Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deon Cain

Dark Superman

I know a lot of people I talk to on here and Twitter seem very high on Cain. I don't watch college football and I do recall there being a lot of praise about him during Training Camp before he tore his ACL.

I'm an optimistic person and want to see every guy that plays for the Shoe succeed. But until Deon can get back on the field and prove himself on the field in either Preseason or regular season games, I'm not counting on him coming through as one of our top3 receivers heading into next season.

Every Colts fan knows we need to upgrade the WR position during the offseason. Chris Ballard knows it. I firmly believe he sign at least one WR in free agency and spend a high draft pick (between rounds 1-2) on someone. I'll honestly be shocked if he doesn't to be quite honest. Be patience Colts Nation.

Its wise not to count on Cain........ (by himself)

We have ALL seen preseason wonders..........  that didnt pan out

I HOPE that he is a solid WR for us next year

I am warming up to a WR with one of the first 3 picks.....  Big and tall, can win one-on-ones...... when its cold and wet, on the grass..... outside in the playoffs

The Eagles, seems to like the tall WRs........  I bet Reich brings that here.... this next draft

• Thanks 1

I think a lot of the positivity came from the noises being made within the Colts camp, as well as some of the reporters who were on site in camp stating he was looking really good.

I agree though, until he shows it on the field, and that his injury will not have long term effects, WR has to be near the top of Ballard's wish list this offseason.

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

The Eagles, seems to like the tall WRs........  I bet Reich brings that here.... this next draft

Ballard seems to like big and tall WR's also, they just haven't worked out (people like Kamar Aiken). 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its wise not to count on Cain........ (by himself)

We have ALL seen preseason wonders..........  that didnt pan out

I think one of the big differences between Cain and some other preseason wonders like Rogers or Duron Carter and Cain is that with Cain it was the coaches and reporters talking about him... with Rogers and Carters it was the fans hyping them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I think a lot of the positivity came from the noises being made within the Colts camp, as well as some of the reporters who were on site in camp stating he was looking really good.

I agree though, until he shows it on the field, and that his injury will not have long term effects, WR has to be near the top of Ballard's wish list this offseason.

Ballard seems to like big and tall WR's also, they just haven't worked out (people like Kamar Aiken). 

How tall is Tyrek Hill? I think Ballard just likes talent and doesn’t put everyone inside a box, well, except for those OL and DE guys not on the roster anymore. Took gambles on profiles alone and struck out. I’d like to think he learned a lesson from those two and looks at profile as well as pure talent, not projection as much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think one of the big differences between Cain and some other preseason wonders like Rogers or Duron Carter and Cain is that with Cain it was the coaches and reporters talking about him... with Rogers and Carters it was the fans hyping them.

The other part was Cain stood out in college but not sure the other guys were studs at college level rather they either had a prototype wr profile build (Carter) and an underdog overachiever in Rogers who played his way onto the team. Cain actually did it in college, showed it in practice and has the prototype build as well. He was shoved down in the draft because of off the field character issues. 

Im still surprised that Carter couldn’t cut it in the nfl though. Big disappointment. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Also I think Cain had a drop off in his last year that wasn't totally his fault. If he came out in the 2017 draft , I'm pretty sure he would have gone at least 3 rounds higher. Cain just never synced with the new Clemson QB . That's really big when you consider Clemson was a running team that year and they used Cain mostly to blow the top off defenses. Plus he had a few drops. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

But I THINK that you would agree...... we could STILL use a WR talent...... IN ADDITION to Cain

• Like 1

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

But I THINK that you would agree...... we could STILL use a WR talent...... IN ADDITION to Cain

It depends on if the Colts extend Innman or not.  I think 3-tech (even with the way Autry has been playing), DE, a safety and a CB are bigger priorities than a WR.  But that is me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I know a lot of people I talk to on here and Twitter seem very high on Cain. I don't watch college football and I do recall there being a lot of praise about him during Training Camp before he tore his ACL.

I'm an optimistic person and want to see every guy that plays for the Shoe succeed. But until Deon can get back on the field and prove himself on the field in either Preseason or regular season games, I'm not counting on him coming through as one of our top3 receivers heading into next season.

Every Colts fan knows we need to upgrade the WR position during the offseason. Chris Ballard knows it. I firmly believe he sign at least one WR in free agency and spend a high draft pick (between rounds 1-2) on someone. I'll honestly be shocked if he doesn't to be quite honest. Be patience Colts Nation.

I don’t expect a WR to get drafted until the 3rd or 4th round. I think CB , LB, OL or DL are likely with the first two picks to be honest.

• Like 3

IMO we are not hurting for WRs as much as most think.

Pascal/6-2 219lbs.

Inman/6-3 205lbs.

Fountain/6-2 210

Cain/6-2 202lbs.

Johnson/6-1 204lbs.

Wright/6-1 203lbs.

Hogan/6-2 222lbs.

Ishmael/6-2 212lbs.

Other than signing a free agent, I just don't see Ballard using a higher draft pick on a receiver.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pascal/6-2 219lbs.

Inman/6-3 205lbs.

Cain/6-2 202lbs.

Johnson/6-1 204lbs.

Wright/6-1 203lbs.

Hogan/6-2 222lbs.

Ishmael/6-2 212lbs.

Other than signing a free agent, I just don't see Ballard using a higher draft pick on a receiver.

I think you just proved the opposite.  I like the potential of Cain, but I can see the colts using a 2nd or 3rd on a WR.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pascal/6-2 219lbs.

Inman/6-3 205lbs.

Fountain/6-2 210

Cain/6-2 202lbs.

Johnson/6-1 204lbs.

Wright/6-1 203lbs.

Hogan/6-2 222lbs.

Ishmael/6-2 212lbs.

None of them are really good though. A few are average or maybe a tad above average but not convinced any of them can be a good #2. 

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I think you just proved the opposite.  I like the potential of Cain, but I can see the colts using a 2nd or 3rd on a WR.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

None of them are really good though. A few are average or maybe a tad above average but not convinced any of them can be a good #2. 

Ballard evidently seen good things in these players or they wouldn't be on the team at all. Saying they are not really good is premature. We have already seen that Johnson is pretty good. Cain has all the intangibles wanted in a WR.

I feel confident that some of these players develop.

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pascal/6-2 219lbs.

Inman/6-3 205lbs.

Fountain/6-2 210

Cain/6-2 202lbs.

Johnson/6-1 204lbs.

Wright/6-1 203lbs.

Hogan/6-2 222lbs.

Ishmael/6-2 212lbs.

Nice measurements but none of these guys are real No. 2 or 3's.  Maybe Cain?  WR is a huge need.   I can see him using a high pick on one. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Nice measurements but none of these guys are real No. 2 or 3's.  Maybe Cain?  WR is a huge need.   I can see him using a high pick on one. 

Too premature to say none of these guy's can be a # 2 or 3. There are great receivers all over the league who were developed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

How the ___ would you know?
 If Cain is healthy he can go deep and they say he is a route runner. I ask can he catch the ____ ball with those tiny hands?
 You watched i suppose, Pascal and Rogers BOTH play like solid #3's yesterday and spout this bunk. Get a clue'

18 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

A good thing D Superman's point of view is pointless.
The coaches and Ballard have been watching all these guys for a long time.
How about Pascal. Didn't he look really good Sunday? Oh yes, he did!
 He gave'em some Reggie and it was awesome.

The thing is I am not saying we couldn't use some high talent in the WR department but IMO we are not as bare as some think. Most all NFL teams need more talent in all phases.

I could see Ballard signing a free agent or two but IMO he will still be working on the trenches and DB before going high pick in the draft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is I am not saying we couldn't use some high talent in the WR department but IMO we are not as bare as some think. Most all NFL teams need more talent in all phases.

I could see Ballard signing a free agent or two but IMO he will still be working on the trenches and DB before going high pick in the draft. 

If Ballard Loves a guy in 2nd or 3rd rd i will be happy.  I bet he is tall with great hands if so. :thmup:

We really just need a quality CB and DT in FA to set up great options in the draft.
I feel good about a DT being there, more iffy on that CB upgrade in FA.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If Cain is healthy he can go deep and they say he is a route runner. I ask can he catch the ____ ball with those tiny hands?
 You watched i suppose, Pascal and Rogers BOTH play like solid #3's yesterday and spout this bunk. Get a clue'

I see you have a hard time with reading comprehension.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Too premature to say none of these guy's can be a # 2 or 3. There are great receivers all over the league who were developed.

There is a chance some of these guys could develop but we can't sit there and hope they do.  If there is a WR he likes I can see him picking one in the 1st three rounds.  Also in FA.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There is a chance some of these guys could develop but we can't sit there and hope they do.  If there is a WR he likes I can see him picking one in the 1st three rounds.  Also in FA.  

The thing is rookie WRs very rarely come into the league making an impact their first year or two. Ballard has a better chance at shopping for free agents than finding one in the draft that would make a difference next season. 

I stand by my opinion that we are not as bare in the receiver department than most think.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2018 at 4:01 AM, DarkSuperman said:

I think we sign a WR in free agency and I think we’ll draft one as well.

But I wouldn’t bet much that Ballard will spend a first or second round pick on a WR.     He might.    But I don’t think it’s a lock.     

Ballard’s view if the team isn’t the same as a fans view if this team.   Just think back to April and the 18 draft.   I’d guess way more than 50 percent of the posters here were happy with his draft picks.    What we see and what he sees are two diffferent things.

I’m guessing there’s a 40-50 percent chance of a WR in R2.    So again, you MAY be right...    but don’t bet on it.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Wowza!     :omg:

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!   

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pascal/6-2 219lbs.

Inman/6-3 205lbs.

Fountain/6-2 210

Cain/6-2 202lbs.

Johnson/6-1 204lbs.

Wright/6-1 203lbs.

Hogan/6-2 222lbs.

Ishmael/6-2 212lbs.

Agree there is potential there.  Cain impressd before injury, Pascal has shown some HANDS. The rest are really hit or miss.  

It would be nice to line up a real threat opposite Hilton.  It would open up plays for the TEs and RBs too.  Also would help the running game.  We have an extra 2nd and lots of cash for FA.  If Ballard doesnt see the answer on the roster, he certainly has the tools to get a top-flight receiver.  The guys on the above list I wouldnt put in that category.  If Hilton would go down, we'd quickly see the quality of depth. (Or lack thereof)

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard evidently seen good things in these players or they wouldn't be on the team at all. Saying they are not really good is premature. We have already seen that Johnson is pretty good. Cain has all the intangibles wanted in a WR.

I feel confident that some of these players develop.

I'm not trying to be snarky at all but how/when/where did we see that Johnson is pretty good?  Honest question...

I had to watch that guy for years at Texas and he is the epitome of underwhelming....  I feel the same way now.  I think the most he has caught is what? 2 balls in a single game? or at least it feels that way.  I may be wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I'm not trying to be snarky at all but how/when/where did we see that Johnson is pretty good?  Honest question...

I had to watch that guy for years at Texas and he is the epitome of underwhelming....  I feel the same way now.  I think the most he has caught is what? 2 balls in a single game? or at least it feels that way.  I may be wrong. 

Only thing I know about Johnson is that horrible 3rd down drop he had in OT vs the Texans.  

Long way till off season, and till some of these "pending" WRs get a chance

The reality is, one or two WRs from our current list MAY develop

Who knows?

I could see the next year being 

6 WRS - One to develop on PS 

Cain, Hilton, 2019 Rookie (Hakim Butler PLEASE), Inman (or Pascal, or Best Dev WR)

And Chester Rogers to return Kicks and be 4/5th WR

We couldnt get any separation in the game against the Jags with our current WR team. The teams are staying in 7 and 8 man boxes against us because we have ONE WR that teams are afraid of.

This team needs a true game changing WR1...

I would HATE to find out that in week ONE, that we STILL had no WR1........

Hilton is a slot monster....... Not a WR1

When we get a second WR weapon that defenses fear, we will see more nickle and dime packages, and like MAGIC.... we will have a better running attack......

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Long way till off season, and till some of these "pending" WRs get a chance

The reality is, one or two WRs from our current list MAY develop

Who knows?

I could see the next year being 

6 WRS - One to develop on PS 

Cain, Hilton, 2019 Rookie (Hakim Butler PLEASE), Inman (or Pascal, or Best Dev WR)

And Chester Rogers to return Kicks and be 4/5th WR

We couldnt get any separation in the game against the Jags with our current WR team. The teams are staying in 7 and 8 man boxes against us because we have ONE WR that teams are afraid of.

Whew...

First of all the issue with the Jags game was a flawed gameplan and the refusal to even attempt to run the ball.

Second one game defines nothing about any group nor draft direction.

We have a WR1.  His name is TY Hilton.  Do we need another playmaker at receiver? Yes.  But let's no kid ourselves TY is much more than a dynamite slot receiver.  His numbers speak for themselves without an even average supporting cast. 

8 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Whew...

First of all the issue with the Jags game was a flawed gameplan and the refusal to even attempt to run the ball.

Second one game defines nothing about any group nor draft direction.

We have a WR1.  His name is TY Hilton.  Do we need another playmaker at receiver? Yes.  But let's no kid ourselves TY is much more than a dynamite slot receiver.  His numbers speak for themselves without an even average supporting cast. 

Pulease.......  unbunch your Colts underwear

I am not slamming Hilton in the least.......   He is an amazing talent, he will (SHOULD) be allpro

Most teams WR1, line up in the wide spot. Hilton is all over the place, but is in the slot more often then not it seems.

I believe that this team would be greatly assisted by another star WR. Someone who gets separation, runs great routes, and is reliable in catching the ball

Teams had trouble with Marvin AND Reggie Wayne....... TWO excellent recievers.

We dont have that PROVEN excellent 2nd reciever....

Thats the only point that I am making

No need to draft a WR high in the draft at all. Doesn't take great WR's to win games and or championships. Good WR's will get the job done. He will only touch the ball maybe 10 times a game anyways and they become way to expensive. Draft late or find in FA. If it wasn't for the drops at the beginning of the season what could anyone say ? This WR group will take us to the playoffs but it's our RB's that we should be concerned with. If we want to win in the playoffs we have to run our * off. With a consistent run game we are nearly unstoppable.  And Hilton is a # 1 and a future HOF WR. #Numbersdontlie  Cain will compliment him very well. Just like Marvin & Reggie

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Pulease.......  unbunch your Colts underwear

I am not slamming Hilton in the least.......   He is an amazing talent, he will (SHOULD) be allpro

Most teams WR1, line up in the wide spot. Hilton is all over the place, but is in the slot more often then not it seems.

I believe that this team would be greatly assisted by another star WR. Someone who gets separation, runs great routes, and is reliable in catching the ball

Teams had trouble with Marvin AND Reggie Wayne....... TWO excellent recievers.

We dont have that PROVEN excellent 2nd reciever....

Thats the only point that I am making

Lmao...

Lets see what number one receivers line up everywhere... Hmm...

Antonio Brown

Amari Cooper

Tyreek Hill

Michael Thomas

Davante Adams

Adam Thielen

Doug Baldwin

Jarvis Landry

Emmanuel Sanders

etc.

All considered number one receivers on their teams by their respective organizations. 

Yet you literally put 

35 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Lol.  So I guess I'll get my underwear out of a bunch when you actually have some type of substance.  Until then expect me to challenge an obvious error on your part.