Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The One Play That Set The Tone

WarGhost21

While watching, and then when rewatching, the Colts-Chiefs game, there was one play that stood out early on. And I mean very early. The first play of the game, in fact. Luck takes the snap, hands it off to Mack, and almost immediately the play is over. The result? A 3 yard loss, in which Dee Ford comes screaming in from the right side of the line completely untouched. Watching the rest of the team on that play: Luck didn’t adjust, the Line looked sluggish, Mack seemed a step off, and nobody even once looked Ford’s way. It was sad to watch, to say the least. In my opinion, it set the tone. After the play, I even told my siblings that we were in for a long day, just based off of that. The Chiefs were coming out swinging, and we completely curled up at that. It took away our game plan, and didn’t allow us anything on that inaugural drive, which history shows is huge in playoff games. Any thoughts?

• Like 2

Teams with fortitude respond. When the Seahawks’ Chcellor  leveled DT in the Broncos SB, it set a tone. Broncos never countered.

When they picked off Brady in the first quarter in the next SB, Edelman took out Jeremy Lane’s knees and caught a TD vs his replacement in quRter 4. When the Seahawks went up 24-14 and Sherman celebrated, Patriots D shut them down after that.

Hernandez catches TD to go up 17-9 vs Giants in SB in Indy in 3rd quarter,  Giants responded by shutting Brady down the rest of the way.

You will get punched, teams with fortitude get back up!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

While watching, and then when rewatching, the Colts-Chiefs game, there was one play that stood out early on. And I mean very early. The first play of the game, in fact. Luck takes the snap, hands it off to Mack, and almost immediately the play is over. The result? A 3 yard loss, in which Dee Ford comes screaming in from the right side of the line completely untouched. Watching the rest of the team on that play: Luck didn’t adjust, the Line looked sluggish, Mack seemed a step off, and nobody even once looked Ford’s way. It was sad to watch, to say the least. In my opinion, it set the tone. After the play, I even told my siblings that we were in for a long day, just based off of that. The Chiefs were coming out swinging, and we completely curled up at that. It took away our game plan, and didn’t allow us anything on that inaugural drive, which history shows is huge in playoff games. Any thoughts?

How about the one 2 plays later ? Enron's dropped  pass . He and the team walked off like that was no big deal ?  I'm sure they cared but the appearance was crazy IMO.

• Like 3

Fatigue. Lots of youth on our line. Just played a monster playoff game on the road racking 200 yards rushing. Playing on the road again against a formidable D-line pressure that had a week to repair, strengthen, and get massages. 

I am actually surprised they made it as far as they did. Next year will be different from a stamina point. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

How about the one 2 plays later ? Enron's dropped  pass . He and the team walked off like that was no big deal ?  I'm sure they cared but the appearance was crazy IMO.

They seem to smile alot even when they are playing really bad 

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Fatigue. Lots of youth on our line. Just played a monster playoff game on the road racking 200 yards rushing. Playing on the road again against a formidable D-line pressure that had a week to repair, strengthen, and get massages. 

I am actually surprised they made it as far as they did. Next year will be different from a stamina point. 

Also I think somehow the bad field effected both our lines. But yeah , it was a taller order than most were thinking .

20 minutes ago, dw49 said:

That was mine...dw….we needed to keep them off the field...and that was a first down catch

Do y’all remember the first 2 plays of the Houston game?

First play - 0 yard catch for Mack. Second play - 2 yard loss.

We faced 3rd and 12 right away. But Luck found Hilton for the first. We went 6/6 on 3rd downs in the first half vs Houston. Vs KC? 0 for. 

Right after that 3 yard loss, Mack picked up 10 on an outside run. Ebron dropped a pass on 3rd and 3.

We lost this game on 3rd down.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

To me Ebron's drop that was the bomb.  Right away I started thinking about all of the drop balls this year and Ebron in particular.  He had the TD's but he had plenty of drops.  Three and out to start and they looked comatose doing it.  

Yeah... my point exactly.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That was mine...dw….we needed to keep them off the field...and that was a first down catch

I mean .. come on man... KC guys were catching everything that touched their hands. Watson caught a pass thrown way too hard with one hand . If he tips it , probably an INT. Then you have Ebron muffing a soft little dink that was maybe 5 inches too low and our guys trot off the field. Ridiculous...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I mean .. come on man... KC guys were catching everything that touched their hands. Watson caught a pass thrown way too hard with one hand . If he tips it , probably an INT. Then you have Ebron muffing a soft little dink that was maybe 5 inches too low and our guys trot off the field. Ridiculous...

That miss catch by Cox in the corner. Literally went right through his hands. I think the stage was to big for them. Sucks we lost but great learning experience 

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That miss catch by Cox in the corner. Literally went right through his hands. I think the stage was to big for them. Sucks we lost but great learning experience 

Yes ... the Colts laid a 60 minute egg . Considering that only Moore and Inman had good games , it's a stretch to say 1 particular play was the "turning point." Maybe we should instead say the "early play " that should have tipped us off as what was to come ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dw49 said:

Eric Ebron and his wife recently had a baby.  Many congrats to the Ebron family!

(And, Mrs. Ebron, don’t let your husband hold that precious child unless he’s standing over a soft bed.)

5 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Ebron's drop in their first possession set the tone. Game over.

I think it set the tone for the first half. 

I think Vinny's miss after a beautiful job clawing into damn near a touchdown going into half, killed them for the remainder of the game. As one Indy writer said, if Vinny is missing that kind of kick, ain't nothing going right for anybody...