Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard explains free agency strategy.

dgambill

He has a plan and is sticking to his plan.  I like that.  We ,ight still find out as time goes on that we don't draft as well as we would like and this plan doesn't quite work out.  A reality of any plan.

But in the end I do agree with the approach.  This will be his second draft.  After his fourth draft and into the fourth season under Ballard I think we will know.

It's a great plan, as long as he finds a way to protect Luck.  He's a brilliant guy, he knows he can't make the same mistakes as the last GM.

So, if his plan is to use the same pieces as last season, then the offense really needs to be quick strike.  Extremely quick strike.  The way the Patriots do it, that will stifle a pass rush.

I'm still hoping he finds an upgrade or two for the Oline before the draft.

I'd rather a GM go this route than spending a ton in free agency.  Signing players to big contracts in FA is just as much a crap shoot as the draft, the only difference is, one has a much bigger impact on the salary cap going forward.  I'm not saying you never want to sign players to big contracts via free agency.  Just that you don't want to build through it.  If you are knocking on the door as a super bowl contender and you are looking for that one player (or two perhaps) that will take you that extra step, then that's different.  But when you've got all the holes we got, you don't just go and sign whoever is the highest rated player(s) that year and think you're good going forward.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.  

The colts are trying to build a core through the draft. If they give out big contracts to these 27-28 year old players, most of those guys will be reaching their decline once the drafted players reach their prime. I'd rather have the money then than now.

Also, this was a weak FA class. Norwell is good, but a guard was still the best player available.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i hope luck doesnt retire before the team is any good.  id rather see us doing more right now

That's what I have been basically saying for the past 5 days that this strategy is smart if you don't already have a franchise QB I agree I would rather use some of that money and get a few guys that will probably help this team next season you can do that and then if you have a good draft then the team may have some success the next year I still don't get this it makes no sense whatsoever to have the cap space and not use it. Like Ballard says he wont overspend for free agents accept he contradicted himself when he over paid Autry so that statement still makes no sense.

9 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

The colts are trying to build a core through the draft. If they give out big contracts to these 27-28 year old players, most of those guys will be reaching their decline once the drafted players reach their prime. I'd rather have the money then than now.

Also, this was a weak FA class. Norwell is good, but a guard was still the best player available.

That and this is a deep guard draft as well.

Regardless if you agree with his plan or not (I do agree) , at least he friggin’ has one. How many directionless Franchises do we see in the NFL? 

Like, someone tell me what the hell they think Miami is doing? What’s their plan? What’s their direction? Who do they want to be?... I mean, check out their free agency moves of the last 3-4 years.

At least we know.

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

That's what I have been basically saying for the past 5 days that this strategy is smart if you don't already have a franchise QB I agree I would rather use some of that money and get a few guys that will probably help this team next season you can do that and then if you have a good draft then the team may have some success the next year I still don't get this it makes no sense whatsoever to have the cap space and not use it. Like Ballard says he wont overspend for free agents accept he contradicted himself when he over paid Autry so that statement still makes no sense.

And Autry's contract should have been for how much?

Once again, nobody is asking Ballard to blow the bank on FA’s. Ppl keep posting “Ballard’s Free Agency Strategy” as of it’s going to change people’s opinions. Then you guys keep throwing the money argument out here like the Colts have none. 

Ppl who disagree with his inaction thus far ate concerned about Andrew Luck having to once again play behind a line that will get him beat up. They don’t really care about not getting the Honey Badger or someone like that. Paying a little bit for proven OL to protect your Franchise QB is what some here wanted.

Building through the draft is great and I hope it works out. However, at this point ppl have the right to question the inactivity 

3 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Regardless if you agree with his plan or not (I do agree) , at least he friggin’ has one. How many directionless Franchises do we see in the NFL? 

Like, someone tell me what the hell they think Miami is doing? What’s their plan? What’s their direction? Who do they want to be?... I mean, check out their free agency moves of the last 3-4 years.

At least we know.

its probably because of regime changes

Ballard said his strategy of staying quiet in free agency was conscious, despite getting outbid for several players.

What sense does that make?  Had you not been outbid or had they chosen Indy over other destinations, you wouldn't have been quiet in free agency.  

Essentially, free agents are choosing to go elsewhere, leaving you with no other choice.  Let's not pretend it's anything else.

26 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The idea that we are NOT looking for Some success Next Year appears way over your head.
That you know how to build a contender and he doesn't, yes, that makes no sense,

What he is doing is what has been done before, it is tried and true.
Welcome to the NFL.
You have not seen Autry play a single down for us and you KNOW he is not worth his contract.
Buddy, you are a real case.

39 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i hope luck doesnt retire before the team is any good.  id rather see us doing more right now

I hope he also doesn't wind up on IR again and back under the knife.  So far nothing on the OL and that scares me but he says he has a plan so I would expect some major upgrades are still on the way.  

Don't count Ballard out of the FA market until after the roster cut-downs. There will be opportunities to pick up another good, young player or two then. Look for the Colts to be on the prowl for those "scheme fit" cuts that would be a better fit with the Colts than the team that cuts them. Ballard is playing the long game, and having an eye for talent, along with some pre-season tape of these guys against NFL-caliber opposition, there might be some interesting developmental pick-ups to be found. 

We'll fill FA with a lot of mid-lower FA types. With the cap carrying over and 3 extra 2nds in the next two years, I'm not too concerned about the FA situation anymore. This could be just the tip of the iceberg as well as far as obtaining draft picks. The Bills could be ripe for the picking if a certain QB they want falls to 6. The Hankins release bugged me a bit, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

51 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Don't count Ballard out of the FA market until after the roster cut-downs. There will be opportunities to pick up another good, young player or two then. Look for the Colts to be on the prowl for those "scheme fit" cuts that would be a better fit with the Colts than the team that cuts them. Ballard is playing the long game, and having an eye for talent, along with some pre-season tape of these guys against NFL-caliber opposition, there might be some interesting developmental pick-ups to be found. 

Agreed. Those cuts don't count against compensatory picks too. Also as bad as everyone wants to turn things around quickly look at the Saints last year. They had extra picks early and those rookies were a huge reason they turned that franchise around. I don't expect it to happen that fast but the next two years drafts can set up the next 10 years for Luck and company. Fill in the extra with system fits from other teams...guys that get cut later but you immediately eliminate half the teams around the league because their cap is used up and Ballard is ready for the long game.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Those cuts don't count against compensatory picks too. Also as bad as everyone wants to turn things around quickly look at the Saints last year. They had extra picks early and turned those rookies were a huge reason they turned that franchise around. I don't expect it to happen that fast but the next two years drafts can set up the next 10 years for Luck and company. Fill in the extra with system fits from other teams...guys that get cut later but you immediately eliminate half the teams around the league because their cap is used up and Ballard is ready for the long game.

I would love to be in the compensatory pick market every year from next year on as well. If Ballard can get us in the same company as the Pats, Ravens, Packers, and Broncos in that regard, then we are in good company. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Once again, nobody is asking Ballard to blow the bank on FA’s. Ppl keep posting “Ballard’s Free Agency Strategy” as of it’s going to change people’s opinions. Then you guys keep throwing the money argument out here like the Colts have none. 

Ppl who disagree with his inaction thus far ate concerned about Andrew Luck having to once again play behind a line that will get him beat up. They don’t really care about not getting the Honey Badger or someone like that. Paying a little bit for proven OL to protect your Franchise QB is what some here wanted.

Building through the draft is great and I hope it works out. However, at this point ppl have the right to question the inactivity 

Completely agree.  So many needs and so much money and you won't fork over the money to fill a couple of them with some high quality FA's.  

And OL is by far the most critical.  Andrew Luck missed an entire season due to injury.  Presuming he's returning for next year, the Ballard plan is to protect him either with some of the worst starters in the entire league or a line full of rookies?  Crap Ballard hasn't even brought back Mewhort yet which might help to give the line a little bit of experience.

And don't get me wrong I hope we draft some great OL, but rookies make mistakes, they miss assignments.  

Then you have other spots like linebacker or CB where one really good FA could make a huge and immediate impact.  

I was in the camp for being active in Free Agency, simply because we have Luck, and with him we're always a contender. I am still of the opinion that you can build a team through A) Draft; B) Free Agency; C) Trade. Ballard may see things differently.

It doesn't matter what our opinions are. Ballard is gong to do what he sees right for the team. I'm going to sit back and watch and not worry any more. He'll either get it right or he won't. We'll have to sit back and watch. No point in getting into arguments with fellow Colts fans over something we have no control over.

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would love to be in the compensatory pick market every year from next year on as well. If Ballard can get us in the same company as the Pats, Ravens, Packers, and Broncos in that regard, then we are in good company. 

Yeah...you only end up in that market if your losing players more than your bringing in. If that is the case your roster is such that we don't need to be bringing in high priced free agents to compete. We have that in house and we simply need to keep the life blood (draft) flowing. 

11 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Completely agree.  So many needs and so much money and you won't fork over the money to fill a couple of them with some high quality FA's.  

And OL is by far the most critical.  Andrew Luck missed an entire season due to injury.  Presuming he's returning for next year, the Ballard plan is to protect him either with some of the worst starters in the entire league or a line full of rookies?  Crap Ballard hasn't even brought back Mewhort yet which might help to give the line a little bit of experience.

And don't get me wrong I hope we draft some great OL, but rookies make mistakes, they miss assignments.  

Then you have other spots like linebacker or CB where one really good FA could make a huge and immediate impact.  

You are among the ____ ____ that want to go big and finish 8-8. lmao
Irsay expects something much different. And Ballard is doing his best to do it the right way.
Not like a bunch of silly, Fake, arm chair GM's here would do. Let's Hope we draft 1st next year.

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I was in the camp for being active in Free Agency, simply because we have Luck, and with him, we're always a contender. I am still of the opinion that you can build a team through A) Draft; B) Free Agency; C) Trade. Ballard may see things differently.

It doesn't matter what our opinions are. Ballard is gong to do what he sees right for the team. I'm going to sit back and watch and not worry any more. He'll either get it right or he won't. We'll have to sit back and watch. No point in getting into arguments with fellow Colts fans over something we have no control over.

Ballard targeted and signed a DE early in the process. It just wasn't a name everyone was familiar with. He will add some more. He is looking to shop for guys at the right price. The market was well over priced the first week. When you pay A money to bring in B stars all that does is make guys internally disgruntled as well. Imagine TY and how upset he would be if someone like Moncrief gets resigned at almost TYs salary...or that we bring in a guy like Crabtree for the same as him. I agree with Luck this team is a 500 team at worst regardless....but to treat it like we are on the verge of the SB is foolish. We have no depth and we need to strengthen a lot of areas. The next couple drafts will do this if Ballard does a good job. Luck can play until he is 40 in this new NFL so we have plenty of time to make a long run with him. We got set back due to the last GM...we are digging out and moving forward. It stinks but its the right thing to do. No short cuts. I'm not too concerned with starting youth and know there will be growing pains but I do want to see us ad a couple weapons to the offense for Luck. I don't mind watching young guys playing hard and losing...but I don't want to see Luck having to play hero ball this year. Give him some help at wr etc so that he can get rid of it and let them try to make things happen. At least put up enough points to keep us tuned in.

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ballard targeted and signed a DE early in the process. It just wasn't a name everyone was familiar with. He will add some more. He is looking to shop for guys at the right price. (#1) The market was well over priced the first week. When you pay A money to bring in B stars all that does is make guys internally disgruntled as well. (#2) Imagine TY and how upset he would be if someone like Moncrief gets resigned at almost TYs salary...or that we bring in a guy like Crabtree for the same as him. I agree with Luck this team is a 500 team at worst regardless....(#3) but to treat it like we are on the verge of the SB is foolish. We have no depth and we need to strengthen a lot of areas. The next couple drafts will do this if Ballard does a good job.(#4) Luck can play until he is 40 in this new NFL so we have plenty of time to make a long run with him. We got set back due to the last GM...we are digging out and moving forward. It stinks but its the right thing to do. No short cuts. I'm not too concerned with starting youth and know there will be growing pains but I do want to see us ad a couple weapons to the offense for Luck. I don't mind watching young guys playing hard and losing...(#5) but I don't want to see Luck having to play hero ball this year. Give him some help at wr etc so that he can get rid of it and let them try to make things happen. At least put up enough points to keep us tuned in.

Thanks for the reply. I'll reply to the items as numbered:

#1: Free Agency is an expensive game, year-in and year-out. There isn't a year where it's not expensive. You do your best to navigate the dangers of Free Agency, you do your due diligence on the players to be acquired, and then you decide if you want to play the game or not. The market will dictate the value of a player. A highly sought after Guard in next year's Free Agency will use Norwell's contract as leverage. And the market will go up from there, essentially making Norwell's contract cheaper this year then waiting for someone with similar skill set next year. Rolling the money over to next year prolongs the inevitable.

#2) Players publicly have been disgruntled with high contracts handed out to other players, and they have publicly applauded it as well because they know when they are ready to negotiate a contract, they will have more leverage. T.Y. may be disgruntled initially (immature to be if you ask me, it's a business) but in the end he knows it will work out in his benefit.

#3) I believe this to be a straw-man argument. I stated with Luck we are a contender, which in my opinion, is a team that can make the playoffs. But I specifically did not state that we are on the verge of a SB. I don't think we are currently. To me, the question is "how de we become one?" and Ballards answer is through the draft. I'm fine with that, but it's not my preference.

#4) I certainly hope that Luck can play until he is 40. But if we were to look at things objectively, we know that he's taken a beating. He has missed something like 26 games in the last 2-3 years? In his absence last year, Jacoby Brisett took a beating. Of course, with new coaching and scheme, we are all hopeful that this changes.

#5) I'm with you. Let's build around Luck and give him some support.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The idea that we are NOT looking for Some success Next Year appears way over your head.
That you know how to build a contender and he doesn't, yes, that makes no sense,

What he is doing is what has been done before, it is tried and true.
Welcome to the NFL.
You have not seen Autry play a single down for us and you KNOW he is not worth his contract.
Buddy, you are a real case.

He was never a starter yet he is worth a big contract like that welcome back to earth.

38 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'll reply to the items as numbered:

#1: Free Agency is an expensive game, year-in and year-out. There isn't a year where it's not expensive. You do your best to navigate the dangers of Free Agency, you do your due diligence on the players to be acquired, and then you decide if you want to play the game or not. The market will dictate the value of a player. A highly sought after Guard in next year's Free Agency will use Norwell's contract as leverage. And the market will go up from there, essentially making Norwell's contract cheaper this year then waiting for someone with similar skill set next year. Rolling the money over to next year prolongs the inevitable.

#2) Players publicly have been disgruntled with high contracts handed out to other players, and they have publicly applauded it as well because they know when they are ready to negotiate a contract, they will have more leverage. T.Y. may be disgruntled initially (immature to be if you ask me, it's a business) but in the end he knows it will work out in his benefit.

#3) I believe this to be a straw-man argument. I stated with Luck we are a contender, which in my opinion, is a team that can make the playoffs. But I specifically did not state that we are on the verge of a SB. I don't think we are currently. To me, the question is "how de we become one?" and Ballards answer is through the draft. I'm fine with that, but it's not my preference.

#4) I certainly hope that Luck can play until he is 40. But if we were to look at things objectively, we know that he's taken a beating. He has missed something like 26 games in the last 2-3 years? In his absence last year, Jacoby Brisett took a beating. Of course, with new coaching and scheme, we are all hopeful that this changes.

#5) I'm with you. Let's build around Luck and give him some support.

I agree mostly with you. Ballard just didn't feel comfortable giving that kind of money to anyone in this free agency. Said he went after a few but wasn't willing to go that high. Every FA is different. I think this year we had a very shallow class and honestly not very good group. It's like the draft....look at 2013...it was awful...and many teams felt that way. Sometimes just based on who is set to come available and the group of rookies coming off contracts etc just means some years are better than others. I think Ballard thought there were a few worthy players to go after but when he saw the money for these guys get to where they were being paid top 3 in the league...he said pass. I'll save it for when a real star is out there and pay them. I don't really think anyone out there were worth their contracts and I think he felt the same. Next year he may see someone worth over paying but this class was pretty weak...and we all recognized that when we were so wrapped up in only one or two players because we all saw after them there wasn't much worth signing. I think next years market will be different...and he will just roll this money into it. I think when he sees this team as a playoff caliber team then he will deem it worth going out and overspending to get those key last players needed to get over the hump...until then he's sitting on it. Ballard will spend when the situation is right. We are just so early in the rebuild and this FA was so weak that guys that are not even close to being #1 wrs like Watkins are getting paid like Julio Jones he wasn't going to be the one to do it. So he will wait...and overspend another day. I too hope we protect Luck and we get through this year healthy. I think this team is poised to be a major contender in 2020 if we do things right.

2 hours ago, #12. said:

What sense does that make?  Had you not been outbid or had they chosen Indy over other destinations, you wouldn't have been quiet in free agency.  

Essentially, free agents are choosing to go elsewhere, leaving you with no other choice.  Let's not pretend it's anything else.

Nonsense. If a free agent decides to go to a team that is closer to winning a ring that is one thing but saying no players want to come to Indy just because it's Indy is wrong, dead wrong.

It's sad some of the Colts fans fall for the negative media's horse dung.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Those cuts don't count against compensatory picks too. Also as bad as everyone wants to turn things around quickly look at the Saints last year. They had extra picks early and those rookies were a huge reason they turned that franchise around. I don't expect it to happen that fast but the next two years drafts can set up the next 10 years for Luck and company. Fill in the extra with system fits from other teams...guys that get cut later but you immediately eliminate half the teams around the league because their cap is used up and Ballard is ready for the long game.

The Saint's already had a decent defense and a pretty good base to work with. They also had an experienced super bowl winning head coach. Lots of differences between the two from that point of view.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...you only end up in that market if your losing players more than your bringing in. If that is the case your roster is such that we don't need to be bringing in high priced free agents to compete. We have that in house and we simply need to keep the life blood (draft) flowing. 

Exactly. That is what Ballard is trying to get done.

To get that done we have to go through what we are doing right now.

Like most everybody else I was hoping we would get a a few of the top tier free agents ... especially on OL. 

I think Ballard would have liked to get a couple as well, and obviously he tried and we were in the mix for a couple of them, but at some point you have to draw a line in the sand on price and go to plan B.  I might have opted to go ahead and pay one or two of the younger FAs, but I understand the strategy behind Ballard's plan as well.

We all see how bad the OL looked last year ... do you not think Ballard, Irsay, and the new coaching staff seen it as well. So you have to assume there is a "plan B" that still protects Luck that everyone was on board with.  If you look at the available free agent list there are still plenty of OL available that can be brought in and be good bridge players for a year or 2 (and there is also the possibility that one of our guys will make the jump).  Between the FA OL still available, the players we have, and those we potentially draft I believe we can still put together a good OL ... maybe very good, especially if the new scheme is OL friendly.

This applies to other positions as well ... there are still a ton of FAs, and then there will be cuts.

I tend to be on the more critical and cynical side, but the level of over overreaction on the forum right now is so over the top I can't even get on board with it. I will definitely be watching to see if Ballard's plan does not seem to be working as planned, but let's at least wait until we see how Ballard's plan unfolds through FA and the draft; and how the final roster looks (maybe even the preseason) before we get the torches and pitchforks out.

I don't mind him sticking to his guns by not overpaying but it wouldn't hurt to spend big money on ONE key player to help solidify the line and free up a need. It's mind blowing to me. Grigson puts a note on his desk "protect luck" but doesn't. Now Ballard comes into a situation where Luck is injured for an entire season, 2 of our key linemen get injured and now he's going to depend on rookies to step up?!?! Ballard better make a hard push to sign Pouncey or I'll lose some faith in him.

I will say....it's tough to swallow but its the best thing to do given the position the franchise was in when he took over. My only regret is that I would love to beat the Patriots and Tom Brady one more time before he retires and that might not happen with this time table. Oh well.

5 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Ya I’m not really concerned about FA outside of getting Luck some protection. If we had to pay 14M out of our 72M for Norwell or Solder so Luck gets sacked 10 times less each season I’d do it in a heartbeat. 

7 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I concur

Everyone seems to agree that this year's FA group is pretty underwhelming, yet people want Ballard to go out and pay top dollar for some very ordinary players.  You have to remember that if these guys were guaranteed starters, their original franchise wouldn't have let them go to FA.  Use the draft to build your team for the future, while adding a couple of FA to build some depth.

For every guy available as a FA there are at least a couple of better guys available through the draft.

11 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'd rather a GM go this route than spending a ton in free agency.  Signing players to big contracts in FA is just as much a crap shoot as the draft, the only difference is, one has a much bigger impact on the salary cap going forward.  I'm not saying you never want to sign players to big contracts via free agency.  Just that you don't want to build through it.  If you are knocking on the door as a super bowl contender and you are looking for that one player (or two perhaps) that will take you that extra step, then that's different.  But when you've got all the holes we got, you don't just go and sign whoever is the highest rated player(s) that year and think you're good going forward.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.  

This is why the Jaguars are gonna collapse from their current throne in 3 years. It’s some time, but their FA frenzy will catch up with them. 

That being said, they will still have Smith, Ramsey, Fournette, and M Jack. Once that time rolls around, Ballard the Builder will have us in the playoffs if we aren’t in them in 2 years, or possibly this year if we manage a good draft and our oline actually protects Luck.