Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite Colts Underdog?

Lucky Colts Fan

46 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Who is your favorite underdog in Colts history?

I'm thinking of guys like Jeff Saturday and Gary Brackett who were UDFA and started on our SB team.

Jack Doyle would be a good underdog on our current roster.

Marcus Pollard

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

robert mathis.  discovered by area scouts i believe, the gm had never heard of him

I'd go with Mathis too for the exact same reason you indicated above A11. 

To this day, it still upsets me that Robert got in trouble for taking a banned substance when he & his wife were trying to have a baby. I revere the guy. He walks on water to me. Just saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Can I reverse engineer this thing & go Jim Sorgi for not going in when Peyton got nicked & might have cost INDY her first ring in 2006? LOL! 

I was sweating bullets man. No! No! No! 

Actually, Jeff Saturday talked Manning out of sitting down didn't he? Never mind. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Dominic Rhodes had a Super Bowl performance worthy of the MVP award.

Not bad for an UDFA

Rhodes is a great choice that completely slipped my mind. He was tremendous running in the rain that fateful night in Miami. Major props for that selection TG. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Can I reverse engineer this thing & go Jim Sorgi for not going in when Peyton got nicked & might have cost INDY her first ring in 2006? LOL! 

Actually, Jeff Saturday talked Manning out of sitting down didn't he? Never mind. 

That actually makes me think orlofsky is an option.  He got us a win in a winless season.  

• Like 1

WR Austin Collie drafted in round 4--Pick 127 in the 2009 draft from BYU. 

God, he was a sentimental favorite of mine. He was destined for superstardom until concussions ended his career. 

Collie had great hands, ran crisp routes, & was so dependable when healthy. 

• Like 1

Believe it or not I'd have to say, "John Unitas.  Drafted in the 9th round by the Steelers he was trying to win one of 3 spots at QB, was cut before the season started by Walt Kesling the head coach who said he did not think Unitas was smart enough to play QB   {are you kidding me!) Played semi pro for awhile to help support his family before trying out later for the Colts. Well I think you know the rest of the story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

WR Austin Collie drafted in round 4--Pick 127 in the 2009 draft from BYU. 

God, he was a sentimental favorite of mine. He was destined for superstardom until concussions ended his career. 

Collie had great hands, ran crisp routes, & was so dependable when healthy. 

He was like a reincarnation of Brandon Stokely. Loved the guy. People always say Peyton was so great because he had Marvin and Reggie....but what he did with Austin and Pierre....if players had a little skill and would put in the effort...he would make them great!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Believe it or not I'd have to say, "John Unitas.  Drafted in the 9th round by the Steelers he was trying to win one of 3 spots at QB, was cut before the season started by Walt Kesling the head coach who said he did not think Unitas was smart enough to play QB   {are you kidding me!) Played semi pro for awhile to help support his family before trying out later for the Colts. Well I think you know the rest of the story.

Great story....I think he was on the list for greatest FA of all-time....most don't know that. I only went with more recent guys because I didn't follow the team until they came to Indy....so hard for me to root for an underdog if didn't know them. Good call!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

-When Sorgi started warming up against the Pats, I was like NO, this isn't the way my dream season is going to end haha. Just messing with you because I know you are a Wisconsin guy but still that was our dream season. 10-0 at home overall and 16-4 overall to become World Champs!

-Gary Brackett for my choice baby. Loved the guy, very underrated MLB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

-When Sorgi started warming up against the Pats, I was like NO, this isn't the way my dream season is going to end haha. Just messing with you because I know you are a Wisconsin guy but still that was our dream season. 10-0 at home overall and 16-4 overall to become World Champs!

-Gary Brackett for my choice baby. Loved the guy, very underrated MLB.

Bah! Ha! Ha! I was waiting for somebody to call me out on Sorgi. Totally fair to roast me on that one buddy. :thmup:

I listen to him on the official Colts site though. He's decent. Sorry Jim. Thanks for being a good sport about it. When he went to the G-Men in NY, I was like going from one Manning brother to another. Great work if you can find it. 

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm thinking of guys like Jeff Saturday and Gary Brackett who were UDFA and started on our SB team.

I'd go with Robert Mathis. He was a 5th round pick that went on to become the all-time Colts sack leader... that's hero status right there. Doyle & Saturday would be high on that list as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Curtis Painter!!!!! 

He secured the #1 pick for the Colts in 2012 with his 2011 performance. 

Thank you Sir! 

Lolly, 

That is next level deep man. You deserve some form of compensation for that...money, free tank of gas, or a $1,000 dollar gift card to your favorite restaurant at a bare minimum. 

As much as I slam Painter, you're exactly right. 

• Like 1

T.Y. Hilton 

Since he’s been drafted folks have been saying he’s not a #1 & he’s too small 

He’s now a Top 10 WR in the league and has lead the league in receiving yards. And honestly has been the most consistent person on the roster since 2012 draft

:scoregood:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Hard to believe Mike "Mad Dog" Curtis was drafted in the first round as a Full Back but switched to line backer. Good career move! So the value at drafting a running back in the first round turned out pretty good for them lol

if Mike Curtis stayed at outside LB he would have been a Hall of Famer. The move to MLB cost him that. When you looked atbOLB of that era who landed in Canton, he stacked right up.

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Nobody mentioned Pat McAfee yet? Round 7--Pick 222 in the 2009 draft.

It's hard to call a punter that was actually drafted (even in the 7th) an "underdog", because you have to be a pretty good punter to begin with to actually get drafted.

But considering that he was ALWAYS going to be the 2nd-best special teamer for the Colts (behind Vinny), and the general status of K/P when ranked against "actual" football players...  you could call McAfee an underdog.

This is what makes Patty Mac the ultimate Special Teams underdog:

McAfee.gif

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's hard to call a punter that was actually drafted (even in the 7th) an "underdog", because you have to be a pretty good punter to begin with to actually get drafted.

But considering that he was ALWAYS going to be the 2nd-best special teamer for the Colts (behind Vinny), and the general status of K/P when ranked against "actual" football players...  you could call McAfee an underdog.

This is what makes Patty Mac the ultimate Special Teams underdog:

McAfee.gif

Gosh damn I miss this guy!

On 4/13/2018 at 10:42 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Melvin Bullitt

• Like 2