Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilson

hoosierhawk

1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

Was at the game yesterday. Wilson looked good from the stands but haven't seen an evaluation or another opinion.

I thought the defense really looked aggressive yesterday overall.  I really didn't watch much of Quincy but he must've been doing well as their passing game was shut down pretty well.  They held Mariota and Gabby to 203 total passing yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 5 total sacks, 87 yards rushing 0 TDs on the ground. 

I really would like to see them play aggressive going forward vs soft zone coverage and no blitzing, 0 creativity.  They still need a lot of talent on the D side of the ball so Eberflus definitely needs to get creative on a per game basis like he did yesterday.  They have a lot of young talent and I know they want to teach them the basics and simplify, but in order for this defense to be successful with the young talent they have, they do have to get somewhat creative.  

Waited all day for one of these mouths to come out and complement how well he played.

Not you.

Quincy got more aggressive and confident as the game went on. He played very physically and tackled very well. He must have matched up well to the guys across from him.

A good confidence builder. When EB can trust his corners in some one on ones he can and will be more aggressive. It was a good day.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I can imagine a day when Wilson and Collins, both 6'1" and 200+ lbs playing on the outside with some press/zone action going on with Moore and Hairston manning the slot.....one can dream.

I'm going to guess that your 99.9% correct in that, that's EXACTLY what Ballard and 'Flus are shooting for. I loved how much more man coverage they ran with Quincy, and as you said, if they can get Collins going and be able to mix those coverages in more frequently, things may come together MUCH quicker for this defense than people thought.

As was noted in the "Hooker" thread by Superman, when they can run more Cover 1/3 looks and let Hooker sit back and play off the QB - a la the way Seattle did with their defense and Earl Thomas - the defense may just be as fun to watch as the offense. Things are trending extremely well for the Colts right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope that everyone is RIGHT and he turns out to be the player we all thought he would

I would like Wilson to put togther 4-5 good and healthy games in a row

So far, I havent seen it

He seems to have a really good game, then a meh game...... then is hurt

Consistency is what I would like

• Like 1

This is all speculation but I believe the reports were saying immaturity had a lot to do with last year.  We need to remember he is basically a kid and new to the work force. Some players will struggle more with adapting to what it takes to be a pro and some won’t make it at all.  I deal with this a lot when I hire younger people.  Most have the ability and skill to succeed in my field but struggle with personal problem that affect their work(maturity and ability to focus being the top two).  Some of these kids come in to the workforce ready to go, some need extra coaching and patience to get them where I need them and some don’t ever figure it out. Of the ones I let go I would say half go onto other employers in my field and eventually figure it out and the other half change careers bc they just aren’t cut out for it.  It really is the same in pro sports.  I hope Wilson does figure it out and becomes a steady player...I’m not expecting star potential but awesome if he does. 

3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Just don't get cocky. It was one good play. 

He needs to play waaaaay more consistently.

Cockyness/confidence goes hand in hand for a corner in the NFL. They HAVE to believe they will make the play or they don't. All the best corners have that level of confidence about them PLUS the ability to forget the bad plays - and in this pass happy league where the rules are skewed against them, they need to learn to forget.

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Cockyness/confidence goes hand in hand for a corner in the NFL. They HAVE to believe they will make the play or they don't. All the best corners have that level of confidence about them PLUS the ability to forget the bad plays - and in this pass happy league where the rules are skewed against them, they need to learn to forget.

I ain't gon lie I wouldn't mind seeing Wilson and Jalen Collins out there like you were saying

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

@krunk it's gonna happen sooner than you think! Hairston can return to the slot in dime and of course Moore stays in the slot in nickel and we can switch back and forth between cover 2/3 with Wilson/Collins playing some press man on the outside.

Collins may be the under the radar signing that makes the D click.....

What is done with Pierre?

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I get it, but Jalen Ramsey is a perfect example of a CB being way too cocky. Dude is good (still gets burnt though) but talks entirely too much. 

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

@krunk it's gonna happen sooner than you think! Hairston can return to the slot in dime and of course Moore stays in the slot in nickel and we can switch back and forth between cover 2/3 with Wilson/Collins playing some press man on the outside.

Collins may be the under the radar signing that makes the D click.....

I hope there are two Collinses patrolling the secondary next season. And another big athletic S as well. 

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Just don't get cocky. It was one good play. 

He needs to play waaaaay more consistently.

Has to be someone to P** on the parade. Try to compliment someone for a good game but someone who must have been critical of him in the past can stand for it to happen.

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope that everyone is RIGHT and he turns out to be the player we all thought he would

I would like Wilson to put togther 4-5 good and healthy games in a row

So far, I havent seen it

He seems to have a really good game, then a meh game...... then is hurt

Consistency is what I would like

Yeah...I don't think peopel should overreact to one underthrown ball. But it was a great play. For some reason, TEN thought that Jonnu Smith was going to beat Wilson on a wheel route. And Wilson made them pay. Such a boneheaded decision on Mariota...in a game full of them.

But a big part was that Mariota was shell-shocked yesterday and not able to go through his reads. The DL was in his face all game. And the QBs were forced throw to TEs all game...instead of the long-developing routes for WRs (like Davis). I don't even recall them throwing much to the sidelines after that INT...the defense shut it down. Kudos the EB and the defense overall for that...exactly what I wanted to see with this team. 

Q is obviously more comfortable in man coverage...so hopefully they can continue to use him that. But he is going to have to be able to play zone if they insistt on using it. On the Pruitt catch at the end...you can see Wilson was supposed to hand off to Walker and cover the deep part of that zone...and is visibly frustrated with himself. Not that it mattered at that point cause the game was over (though it would have been nice to keep them out of the end zone)...but it is an exampe of him still learning how to play zone coverage...and going threw the growing pains.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Still more ball to be played, but I think if we get in the playoffs we can make some noise if we keep being sharp like we have.

We may sneak in the backdoor, but what we are doing right now is no accident.

The offense is hitting it's stride as they all have a firm grasp of it AND the coaching staff knows what the players can and cannot do.

The defense is young and literally learning on the fly - not only the scheme, thier teammates AND the NFL. The coaching staff is doing a good job of putting players into a position of success as well.

So while we are trending up in virtually every aspect, a lot of the teams are not. Young teams can roll on pure emotion and swag. We've got that by the bushels!!!!!

Plus, the ultimate key component.....we have a healthy Andrew Luck! Those young guys know if they can make just one big play that Luck can win it. Huge confidence booster there!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

We may sneak in the backdoor, but what we are doing right now is no accident.

The offense is hitting it's stride as they all have a firm grasp of it AND the coaching staff knows what the players can and cannot do.

The defense is young and literally learning on the fly - not only the scheme, thier teammates AND the NFL. The coaching staff is doing a good job of putting players into a position of success as well.

So while we are trending up in virtually every aspect, a lot of the teams are not. Young teams can roll on pure emotion and swag. We've got that by the bushels!!!!!

Plus, the ultimate key component.....we have a healthy Andrew Luck! Those young guys know if they can make just one big play that Luck can win it. Huge confidence booster there!

I have a lot of confidence mainly because we are playing clean ball.  Very sharp execution, low penalties, great schemes.   That's the type of stuff that wins ball games my friend!  Even at the points when we were winning under Pagano we were never sharp as you are seeing this team play.  We still had moments of sloppiness and we were never prepared well.  This 2018 team is different.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

I have a lot of confidence mainly because we are playing clean ball.  Very sharp execution, low penalties, great schemes.   That's the type of stuff that wins ball games my friend!  Even at the points when we were winning under Pagano we were never sharp as you are seeing this team play.  We still had moments of sloppiness and we were never prepared well.  This 2018 team is different.

Feels more like a Tom Moore/Peyton Manning offense and a disciplined, Tony Dungy team. 

I never liked Pagano as a coach....sloppy, poor time management, and unprepared.....

• Like 1

28 responses and no one has yet mention that Wilson graded out as our 4th best player overall.

An exceptionally good score of 86.2.  

His game was more than just one good play.   It was an entire game of good plays.   Even the Eberflus tweet in this thread says the coaches are seeing improvement in practice.   

Hopefully more good games in Wilson’s future....

• Like 1

A truly improved Wilson paired with Moore, Hairston and Desir makes a big difference. Better play in the secondary is critical for a Colts second half run. On the other hand, the Collins hype is just that until he shows he can still play. If he can stay clean and get in football shape, and show he still has the skills, then its a solid signing. But until then, he's just a guy on the practice squad. 

• Like 1