Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Will Be Luck's Back Up Qb?

King Colt

Twilight Zone Episode: Luck gets the start and is hurt for the season - who is HIS back up? 2-14 again?

After returning from surgery to a Super Bowl Championship season, Peyton Manning surrenders the starting quarterback position and backs up Andrew Luck and wears the headphones as the player OC for the last 3 years of his contract, then he hangs up his cleats and after a short retirement becomes Head Coach of the Tennessee Titans.

You did say Twilight Zone, right?

After returning from surgery to a Super Bowl Championship season, Peyton Manning surrenders the starting quarterback position and backs up Andrew Luck and wears the headphones as the player OC for the last 3 years of his contract, then he hangs up his cleats and after a short retirement becomes Head Coach of the Tennessee Titans.

You did say Twilight Zone, right?

Could be the Saints the way things are going...

who said its Andrew Luck? How do you know that we wont get RG3? Drafts are always full of surprises...

not this draft!!!! lol

if you think there is any competition between Luck and RG3 for irsay, you are dreaming. Luck has been the choice from day 1. and not only that, Irsay moved away from talking about "our future QB" and in the last couple of interviews, started referring to him as "andrew" (probably not even aware he was calling him by name). lol

i don't think Robert Griffin III has "andrew" in his name.

Could always draft Kellen Moore, he will be available around the 5th,6th or 7th round or if he is still available in the 7th wait to sign him as a undrafted FA. wouldnt hurt to have two rookie QB's, one who could put pressure on Luck to push him self to be succesful.

Could always draft Kellen Moore, he will be available around the 5th,6th or 7th round or if he is still available in the 7th wait to sign him as a undrafted FA. wouldnt hurt to have two rookie QB's, one who could put pressure on Luck to push him self to be succesful.

I love the idea of Moore but no way he makes it out of Round 3. I'm thinking he is gone in the 2nd!

Anyways.. my guess is Luck, Orlovsky, and some Vet?

Part of the idea of having a vet back up QB is that he can help teach the rookie QB. Having two rookie QBs just now means you have two rookie QBs to teach and no vet players to help teach.

Hello folks. I'm new here but have been a lifetime Colts / Lions fan. Who will be Luck's backup in the event of a freak injury? Hmmmm....... how about trading a 3rd or 4th round draft pick to the Lions for Drew Stanton? The Lions are considering trading him away. He has a great arm (albeit; he aint no Matthew Stafford) but he can throw into tight spots with accuracy; and he's a lot more mobile then Orlovsky.

I'd like to see Orlovsky back. He played well for certain stretches... well I guess well might be an overstatement, but he is definitely the better option when compared to Painter... please, please let him never wear a colts uni again lol.

In addition to:

Campbell, Flynn, Orton, McNabb, Grossman and Alex Smith

we have:

Chris Redman (ATL)

Derek Anderson (CAR)

Caleb Hanie (CHI)

Josh McCown (CHI)

Shaun Hill (DET)

Drew Stanton (DET)

Brady Quinn (DEN)

David Garrard (FA)

Chad Pennington (FA)

Jake Delhomme (HOU)

Jeff Garcia (HOU)

Dan Orlovsky (IND)

Luke McCown (JAC)

Chad Henne (MIA)

JP Losman (MIA)

Sage Rosenfels (MIA)

David Carr (NYG)

Mark Brunell (NYJ)

Kevin O'Connell (NYJ)

Kyle Boller (OAK)

Vince Young (PHI)

Charlie Batch (PIT)

Dennis Dixon (PIT)

Byron Leftwich (PIT)

Charlie Whitehurst (SEA)

Kellen Clemens (STL)

A.J. Feeley (STL)

Josh Johnson (TB)

Twilight Zone Episode: Luck gets the start and is hurt for the season - who is HIS back up? 2-14 again?

Draft Ryan Lindley in the 6th round. He is a great player with arm strength pocket presence and keeps eyes down feild. He is a perfect backup.

Part of the idea of having a vet back up QB is that he can help teach the rookie QB. Having two rookie QBs just now means you have two rookie QBs to teach and no vet players to help teach.

that i understand, but you could always sign a vet player to be 3rd string, maybe bring back orlovsky he can help alittle. he wasnt to bad last year but then again next to painter he looks like a pro bowler.

that i understand, but you could always sign a vet player to be 3rd string, maybe bring back orlovsky he can help alittle. he wasnt to bad last year but then again next to painter he looks like a pro bowler.

You still have the problem of having to train two rookies. That doesn't make much sense because rookies learn from playing and taking snap which is what you are going to want to give to Luck and not have to have him split them with another rookie so that rookie can learn too. Even then all you are really do is training a QB for somene else because there is next to no chance that rookie is going to sign on to stay with you once his contract is up if he's any good at all because he probably doesn't have a shot at starting here.

Hello folks. I'm new here but have been a lifetime Colts / Lions fan. Who will be Luck's backup in the event of a freak injury? Hmmmm....... how about trading a 3rd or 4th round draft pick to the Lions for Drew Stanton? The Lions are considering trading him away. He has a great arm (albeit; he aint no Matthew Stafford) but he can throw into tight spots with accuracy; and he's a lot more mobile then Orlovsky.

I'm not a fan of that idea at all. I would much rather keep Painter than give away a 3rd or 4th rounder for a back-up.

Orlovsky played well enough to be a viable backup but I also like the idea of having a true vet that has played more then a handful of games. Chad Pennington would be great to support Luck but I don't know if he has anything left in the tank.

Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch would be my guess. Batch would offer veteran leadership and a knowledge of the system, and Dixon knows the system (given it's a similar system). Both are listed as UFAs.

Hopefully, Luck is the backup. I can live either way, but I hope Peyton sticks around.

You still have the problem of having to train two rookies. That doesn't make much sense because rookies learn from playing and taking snap which is what you are going to want to give to Luck and not have to have him split them with another rookie so that rookie can learn too. Even then all you are really do is training a QB for somene else because there is next to no chance that rookie is going to sign on to stay with you once his contract is up if he's any good at all because he probably doesn't have a shot at starting here.

But it also doesnt hurt to have that extra young QB who could possibly be very good, because you dont know if luck could end up having a season ending injury. god forbid it happens.

I'm not a fan of that idea at all. I would much rather keep Painter than give away a 3rd or 4th rounder for a back-up.

I agree. I thought Stanton was a Restricted F/A; but as it turns out, he is an Unrestricted F/A and Stanton said perhaps it's time to think about moving on. So if the front office is interested they can probably pick him up pretty cheap. In my opinion, he's an upgrade from Orlovsky simply for his mobility making him a more then adequate backup; and if the Colts retain Peyton Manning he could develop into a servicable backup to Luck. I believe the Lions drafted him in the 2nd round when they picked him.