Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Cowboys

Myles

2 hours ago, Myles said:

While I like that you are thinking outside the box, I don't like the idea of 3 bye weeks.  Not sure what the answer is though.  I am against adding more games to a a 16 games schedule too.  I don't have a good solution to offer.

I don't really have a "strong" dislike for Thursday night games, although I wouldn't mind if the Colts didn't play play any of them. 

Personally, I would prefer that the NFL went back to only Sunday day games and the Monday nights game.   I don't care for the over-saturation of the NFL.   But that is just a personal preference (a "me" problem).   I liked the feeling of excitement of the Sunday being NFL time.    

Unrelated side-note.    Before I used the word over-saturation, I googled it to check on if it was hyphenated or not.   Went to OxfordDictionary.com.  and it gave me one of these wonderful definitions.   

noun

The property or condition of being oversaturated.

What if the league went to Tuesday Night games and Friday night games instead of Thursday?

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I had no problem with the Cowboys giving up a first for Cooper. I didn't want the Colts to -- or think the Colts would -- give up a first for Cooper.

I thought the trade made a ton of sense for the Cowboys given their obvious need and Coopers talent but the negative reactions seemed to really heat up when the Eagles gave a 3rd round pick for Tate. Im not certain how the two trades correlate (other than 2 WRs) but that trade apparently made Dallas look dumb. Fairly certain the Cowboys would make that trade again today regardless what anyone else thinks.

9 minutes ago, runthepost said:

What if the league went to Tuesday Night games and Friday night games instead of Thursday?

No way the league would play on Friday.  At the beginning of the season all the high schools play on Friday night.  

NFL doesn't want to compete with high school football or college football.  So they won't play on the days that those are typically played.  (Friday or Saturday)

Also I think more people go out on Friday nights than on Sundays night.

I personally would like to see the Thursday night game go with the exception of Thanksgiving football (due to tradition).  But the NFL would never consider regularly hosting games on Friday or Saturday.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Unrelated side-note.    Before I used the word over-saturation, I googled it to check on if it was hyphenated or not.   Went to OxfordDictionary.com.  and it gave me one of these wonderful definitions.   

noun

The property or condition of being oversaturated.

"The definition of a word is the way in which the word is defined."

Thanks Oxford...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I thought the trade made a ton of sense for the Cowboys given their obvious need and Coopers talent but the negative reactions seemed to really heat up when the Eagles gave a 3rd round pick for Tate. Im not certain how the two trades correlate (other than 2 WRs) but that trade apparently made Dallas look dumb. Fairly certain the Cowboys would make that trade again today regardless what anyone else thinks.

Yeah, two different players entirely. Tate is 30 and a free agent after this season. Cooper is 24 and still under contract for another year. They also have different player profiles and traits.

I wouldn't make that comparison.

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

"The definition of a word is the way in which the word is defined."

Thanks Oxford...

4xK45LX.gif

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think they should add games, either. Curious, what's the object to three byes?

I'm not really certain.   I think it is just that during the Colts bye week, something is off in my football universe.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I thought giving a 1st round pick for Cooper was OK.   With a mid 1st round draft pick, you hope you can get a Cooper equivalent talent, but it is still a bit of a crap shoot.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm not really certain.   I think it is just that during the Colts bye week, something is off in my football universe.  

I feel the same way. I loathe Colts bye weeks also, even though I think they're good for the team. Usually.

I didn't mention this, but my thinking is you cut the preseason down to 2 games, so the season starts two weeks sooner. Kind of makes up for the extra byes.

But my major argument in favor is player wellness and safety, and that quality of play would increase as well. It would also make it easier for fans to watch and attend more games, I think.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I feel the same way. I loathe Colts bye weeks also, even though I think they're good for the team. Usually.

I didn't mention this, but my thinking is you cut the preseason down to 2 games, so the season starts two weeks sooner. Kind of makes up for the extra byes.

But my major argument in favor is player wellness and safety, and that quality of play would increase as well. It would also make it easier for fans to watch and attend more games, I think.

I guess another benefit of 2 extra bye weeks would be that the NFL could nearly always be sure to match up 2 teams coming off byes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Agreed. I think our scheme has been too simplistic to be effective against good offenses, and I think our DBs in particular make too many mistakes in coverage, pre- and post-snap.

But when everyone is humming, this defensive scheme can work. It has to be played correctly, and the game plan needs to be sound.

And...I think by "humming" you must also mean not only better players but additional coverage elements (ie defending a receiver before he catches the ball) that are already in the playbook that we simply won't run often enough with the current personnel.

Just now, ztboiler said:

And...I think by "humming" you must also mean not only better players but additional coverage elements (ie defending a receiver before he catches the ball) that are already in the playbook that we simply won't run often enough with the current personnel.

By "everyone" I meant the coaches as well. So the play calling and in game adjustments need to be on point.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

By "everyone" I meant the coaches as well. So the play calling and in game adjustments need to be on point.

Color me skeptical but optimistic that we’ll evolve beyond what we did during the Dungy years...because initially it looks a lot like a reboot.

The Cowboys pre-Richard were noticeably different in their coverage scheme than they are this year with the similar personnel on the back end.  That suggests to me that they were smart enough to bring in some new ideas.

I can't believe so many so called Colts fans are on our forum talking about they can see how LVE can be seen as above Leonard as Defensive Rookie of the Year right now.  That's ridiculous.  Leonard's stats are much better than LVE's.  It's almost like you guys are advocating that LVE should get the award and justifying it.  It would be a complete robbery.  LVE only leads in passes defended (9 to 4) and 1 more interception (2 to 1). 

Leonard has him beat in tackles 114 to 102, sacks (6 to 0), Tackles for loss, forced fumbles (4 to 0), fumble recoveries (2 to 0).  And here's the kicker: Leonard has missed a game and these stats include last night's game for LVE and Leonard still has to play this Sunday to pad his stats even more.  Leonard leads all rookies in tackles, forced fumbles, tied for the lead in recoveries, and is 2nd in sacks. 

So as of "right now", the only way LVE gets the DROY award is through politics and politics alone.  He doesn't deserve the DROY over Leonard.  Nor does Chubb.  They've got a lot of work to do over the next 5 weeks to overtake the Maniac.  Because as of "right now" he's out front.  And only prime time nonsense and politics can take it from him.  And I'm stunned that y'all seem ok with that.

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I can't believe so many so called Colts fans are on our forum talking about they can see how LVE can be seen as above Leonard as Defensive Rookie of the Year right now.  That's ridiculous.  Leonard's stats are much better than LVE's.  It's almost like you guys are advocating that LVE should get the award and justifying it.  It would be a complete robbery.  LVE only leads in passes defended (9 to 4) and 1 more interception (2 to 1). 

Leonard has him beat in tackles 114 to 102, sacks (6 to 0), Tackles for loss, forced fumbles (4 to 0), fumble recoveries (2 to 0).  And here's the kicker: Leonard has missed a game and these stats include last night's game for LVE and Leonard still has to play this Sunday to pad his stats even more.  Leonard leads all rookies in tackles, forced fumbles, tied for the lead in recoveries, and is 2nd in sacks. 

So as of "right now", the only way LVE gets the DROY award is through politics and politics alone.  He doesn't deserve the DROY over Leonard.  Nor does Chubb.  They've got a lot of work to do over the next 5 weeks to overtake the Maniac.  Because as of "right now" he's out front.  And only prime time nonsense and politics can take it from him.  And I'm stunned that y'all seem ok with that.

Who is LVE?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

Color me skeptical but optimistic that we’ll evolve beyond what we did during the Dungy years...because initially it looks a lot like a reboot.

The Cowboys pre-Richard were noticeably different in their coverage scheme than they are this year with the similar personnel on the back end.  That suggests to me that they were smart enough to bring in some new ideas.

I have to give credit (I am choking doing this) to the Cowboys draft room for staying pat and drafting LVE instead of reaching for a WR in round 1. If the Cowboys' game yesterday showed anything, you can cover up mediocre QB play with a very good D but you cannot cover up a mediocre D with a very good QB. The QB has to be elite on a weekly basis to be able to do that and only a few of them are elite, IMO. If not for that Cowboys' D, their record would be terrible and not 7-5.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

As great as Leonard has been and, as you suggest, the numbers support it, most football people are going to discount the record breaking tackle numbers a great deal.  Our scheme is set up to produce huge tackle stats from his role...and many of those tackles are low impact stat stuffers.

LVE is flat out performing and having a big impact on a legit defense.  That matters.  It’s not politics.  

If Leonard continues to perform with impact plays the way he has, the Colts make the playoffs, and the Colts D plays a fair role in the winning, then it will be a close race...as it should be.

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

2 hours ago, ztboiler said:

As great as Leonard has been and, as you suggest, the numbers support it, most football people are going to discount the record breaking tackle numbers a great deal.  Our scheme is set up to produce huge tackle stats from his role...and many of those tackles are low impact stat stuffers.

LVE is flat out performing and having a big impact on a legit defense.  That matters.  It’s not politics.  

If Leonard continues to perform with impact plays the way he has, the Colts make the playoffs, and the Colts D plays a fair role in the winning, then it will be a close race...as it should be.

Plus LVE has only started 8 games this year as he started the season playing behind Sean Lee. This is going to come down to the wire. I think LVE's performance this Thursday was better than Darius Leonard's 19 tackle performance against the Redskins.

Whether Darius Leonard gets the award or not, I'm just glad we have a building block for the future. I think he still leads as of now, but he's going to have to keep up the production the rest of the year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I agree totally the big thing here is sacks and forced fumbles seeing as LVE has a big donut in both stats! One is killing QBs the other isnt even touching them. As you mentioned tho his stats in coverage are hardly far and ahead better than Leonard's. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Plus LVE has only started 8 games this year as he started the season playing behind Sean Lee. This is going to come down to the wire. I think LVE's performance this Thursday was better than Darius Leonard's 19 tackle performance against the Redskins.

Whether Darius Leonard gets the award or not, I'm just glad we have a building block for the future. I think he still leads as of now, but he's going to have to keep up the production the rest of the year.

Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not saying LVE is a bum.  He’s balling too but look at his supporting cast.  He’s got a MLB in Jaylon Smith who was a top 10 pick (considered one of the best MLB prospects in a while). He’s currently tied for 11th in the league in tackles.  And they got a game wrecker in Demarcus Lawrence who can create immediate pressure thus making his job easier in coverage.  So I’m sure his defense is better. Leonard doesn’t have that kind of help.  He’s LEADING our defense.

And what kind of math or logic are you using where LVE’s stat line of 6 solo tackles, 4 assists, & half a tackle for loss from last night is better than Maniac’s stat line of 15 solo tackles, 4 assists, 1 sack, 1 & a half tackles for loss, 1 pass defenses, & 1 QB hit vs the Skins???  :facepalm:  Like I said, politics...  Did you see the way Dallas’ D-Line was harassing Brees?  That made LVE’s job easy & his numbers still weren’t even half as good as Maniac’s.

Guys want to use “our system” as if it’s propping up the Maniac...  As if LVE is playing like Samurai Mike Singletary or Ray Lewis...  So pull up another LB from our Dungy cover 2 days that led the league in tackles & put up Leonard’s all around numbers?  LVE is playing great. The Maniac is playing GREATER.  The numbers don’t lie.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 2:36 PM, chad72 said:

It will be flexed to the typical 4:25 pm ET game protected by FOX that protects NFC games, especially Cowboys games. 

Has this been confirmed?  Bringing my 12 yr old who has school the next day & a 3 hr drive once out of traffic.  

11 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Bravo, welcome to the small market in the NFL.  It’s a no brainer to anyone who watches & listens to STATS because 6 sacks alone is in comparison to Chubb let alone 100+ tackles, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries & any other nonsense stat you wanna throw in.   Bottom line is DL is not only balling but is in contention for DPOY, he’s a MANIAC.  Don’t get me wrong the other guy is awesome to watch but it’s not even close.  I hope this game is flexed so the National public can see for their own eyes who the real DROY is and possibly DPOY!  This game is huge on so many levels & I got 100 level tickets!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not saying LVE is a bum.  He’s balling too but look at his supporting cast.  He’s got a MLB in Jaylon Smith who was a top 10 pick (considered one of the best MLB prospects in a while). He’s currently tied for 11th in the league in tackles.  And they got a game wrecker in Demarcus Lawrence who can create immediate pressure thus making his job easier in coverage.  So I’m sure his defense is better. Leonard doesn’t have that kind of help.  He’s LEADING our defense.

And what kind of math or logic are you using where LVE’s stat line of 6 solo tackles, 4 assists, & half a tackle for loss from last night is better than Maniac’s stat line of 15 solo tackles, 4 assists, 1 sack, 1 & a half tackles for loss, 1 pass defenses, & 1 QB hit vs the Skins???  :facepalm:  Like I said, politics...  Did you see the way Dallas’ D-Line was harassing Brees?  That made LVE’s job easy & his numbers still weren’t even half as good as Maniac’s.

Guys want to use “our system” as if it’s propping up the Maniac...  As if LVE is playing like Samurai Mike Singletary or Ray Lewis...  So pull up another LB from our Dungy cover 2 days that led the league in tackles & put up Leonard’s all around numbers?  LVE is playing great. The Maniac is playing GREATER.  The numbers don’t lie.

Numbers do lie when you realize Darius Leonard has played more defensive snaps than LVE even including Thursday. I just saw more impact plays in Thursday's game from LVE in his 10 tackles and defense on Kamara.

Not taking anything away from Darius Leonard and never used our system to downplay his performance. He's been historic for us. I just don't agree with the people who think this DROY race has been decided already. 

Darius Leonard leads by a hair now. His performance Sunday against Cody Kessler will be important as LVE just did it against one of the best QB's to ever live. 

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Funny, I can't seem to find yours. I wonder why.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Funny, I can't seem to find yours. I wonder why. Oddly, I find I was the only fan to predict a Saints win, Right? 

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Just as YOU predictedhaha

Congratulations.  You went out on a limb that nobody else was willing to.

Then that limb broke, you fell to the ground, and we're all still up in the treehouse laughing at you.

You want us to let down the rope-ladder?  You have to dance like a chicken and say "My name is King Diaper"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Congratulations.  You went out on a limb that nobody else was willing to.

Then that limb broke, you fell to the ground, and we're all still up in the treehouse laughing at you.

You want us to let down the rope-ladder?  You have to dance like a chicken and say "My name is King Diaper"

Going out on a limb predicting a NO victory over Dallas??????? You are so desperate it is tragic.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Going out on a limb predicting a NO victory over Dallas??????? You are so desperate it is tragic.

Nice call!!!

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

The Colts' game of the year is Dec. 9 at Houston...

The Colts game of the year is every game they play from here to seasons end

13 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

"Saints gonna come out strong and Cowboys gonna play flubber ball" (whatever that means)

BB3d.gif

But at least you made a prediction, right?

Correct. Predictions are made on every game every played for every sport in the world unless one has zero confidence in themselves and are afraid of making the call.

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

Correct. Predictions are made on every game every played for every sport in the world unless one has zero confidence in themselves and are afraid of making the call.

Alright.  Just do us all a favor.

DON'T predict that the Colts are going to come out strong and win big because the Jags are going to play "flubber ball"...

Great, thanks!

• Like 1