Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What a great start to the draft!!

AwesomeAustin

I am super impressed with the draft by Ballard.  Basically got Andrew protection with the first two picks then got a fast linebacker and two pass rushers.  Some may say a few were reaches but I know one thing...Teams are built in the trenches.

Im ready to add some more depth with the rest of the draft but really excited about these first 5 guys.  We definitely have a chance to walk away with a minimum of three quality starters.  That alone is a wing draft. Go Colts!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, coltsnation said:

I liked the emphasis on building up front.  Like the picks of Turay and Smith.

This is what we should focus on... that we are building from the inside - out  Good point.  You have to build a strong foundation FIRST.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure what to think. I'm guessing (listening to the Ballard's press) that they like these 2 rounds of picks, but listening to him, he made a couple of his decisions just off the Senior Bowl game, and not their season or college career. I mean we have the overall 3rd pick because we sucked last season. And for people to say these 5 guys are great picks to start or be great backups behind our own starters, are crazy. Ballard made the mistake by not signing any game changers or elite players during free agency to make our team better, so these draft guys could really learn from. No, these draft picks are learning from a team that had one of the words records last year. I've been a Colts fan since they moved to Indy, but these past couple years, the GM hasn't made any great picks, and certainly some head scratchers. And with the Colts having so much money not to sign anyone, and not taking better players on the board, this year, to me, is going to be another frustrating year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

This is what we should focus on... that we are building from the inside - out  Good point.  You have to build a strong foundation FIRST.

I like what Ballard said about the Dline working in waves.  And Reich said we need more than 5 starters on the Oline, more like 8.

In other words, it pays to have depth on both sides of the line.  

Solid, if not flashy, draft so far.  

40 minutes ago, Bubba_Rebel said:

People that understand winning football and how important depth and quality line play is love this draft... The other people don't. 

It’s because the forum armchair GM’s want flashy names. They believe they can scout players from a TV and the internet and make better decision then staff that get paid a ton of money to go to games, watch players, watch thousands of hours of film and interview players left and right ..... but yeah #fireballardiguess :funny:

• Like 2

You can’t have enough depth and at the end of the day if the prospects become bums then it ain’t my job on the line. I just hope he grabbed some gems to make this team somewhat enjoyable to watch. Love the Nelson pick and hope he brings the nasty. Leonard should be a great WILL and hopefully Smith locks down the RT spot. Interesting to see if they bring CJ in to partner with Mack.

I'll admit to probably having unrealistic expectations about this draft. At the same time I really like the Leonard pick, Nelson is an obviously great talent, and I probably like Tyquan Lewis more than most, I think he'll be the surprise of the draft. As for Braden Smith, he's a pretty polarizing prospect, and I think if anything he'll be an average starter/great depth. Turay is the one I'm really not that familiar with, but Phair/Mathis could really earn their stripes with him.

59 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

It’s because the forum armchair GM’s want flashy names. They believe they can scout players from a TV and the internet and make better decision then staff that get paid a ton of money to go to games, watch players, watch thousands of hours of film and interview players left and right ..... but yeah #fireballardiguess :funny:

But it's not fairrrr i tell youuu Darn ESPN for editing videos of players they deem stars and flashing them when a player is selected. Our players must suck since they didn't get any flashy epic videos...:lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I like what Ballard said about the Dline working in waves.  And Reich said we need more than 5 starters on the Oline, more like 8.

In other words, it pays to have depth on both sides of the line.  

Solid, if not flashy, draft so far.  

Philly proved that depth (waves) on the DL pays off.

i like Ballards approach too.  The guy knows what he's doing.

our OL should look pretty impressive when they break the huddle this year.  Giving Luck even an extra second in the pocket could realistically equate to an extra touchdown or two a game.  Not to mention the improvement thes guards are gonna make in the running game.  So, in some ways, these "non-playmaker" picks will actually make bigger impact players out of our current offensive players.(Luck, TY, Mack, etc). Looking forward to our backs seeing a little space when they hit the line.

And we still have what?... 5 picks left?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

fireballardiguess

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

Yes, teams are built in the trenches.  With good players.  Turay and Lewis, thats really the best we could do?

I just cant take someone serious who keeps his bananas in a bucket.

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

Yes, teams are built in the trenches.  With good players.  Turay and Lewis, thats really the best we could do?

Don't get this post.

They haven't even stepped onto a football field for the Colts yet, why judge now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'll admit to probably having unrealistic expectations about this draft. At the same time I really like the Leonard pick, Nelson is an obviously great talent, and I probably like Tyquan Lewis more than most, I think he'll be the surprise of the draft. As for Braden Smith, he's a pretty polarizing prospect, and I think if anything he'll be an average starter/great depth. Turay is the one I'm really not that familiar with, but Phair/Mathis could really earn their stripes with him.

Im hoping Turay moves into Mathis' guesthouse!

I love this draft bc they are focusing on what is important.  Even if 2 of these player aren’t on the team in 5 years but we get three quality to above average starters the draft will still be a success. I think Nelson will be fantastic and one of the four 2nd rounders will step up and make pro bowls. 

Protect the quarterback then go after their QB.  That’s how you win games. 

• Like 2

I like what Ballard has done so far. He said what his plans were in interviews and is following it.

I wasn't familiar with Kemoko Turay, but an Eagle fan I know said that the Eagles thought Turay was talented with tons of potential. He is a bit raw, but should do well in training. Frank Reich might have had something to do with drafting him.

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I love this draft bc they are focusing on what is important.  Even if 2 of these player aren’t on the team in 5 years but we get three quality to above average starters the draft will still be a success. I think Nelson will be fantastic and one of the four 2nd rounders will step up and make pro bowls. 

Protect the quarterback then go after their QB.  That’s how you win games. 

Yes, I like.

If, through the rest of the draft and our remaining picks, we can get 4 starters that stick out if the draft, that's a grand slam homerun. 

Bill Polian has said an average NFL GM hit just under 50% of the time in drafts.  HOF General Managers hit on 52.5% or  more.  This is 32 teams GM's, hoping to bat better than .500 each year.  And 32 fan bases calling into question their team picks because the read in blogs and seen on TV player X was better than the player they took.

I remember folks being puzzled (including Saints fans) about the Saints trading back up to get Alvin Kamara.  Mark Ingram and Adrian Peterson were on the roster and they wonder how/why Kamara could fit when there were other positions of need and 'better players' still out there.  See how that worked out? There are stories like this for most every team.  I hope our 2108 Colts draft makes all the other stories pale in comparison.

I also heard Gil Brandt and other respected NFL evaluators (now also media analysts, the best, to me are on SiriusXM NFL radio) mention the grade of last half round 1 players down to early 3rd round players wre tighter in overall grade than typical.  And he felt he could make a list of talent in order according to his criteria, but that it doesn't mean anything.  Teams will adress more than just talent and take the guy that 'fits'.  So a guy that is #59 on a list could easily be taken by a team at #34, etc. 

That is one reason Mock drafts are so difficult, to even attempt to do one right, you have to know the mindset of the team GM/Coaches, culture, scheme, and needs for each team to even approximate what they will pick, not just your own. And every pick taken affects every other teams choices right on down the line.  We will know the staus of this draft after 2 years have passed (by / in year 3).

It’s like we’re playing Bridge with Ballard. He doesn’t play well with others, so here’s what he tells us:

“I’m holding all the trumps, so you declare yourself the *, and we win the hand.” 

We don’t know what he knows. Maybe he misses on a pick and they don’t perform. Then we can show our distaste. Right now, none of us know better, so let’s chill out. 

AC, Nelson, Kelly, Mewhort, Smith, Slauson and Good are all potential starters. Thats 7 guys.

Not to mention Swiss Army knife Haegg, and the guy with the highest upside in Clark behind them.

There’s depth and talent. For an O line that’s as oft injured as ours, consider me a fan.

• Like 1