Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I missed the Pro Bowl

oldunclemark

You didn't miss much really.  Only one guy on Defense was playing hard which led him to Defensive MVP only since he was the only guy going hard, he just looked like he was taking advantage of an "agreement" to make sure no one got hurt.  He crushed a QB, crushed his own fellow defensive players and it was just wrong based on how everyone else was playing.  They were playing a slowed down version of flag football for the most part. 

And still, sadly Luck just looked "off" like he did in the last game.  He missed several wide open guys by more than 5 yards... it was weird. 

I know none of it matters, but it looked like he was really struggle to toss the ball.  And JuJu might have really gotten hurt.  I haven't heard anything, but if he has a serious injury, that might be the final nail in the Pro Bowl Coffin.  There is just no "safe" way to play with guys that big and strong and fast, especially with a couple going faster than the others, it could have spelled disaster and it has in the past. 

I think they should do it like they did the skills challenges only with some REAL competition as no one looked like they were doing much more than going through the motions.  If they played as hard as those old "battle of the stars" matches between football teams where they ran track events and others intense battles, with a few funny ones tossed in and always ended with a tug of war between the O and D lines from each team really digging in and going at it.   THOSE were fun and likely safer than this faux football game they play. 

Imagine the 4 fastest guys on each team racing at various distances and how hard those dudes would run to try and win.. THAT would be exciting.  And have them playing for MORE charity money with the charities different for each challenge and find funny things for each group to do (like kickers or full backs etc.) that usually don't factor in much otherwise (though they tried to get an MVP award for the little used but Pro Bowl none the less FB from Kansas City but running him and passing to him a LOT having him rack up yards and score once and gave him more chances to score more than any other player.  

I hope JuJu is fine, but he looked seriously injured from what they showed.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gramz said:

They looked to be having a fun time.

I thought that was entertaining.

They were letting RBs like Kamara rush the passer, and WRs like Evans play CB (he got an INT), DBs were playing RB, and the star of the game was a FB getting a TD and catching a bunch of passes for a bunch of yards.

It looked like a lot of fun, like backyard football.  I enjoyed it.  :thmup:

(But I also know it's really just a fun reward for the players, and not supposed to be taken seriously like a real football game.  haha)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JPFolks said:

You didn't miss much really.  Only one guy on Defense was playing hard which led him to Defensive MVP only since he was the only guy going hard, he just looked like he was taking advantage of an "agreement" to make sure no one got hurt.  He crushed a QB, crushed his own fellow defensive players and it was just wrong based on how everyone else was playing.  They were playing a slowed down version of flag football for the most part. 

And still, sadly Luck just looked "off" like he did in the last game.  He missed several wide open guys by more than 5 yards... it was weird. 

I know none of it matters, but it looked like he was really struggle to toss the ball.  And JuJu might have really gotten hurt.  I haven't heard anything, but if he has a serious injury, that might be the final nail in the Pro Bowl Coffin.  There is just no "safe" way to play with guys that big and strong and fast, especially with a couple going faster than the others, it could have spelled disaster and it has in the past. 

I think they should do it like they did the skills challenges only with some REAL competition as no one looked like they were doing much more than going through the motions.  If they played as hard as those old "battle of the stars" matches between football teams where they ran track events and others intense battles, with a few funny ones tossed in and always ended with a tug of war between the O and D lines from each team really digging in and going at it.   THOSE were fun and likely safer than this faux football game they play. 

Imagine the 4 fastest guys on each team racing at various distances and how hard those dudes would run to try and win.. THAT would be exciting.  And have them playing for MORE charity money with the charities different for each challenge and find funny things for each group to do (like kickers or full backs etc.) that usually don't factor in much otherwise (though they tried to get an MVP award for the little used but Pro Bowl none the less FB from Kansas City but running him and passing to him a LOT having him rack up yards and score once and gave him more chances to score more than any other player.  

Knee bruise.    Not serious

The Pro bowl is more about, all of these guys in one city for a week, to be accessible to the fans who come there and those who live there. When I lived in Hawaii, It was just having, for the week, all of the players going to different events around town, giving you the chance to talk to them. At the game it was just  a laid back tail gating event. I can understand that it doesn't translate well to watching it on TV.

As far as injuries, even if  they stopped playing the actual  game. They can get hurt in skill player drills.  I remember in Hawaii, a young Running back, (can't recall his name) had a serious knee injury playing Volley Ball at a function at the beach. 

13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Yeah...Luck didn’t look good at all.  Also threw an interception.  His throws didn’t look right.  Looked like he did in Kansas City.  Weird.

4 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

The Pro bowl is more about, all of these guys in one city for a week, to be accessible to the fans who come there and those who live there. When I lived in Hawaii, It was just having, for the week, all of the players going to different events around town, giving you the chance to talk to them. At the game it was just  a laid back tail gating event. I can understand that it doesn't translate well to watching it on TV.

As far as injuries, even if  they stopped playing the actual  game. They can get hurt in skill player drills.  I remember in Hawaii, a young Running back, (can't recall his name) had a serious knee injury playing Volley Ball at a function at the beach. 

That would be Robert Edwards. A Patriots 1st round pick in 98 I believe.   Ended his career before it even started.   

Upon further research the injury did not end his career. He returned to the NFL in 2002 with the Dolphins. Played one more season & then played in the CFL for 4 more years. They say the injury he received on that beach in 99 almost caused him to lose his leg.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Did you also see Luck during the last moment of the 40yd splash competition? He couldn't hit the target, and both teams were taking so long that he even got an extra attempt. The announcer was surprised Luck couldn't hit it.

By comparison, watch Drew Brees accuracy on Sports Science:

I'll give Luck the benefit of the doubt on the first throw, as his hands were probably wet from handling the water, but yikes.

I'm beginning to think Luck needs to just go to a precision football camp; maybe he's been concentrating too much on bulking/ recovery and it's sidetracked him from his QB fundamentals.

16 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

That would be Robert Edwards. A Patriots 1st round pick in 98 I believe.   Ended his career before it even started.   

Upon further research the injury did not end his career. He returned to the NFL in 2002 with the Dolphins. Played one more season & then played in the CFL for 4 more years. They say the injury he received on that beach in 99 almost caused him to lose his leg.

That was a terrible situation. He tore the knee up but the main thing was the dislocation of it that almost lead to them amputating it in the hospital. 

It was a nice story for him to come back, but he was obviously never the same player again. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 8:42 PM, ReMeDy said:

Did you also see Luck during the last moment of the 40yd splash competition? He couldn't hit the target, and both teams were taking so long that he even got an extra attempt. The announcer was surprised Luck couldn't hit it.

I'll give Luck the benefit of the doubt on the first throw, as his hands were probably wet from handling the water, but yikes.

I'm beginning to think Luck needs to just go to a precision football camp; maybe he's been concentrating too much on bulking/ recovery and it's sidetracked him from his QB fundamentals.

I kind of find his bad performance in all facets of the probowl concerning. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:42 PM, ReMeDy said:

Yeah, I couldn't tell if he was just being cautious with the shoulder and throwing half power or something but the accuracy was horrendous.  I know it was just filling time, but man, tossing at some targets shouldn't really produce that bad of throws, and his game play was similarly inaccurate as it was in the KC game at times and off and on during the season.  It was just odd.  

This just in.....the entire world gets that some fans don't think that the ProBowl is real football. 

Man it took us a long time to truly get that. We are hard headed sometimes. But just in case, better bring it up again next year to hammer that point home. 

sarcasm....