stitches

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, CF4L said:

If we win the SB I really don't care who gets the credit most Colts fans wouldn't.

I just think its laughable how Irsay seems to want to recreate the glory years he found disappointment in for only winning 1 SB.

Hey I wanted more too but I also know winning an SB isn't easy. Ask Frank he waited for last week all his life. 

Not entirely true ... he was on the Colts coaching staff in 2006, as I understand it.  Thus, two SBs as a coach.

4 minutes ago, AlanNC said:

Welcome back Frank. So happy you got the job.  I wanted him all along.  Never wanted that other guy anyway.

Awesome.  I did want the "other guy" but now that it's over, I'm ready to climb aboard the bandwagon.  Got an empty seat?

p.s. All in.......

This interesting article is about how Reich, Petererson, and Eagles WR coach Al Groh created the Super Bowl-winning play call (TD to Ertz) and is a fun read about the creativity and collaboration that goes creating the plays we see on the field, plus extra writing at the end about Reich's hire

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/11/eagles-super-bowl-zach-ertz-touchdown-wristband-145-mmqb-peter-king

Granted, its from Patriot FanBoy Peter King, but there were some nice nuggets about Reich:

On Reich's hiring: "But then the Josh McDaniels jilting story happened, and the Colts had to star their coach search again. Four days into it, on Sunday, GM Chris Ballard settled on Reich. I’m told owner Jim Irsay happily approved."  (so Peter King and Brad Wells have different sources)

On Reich's demeanor: "They needed an ego-less partner for Ballard, and they needed a lead for a team that’s going to change a lot over the next two or three years. There could be lean times. Reich is an eternal optimist, a small offensive planner, and a steady guy who’s not going to spooked by a four-game losing streak. Which, Ballard knows, there could be in the next couple of years in a rising AFC South. This is a good choice."

Feeling better about Reich hire the more I hear about him!  Let's get Luck healthy and do this.

Side note: you may notice how the sidebar headline on SI article reads :

"Frank Reich agrees to terms to become Colts new head coach"

hours AFTER he's signed a contract, and the Colts never used that language in their announcement. Can't decide if I'm paranoid or maybe somebody at SI is having more fun at the Colt's expense.  <Sigh> 

George Bremer  
George Bremer 

@gmbremer

One Xs and Os point regarding Reich. He spent most of his playing career in Buffalo’s K-Gun offense. Interested to see if he incorporates elements of that scheme to take advantage of Luck’s improvisational skills and comfort with the hurry-up attack. #Colt

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Thats what i love about the Reich hire. Hes got such a diverse level of experiences with high powered offenses and top shelf QBs

I listened to a Greg Cosell interview last week and he was asked about Reich. He made the exact same point - he has not only incredible depth of Xs and Os knowledge, but also very expansive breadth of Xs and Os knowledge since he's worked with multiple different systems. His only Q was if he would be a good playcaller.  

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

I listened to a Greg Cosell interview last week and he was asked about Reich. He made the exact same point - he has not only incredible depth of Xs and Os knowledge, but also very expansive breadth of Xs and Os knowledge since he's worked with multiple different systems. His only Q was if he would be a good playcaller.  

The playcalling remains to be seen, but as far as design goes I always thought Phillys plays were designed well.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

The playcalling remains to be seen, but as far as design goes I always thought Phillys plays were designed well.

I have seen several charger fans who werent in love with his play calling but that could be said about any coach. Even HOF coaches. Either way it probably doesnt matter, I doubt he will be the type who wants to call the plays. He probably will stick to his strong suite of game planning tirelessly as he has been described to do.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Curious as to the 5 year contract? I'm thinking first three full guaranteed with years 4/5 as team options? 

That sounds about right.

Kind of puts an end to the talk of a short term contract waiting on Jim Harbaugh and or Peyton Manning I was reading about earlier I would think.

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Not entirely true ... he was on the Colts coaching staff in 2006, as I understand it.  Thus, two SBs as a coach.

It seems being an intern in the NFL is not being on the coaching staff or on the payroll of the team. They are paid by the Players Association at a rate of $12 per hour. Thus the lack of a super bowl ring. If he indeed does have one it would have been a gift from Irsay much like Edge's was.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

George Bremer  
George Bremer 

@gmbremer

One Xs and Os point regarding Reich. He spent most of his playing career in Buffalo’s K-Gun offense. Interested to see if he incorporates elements of that scheme to take advantage of Luck’s improvisational skills and comfort with the hurry-up attack. #Colt

Times where Luck has run the no-huddle/hurry-up offense, it seems like things go really smoothly and the offense flows well.  I'd love to see more of it

8. I think, by the way, I heard something very interesting about Luck on Wednesday: McDaniels walking away from the Colts has given Luck a shot of motivational adrenaline that he didn’t have before Tuesday. Not that it’s going to make him work extra hard in rehab from his shoulder injury. But that every time the Colts play the Patriots (starting in 2018, assuming Luck is healthy enough to play), it’s going to be a mega-game for Luck. This basically is along the lines of, So you decided we weren’t good enough for you? Okay. We’ll see what happens when we meet again.

From MMQB's latest article^

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/11/eagles-super-bowl-zach-ertz-touchdown-wristband-145-mmqb-peter-king

BTW I know it's a long one, but it's very much worth reading it. I see that noone has commented on the link I posted previously, so I will urge you guys to give it a read when you have the time. It shows an insight into the quite elaborate process of researching, selecting, developing and installing plays that Reich was a part of in Philadelphia. That plus that quote above from King on Luck.  

Marv Levy: Frank Reich a 'great teacher' whose preparation is 'incredible'

“I was pulling very hard for him to get the job,” Levy said. “This guy is not only a great teacher and coach, he’s such a great guy that he’ll work so well with everybody in the organization. He’s a high-character individual. He will study like you can’t believe and his preparation will be incredible. I’m thrilled that he is there.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/22770/frank-reich-is-a-great-teacher-and-coach-whose-preparation-is-incredible

I like this because hopefully that means our team won't be unprepared like they used to be.

20 hours ago, Indeee said:

I was torn between Reich and Campbell actually. Neither really made me go wow. I guess I would've went with Campbell based on seemingly more of a fiery personality. Idk... I'm just afraid we won't have any emotional leaders on this team from players or coaches and that scares me. If we win a lot than that may be all the motivation that we need but if we struggle I'm not sure who can light a fire to keep the players burning. This team has lacked a killer instinct for a long time, I'm tired of that

Yeah Jim" PLAY OFFS "Mora was fiery & could light a fire but it took the calm & collected Tony Dungy to Win a SB .

20 hours ago, Indeee said:

Luck congradulates guys on great hits...against him. I love Luck, but an emotional leader he is not, nor will ever be

Yes he does & it blows there minds &  he gets fired up IMO he is an Emotional Leader he is one of the biggest cheerleaders when his teammates are successful .

1 hour ago, ZAZA418 said:

Did Reich have play calling duties in Philly? I thought Doud Pederson called plays. So how much control does an OC who isn't the play caller really have?

He didn't have playcalling duties, but was heavily involved in gameplanning. I doubt he will call plays here and I'm absolutely ok with that.