Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat McAffee Story in IndyStar

Steamboat_Shaun

Kickers.

i like the "i dont wanna make money for these guys anymore"

talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Does anyone miss him on the field?  No.  Rigaberto has been as good for far less money.

i always liked Mcafee, but the guy occasionally goes off the rails..... like WAYYYYYY off the rails.

i had my doubts about barstool.  I just didnt see a future.

• Like 2

This story doesn't make Pat look any better than Grigson. I've always defended Pat against the people who say he was a bit much, but the attitude he's displaying here supports that argument. 

Grigson was obviously a jerk, based on this and other stories, so this isn't a pretty Grigson statement in any way. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Kickers.

Does anyone miss him on the field?  No.  Rigaberto has been as good for far less money.

i always liked Mcafee, but the guy occasionally goes off the rails..... like WAYYYYYY off the rails.

I miss him.   Best punter in the league.  

• Like 1

After Grigson was fired, why did he still retire?  

I agree he doesn't look good in this article, giving up a once in a lifetime opportunity to earn that kind of money playing a game.  The guy could have had another decade in the league, travelling and cashing checks... kicking a ball.

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Just read this. Pat is the man. Also, did he let it slip that Luck hurt his shoulder 3 times? Grigson is such a crank.

Sure reads that way

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Kickers.

Actually, I do miss seeing him on the field. And Rigaberto has been ok, but he's no McAfee. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, #12. said:

After Grigson was fired, why did he still retire?  

I agree he doesn't look good in this article, giving up a once in a lifetime opportunity to earn that kind of money playing a game.  The guy could have had another decade in the league, travelling and cashing checks... kicking a ball.

He also had knee issues. 

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He'd just had his third knee surgery. Probably figured it was time to go out on his terms

maybe if Grigson wasn't * he would have tried to rehab.   Who knows? I think the guy is a great story teller.   I'm a big fan of his podcast 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Kickers.

Rigaberto is a great young replacement for Pat, but not even in the same conversation. Pat wasn't just top 3 every year, he was one of the best ever. Clutch punter. Incredible off the tee, specifically with onside kicks. 

I can assure you we will miss Adam Viniateri when he is gone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

This story doesn't make Pat look any better than Grigson. I've always defended Pat against the people who say he was a bit much, but the attitude he's displaying here supports that argument.

I hate to tell you this, but that way of thinking is old fashioned. McAfee is just ahead of the curve. This is how Millenials operate in the workplace, if you're in a field where you might have to work with them, brace yourself.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Why wouldn't we? He was never a diva.  He speaks his mind.   What's the issue??

He seems to have a really big opinion of himself, and doesn't seem very humble. And, this story paints a picture of him that fits the definition to a tee. 

Diva: a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please.

I mean, how dare Grigson call him to his office, and dare to even think to fine the great McAfee. 

But most of all, what purpose does his story serve? To disparage Grigson again? It just feels petty. 

19 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I hate to tell you this, but that way of thinking is old fashioned. McAfee is just ahead of the curve. This is how Millenials operate in the workplace, if you're in a field where you might have to work with them, brace yourself.

That is not a millennial thing, it's an individual thing. Where do these warped, and skewed narratives come from? 

• Like 5

This kind of story makes me wonder how many times Grigson treated other players like this besides Pat? I would almost bet this wasn't the only incident between Grigson and Pat either. It's not like this was probably a 1 time thing. Boss or not, nobody should be treated like garbage so I don't blame Pat at all. If my boss called me into his office and was cussing and acting like a raving maniac I wouldn't put up with it either. My guess is, Pat had several run ins with Grigs over petty stuff like a picture being taken and Pat just basically said I am done with this franchise. A couple of years ago on Twitter, Reggie Wayne also had said Grigs was rude to the players as well so right there alone proves it wouldn't just a Pat problem.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

He seems to have a really big opinion of himself, and doesn't seem very humble. And, this story paints a picture of him that fits the definition to a tee. 

Diva: a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please.

I mean, how dare Grigson call him to his office, and dare to even think to fine the great McAfee. 

But most of all, what purpose does his story serve? To disparage Grigson again? It just feels petty. 

He is telling a story.   A story he lived through.   Grigson can refute it.  But I'm guessing he won't.    If it's true,   obviously Grigson was focused on the wrong things

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This kind of story makes me wonder how many times Grigson treated other players like this besides Pat? I would almost bet this wasn't the only incident between Grigson and Pat either. It's not like this was probably a 1 time thing. Boss or not, nobody should be treated like garbage so I don't blame Pat at all. If my boss called me into his office and was cussing and acting like a raving maniac I wouldn't put up with it either. My guess is, Pat had several run ins with Grigs over petty stuff like a picture being taken and Pat just basically said I am done with this franchise. A couple of years ago on Twitter, Reggie Wayne also had said Grigs was rude to the players as well so right there alone proves it wouldn't just a Pat problem.

Grigson was on a power trip 100% of the time and this story just adds to that narrative. Grigson was mad that he had to keep Pat from the start, when he wanted a cheaper alternative... He was constantly looking for things to justify getting rid of him, or in this case driving him out. Ironic it was the same time frame things were going south fast for the entire organization under his command. I'd say many players had similar stories, and this is pretty much why Grigson was fired and Pagano wasn't. Pagano had stories to show what bad management looked like, and had the players to back him on that end. 

Pat's not a prima donna millennial. He was an underappreciated employee that was valuable to the organization he brought a lot of money to. 2nd best selling Jersey, top 25 in the league at one point (ahead of Cam Newton)... and being threatened of losing a large chunk of his salary by a crap manager that no one got along with... for no good reason. Good employees don't leave companies, they leave bad managers. Period.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Grigson was on a power trip 100% of the time and this story just adds to that narrative. Grigson was mad that he had to keep Pat from the start, when he wanted a cheaper alternative... He was constantly looking for things to justify getting rid of him, or in this case driving him out. Ironic it was the same time frame things were going south fast for the entire organization under his command. I'd say many players had similar stories, and this is pretty much why Grigson was fired and Pagano wasn't. Pagano had stories to show what bad management looked like, and had the players to back him on that end. 

Pat's not a prima donna millennial. He was an underappreciated employee that was valuable to the organization he brought a lot of money to. 2nd best selling Jersey, top 25 in the league at one point (ahead of Cam Newton)... and being threatened of losing a large chunk of his salary by a crap manager that no one got along with... for no good reason. Good employees don't leave companies, they leave bad managers. Period.

I totally agree and I am not here to bash Grigson but if it quacks like a duck then it is a duck. Bottomline is, Pat was a great Punter his whole career, Grigson had 1 great year in 2012 and then sucked for years after that. I guess I am bashing him now, I apologize lmao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I totally agree and I am not here to bash Grigson but if it quack likes a duck then it is a duck. Bottomline is, Pat was a great Punter his whole career, Grigson had 1 great year in 2012 and then sucked for years after that. I guess I am bashing him now, I apologize lmao 

Pat does need to air dirty laundry 

Pat was great on the field but this was not on the field

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

JMO

The story was not needed

It makes Pat look “childish”

That's your opinion but maybe Pat thinks differently and was even hurt by the situation so he wanted to tell the story. I don't have a problem with it at all. If someone treated you like garbage or said something hurtful to you would you keep quiet? I wouldn't. 

• Like 5

The fact that Pat keeps revealing this stuff tells me a lot. It is widely speculated and known that Grigs had serious issues. Pat continuing to "bring stuff to light", is lowering my opinion of Pat. No, not because he is a kicker...or any of that "Kick a ball for a living crap". Training for the NFL is damned hard...all positions. 

Once you grow up and deal with all things that life hits you with, you stop needing the world to know what you have went through. 

It's past time for Pat to move on. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's your opinion but maybe Pat thinks differently and was even hurt by the situation so he wanted to tell the story. I don't have a problem with it all. If someone treated you like garbage or said something hurtful to you would you keep quiet? I wouldn't. 

You step and say it then not wait multiple years and another job to complain

I tell my kids to speak up immediately if someone wrongs you 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

The fact that Pat keeps revealing this stuff tells me a lot. It is widely speculated and known that Grigs had serious issues. Pat continuing to "bring stuff to light", is lowering my opinion of Pat. No, not because he is a kicker...or any of that "Kick a ball for a living crap". Training for the NFL is damned hard...all positions. 

Once you grow up and deal with all things that life hits you with, you stop needing the world to know what you have went through. 

It's past time for Pat to move on. 

I use my story to teach

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

You step and say it then not wait multiple years and another job to complain

I tell my kids to speak up immediately if someone wrongs you 

I don't disagree with that and for all we know Pat may have said something to Irsay about what happened and Irsay didn't do anything about it. Irsay was the only guy above Grigson. There is no way I can defend Grigson here though in anyway. His behavior for someone in his position was beyond ridiculous and childish. 

• Like 1

I do remember that Reggie story and that was definitely a bad look for Grigson. He didn't talk to Reggie for months after he took the job. You aren't going to make friends in the organization by ignoring a top 10 player in franchise history.

Pat is definitely a wise butt I'd bet, simply because you have to be to be a comedian. I can't hate on him for how he retired. He was great until he cashed his last check. Earned every penny (football wise).

I can empathize with him though on one thing, I once quit a job because I couldn't stand my boss. Never before or since, but I left a solid job because I cringed every time I had to speak to my boss.

• Like 1