Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Empty Stadium Seats

Alex22

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I've got no doubt it's because of the frustration of watching this team flounder for the last 5 years or so. 

The last FIVE YEARS OR SO?

Does,  "or so" mean less?

12:     11-5

13:     11-5

14:     11-5

15:       8-8    With Luck missisng 9 games

16:       8-8

17:       4-12

At best,  you have 3 years of "floundering" and that's if you don't allow for Luck missing more than half a season.    Otherwise.........

• Like 3

I've never had a bad time at a game.

The only annoying part of going to any game are the sprinkling of emotional grown-ups who over react to any little thing any player does. As though every dropped ball requires someone to get benched.

When I watch from home, I can always turn off the game thread.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I don't live in Indy but i have been to a game during the Peyton era and i have been to a game in the current era and there is not much comparison. I think the post above^ hits the nail on the head.

Although it isnt just in Indy. 

It is most other teams as well....

29 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Here are a couple of reasons that I can think of:

1. Andrew Luck played half of the season in 2015, where the Colts went 8-8. He last played nearly a full season in 2016, where the Colts were 8-8. He missed all of the 2017 season, where the Colts went 4-12. The fans have started to get turned off by the Colts.

2. The GM did not spend money in the FA period, alluding to this season being all about the youngsters and their development. He does not think this is a team ready to compete, so why should the fans?

3. The game has changed, and continues to change. It has gotten to be much softer, and the penalties arising from the changes to the game have turned fans off.

4. Football is a kid's game played by adults. It's not where I go to get political advice. We should keep politics out of sports, and let sports be just sports.

This I am on the fence about. On the one hand players are more protected, on the other hand they are compensated millions to put their body on the line. 

In the end it is their choice and it is unfortunate many of them sue the company that gave them their millions.

I was at the game yesterday.  Although it didn't seem as packed as I recall from other games I've gone to over the years, it was still plenty full.   Most of the empty seats I saw were up in the rafters.  We were down on the field,  it was full, but some started leaving after the 3rd Qtr.   :dunno: 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, buccolts said:

The only annoying part of going to any game are the sprinkling of emotional grown-ups who over react to any little thing any player does. As though every dropped ball requires someone to get benched.

:agree:  with the bolded comments.    I absolutely LOVE being in the stadium, and always have a great time at the games.      Yesterday there were the token *s around calling for Luck to be benched, but I just :ignore:   for best results.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gramz said:

:agree:  with the bolded comments.    I absolutely LOVE being in the stadium, and always have a great time at the games.      Yesterday there were the token *s around calling for Luck to be benched, but I just :ignore:   for best results.

Agreed. And, unless they're getting obnoxious, I just snicker, and ignore.

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

I was at the game yesterday.  Although it didn't seem as packed as I recall from other games I've gone to over the years, it was still plenty full.   Most of the empty seats I saw were up in the rafters.  We were down on the field,  it was full, but some started leaving after the 3rd Qtr.   :dunno: 

Wish I knew you guys were there, I would have stopped over.  

There did seem to be a lot of empties in the upper decks.  

• Like 1

I go to several games a year, and enjoy them, but man there is way to many breaks in play. Constantly stopping the game for commercial breaks, injuries, etc. Dakich talked about it today, and I hate to agree with him, but he is right on this one. I mean a player will start limping off the field, get close to his sideline and trainers, then lay down on the field while they look at him. If you can get off the field, then get off and let’s go.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Wish I knew you guys were there, I would have stopped over.  

There did seem to be a lot of empties in the upper decks.  

We were down in the same seats we had last year, right next to the tunnel, 4th row.  It would have been nice to see you too!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I go to several games a year, and enjoy them, but man there is way to many breaks in play. Constantly stopping the game for commercial breaks, injuries, etc. Dakich talked about it today, and I hate to agree with him, but he is right on this one. I mean a player will start limping off the field, get close to his sideline and trainers, then lay down on the field while they look at him. If you can get off the field, then get off and let’s go.

Agree.  When at the game those commercial breaks take FOREVER! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Our fan base is embarrassing.   I'll say it.   Before Peyton the stadium was never full.     Peyton is the reason we have that stadium.   Not winning 12 games a year is why it isn't selling out. Winning will put butts in the seats

Before Manning how many black out games did the Colts have?  As I recall not too many if any.  I know my memory on those things may be hazy but I still don't recall it was a problem. 

But you are 100% correct with winning puts butts in the seats.

2 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Grigson and Pagano were franchise killers. It's gonna take some time

to get the winning tradition back. The fans will return when the product

gets above mediocre.

Franchise killers?  The Colts were around a long time before Grigson and Pagano and those two were far from the worst this team has had. 

Quit being so dramatic.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Before Manning how many black out games did the Colts have?  As I recall not too many if any.  I know my memory on those things may be hazy but I still don't recall it was a problem. 

But you are 100% correct with winning puts butts in the seats.

Before manning,  quite a few.   This is a fickle fan base.   

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Can't really blame people for not wanting to watch a loosing team

Losing*

40 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

As far as the commercial breaks you have to keep in mind that is what pays the bills. That is why the players are on the field for you to watch in the first place.  Without the TV money these games wouldn't be on TV at all. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Before manning,  quite a few.   

I can't find the numbers on blacked out games but I can't remember not being able to watch all but one Colts game since they been in Indy.  I remember going to a friends house over in Terre Haute to watch a game a long time ago but that is before we drafted Jeff George so it's been a minute.

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Here are a couple of reasons that I can think of:

1. Andrew Luck played half of the season in 2015, where the Colts went 8-8. He last played nearly a full season in 2016, where the Colts were 8-8. He missed all of the 2017 season, where the Colts went 4-12. The fans have started to get turned off by the Colts.

2. The GM did not spend money in the FA period, alluding to this season being all about the youngsters and their development. He does not think this is a team ready to compete, so why should the fans?

3. The game has changed, and continues to change. It has gotten to be much softer, and the penalties arising from the changes to the game have turned fans off.

4. Football is a kid's game played by adults. It's not where I go to get political advice. We should keep politics out of sports, and let sports be just sports.

i concur

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I was surprised to see so many empty seats. You could tell the two rows In front of me were season ticket holders. They came late and left early lol 

You have to keep in mind that most season tickets are sold to companies and businesses. Those companies buy whole lots or blocks of seats and pass them out to clients or friends of those who are in charge of the tickets. The more wins the team has the harder it is to get those seats.

I used to get a lot of tickets from the seats that belonged to the Hilton. They had seats at a few places throughout the stadium.

I also got a set of tickets in the penthouse seats that were owned by Anthem.  That happened only when the team was not doing good.

Many reasons:

It was a really nice day it seemed from tv. People make other plans and just blow off games. I've done it with local sports tickets I've paid for (Jets, Giants, Mets, Yankees). Technically it's a paid seat in the books.

I've gone to a game for an hour and left.

I've paid for games and never even gone to my seat if the vibe was good while hanging out around the stadium. Went to a couple Reds games with family a few months back and did that. People don't realize how many people are roaming a stadium. If you put those butts in seats, it'll look more packed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

I can remember when the fans in the lower deck wore suits and ties and the jean crowd was in the upper deck.  In the RCA dome the upper deck was the place to be. If the game wasn't going well there were always some crazy stuff happening in the upper deck. Lots of drinking, smoking weed and partying up on top. lol

I seen some crazy stuff being thrown off the upper deck down on the suits and ties. Lots of popcorn and beer being accidently dropped lol

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The last FIVE YEARS OR SO?

Does,  "or so" mean less?

12:     11-5

13:     11-5

14:     11-5

15:       8-8    With Luck missisng 9 games

16:       8-8

17:       4-12

At best,  you have 3 years of "floundering" and that's if you don't allow for Luck missing more than half a season.    Otherwise.........

I should probably let this go (and you could too..), but it was a loose approximation. But let's be fair and put this under the microscope since you brought it up. The team has never been a serious contender since Luck arrived.

Those 11 win teams could lose by 20+ points to better squads and I recall vividly feeling like Luck was kick butt, while much of the roster was just butt during those years. Which leads us to today, this rebuild and the fan base not being all in. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have to keep in mind that most season tickets are sold to companies and businesses. Those companies buy whole lots or blocks of seats and pass them out to clients or friends of those who are in charge of the tickets. The more wins the team has the harder it is to get those seats.

I used to get a lot of tickets from the seats that belonged to the Hilton. They had seats at a few places throughout the stadium.

I also got a set of tickets in the penthouse seats that were owned by Anthem.  That happened only when the team was not doing good.

That is how I was able to go to one Colts games and a Reds Game

My sister was competing in the PPK(Got on the field too)

Accompanied my Coal Mining Grandfather to Riverfront as a “guest” of a coal company 

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I should probably let this go (and you could too..), but it was a loose approximation. But let's be fair and put this under the microscope since you brought it up. The team has never been a serious contender since Luck arrived.

Those 11 win teams could lose by 20+ points to better squads and I recall vividly feeling like Luck was kick butt, while much of the roster was just butt during those years. Which leads us to today, this rebuild and the fan base not being all in. 

Lets making the AFC championship game under the microscope. Yes we lost but we were in serious contention. I guess your memory is forgetful.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Lets making the AFC championship game under the microscope. Yes we lost but we were in serious contention. I guess your memory is forgetful.

Well, I don't recall losing..

But I do recall a 20+ point beat down (sort of.. I drank during the 2nd half and basically ignored the game).