detroit? heck no.  That was dumb.

No it wasn’t. QBs, OL and Pass Rush are premium positions. Flowers is young and great talent. Patricia will use him properly. It actually expected market for him

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'd take Amos in a heartbeat. Problem is that we aren't interested from what I heard, Collins we were.

Collins likely changes that

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

No it wasn’t. QBs, OL and Pass Rush are premium positions. Flowers is young and great talent. Patricia will use him properly. It actually expected market for him

Name a NE FA that has left NE and played to the level of his contract... I'll wait. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wasn't it Frank Gore that flipped after it was originally announced he'd agreed to the Eagles?

Yes, I think Gore agreed to a 3 year/$12M deal with the Eagles before he changed his mind and signed that with the Colts.