Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is not the end of the world losing to the Jags!

horseshoecrabs

18 hours ago, IinD said:

My exact feelings I wrote in another thread just now.

No RB that can grind out a drive or two or another WR who can make a play or two kills us if TY isn't cutting it or the oline is having an off day.

Play calling today was to cute at times.

Disagree. The biggest failure vs the Jags was the offensive line. The blocking just wasn't there for the RBs or QB. The RBs were stuffed all game long. Not their fault. Luck was harassed all day long, partly because the Jags were just that good a creating pressure, but also because they were that good in coverage.

Lol!  I remember a college Coach who coached at several high profile colleges was interviewed about his new college.  It was a big time school but out of the way.  Anyway the question was is this town the end of world?  His reply was epic, no it’s not but you can see it from here.

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'm just gonna say this...

none of us here are Head Coaches for an NFL team. Let alone a Rookie Head Coach. He's gonna make mistakes. While I disliked the play calling today, I don't think 1 badly called game out of 12 is an indicator of anything but a rookie getting over confident in himself. 

Couldn't agree more. Its also easy to criticize the method when you have access to the end result. 

Everyone saying he shouldn't have gone for it would also say he should have declined the penalty on the made kick and taken the FG because points were at a premium, correct?

Whats the difference when you have access to the results? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Couldn't agree more. Its also easy to criticize the method when you have access to the end result. 

Everyone saying he shouldn't have gone for it would also say he should have declined the penalty on the made kick and taken the FG because points were at a premium, correct?

Whats the difference when you have access to the results? 

yep!. and had we lost 6-3, those same people would be complaining he didn't go for it on 4th and goal on the 2...

• Like 1

Our offensive floor is better than this and this is the exception to the norm, IMO.

The Texans do not have the defensive personnel in the secondary like the Jaguars but they do have the DL to disrupt our Ryan Kelly-less-and-Jack-Doyle-less-protection. So, we have to anticipate them to do similar things and be prepared for it. Have press coverage beaters and run packages designed to get tough yards.

• Like 1

To quote our old Coach Jim Mora "PLAY OFFS!  YOU TALKING ABOUT PLAY OFFS"?  

Really? How far did you realistically think a team that at the beginning of the season with the Franchise QB in doubt, All new coaching staff, Limited skilled players, were going to end up this season? We are still in the mode of baby steps. Yea in a perfect world with our lack of talent, we would just resume where we left off after, the American Conference championship, before Luck got hurt! News flash! We are damn lucky to be where we are considering all of the obstacles, we have had to endure. For all of you who think we should now tank the season. Shame on ya!

So far we have over achieved the grim look we had to start the season. We are going to have growing pains until we get caught up on, having the talent, that the rest of our competitors have! 

I for one as a Colts fan,  will embrace our progress. Hope the rest of you will too.

12 hours ago, Jaredfor3 said:

We took chances on 4th down and it backfired. Plus, we had two turnovers on offense. 

Not having Doyle out there and a case of the butterfingers hurt the colts at Jacksonville. Plus the Jags played great on D. 

This sums it up, A lot of bad things happened in one game, Fatigue, drops, stupid decisions and play calling

29 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

To quote our old Coach Jim Mora "PLAY OFFS!  YOU TALKING ABOUT PLAY OFFS"?  

Really? How far did you realistically think a team that at the beginning of the season with the Franchise QB in doubt, All new coaching staff, Limited skilled players, were going to end up this season? We are still in the mode of baby steps. Yea in a perfect world with our lack of talent, we would just resume where we left off after, the American Conference championship, before Luck got hurt! News flash! We are damn lucky to be where we are considering all of the obstacles, we have had to endure. For all of you who think we should now tank the season. Shame on ya!

So far we have over achieved the grim look we had to start the season. We are going to have growing pains until we get caught up on, having the talent, that the rest of our competitors have! 

I for one as a Colts fan,  will embrace our progress. Hope the rest of you will too.

I understand what you are trying to say, I just don't buy it.   I don't think we need to be content just because we are having abetter season than anticipated.   I have no issue calling a spade a spade.   Reich made some bad calls.   Choosing not to QB sneak and instead give to Ebron on a sweep was a dumb call.   Reich is an analytics guys, he should have known that.

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

I understand what you are trying to say, I just don't buy it.   I don't think we need to be content just because we are having abetter season than anticipated.   I have no issue calling a spade a spade.   Reich made some bad calls.   Choosing not to QB sneak and instead give to Ebron on a sweep was a dumb call.   Reich is an analytics guys, he should have known that.

Myles? No disrespect on my end but I have been a NFL  fan since the late 50's , And if it was as easy as you think they would have played every arm chaired QB opinion in retrospect since the dawn of football. lol. It is easy to second guess every coaches move  after the game is over. but buddy,  if you think that you have that much of an incite over the coaches in the NFL then buddy you missed your life's calling. Please enter  the armchair QB challenge and  an claim you spot at the top of the heap! No disrespect son! 

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Myles? No disrespect on my end but I have been a NFL  fan since the late 50's , And if it was as easy as you think they would have played every arm chaired QB opinion in retrospect since the dawn of football. lol. It is easy to second guess every coaches move  after the game is over. but buddy,  if you think that you have that much of an incite over the coaches in the NFL then buddy you missed your life's calling. Please enter  the armchair QB challenge and  an claim you spot at the top of the heap! No disrespect son! 

I certainly know that a QB sneak on 4th and inches is the call to make.  Not a TE running a sweep.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I certainly know that a QB sneak on 4th and inches is the call to make.  Not a TE running a sweep.

Yeah, I don't have any problem with any of the 4th down decisions, but I didn't like the play calling. This is two games in a row where it feels like Reich can't find a rhythm or push the right buttons in critical situations. 

I don't know that someone else would have done better, but I am not and never have been a fan of the head coach being the primary play caller. But I'll take the bad with the good, because when he's on, Reich looks like one of the best play callers in the league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Our offensive floor is better than this and this is the exception to the norm, IMO.

The Texans do not have the defensive personnel in the secondary like the Jaguars but they do have the DL to disrupt our Ryan Kelly-less-and-Jack-Doyle-less-protection. So, we have to anticipate them to do similar things and be prepared for it. Have press coverage beaters and run packages designed to get tough yards.

The importance of this game to me is...… We will see what type of team we really have, what kind of coaching staff we have. 

Yes we played terrible on offense for a variety of reasons. I for one think we are missing Kelly and Doyle's blocking. We need to learn from Sunday's  performance, correct it and come out and play Hard. Correct the obvious mistakes, get better and smarter. 

Or they can come out and stink up the place. We are supposed to be building a team with "BALLS". no more finesse. We will know come this Sunday night

It is easy to second guess play calling  after the fact, but the fact remains that after the fact, maybe they believed that 3 points would not have cut it for the duration of the game  being so close in the red zone that point in time?  If we would have scored a TD would we have been having this discussion right now?   

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

It is easy to second guess play calling  after the fact, but the fact remains that after the fact, maybe they believed that 3 points would not have cut it for the duration of the game  being so close in the red zone that point in time?  If we would have scored a TD would we have been having this discussion right now?   

Going for it on 4th down is OK with me.  It's his play that is discussion worthy.

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Going for it on 4th down is OK with me.  It's his play that is discussion worthy.

Just now, Four2itus said:

Has he missed any this year?

of course im not saying it was a sure thing. So you think it's a good idea to go for it every 4th and 1 leaving points on the board in a highly contested game at the highest skill level?

• Like 1

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

of course im not saying it was a sure thing. So you think it's a good idea to go for it every 4th and 1 leaving points on the board in a highly contested game at the highest skill level?

No. And I know you did say "Could". But hind site is always a thing on internet boards. If he had gone for 2 FG's and one had missed, there would be just as much hind site about not being aggressive enough to get a win. 

12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

No. And I know you did say "Could". But hind site is always a thing on internet boards. If he had gone for 2 FG's and one had missed, there would be just as much hind site about not being aggressive enough to get a win. 

There is always hind site, but there is also Football fundamentals, i know the game has changed a lot and is always evolving, but i still believe taking the points that are available is still a fundamental...especially in the NFL, but as someone else posted im hoping Frank is just taking his shots now in year 1 to work out the kinks. Next year when it counts he should be making smarter football decisions.

9 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

There is always hind site, but there is also Football fundamentals, i know the game has changed a lot and is always evolving, but i still believe taking the points that are available is still a fundamental...especially in the NFL, but as someone else posted im hoping Frank is just taking his shots now in year 1 to work out the kinks. Next year when it counts he should be making smarter football decisions.

And hopefully he has better personnel so that when he makes a wrong decision it still works. Wait, that would make it a right decision, wouldn't it? 

2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

And hopefully he has better personnel so that when he makes a wrong decision it still works. Wait, that would make it a right decision, wouldn't it? 

IMO no it would not, it would label Frank as a coach who likes to "gamble", sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. 

• Like 1

I'm not discouraged.  This wasn't supposed to be the Colts' year anyway.  I think we fans got high watching them beat lesser teams and most of those at home.  It's tough to win on the road in the NFL, especially if your team is full of holes.  Ours got exposed Sunday.  I believe Ballard will get to work fixing some of them in the offseason.  This one stings, but they'll be fine down the road.

• Like 1