Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Practice Squad

TKnight24

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Do you know what it is that he did?

The Wikipedia report I read(was on my phone, so I couldn’t get more detailed) just immaturity and inability to learn schemes

just looked a little deeper on found out a little more 

He struggled to adjust  and when TB HC Koetter tried to teach him by taking him out of a Preseason game he got his feelings hurt

He was a star of Hard Knocks in TB

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

McNichols was extremely productive his 2 years as a starter at Boise after Ajayi moved on to the NFL.

He was considered a steal in the 6th round last year and it gives me pause he couldn't make the RB hungry Bucs (last year) or 49ers (this year).....

Perhaps that whole change of scenery thing will help....?

I was a fan when he was a Bronco liked him going into the draft too. I have been impressed since he hit the bigs. He didn't do much when we played 2 carries 5 yards 2 reps 10 more. I caught SF v Rams I think is who they played and gave him work He went 10 carries for 28 yds in that one. He's another little guy 205lbs. I have not heard Ballard's profile for RB's but he may like the smaller players. 

I had an eye Brian Hill from the same draft. He has every down potential or the between the tackles guy in a committee at 6'1 220lbs. He got us 8 for 38 yards and led the Bengals this preseason 17 carries 87 yards adding 70 more and a score receiving.  I also thought Josh Adams the rookie in Philly looked good. He led Philly in rushing.  I'm an Irish fan so Adams was my guy.  He ended up on their PS and Hill is back on the Falcons PS squad. They are team that drafted him last year. 

Ballard obviously saw something in McNichols and I remember him tearing it up at Boise St.  Maybe he can find his mojo again. I would love to hear Ballard's profile for the RB position. 

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Jeremy McNichols is only 22 years old

Born:December 26, 1995 (age 22)

Long Beach, California

Height:5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)

Weight:212 lb (96 kg)

He is down to 205lbs trying to regain the explosiveness he had back at Boise St. He maybe a guy we are looking at to fill Hines role if he can't get it together. That would make sense. He had 103 receptions and handled KO duties at Boise St too. The signing make sense to me now. 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/49ers-jeremy-mcnichols-down-to-205-pounds/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I remember watching him on Hard Knocks last year and his problems seemed mostly mental. A lot of messing up the plays and missing blocks. Stuff like that. TB wanted him on their practice squad and he turned them down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JRnINDY said:

This particular move has a lot of sentimental value to me.

Our friend Gavin was the biggest fan of Douglas.   He hoped the Colts would draft him and when we didn’t, he followed his career as Douglas moved from team to team. 

I’m sure Gavin is smiling brightly tonight, Colts Nation.   He finally got his wish! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

12 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Hopefully he's learned from it?

11 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Agreed 

I only hope that the stuff that got him cut in TB and maybe SF has changed

11 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Missed a block and let the QB get hammered, got yelled at, waived, and then bailed on the team (didn't sign to their practice squad) because of it... among many other prior items.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/28/bucs-fifth-rounder-jeremy-mcnichols-gets-final-chance-this-week/

https://thepewterplank.com/2018/06/13/tampa-bay-buccaneers-shaun-wilson-anti-jeremy-mcnichols-2018/

Fav quote- "He was a bust. But how? He was a fifth-round draft pick. How do guys drafted on day three become busts? When they don’t even make it past training camp in their rookie season."

Right now, McNichols is an immature, poor mans 'Steve Tasker' at best it seems. The NFL these days needs more from a player than just being a dedicated Special Team player.  He has to learn the system, read defenses, and not make mistakes executing plays, and be a stand up mature teammate or he wont make it to this 53 man roster either.

11 hours ago, akcolt said:

He is down to 205lbs trying to regain the explosiveness he had back at Boise St. He maybe a guy we are looking at to fill Hines role if he can't get it together. That would make sense. He had 103 receptions and handled KO duties at Boise St too. The signing make sense to me now. 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/49ers-jeremy-mcnichols-down-to-205-pounds/

Winner winner chicken dinner exactly what I was thinking fits The offense.

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Good.  Glad to see Lenzy Pipkins back.  He looked good in the limited time we saw him against the Bengals backups plus has decent experience with Green Bay. 

22 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Good.  Glad to see Lenzy Pipkins back.  He looked good in the limited time we saw him against the Bengals backups plus has decent experience with Green Bay. 

Agree. Pipkins being next man up at CB is a big improvement. And I like the McNichols signing as well. The PS for the Colts is seriously talented. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2018 at 11:51 AM, Coltsman1788 said:

I'd say less than Jacoby did last year.  This year's team is worse than last year (if you take Luck out of the equation.)  Only thing that makes people think we can be .500 is the fact that Luck will be back under center.  But roster wise we are very inexperienced in a lot of areas and the defense overall has gotten worse.

Why does it matter?  No one expects Walker to play the whole season for us.

We seemed to have addressed the OL properly for the first time in a long time (Q. Nelson is inexperienced, but a once-in-a-generation talent who will do just fine as a rookie and the addition of Slausen brings a veteran presence to the right side of our OL, plus whether Haeg or someone else wins the RT position, we've got more experience there than what we had last year).  That alone should help us a lot.

We added Ebron who has potential to be a major receiving threat from the TE position (I think Doyle will likely have more receptions than him, though Ebron is certainly more explosive and has ability to make plays which we haven't had in a while from a #2 TE (maybe he's 1a?), especially with a healthy Luck).  We also have not digressed at WR position, we've got our star in TY and another year under Chester Roger's belt and not for nothing, but I doubt Grant is going to perform worse than Moncrief did last year.

We lost an aging Frank Gore, but we've got a lot of speed and potential at the RB position with the 4 we kept on the active squad.  

There is no doubt in my mind that our offense is better than last year, regardless of whether Luck is healthy or not.  Plus, I think we've got a better O-minded coach this year as well.

We may be somewhat inexperienced on D, but I don't see us being any worse than last year.  We lack depth in a few areas, but we lacked depth last year, too.  If Hooker and Geathers can stay on the field, we've got a solid S unit for sure and our CBs are pretty similar (we lost an average/slightly above average guy at CB in Melvin).  Our scheme this year seems more to fit our players' capabilities.  Sure we're banking on some young guys to perform well (especially in the front 7), but we were banking on that last year, too.  In my opinion, we have a decent mix of veterans along the DL who should help our young bucks out (Al Woods, Sheard, Hunt, Autry, etc... plus if preseason is any indication, I think we're seeing expected growth from Ridgeway, Basham and Stewart).  

We would likely be in trouble if we had to rely on Walker for a whole season, but we also have some games in the schedule that would likely be winnable if we was in (e.g., Buffalo, NYJ) and a few other toss-ups.

Long story short, I don't see how you are claiming this team is already worse than last year's team without seeing us step foot onto the regular season field.  On paper, I don't think it's even close that this year's offense is better than last year and I don't really see our D being much worse, if any.  In fact, with the new scheme and an improved offense, the D is likely to be better if they can stay healthy, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interestingly enough, Ryan DeLaire has still not been signed by any of the other 31 teams.....not one practice squad or 53 man roster. Nor has John Simon for that matter.

For all those blathering on and on about Ballard making horrible decisions....it must be crushing to think that none of the other 31 teams have signed either of them.

Having said that, I'd still love for them to be wearing the shoe....lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Interestingly enough, Ryan DeLaire has still not been signed by any of the other 31 teams.....not one practice squad or 53 man roster. Nor has John Simon for that matter.

For all those blathering on and on about Ballard making horrible decisions....it must be crushing to think that none of the other 31 teams have signed either of them.

I am little surprised RD hasn’t Caught on somewhere

46 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

We seemed to have addressed the OL properly for the first time in a long time (Q. Nelson is inexperienced, but a once-in-a-generation talent who will do just fine as a rookie and the addition of Slausen brings a veteran presence to the right side of our OL, plus whether Haeg or someone else wins the RT position, we've got more experience there than what we had last year).  That alone should help us a lot.

We added Ebron who has potential to be a major receiving threat from the TE position (I think Doyle will likely have more receptions than him, though Ebron is certainly more explosive and has ability to make plays which we haven't had in a while from a #2 TE (maybe he's 1a?), especially with a healthy Luck).  We also have not digressed at WR position, we've got our star in TY and another year under Chester Roger's belt and not for nothing, but I doubt Grant is going to perform worse than Moncrief did last year.

We lost an aging Frank Gore, but we've got a lot of speed and potential at the RB position with the 4 we kept on the active squad.  

There is no doubt in my mind that our offense is better than last year, regardless of whether Luck is healthy or not.  Plus, I think we've got a better O-minded coach this year as well.

We may be somewhat inexperienced on D, but I don't see us being any worse than last year.  We lack depth in a few areas, but we lacked depth last year, too.  If Hooker and Geathers can stay on the field, we've got a solid S unit for sure and our CBs are pretty similar (we lost an average/slightly above average guy at CB in Melvin).  Our scheme this year seems more to fit our players' capabilities.  Sure we're banking on some young guys to perform well (especially in the front 7), but we were banking on that last year, too.  In my opinion, we have a decent mix of veterans along the DL who should help our young bucks out (Al Woods, Sheard, Hunt, Autry, etc... plus if preseason is any indication, I think we're seeing expected growth from Ridgeway, Basham and Stewart).  

We would likely be in trouble if we had to rely on Walker for a whole season, but we also have some games in the schedule that would likely be winnable if we was in (e.g., Buffalo, NYJ) and a few other toss-ups.

Long story short, I don't see how you are claiming this team is already worse than last year's team without seeing us step foot onto the regular season field.  On paper, I don't think it's even close that this year's offense is better than last year and I don't really see our D being much worse, if any.  In fact, with the new scheme and an improved offense, the D is likely to be better if they can stay healthy, IMO.

Offensively I think we have improved on the line...which is important.  I still don't think this offense has many weapons outside of Hilton that strike fear in opposing defenses. When compared to how prolific our defense will make opposing offenses look, I think the Colts even with Luck will be hard pressed to keep pace.

I believe defensively we have taken a few steps back with the loss of Hankins, Simon, Anderson, Melvin.  We got younger and switched schemes but I think we have lost something in the way of run defense which frankly had improved last year.  Our linebackers should be better in coverage at least...which is nice.   I guess we will see but the inexperience on defense coupled with the the loss of some solid defensive vet players has me feeling like our defense won't be as good as last year.   They will be fun to watch purely for the sake of the youth movement and the interest we will have in watching their development.  But I think they will give up a lot of points... so brace yourself.

• Like 1

Since many here lament the loss of some players (mostly from previous regime) from last year, I'll chime in with one.

Frank Gore.

Incredible player with vision, power, slippery moves, and unmatched work ethic...

He needs just 76 yards to move past Curtis Martin to be #4 all time on the NFL rushing list leader board.  He'll get that by end of game 2 with the Dolphins. Possibly game one!!  Love this quote from him-

“When they mention my name, they’ll mention me as a football player. Not just being a running back. A football player and my teammates respect me. This organization respects me. My coaches respect me – the way I come to work, practice and play. Like I said, if I’m not here next year, I know that I gave it my all here. I know they will say this guy gave our organization his all,” Frank Gore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm sure plenty of teams would like John Simon, he can afford to be picky to choose his next destination carefully. I'd like to see him in Green Bay personally, I think he would fit that team well opposite Matthews. The Rams could use an OLB as well, I just don't wanna see him back in Houston.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

What's crushing to think is that if John Simon were with the Colts, he'd be a starter, yet not signed by any other team....yet?

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

What's crushing to think is that if John Simon were with the Colts, he'd be a starter, yet not signed by any other team....yet?

To hear all the haters the other day wanting to mount Ballard on a pike like Vlad the Impaler for cutting those two fellas......sheesh....

Yes, it's probably killing them seeing them not instantly scooped up as "talented" as they were....

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Hankins still not signed as well.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I think the vested vets who are among the final cuts are not just going to sign with the 1st. team that calls them.  Especially the younger guys like Simon and Pasztor. They are trying to find the right fit and they have to negotiate a new contract as well.  I would think that would take more time.   DeLaire , on the other hand, would probably sign with the first team that shows interest.  He's looking to catch on somewhere and would most likely be happy to get on a practice squad.  Having said that I wish Ballard would sign Pasztor.  I would feel 100% better if he was our right tackle to start the season.  He can also play guard if the need arises.  If he went for Howard he should have no qualms about going for Pasztor. 

Week one is a weird week....   lots of vets aren’t on rosters....     why?   Because if you’re on a week one roster then your contract is guanteed for the season.    At least that’s my understanding.  

Lots of guys will get signed weeks 2 and 3....   especially to fill spots that come open due to injuries...

If I’m wrong about any of this, I’m sure someone will come along and correct me.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Since many here lament the loss of some players (mostly from previous regime) from last year, I'll chime in with one.

Frank Gore.

Incredible player with vision, power, slippery moves, and unmatched work ethic...

He needs just 76 yards to move past Curtis Martin to be #4 all time on the NFL rushing list leader board.  He'll get that by end of game 2 with the Dolphins. Possibly game one!!  Love this quote from him-

“When they mention my name, they’ll mention me as a football player. Not just being a running back. A football player and my teammates respect me. This organization respects me. My coaches respect me – the way I come to work, practice and play. Like I said, if I’m not here next year, I know that I gave it my all here. I know they will say this guy gave our organization his all,” Frank Gore.

Curious when this quote took place. What teammates & organization was he referring to?

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Week one is a weird week....   lots of vets aren’t on rosters....     why?   Because if you’re on a week one roster then your contract is guanteed for the season.    At least that’s my understanding.  

Lots of guys will get signed weeks 2 and 3....   especially to fill spots that come open due to injuries...

If I’m wrong about any of this, I’m sure someone will come along and correct me.

Week one games have always seemed like a throw away and no real evidence of  how a season will go.  Now that you said that it makes sense as to why.  i didn't konw that before. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re right, I agree. Many vets will get signed after the first game has been played, with incentives and reduced guarantees methinks. Also signings as injuries begin to rack up.

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Curious when this quote took place. What teammates & organization was he referring to?

I believe the Dolphins, for giving him a shot this year in the twilight of his career, and in his home state / school. (Wasn’t he a Hurricane?)

17 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Offensively I think we have improved on the line...which is important.  I still don't think this offense has many weapons outside of Hilton that strike fear in opposing defenses. When compared to how prolific our defense will make opposing offenses look, I think the Colts even with Luck will be hard pressed to keep pace.

I believe defensively we have taken a few steps back with the loss of Hankins, Simon, Anderson, Melvin.  We got younger and switched schemes but I think we have lost something in the way of run defense which frankly had improved last year.  Our linebackers should be better in coverage at least...which is nice.   I guess we will see but the inexperience on defense coupled with the the loss of some solid defensive vet players has me feeling like our defense won't be as good as last year.   They will be fun to watch purely for the sake of the youth movement and the interest we will have in watching their development.  But I think they will give up a lot of points... so brace yourself.

I think Ebron has potential to be the best play-making TE of the Luck era.  He's had some issues with drops in the past, but there's no doubt he's got a lot of athleticism.  Luck should hopefully have some more time to throw this year (even if the coaches are setting things up to get the ball out quickly), which has allowed him to make people around him better in the past (his ability to extend plays ultimately played a role in him getting hurt, but it did definitely make others around him look better).  Then we've got more speed at RB than we've had since I don't remember when, and with an improved OL that should allow for plays to be made (of our 8 runs over 20 yards last year, Marlon Mack had 6 compared to Frank Gore's 1 and Brisett's 1).

On defense, Anderson was hurt most of the past 2 years for us.  He was good as a rookie, but I don't see losing him as a big loss (plus I don't think he's a great fit for our new scheme).  There is a reason Hankins is still a free agent, he was OK for us but I don't think he's a big loss.  Simon was good, but he's more of a role player and only played 9 games for us last year -- again, not a big loss (I will miss him more for his motor and seemingly being a good teammate, but we're not losing a star football talent, plus he's still a FA so I wouldn't be shocked if we see him back on the roster at some point).  Melvin played in 10 games for us (which is the 2nd most games he's played in a full season in the 5 years he's been in the NFL), he was pretty good for us, but he's nothing more than an average CB (IMO).  I don't think he's a big loss either.

I'm sure our D will struggle at times, but frankly, I don't see how we're going to be much, if any, worse than last year.  

• Like 1

This practice squad is by far the most talented group of players I've seen assembled in the Colts era. In the past it was a collection of stiffs usually undersized or serious projects.  

Most of these 10 guys come with a pedigree and at least some experience. 

Heck, even Hewitt, Muhammad and Moore all bring solid experience and pedigree. 

I like what our scouts have done identifying talent....

6 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I think Ebron has potential to be the best play-making TE of the Luck era.  He's had some issues with drops in the past, but there's no doubt he's got a lot of athleticism.  Luck should hopefully have some more time to throw this year (even if the coaches are setting things up to get the ball out quickly), which has allowed him to make people around him better in the past (his ability to extend plays ultimately played a role in him getting hurt, but it did definitely make others around him look better).  Then we've got more speed at RB than we've had since I don't remember when, and with an improved OL that should allow for plays to be made (of our 8 runs over 20 yards last year, Marlon Mack had 6 compared to Frank Gore's 1 and Brisett's 1).

On defense, Anderson was hurt most of the past 2 years for us.  He was good as a rookie, but I don't see losing him as a big loss (plus I don't think he's a great fit for our new scheme).  There is a reason Hankins is still a free agent, he was OK for us but I don't think he's a big loss.  Simon was good, but he's more of a role player and only played 9 games for us last year -- again, not a big loss (I will miss him more for his motor and seemingly being a good teammate, but we're not losing a star football talent, plus he's still a FA so I wouldn't be shocked if we see him back on the roster at some point).  Melvin played in 10 games for us (which is the 2nd most games he's played in a full season in the 5 years he's been in the NFL), he was pretty good for us, but he's nothing more than an average CB (IMO).  I don't think he's a big loss either.

I'm sure our D will struggle at times, but frankly, I don't see how we're going to be much, if any, worse than last year.  

We will see.  I hope you are right and not me.  Good post. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2018 at 6:21 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Great point......

I may be reading too much into this, but the signing of McNicols and removing KR duties in addition to the PR duties from Hines..... MAY be a show of concern of Hines being a contributor for this team

Do you sign McNichols if Hines is a proven commodity?

IMHO Hine is too small for work on special teams (if he isnt the actual returner)

We kept Ferguson last year......... he saw the field rarely

My "GUT" (most of the time correct) says the coaching staff isnt happy with what they

actually got in Hines......

I hope I am wrong...... I really do

38 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I may be reading too much into this, but the signing of McNicols and removing KR duties in addition to the PR duties from Hines..... MAY be a show of concern of Hines being a contributor for this team

Do you sign McNichols if Hines is a proven commodity?

IMHO Hine is too small for work on special teams (if he isnt the actual returner)

We kept Ferguson last year......... he saw the field rarely

My "GUT" (most of the time correct) says the coaching staff isnt happy with what they

actually got in Hines......

I hope I am wrong...... I really do

Since they signed McNicols to the practice squad and not the active roster, tell your gut it probably has more to do with the RB1 is currently injured, just practiced for the first time today, and has an injury that gets re-aggravated quite easily and the RB2 is suspended for the first 4 games of the season, so the current running back crop is 2 rookies and a journeyman (who has had fumbling problems throughout his career.  people say Hines has a fumbling problem but his fumbles happened in 1 game, Michael has been a consistent fumbling his entire career).   

But sure, Ballard signed a RB to the practice squad, who is on his 3rd team in just over 1 year, does not have an NFL carry in the regular season, has documented issues with maturity and not being able to read defenses all because the fans think Hines had a bad preseason.

13 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Since they signed McNicols to the practice squad and not the active roster, tell your gut it probably has more to do with the RB1 is currently injured, just practiced for the first time today, and has an injury that gets re-aggravated quite easily and the RB2 is suspended for the first 4 games of the season, so the current running back crop is 2 rookies and a journeyman (who has had fumbling problems throughout his career.  people say Hines has a fumbling problem but his fumbles happened in 1 game, Michael has been a consistent fumbling his entire career).   

But sure, Ballard signed a RB to the practice squad, who is on his 3rd team in just over 1 year, does not have an NFL carry in the regular season, has documented issues with maturity and not being able to read defenses all because the fans think Hines had a bad preseason.

You can certainly be condescending can't you....

The fact that McNichols shares the same scat back skill set at least lends some merit to the OP's "gut" feelings....

After all, he didn't bring in a "big" back that shares the same skill set as Turbin or Michael and he didn't sign a burner like Mack....

So again, it does have some potential traction regardless of your condescending tones...

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

You can certainly be condescending can't you....

The fact that McNichols shares the same scat back skill set at least lends some merit to the OP's "gut" feelings....

After all, he didn't bring in a "big" back that shares the same skill set as Turbin or Michael and he didn't sign a burner like Mack....

So again, it does have some potential traction regardless of your condescending tones...

I can be condenscending... that is true.  And my gut tells me they signed him to the practice squad because he has some skills they like and they may need him in an emergency in weeks, 2, 3, or 4 if something happens to Hines, Wilkins or Michael

I'm also usually, although admittedly not always, correct.