Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What did we just do

Braden Smith is really good. just watch some tape. He was voted SEC blocker of the year. He and Nelson solidify the line for years. Now we just have to keep our fingers crossed that Kelly's concussion situation is OK. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Geez branden smith and Leonard. Seems reaching to me. 

As much as I like both players, especially Leonard, I kinda agree. Really * that the Titans got Landry. Freaking hate that team. I live in Nashville and they are so cocky it's unbelievable. It's like they've forgotten that the Colts used to whoop on them year after year not to long ago. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

The rap on Leonard is that he's undersized. I don't know anything about him. Can he cover TEs?

One of the pluses about Leonard is he has been a tackling machine and that he displayed some great coverage skills at the senior bowl from what's being said.

Part of his scouting report stated "He's athletic enough to compete with backs and long enough to compete with tight ends in man coverage."

I have only seen a little bit of him, but from everything out there he was essentially the best remaining off-ball LB.

I know nothing about Turtay so no comment other than I never saw a mock or whatever that had him as a 2nd rounder. Smith and Leonard are decent picks Smith will compete with Mewhort and Slauson for the RG spot and Leonard I think was a slight reach but we badly needed a LB and he was the best available. 

9 minutes ago, Colts6669 said:

Second rounders should be starters.  Ballard, you picked enough "works in progress" last year.  Can you say Hooker and Q. Wilson.  

Hooker was a great pick and Wilson when he played was good and fits this new D much better. I'm not a big fan of this draft so far but last year was good.While I'm not in love with this draft but we likely got 3 starters this year and at least 3 for he future if Mewhort stays healthy and beats Smith out. Nelson and Leonard will both start Smith could or is good depth and Lewis should be a good rotational DE/DT but Turray is a ??? to me.

Edited by ty4atd

If Mewhort stays healthy?  When is that gonna happen?  That still does not justify that you pass up a Ballard so called ball hawker like Josh Jackson and Harold Landry.  Sorry!  Hey, let's go 0-16 and see how bad Ballard can screw that pick up.  Maybe Baltimore will take the Colts back!

• Thanks 1

So then we got 3 starters, I would have liked Jackson better but our early 2nds will start and the later two will rotate on the DLine and still play plenty of snaps, they are high risk but high reward picks. It's not a A draft but not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be.

14 minutes ago, Colts6669 said:

If Mewhort stays healthy?  When is that gonna happen?  That still does not justify that you pass up a Ballard so called ball hawker like Josh Jackson and Harold Landry.  Sorry!  Hey, let's go 0-16 and see how bad Ballard can screw that pick up.  Maybe Baltimore will take the Colts back!

Christ, you are dramatic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

One of the pluses about Leonard is he has been a tackling machine and that he displayed some great coverage skills at the senior bowl from what's being said.

Part of his scouting report stated "He's athletic enough to compete with backs and long enough to compete with tight ends in man coverage."

I have only seen a little bit of him, but from everything out there he was essentially the best remaining off-ball LB.

The only knock on him is that he's a bit light and lean and his frame might be maxed out.

1 hour ago, Colts6669 said:

How did your Pats do in the draft? 

1 hour ago, Colts6669 said:

Hell even IF Mewhort stays healthy, you can slide Smith out to RT.

Costanzo/Nelson/Kelly/Mewhort/Smith

Potential to be the best O-Line we've had in forever. Certainly since Luck has been here.

Imo, I see the drafting of the guards as step towards a power rushing game and more of a West Coast style offensive scheme.  This should help protect Luck and allow the offense to control the time of possession....plus it hopefully will lead to Indy making 3rd and 2's via the run....something that I have been hopeful for.  I have wanted a smash mouth team for years and we just may be at the cusp of being one.

• Like 1