Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Turay

RockThatBlue

I've been on the Turay bandwagon all season. I think he has outperformed expectations so far. The natural burst and bend he has is excellent and he's finally starting to string some counter moves together. Another year of strength training and refining his technique and he could be a very very good edge rusher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since game 1 I've said he reminds me of a young Robert Mathis. He is a bit smaller/lean but his motor never stops and he is very quick off the edge. If he can develop a counter move to his speed edge rush (spin or slap/dip inside) he could be a great pass rusher. I'm very pleased with him....so far our draft imo has been a home run....hopefully they all keep working out.

• Like 1

Turay was the most intriguing pick to me...cause I am a sucker for athletic DEs.

Basham was a bust...but Turay seemed like a much more natural pass rusher to me. And the speed definitely shows up in-game.

Now it's all about continuing to develop and refine his counter moves...like that spin move he used. I think that will be the difference between 5-6 sacks and 10+ for him. It's hard to consistently beat good Ts with just speed.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Turay was the most intriguing pick to me...cause I am a sucker for athletic DEs.

Basham was a bust...but Turay seemed like a much more natural pass rusher to me. And the speed definitely shows up in-game.

Now it's all about continuing to develop and refine his counter moves...like that spin move he used. I think that will be the difference between 5-6 sacks and 10+ for him. It's hard to consistently beat good Ts with just speed.

Basham didn't turn into what I thought he would, but I sort of feel like he'd be doing more than what Muhammad is doing right now.   Too late now!

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Basham didn't turn into what I thought he would, but I sort of feel like he'd be doing more than what Muhammad is doing right now.   Too late now!

That's probably true. Even though he was disappointing...I was still surprised that Ballard cut bait with him so soon. I am guessing he just didn't have a fit.

This DL needs a DT and a DE. Hopefully this upcoming draft will yield at least one of those.

Just now, shastamasta said:

That's probably true. Even though he was disappointing...I was still surprised that Ballard cut bait with him so soon. I am guessing he just didn't have a fit.

This DL needs a DT and a DE. Hopefully this upcoming draft will yield at least one of those.

Basham at least used to penetrate in to the backfield.  He just never had a pass rush plan or strategy.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Since game 1 I've said he reminds me of a young Robert Mathis. He is a bit smaller/lean but his motor never stops and he is very quick off the edge. If he can develop a counter move to his speed edge rush (spin or slap/dip inside) he could be a great pass rusher. I'm very pleased with him....so far our draft imo has been a home run....hopefully they all keep working out.

You might be forgetting how small Mathis was...Stand he and Mathis next to each other...and there aren’t many similarities physically...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Now if we could just pick up another Turay in the 2019 draft we'll be looking pretty good.

Remember that’s there’s still a chance the Colts pick Top 5-10 in 2019. Everyone is talking about Bosa but Ferrell is a freak too. If he’s there, you take him and don’t look back.

1 minute ago, ztboiler said:

You might be forgetting how small Mathis was...Stand he and Mathis next to each other...and there aren’t many similarities physically...

I was going to say the same thing. Mathis was small and compact and not 6'2 like he was listed. Turay is taller and has the frame to add a lot more muscle. Once he gets real NFL strength to go with his athleticism, he's going to be a terror coming off the edge.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Remember that’s there’s still a chance the Colts pick Top 5-10 in 2019. Everyone is talking about Bosa but Ferrell is a freak too. If he’s there, you take him and don’t look back.

We'll see what happens.   The Clemson pass rushers haven't been turning out too well lately, but each man is his own person.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Seems like Sheard got the shaft. I would have thought he and Turay were pretty similar for that game.

I agree with you about Sheard, he might not be getting the sacks but he is constantly pushing the tackles back in the QB's lap and moving them off there spots

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I always thought Basham was miscast....he was better off as Sheards backup on the left side over the right tackle. Which, coincidentally is where Muhammad is playing now that Phillips is in the mix behind Turay as the speedrusher.

Basham is miscast......as a NFL football player.

• Like 1

The above is all mostly true but no one mentions that the game is changing a bit.  The only way you beat offenses that are Tom Brady like is  push up the middle. So I think you are going to see a huge premium on guys that can do that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dw49 said:

The above is all mostly true but no one mentions that the game is changing a bit.  The only way you beat offenses that are Tom Brady like is  push up the middle. So I think you are going to see a huge premium on guys that can do that.

Is this based on what Andy Reid said on how many steps it takes to rush the QB? I think he said edge rushers take 12 steps while DT's in the middle take 5 or something like that.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Is this based on what Andy Reid said on how many steps it takes to rush the QB? I think he said edge rushers take 12 steps while DT's in the middle take 5 or something like that.

I think that plays into it but also offenses have QB's taking short drops and getting rid of the ball quickly. Pretty hard to effect that stuff from the outside . Inside pressure can bat down balls , close throwing lanes , knock O Linemen into the QB or even get a sack. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Lance Johnstone all over him. Both 6’5 250-255 lbs. Not particularly good run stopper but good for 8-12 sacks a year.

He can and likely will put on weight. Played light because Rutgers played a 3-4. After an offseason in an NFL strength and conditioning, program I think he’ll be playing at around 260-265. He’s a DE. He’ll need power to win even if he’s just a speed rusher.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I certainly didn't like the pick at the time since I read that he was knicked up quite a bit in college.  

Looks like he's the player we were hoping Basham would be.

He played all 12 games as a senior. That is what is most important.

31 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He can and likely will put on weight. Played light because Rutgers played a 3-4. After an offseason in an NFL strength and conditioning, program I think he’ll be playing at around 260-265. He’s a DE. He’ll need power to win even if he’s just a speed rusher.

U might be right but I don’t think so.  Stronger yes, but speed guys rarely get heavier.  Von Miller went back to his natural weight after injury and regained his edge

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Tyquan Lewis?  Currently on IR but I've heard he might return after the bye.  

Lewis isn't nearly the athlete Turay is, and from what I understand he added weight so he could play inside more. If he does play outside it will probably be behind Sheard or opposite Sheard on short yardage running situations. 

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Lewis isn't nearly the athlete Turay is, and from what I understand he added weight so he could play inside more. If he does play outside it will probably be behind Sheard or opposite Sheard on short yardage running situations. 

Pretty sure they plan on using Lewis the same way the use hunt and Autry. Outside on early downs and inside on passing downs 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dw49 said:

What do you mean no mentions the game is changing?  I've been talking about that for about a year now and it's why I think:

A) There is not a lot of difference between the skills needed for a LT and RT anymore.

B) The interior line positions are becoming more valuable and that is why you see more and more teams spending 1st round picks (and sometimes top 10 picks) on interior lineman.  The way to combat the edge rushers is quick throws and runs between the tackles.  To counter the quick throws a team needs DTs that can fill gaps and go after the QB, to counter the DTs and to run between the tackles you need good interior lineman.

And that is why when a generational interior lineman is available to draft, you draft him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Which is why our first pick should be a dominant 3-tech for the middle next year. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Do you have anyone in mind?

Depends on where we pick. If we pick at No. 15, and Ballard feels Jeffrey Simmons checks all the boxes, I wouldn’t mind him at all if he drops. It will be controversial for a first rounder, and people expect a drop like Joe Mixon but I’m not so sure. He needs a big junior year for teams to make it worth the risk.

But there are other options in this deep DL draft. If not Simmons, I love Raekwon Davis of Alabama for the interior for the 3-tech.