Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack appreciation thread

AwesomeAustin

20 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

He just looks like he’s shot out of a cannon when a hole opens up. I don’t see that burst with any of our other backs and can’t remember the last time I saw a colts running back have that first burst. He still needs the o line to create holes for him but when they do watch out!!  If he can stay healthy he’s gonna be a huge weapon for us!

Nelson opened huge holes. 

7 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

turn the clock back to 2001 before Edgerrin James tore his ACL

Yeah it's crazy how fast Edge was pre injury. He was good afterwards, but he was almost unstoppable his first couple of years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Never said he wasn’t. I’m talking talent not career. Mack>Gore at this point and last year. Pagano knew he had the more talented back in Mack but forced his buddy Gore the ball. 

I dont understand why this is so hard for people to see. 

Not sure I agree. Gore is a durable between the tackles back that Mack can never be. Mack is a nice player, but his recent success is thanks largely to the improved line play

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

Mike Chappell@mchappell51

Hard to believe. Mack's 100-yard game is only 4th in Luck's 83 games, including playoffs. Two by Frank Gore in 2016, one by Vick Ballard in '12. Now Mack.

That's nuts. Crazy how much we HAVEN'T given him in terms of a run game.

Didn't realize how bad it has been for him without seeing the numbers. No wonder the guy was trying to be Superman when he escaped the pocket in years past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Mack is 10x better than the others. It's not close.

Mack's burst, speed, elusiveness, and strength is better than Wilkins and Hines combined.

Mack is talented, but tonight he had so many wide open lanes that even I could run 100 yards :)

Ok, that's a joke, he was great tonight. But I give the credit to the oline more than him. Wilkins and Hynes also ran with the same efficiency - 8ypc or something like that -, not Mack alone.

Newertheless, I hope he'll stay healthy, and continue his streak. He is a very nice piece in the backfield, definitely someone who opponents will have to game plan for, if the oline keeps blocking this good. Though, I still think he is not that between the tackles bell cow type yard grinder, who gets yards after the tackle play after play, even if those yards are not there. Wilkins is less flashy, but - with a little help and experience - he could be that guy for us. He has a bit better vision and patience to find those tight holes, and bring those tough, few yards. (Which can be just as important in certain situations - 3rd downs, 4th downs, goal line, etc. - as those big chunk yards that Mack is capable to bring home.)

I'm happy for him and he looked good but this is clearly overreaction Sunday.  How can you not overreact.  We were dominant today.  I think AC back and our new OL is the big reason.  Let's see if Mack can stay healthy and put a couple of strong games together.  He looked good today, no doubt, but can he show consistency?  I sure hope so. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm happy for him and he looked good but this is clearly overreaction Sunday.  How can you not overreact.  We were dominant today.  I think AC back and our new OL is the big reason.  Let's see if Mack can stay healthy and put a couple of strong games together.  He looked good today, no doubt, but can he show consistency?  I sure hope so. 

Yeah I get that Buffalo isn't a juggernaut, but seeing us run effectively shows they CAN do it.

It's encouraging and hopefully they can build off it.

51 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Mack is talented, but tonight he had so many wide open lanes that even I could run 100 yards :)

Ok, that's a joke, he was great tonight. But I give the credit to the oline more than him. Wilkins and Hynes also ran with the same efficiency - 8ypc or something like that -, not Mack alone.

Newertheless, I hope he'll stay healthy, and continue his streak. He is a very nice piece in the backfield, definitely someone who opponents will have to game plan for, if the oline keeps blocking this good. Though, I still think he is not that between the tackles bell cow type yard grinder, who gets yards after the tackle play after play, even if those yards are not there. Wilkins is less flashy, but - with a little help and experience - he could be that guy for us. He has a bit better vision and patience to find those tight holes, and bring those tough, few yards. (Which can be just as important in certain situations - 3rd downs, 4th downs, goal line, etc. - as those big chunk yards that Mack is capable to bring home.)

It's 2018, colts don't need a "grinder".

27 minutes ago, IinD said:

Yeah I get that Buffalo isn't a juggernaut, but seeing us run effectively shows they CAN do it.

It's encouraging and hopefully they can build off it.

I read an article in IndyStar that said Buffalo had the 3rd ranked defense coming into the game.  They made the playoffs last year mainly on the back of their defense.  Hopefully we are turning a corner and the OL really starts to come together.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

4 in 83 games lmao . If we had a 100 Yard Rusher just 8 times a year/half a year, Andrew would go 14-2 every year.

Although I could swear Ahmad Bradshaw had a 100 yard game or two.. Maybe I'm wrong.

Couple things:

1)  Mack looked pretty good last week too.  Sure, today was even better, but he looked just fine in his season debut as well.

2) This is EXACTLY why you build the lines first.  Not only has Mack looked good running but so have the other RB's.  Also, Luck has not been sacked in the last 2 games now, and only once in NE.  So they've given up one sack the last 3 games. 

Now, imagine if we can continue to build the OL and also build the DL.  This could be one tough team to deal with if both lines are upper echelon.  I know picking OL high in the draft isn't sexy, but it's the right thing to do, as well as for the DL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Never said he wasn’t. I’m talking talent not career. Mack>Gore at this point and last year. Pagano knew he had the more talented back in Mack but forced his buddy Gore the ball. 

I dont understand why this is so hard for people to see. 

Gore got more carries because he was a workhorse.  And also, Mack had a busted shoulder so he was on a pitch count.

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

Absolutely give some credit to the O-line. But gotta give to the RB's as well.They didn't just fall down after being touched, They were breaking tackles and busting out long runs.  Turning 4-5 yarders into 10+.  Even Hines. I think Mack and the O-line wore this defense down, and that is ALWAYS a recipe for success.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Great to win. Been a rough week with my mom passing last night. Mack can be great

So sorry to hear about the passing of your mom :(  I know how hard it is.  My condolences to you and your family during this time.

23 hours ago, krunk said:

What I think we need is a more talented #2 back. I'm not so certain that guy is Wilkins.

I actually like Wilkins a lot.  A lot of people were down on him after preseason but I honestly think those people were just looking at stat lines because all I remember seeing were people quoting his ypc.  There's far more to it than that.

Now if defenders get into the backfield and hit him right away, he's not going to make those guys miss many times like Mack can.  But when there's even a slight crease he seems to burst through it and always add on an extra yard or 2 before actually going down.  I think he could be a very good complementary back.

Hines I think just needs to work on his decisiveness, which seemed to be a bit of Mack's problem last year.  Hopefully Hines will watch tape and learn from Mack and get better himself in that department.

It just kind of bothers me that he's not the fastest guy in the world.  I mean he's good at picking up extra yards as far as short down and distance goes but he doesn't have a whole lot of burst to get away from people.  I'd like to have another guy who can keep the running game moving if Mack went down. Hopefully he'll make me eat crow, but I'm not his biggest fan.  I just think he's decent.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

It just kind of bothers me that he's not the fastest guy in the world.  I mean he's good at picking up extra yards as far as short down and distance goes but he doesn't have a whole lot of burst to get away from people.  I'd like to have another guy who can keep the running game moving if Mack went down. Hopefully he'll make me eat crow, but I'm not his biggest fan.  I just think he's decent.

I concur.

I'm still interested to see if Jonathan Williams gets called up.  Not sure what Turbin status is but if he ends up on IR or something I wouldn't mind seeing a backfield of Mack, Wilkins, Williams, and Hines. Gives you 3 6 foot backs with different skill sets that could compliment each other. Williams I think is a good bit faster than Wilkins.  I think they could all work together.