Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Odell Beckham Situation

It appears that Giants John Mara is beginning to be tired of OBJ’s antics.  He stated that obj recently hasn’t been helping his contract situation.

"I guess my response to that is I'm tired of answering questions about Odell's behavior," Mara added. "He knows what’s expected of him and now it's up to him."

Now I know we have TY, and I also know that we would have to carry two WR’s with heavy contracts.  We all know that TY disappears in games here and there, so what do you all think about swapping him and a 5th for OBJ?  We get a monster of a threat; being able to pay him what he wants.  We would basically be giving up a 5th rd for an elite impact player

21 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

It appears that Giants John Mara is beginning to be tired of OBJ’s antics.  He stated that obj recently hasn’t been helping his contract situation.

"I guess my response to that is I'm tired of answering questions about Odell's behavior," Mara added. "He knows what’s expected of him and now it's up to him."

Now I know we have TY, and I also know that we would have to carry two WR’s with heavy contracts.  We all know that TY disappears in games here and there, so what do you all think about swapping him and a 5th for OBJ?  We get a monster of a threat; being able to pay him what he wants.  We would basically be giving up a 5th rd for an elite impact player

With Mara's comment it sounds more like he is tired of the media asking questions about OBJ being he didn't say a word about any antics.

He stated the obvious. when he said OBJ knows what's expected of him and now it's up to him.

As far as trading TY and a draft pick for him?  No thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tvturner said:

No.

Rather have TY, + 10 other receivers over Odell

The TY disappears talk is a bit exaggerated 

Not sure if your taking the word a little too seriously.  Maybe it’s a bad choice of wording, but no one who really watches the Colts can say that TY does not disappear.  By no means am I saying he isn’t impactful.  Just stating that in multiple sometimes back to back games, he has been shutdown.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Not sure if your taking the word a little too seriously.  Maybe it’s a bad choice of wording, but no one who really watches the Colts can say that TY does not disappear.  By no means am I saying he isn’t impactful.  Just stating that in multiple sometimes back to back games, he has been shutdown.  

Being TY is the only threat it's pretty simple to shut him down by the defenses who either put their best DB on him or double team him. The Colts add that other receiver who poses a threat and TY will once again show his skills.

TY is our long ball threat and our QBs haven't had the time to set those plays up. Thus is why Doyle has the amount of catches he does.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

TY and Jack are the only 2 threats on O.

It's quite easy for Hilton to "disappear" when he gets double teamed weekly. He's not the only receiver like that either

+He had Brissett throwing him the ball last year

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

Man, the number of people here that discount TY and act like he's some B- receiver is truly appalling. 

TY is a gem, and a star in this league. 

Go talk to Julio Jones or AJ Green about "disappearing" in games. It happens to every receiver, even the elite ones.

TY is elite and everyone needs to realize it.

He’s very much of an elite receiver.  It’s just when I look at OBJ, I see an Antonio Brown.  Someone who can constantly beat triple teams, where as TY struggles with double teams...Unless a safety blows his assignment.  There’s both pros and cons to both players.  I was just curious on what everyone thought about it.

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

TY and Jack are the only 2 threats on O.

It's quite easy for Hilton to "disappear" when he gets double teamed weekly. He's not the only receiver like that either

+He had Brissett throwing him the ball last year

Truth to that but we also have to keep in mind that Brissett was the most hit and sacked QB in the league last season. He really didn't have the time or the opportunities to use TY as needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

He’s very much of an elite receiver.  It’s just when I look at OBJ, I see an Antonio Brown.  Someone who can constantly beat triple teams, where as TY struggles with double teams...Unless a safety blows his assignment.  There’s both pros and cons to both players.  I was just curious on what everyone thought about it.

Brown is good, but he's not "consistently beating triple teams." That's literally insane.

That offense is loaded. The best rb in the league in Bell, Ju-Ju, Martavis Bryant, 2 solid tight ends. No defense triple teams Brown except on the rarest of occasions.

The play calling is 100 times better for Pittsburg than it's been for us under Chuck. 

You forget that TY led the entire league in receiving yards with a garbage O-line and an injured Andrew Luck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

I see OBJs talent as well but I also don't see the Giants trading him even with his issues. He is in his last year of his contract and will get a pretty big deal with some team if it's not the Giants. If the Colts are interested in him they will have their chance at the end of this season. Any trade would have to be a sign and trade deal and I don't see that happening. He want's paid and the way he does that is hit the open market.

4 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

Brown is good, but he's not "consistently beating triple teams." That's literally insane.

That offense is loaded. The best rb in the league in Bell, Ju-Ju, Martavis Bryant, 2 solid tight ends. No defense triple teams Brown except on the rarest of occasions.

The play calling is 100 times better for Pittsburg than it's been for us under Chuck. 

You forget that TY led the entire league in receiving yards with a garbage O-line and an injured Andrew Luck. 

With the scheme this year, i’m optimistic TY could again get back to that this year

11 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Ty is very very good. But if we could get Odell for him and just a 5th, I’d do it. Odell is an elite wideout. 

Doesnt matter though because this would never happen. And that’s okay. 

TY is alot better then odell remember had 1000 yards every season besides 2 seasons

13 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Ty is very very good. But if we could get Odell for him and just a 5th, I’d do it. Odell is an elite wideout. 

Doesnt matter though because this would never happen. And that’s okay. 

TY and ODB have very similar career stats. 

ODB has a slight edge, but nothing massive.

I'll take the slight difference in stats for the character and class that TY brings over the drama and hissyfits on the sideline, not to mention the massive avalanche of a contract, that come with ODB.

Gimme TY 100 times out of 100.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

TY is alot better then odell remember had 1000 yards every season besides 2 seasons

No he’s not man, don’t be a homer. I said ty is very very good and he is. But Odell is better. 

10 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

TY and ODB have very similar career stats. 

ODB has a slight edge, but nothing massive.

I'll take the slight difference in stats for the character and class that TY brings over the drama and hissyfits on the sideline, not to mention the massive avalanche of a contract, that come with ODB.

Gimme TY 100 times out of 100.

Talking talent only, Odell is better. He’s going to get that massive contract because he is a top 4 WR in the league. Like I said, this trade would never happen and that’s okay. I’m happy having Ty. I love him. 

• Thanks 1

I created an account for the sole purpose of saying OBJ is night and day superior to TY on the football field.  Not even close.  TY has yo yo stats.  Blows up in a game just to disappear for others.  OBJ is consistently elite.  Think his injury last year is leading folks to forget how good he is.  He propped Eli Manning up as respectable for the past two years prior to his injury.  Scope out how Eli does without OBJ.  Eli has been done for a few years.   Andrew Luck and OBJ would be almost unfair. 

If want to bring up off the field stuff or his character, OK, that’s fair if using that as the reason.  On the field though, OBJ in a landslide.  

• Thanks 1

I’m going to need people to define how Hilton disappears..I mean if he’s continuously  dropping balls when being targeted maybe I could say he’s disappearing..now when the qb doesn’t throw you the ball nor look your way is it you disappearing or the qb being fearful and not trusting thier receiver..when Hilton gets thrown the ball majority of the time it’s caught whether he has to jump and fight for it or not..now if your claiming that the qb isn’t throwing him the ball then you blame that in the qb..when thrown the ball the man produces the thing is we don’t consistently throw him the ball nor use him the way we should and we rarely take advantage of his speed anymore 

8 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

No he’s not man, don’t be a homer. I said ty is very very good and he is. But Odell is better. 

Talking talent only, Odell is better. He’s going to get that massive contract because he is a top 4 WR in the league. Like I said, this trade would never happen and that’s okay. I’m happy having Ty. I love him. 

How is better then ty but ty plays better and has the stats to prove it so before you say he is better then ty when ty almost had 1000 yards without andrew luck

1 hour ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Now there is a guy who has Colt written all over him.  NOT!!!!   hahaha

Nope, too much of a headache. This guy has future suspensions wrote all over him. Hilton just needs someone to pull safeties from playing deep. IF Ebron can live up to his potential that combo could be a nightmare if Ebron lines up wide beside Hilton. I would have been happier with Allen Robinson and not giving up anyone tbh.

Lol... first people hilariously  placed T.Y in Reggie and Marvin’s class , and now he’s better than OBJ too?! Hell , why not Jerry Rice while we’re at it?

If you’d rather have Hilton because of OBJ’s supposed character issues , fine , I can understand that.

But to say he’s actually a better player than Odell? That is insane.

• Like 2

This reeks of homerism.  TY is not in the same league as Odell.  He also is not a beacon of team first mentality.  I would make that trade in a second if Odell if contract situation was equal.  Every time TY celebrates a touchdown when we are down 3 touchdowns and no chance of coming back I vomit a little bit.  I cant stand guys who are happy about personal achievements when your losing.  

Yea TY isn't called the Ghost for nothin. He is a really good player but the elite find a way to either get open or make the most out their opportunities. Agree that all recievers have bad games though, TY gets shut down. ODB would not work well in our locker room and would not fit the culture C Ball likes so this trade would never happen. An ego as his belongs in the big city. We will see this coming season i suppose.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

I'll take things that have a less than zero percent chance of happening for a $1000 Alex.

Several things that make this a never gonna happen thing.  First the trade you suggest does not come close to enough for what the Giants would want.  If "we know that TY disappears in games here or there", don't you think the Giants know this as well?

From the Colts side, I think OBJ is exactly the type of player that Ballard would want no part of.  He would be ridiculously expensive and is head ache.  The talent is undeniable but the headache is migraine level.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Lol ppl passing on Odell? Thought I’ve seen it all

Most ppl on this forum don't want a player unless they're squeaky clean. It's always no because of their attitudes or they're a headcase, or a "drama queen", etc. Fact is sometimes you're gonna have to take the bad with the good.

• Like 1

I wont even touch the who is better and how portion of this thread, but I will say trading a home grown talent in TY, one who worked his way up the food chain and was rewarded accordingly for a guy that has had some drama issues from another team would send a hella' bad message to the players in the Colts locker room, it would read something like this, "we don't care what you've done for us, we are willing to drop you like a hot potato just to name grab at any moment, now get out there and put it on the line for us" ...........

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Head case.

42 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Most ppl on this forum don't want a player unless they're squeaky clean. It's always no because of their attitudes or they're a headcase, or a "drama queen", etc. Fact is sometimes you're gonna have to take the bad with the good.

Do you take the good with the bad when some of the bad includes having to pay him to be the highest paid WR in the game?  That is what comes with this proposal.  

Ballard seems to have, and to me rightfully so, an aversion to making such financial commitments to guys who are not homegrown Colts.  

5 hours ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

O gosh please NO! 

He is going to be an over paid diva who brings nothing but drama! Sooner or later these guys need to be slapped down so they don’t keep screwing up and making a bad name for the NFL. I would trade his butt so fast.

• Like 1