Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any players you DON’T want in the draft?

Is there any players you guys would be upset if we did select in the 1st round? 

I personally do NOT want:

Clelin Ferrell DE

Rashan Gary DT

I don’t think either fit our system well, and would much rather them be gone before we pick. 

I’m all for BPA, I just hope those guys aren’t as high on Ballard’s list. Here’s to hoping Ed Oliver or Montez Sweat falls to us at 26!

Not that he’ll be available, but I think Metcalf is way overrated.  Great straight line speed, but not much else.  Plus an injury history.  

But I’d love to get his running mate, Brown, in the second round.  

And this is me being a homer, Terry McLaurin is exactly what the Colts want in a player.  Great team guy, fast and physical.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree. I think Metcalf would be nice in the 2nd, but I would prefer a defensive player in the 1st. This draft is deep at WR. 

While I think we all agree we need a playmaker opposite T.Y., I’d rather get him as a FA.  T Williams, Tate, even a guy like John Brown, all experienced.  Pick up a rookie like McLauren in the 3rd.

Cant wait for the next couple weeks, the conversations are going to be changing!

For me, it's more of a what (position), than a who, that I don't want in the draft. 

I really don't want a S in the draft. And perhaps not a LB either. Those are two positions that are typically undervalued, and best snagged in FA. 

Give me Edge, WR, and Inside DL or CB with our first three picks. All higher dollar positions, best built off the draft. In the 3rd and later rounds, give me solid value, and hidden gems at OL, RB, TE. 

With Doyle and Ebron both expiring in 20, might be time to look for a hidden gem TE in the later rounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

Is there any players you guys would be upset if we did select in the 1st round? 

I personally do NOT want:

Clelin Ferrell DE

Rashan Gary DT

I don’t think either fit our system well, and would much rather them be gone before we pick. 

I’m all for BPA, I just hope those guys aren’t as high on Ballard’s list. Here’s to hoping Ed Oliver or Montez Sweat falls to us at 26!

Ferrell would be a decent replacement for Sheard at LDE...but I am not as crazy about him as some. Definitely better than anyone they have right now.

Gary on the other hand...yeah let's just say we disagree. Can't teach that combo of size/length, strength and athleticism. He's on par with Mario Williams in that category. I think he will be a great NFL player. Unlike some...I even think he can play 4-3 DE...strongside.

What is that you don't like about him? If it's production...I get that. But his tape definitely shows a guy that can make NFL plays. And after drafting Turay and Lewis in the 2nd round, hard to say that production is much of a concern to Ballard.

22 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Ferrell would be a decent replacement for Sheard at LDE...but I am not as crazy about him as some. Definitely better than anyone they have right now.

Gary on the other hand...yeah let's just say we disagree. Can't teach that combo of size/length, strength and athleticism. He's on par with Mario Williams in that category. I think he will be a great NFL player. Unlike some...I even think he can play 4-3 DE...strongside.

What is that you don't like about him? If it's production...I get that. But his tape definitely shows a guy that can make NFL plays. And after drafting Turay and Lewis in the 2nd round, hard to say that production is much of a concern to Ballard.

Williams was also a great college player though. Gary is a physical freak but his play rarely reflected it. I have watched my Buckeye OL, who haven't been good at all the past 2 years, make him invisible. I think he's being wagered on his potential and not what he is now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Turay and Lewis both were projected to go in the 2nd/3rd round of the draft. Gary is projected to go as high as No. 8 overall. I don’t think production has shown he is worth the gamble, especially as he isn’t the best scheme fit for us coming out of college either. 

He very well could be a really solid DE, but I don’t think he will ever compare to Mario Williams in his prime. 

14 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Williams was also a great college player though. Gary is a physical freak but his play rarely reflected it. I have watched my Buckeye OL, who haven't been good at all the past 2 years, make him invisible. I think he's being wagered on his potential and not what he is now.

I will take that wager all day...at #26.

I think this past year was impacted by injury somewhat...and his usage at Michigan was different from what it will be in the NFL.

Not saying he's a slam dunk by any means...but I think you can teach/hone things like hand placement/technique, counter moves, etc.

You can't teach what he can do naturally...speed, length, power and closing burst. 

Ballard likes versatile DL players...and I think Gary would fit that very well. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Turay and Lewis both were projected to go in the 2nd/3rd round of the draft. Gary is projected to go as high as No. 8 overall. I don’t think production has shown he is worth the gamble, especially as he isn’t the best scheme fit for us coming out of college either. 

He very well could be a really solid DE, but I don’t think he will ever compare to Mario Williams in his prime. 

Yeah...I don't think he will be as good as Mario Williams...I was just comparing their H/W/S and athleticism.

I think Gary will be long gone before the Colts pick...so it's all moot. 

It depends on where you get the player.

For examples:

Dre' Mont Jones at 26 or 34, no.  Dre' Mont Jones at 59, probably yes.

Hakeem Butler at No.26, probably no. Hakeem Butler at No.34, yes and onwards.

It is an inexact science. Extrapolating small school players to big league competition, evaluating context of production of a player w.r.t his assignments, that is what our scouts and GM get paid the big bucks for. We are just making educated guesses at best. :) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not that he’ll be available, but I think Metcalf is way overrated.  Great straight line speed, but not much else.  Plus an injury history.  

And this is me being a homer, Terry McLaurin is exactly what the Colts want in a player.  Great team guy, fast and physical.  

I think his teammate Parris is better than McLaurin but that's just me.

• Like 2

N'Keal Harry - big guy with no hands

JJ Arcega-Whiteside - big guy who can't get separation

Jachai Polite - you don't tweet to the world every time you feel you've been dissed by coaches

Jaylon Ferguson - off field reasons

Ed Oliver - disrespecting his coach on the field

Jamel Dean - seriously injury prone

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I will take that wager all day...at #26.

I think this past year was impacted by injury somewhat...and his usage at Michigan was different from what it will be in the NFL.

Not saying he's a slam dunk by any means...but I think you can teach/hone things like hand placement/technique, counter moves, etc.

You can't teach what he can do naturally...speed, length, power and closing burst. 

Ballard likes versatile DL players...and I think Gary would fit that very well. 

Winovich seemed like the more versatile player to me, but Im not sure of the difference in their measurables, might even be a better colts culture guy. :2c:

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I like AJ Brown and Parris Campbell, both of whom may be available in the 2nd... although I wouldn't want to wager on Brown being there if indeed that's "our guy"

1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Winovich seemed like the more versatile player to me, but Im not sure of the difference in their measurables, might even be a better colts culture guy. :2c:

I like Winovich...but I do think he benefited from a guy like Gary taking attention away. One thing I notice about watching Gary...Winovich always seems to be the first guy celebrating with him after a big play. I like that. Winovich is intriguing...but I am not sure how early I would draft him.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Jachai Polite - you don't tweet to the world every time you feel you've been dissed by coaches

I'm guessing perhaps you have Harry confused with someone else?

Here is the profile on Harry....     the only question he had,  was about his speed.   And he answered that at the Combine running 4.53.    His hands are a strength,  not a weakness...   There's a mention about a "few focus drops"...     but that's a focus issue...   not a hands issue.

Overview

Back-shoulder boss who thrives with contested catch opportunities outside the numbers but lacks explosive traits. Harry's ability to body-up opponents and win with ball skills is undeniable, but his inability to find a threatening top gear or shake loose from tight man coverage must be accounted for within his new employer's scheme. His experience playing inside should help and teams will love his impact as a run-blocker. His competitiveness and ability to come down with the ball could make him a productive member of wide receiver trio in short order.

Strengths

Highly competitive at everything he does

Consistently productive over three seasons

Fearless play demeanor with alpha swagger

Uses hands to swat coverage jam and release from press

Big, presentable target on slants and in zone work

Leverages and stems his way to open catch space

Plays with patience and poise to win combat catches

Strong hands and well-respected ball skills

Outworks opponents to carve out work space in tight quarters

Wins jump balls with well-timed leaps and frame to shield the finish

Stiff-arm getaways after the catch

Junkyard dog who is willing to scrap as a blocker

Can clinch and manhandle finesse corners in space

Weaknesses

Feet not quick enough in stutter-release vs

press

Tends to wear tight, press coverage for much of the route

Downhill speed fails to threaten most cornerbacks

NFL corners likely to squat on and squeeze his breaks and turns

Too upright slowing his route breaks

Suffered from a few focus drops headed into traffic

Needs better urgency getting up the field after catch

Below-average stop-start quickness to elude and accelerate

Wasn't a major factor in red zone

Sources Tell Us

"All this talk about (his lack of) separation is overdone. In the league, nobody gets that much separation anyway. You have to know how to use your body and route leverage and you need strong hands. From what I've seen of him, he does all that stuff well." -- Wide receivers coach with AFC team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm guessing perhaps you have Harry confused with someone else?

Here is the profile on Harry....     the only question he had,  was about his speed.   And he answered that at the Combine running 4.53.    His hands are a strength,  not a weakness...   There's a mention about a "few focus drops"...     but that's a focus issue...   not a hands issue.

Overview

Back-shoulder boss who thrives with contested catch opportunities outside the numbers but lacks explosive traits. Harry's ability to body-up opponents and win with ball skills is undeniable, but his inability to find a threatening top gear or shake loose from tight man coverage must be accounted for within his new employer's scheme. His experience playing inside should help and teams will love his impact as a run-blocker. His competitiveness and ability to come down with the ball could make him a productive member of wide receiver trio in short order.

Strengths

Highly competitive at everything he does

Consistently productive over three seasons

Fearless play demeanor with alpha swagger

Uses hands to swat coverage jam and release from press

Big, presentable target on slants and in zone work

Leverages and stems his way to open catch space

Plays with patience and poise to win combat catches

Strong hands and well-respected ball skills

Outworks opponents to carve out work space in tight quarters

Wins jump balls with well-timed leaps and frame to shield the finish

Stiff-arm getaways after the catch

Junkyard dog who is willing to scrap as a blocker

Can clinch and manhandle finesse corners in space

Weaknesses

Feet not quick enough in stutter-release vs

press

Tends to wear tight, press coverage for much of the route

Downhill speed fails to threaten most cornerbacks

NFL corners likely to squat on and squeeze his breaks and turns

Too upright slowing his route breaks

Suffered from a few focus drops headed into traffic

Needs better urgency getting up the field after catch

Below-average stop-start quickness to elude and accelerate

Wasn't a major factor in red zone

Sources Tell Us

"All this talk about (his lack of) separation is overdone. In the league, nobody gets that much separation anyway. You have to know how to use your body and route leverage and you need strong hands. From what I've seen of him, he does all that stuff well." -- Wide receivers coach with AFC team

You may be right.  I may have him confused with a different guy.  I'll pull his name from the list.  N'Keal, you're good again!

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

You may be right.  I may have him confused with a different guy.  I'll pull his name from the list.  N'Keal, you're good again!

Hey...   we’ve all been down that road — me included.  You post enough this time of year and it will happen. 

Appreciate your response.      :thmup:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree on Jaylon Ferguson, however it is hard to dispute his production. 

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have a few guys I don't like. 

Kelvin Harmon, Marquise Brown, Jaylen Ferguson, Jonah Williams, Nassir Adderly, Greedy Williams, Jachai Polite, Ed Oliver and Deionte Thompson.

Other than that, I'm open to anyone in that range.

Why aren’t you for Ed Oliver? I think he would be a stud in our scheme! 

50 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Why aren’t you for Ed Oliver? I think he would be a stud in our scheme! 

When you pitch a fit, get in your coach's face, and then stomp off like somebody took your lollipop, well, that just doesn't fly with me.

Fortunately, we won't have to make that decision.  Oliver will be long gone by the time we pick at 26.

• Like 1

What’s with the Clelin Farrell hate? I personally like the dude, and his Death Row Records tribute speech after the national championship game. All joking aside, I like him better than Joey Bosa and Rashan Gary.

Personally I don’t want:

Dexter Lawrence - More of a 3-4 NT than a 4-3 DE. Pass! 

Marquise Brown - We already have a WR with his skill set. 

Jaylon Ferguson - Nothing on tape with this guy impresses me. Nothing but a flash in the pan DE. 

Players I do want.

Byron Murphy 

DeAndre Baker

Kelvin Harmon 

Christian Wilkins 

Clelin Farrell 

Few players I don't want:
Jachai Polite - such a sluggish combine, not encouraging, small for our system. 

Jonah Williams - he's a guard at the next level imo. 

Top 5 realistic options:

Andre Dillard, OT, Washington - perhaps the truest LT in the draft. I think it'd suit him better to wind up in a situation like ours where he wouldn't be expect to be a day 1 starter as well. 

Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson - guy who could upgrade on the inside of our D-line, has some versatility. 

Brian Burns, Edge, Florida St. - he's got great length and burst, plays a high value position. 

DeAndre Baker, CB, Georgia - not the biggest or fastest CB in the draft, so could slide a little - he is big and fast enough, has fantastic ball skills, and plus tackling. 

Jeffery Simmons, DL, Mississippi St. - talented guy who will miss the season. I've heard things about his past that aren't good, but he's also got people who support him vocally. 

• Like 1