Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dear Darius Leonard:

RollerColt

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's because he missed a game, which lowers his PFF rank. If he played every game, he'd be the top guy, no question. His stats show he is the best rookie LBer.

Missing a game doesn’t lower his overall grade. They made it clear that his grade is so low because his poor pass defense. Idk about this week but they claimed he was giving up like 95% completion percentage and more receiving yards than any defender in the nfl. I’m not saying they are right or wrong, but that is their reasoning. 

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Missing a game doesn’t lower his overall grade. They made it clear that his grade is so low because his poor pass defense. Idk about this week but they claimed he was giving up like 95% completion percentage and more receiving yards than any defender in the nfl. I’m not saying they are right or wrong, but that is their reasoning. 

They are right, he's indeed given up the most yards amongst LB's, and he's giving up 93% completion pct. That's anarea to improve, however at is position, giving up 80% is a norm, because most checkdown, short shallow passes are tied to LB's who's job is to make the tackle after the catch. The best coverage LB's have 80% completion rate, and an INT or two, so statistically, Leonard is not far behind. But watching is game tape, this is definitely an area to improve, despite he's already more than OK. (IMO, he is alredy better in coverage, than any LB we had since probably Jerell Freeman, who was a very good cover LB.)

All in all, he is #10 amongst LB's so far, 3-4, 4-3 LB's, rookies and veterans combined. And there's only one rookie, Wan der Esch is ahead of him, but by only a tiny-tiny margin. I'd rather say Leonard and Van der Esch are tied firsts, because the difference is really minor, only 0.1. This is fair IMO, Van der Esch also has a fantastic rookie season. He playes in place of the injured Sean Lee, and the Cowboys defense hasn't missed a beat. Which tells a lot, because we know how special Lee is, the Dallas defense is always a different unit with and without Lee. Except this year, since Esch arrived there.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, #12. said:

Reminded me of the strip sacks Mathis would get to close out games.  The D didn't play well, but you only needed one play.

Exactly!!  I remember a few games where it was late in the game and we would be up by maybe a fg and the other team would be driving down the field and would have the ball at the 50yard line and I   would be like come on freeney or come on Mathis and sure enough one of them would get a strip sack. I think it happened in the game we came back against the Texans by a huge margin. Anyways , Leonard is a stud.  It’s funny if a huge play happens on defense you can almost bet that he had a hand in it. I haven’t been this excited for a young colt on defense since bob sanders.  I’m really glad we stole him I mean drafted him. 

He had 9 total tackles yesterday.    I think that keeps him in the tackles lead.   I really want him to finish the season as the tackles leader.   I think that would solidify him as defensive rookie of the year.    Maybe put him in contention for defensive player of the year, but probably not.  

On 10/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

That's because he missed a game, which lowers his PFF rank. If he played every game, he'd be the top guy, no question. His stats show he is the best rookie LBer.

Does missing a game lower rank? Where does it say that? 

If that was the case, then Braden Smith’s grade would probably be lower.

14 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

I think PFFs ranking has to do with his coverage. Last I saw, he had allowed 35 out of 36 passes to be caught.

Yeah...Leonard isn’t great at pass coverage...yet. He makes the tackle...which is great...but as he continues to develop he will get more adept at defending passes and eventually picking them off. Which is actually a fun thought. 

Unfortunately, Walker is pretty bad in pass coverage and you have games like yesterday. Would like to see the Colts explore more options at MIKE. Need a guy that can do it all...so Leonard can do his thing at WILL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Does missing a game lower rank? Where does it say that? 

If that was the case, then Braden Smith’s grade would probably be lower.

I don't know 100%, but I always notice when players miss a game or two, or don't play the full season at end of year ranks, their grade is lower than other guys who played 16 games, but were worst statistically than them. I honestly don't care what PFF says in this instance. We all know Leonard is a gamechanger and he does it every week. 

Braden didn't miss games due to injury or anything, he just didn't play his first few because Slauson was starting over him. Individually, he should have high grades per game, yearly I can't explain, just like I can't Leonard being lower unless it's pass coverage as said above. It really hasn't made that much of a difference in his case though as he's elite at everything else.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

They are right, he's indeed given up the most yards amongst LB's, and he's giving up 93% completion pct. That's anarea to improve, however at is position, giving up 80% is a norm, because most checkdown, short shallow passes are tied to LB's who's job is to make the tackle after the catch. The best coverage LB's have 80% completion rate, and an INT or two, so statistically, Leonard is not far behind. But watching is game tape, this is definitely an area to improve, despite he's already more than OK. (IMO, he is alredy better in coverage, than any LB we had since probably Jerell Freeman, who was a very good cover LB.)

All in all, he is #10 amongst LB's so far, 3-4, 4-3 LB's, rookies and veterans combined. And there's only one rookie, Wan der Esch is ahead of him, but by only a tiny-tiny margin. I'd rather say Leonard and Van der Esch are tied firsts, because the difference is really minor, only 0.1. This is fair IMO, Van der Esch also has a fantastic rookie season. He playes in place of the injured Sean Lee, and the Cowboys defense hasn't missed a beat. Which tells a lot, because we know how special Lee is, the Dallas defense is always a different unit with and without Lee. Except this year, since Esch arrived there.

Yep...it’s actually a pretty fair view on Leonard. His pass coverage is definitely an area for improvement...not just anticipating better, but also knowing where to be.

It’s sort of a give and take. We all love the tackle totals, but the completions do contribute to that. He starts turning some of completions into more PDs...and a few of those PDS become game-changing INTs.

Right now, I think it’s he and LVE chasing Derwin James for DROY. But there’s plenty of season left...and I think team outcomes could play a role. 

15 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...Leonard isn’t great at pass coverage...yet. He makes the tackle...which is great...but as he continues to develop he will get more adept at defending passes and eventually picking them off. Which is actually a fun thought. 

Unfortunately, Walker is pretty bad in pass coverage and you have games like yesterday. Would like to see the Colts explore more options at MIKE. Need a guy that can do it all...so Leonard can do his thing at WILL.

I'm hopeful that Leonard will get better in pass coverage. I think that usually takes time to develop. You see it in the Film Room then see it on the field and you become familiar with opponent's pass routes.

I wasn't sold on Walker before we got him so he has met my level of expectation already. I agree with you that we need a MIKE that can do it all. Finding one isn't easy tho...

16 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

I'm hopeful that Leonard will get better in pass coverage. I think that usually takes time to develop. You see it in the Film Room then see it on the field and you become familiar with opponent's pass routes.

I wasn't sold on Walker before we got him so he has met my level of expectation already. I agree with you that we need a MIKE that can do it all. Finding one isn't easy tho...

I want what something similar to what DAL has at LB (where Eberflus coached before he came here). They have had Sean Lee for years...in a similar role to Leonard. But now he is getting older...so they have added Jaylon Smith and LVE in the last couple of years to be their LB duo of the future. 

Leonard is one of a beastly pairing like that...just need to find a MIKE somehow. I have never really had high expectations for Walker either. He is fine as depth...but he is just not a very good LB in this scheme...and definitely not good enough at pass coverage (which should be a requisite for playing MIKE in this defense).

• Like 1