Indeee

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

I would love this hire. People may call it underwhelming but I remember the same thing being said when Doug Pederson took over the Eagles.

But that's not a good enough reason.

'Another guy no one wanted turned out pretty good. That means this guy no one wants will be good, too.'

Traits, qualities, resume, history, etc. Not perception. I'm not impressed by Campbell in the least. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

But that's not a good enough reason.

'Another guy no one wanted turned out pretty good. That means this guy no one wants will be good, too.'

Traits, qualities, resume, history, etc. Not perception. I'm not impressed by Campbell in the least. 

All of the quality head coaches had to have started out fresh somewhere, no? We're digging at the bottom of the barrel here at this point.

4 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

All of the quality head coaches had to have started out fresh somewhere, no? We're digging at the bottom of the barrel here at this point.

We're definitely up the creek, but there are a lot of good candidates still available. I need to put in some work on Campbell, but right now, I don't think much of him. If I made a list of 10 guys right now and had to include him, he'd be 10th. 

And those guys who started somewhere usually had something special about them. Campbell is big and loud. Not enough for me.

Tell me about Sean McVay being considered one of the brightest offensive minds in the league. Or tell me about Doug Pederson being one of the most thorough and prepared guys in the building. 

FRom what I can tell, Campbell has the potential to be a slightly upgraded version over Pagano. Much of the same traits, a leader of men etc.

But you have to ask yourself: Are we hiring for a military boot camp or a football team?

If Ballard goes with him, he damn better have a bright, creative OC to partner him with, or we’re going nowhere, fast.

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Maybe not...

I think Ballard wanted a Patriot offense and a Seattle defensive scheme originally.

So now he says, lets just build the seattle offense and defense with a guy like Campbell leading the troops. Dans presence at least the way he looks is tough guy and Ballard wants that. I'm good with it, I'm tired of player Coaches which is what Reich and frazier seem to be

Campbell

Bevell

Eberflus

Lets do this

If I had to bet, I would bet on this too. Campbell, while not as accomplished as a player as Vrabel, seems to carry himself the same way with the players and I think that's one of the main qualities Ballard is looking for.

1 hour ago, Clem-Dog said:

It will take Ballard more than one offseason to build his coaching staff and I'm willing to remain very patient at this point. 

I've read from reliable sources that Campbell is intelligent, contrary to the belief that he isn't.  I wouldn't mind if Ballard hired him.

where did you hear he was intelligent?  I really hope he is but there are plenty of negative things to dig up on him as well.   the below sure didn't last long

2. The Dolphins should hire Dan Campbell as their permanent head coach

Competition, passion and change were just a few buzz words heard at Dolphins HQ this week after interim coach Dan Campbell took over for the fired Joe Philbin. And after Miami pounded the Tennessee Titans 38-10 on the road, there’s a new sense of optimism surrounding the franchise.

“I think Dan energized us,” quarterback Ryan Tannehill said after the game.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

I was also favoring Reich but the more I read , the more I like Campbell. BTW... I think Kraft is a worse person than McDaniels . The whole issue IMO is what he did to all the assistant coaches that were counting on jobs . Kraft should have respected that position and not spent 2 days talking that weak minded creep into screwing his friends. 

I'm with you....   I'm angrier with Kraft than I am with McDaniels.

Kraft and BB could've talked to McDaniels at any time during the month of January.   That includes the first week when the Pats had a bye and the week after the Championship game, the first of the two weeks leading to the SB.   The Pats were not caught off guard.   There was plenty of time to get a new deal for JM done.

But no.   They waited until JM was literally walking in to the Pats complex to pack up his office.   Then they made their offer to a man who has already agreed to terms with the Colts and had already hired assistant coaches.

To me that's tampering.   To me, it violated the spirit of how business is done in the NFL.   It was deliberate and premeditated and designed to inflict maximum damage on a rival opponent.   I'll bet it leads to new rules for the future about what teams can and can't do.

It's unimaginable to me that the NFL will do nothing.   But they might.

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I really wish the Colts would have at least interviewed Chris Petersen. I have said Chris Petersen in what seems like 100 threads about the new head coaching gig. I personally think that Petersen would be an excellent fit for the Colts and I think he will surprise MANY when he does get a shot in the NFL. Just my opinion (which is all but worthless in terms of any outcome here). But still I really can dream right ?

Although he did get a contract extension until 2023 with the Huskies. Maybe he declined interviews with some NFL teams though (even as a coordinator) who knows. He has said multiple times he likes where he is at.

"Petersen went 15-12 with two bowl appearances in his first two years with Washington and then led the program to a 12-2 record, College Football Playoff appearance and a Pac-12 title in 2016. In all, he is 27-14 with the Huskies after he went 92-12 in eight years at Boise State."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702955-chris-petersen-reportedly-agrees-to-contract-extension-with-washington-huskies

I have always been a Chris Peterson fan.  Very good coach.

I wish some of you could grasp that being a successful coordinator on a talented team does not mean you will be a great head coach.  The NFL is littered with coaches who's unit did well one year, got a HC job, and bombed.  The reason being is being a HC is like being a project manager.  You oversee the entire team and usually let coordinators run their units.  As a coordinator, you run your unit.  It is like a completely different job.  That is why I guy like Frank Reich concerns me.  I don't know Dan Campbell that well, but if he is a leader who can get the most out of his players and has good coordinators, he will do well.  It doesn't matter if he is the greatest X and O guy.  It matters if he can get the most out of his players.  We already know Leslie Frazier can't lead a team.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Tell me about Sean McVay being considered one of the brightest offensive minds in the league. Or tell me about Doug Pederson being one of the most thorough and prepared guys in the building. 

Dan Campbell is like one of the buffest dudes in my Gold's Gym tho

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kraft and BB could've talked to McDaniels at any time during the month of January.   That includes the first week when the Pats had a bye and the week after the Championship game, the first of the two weeks leading to the SB.   The Pats were not caught off guard.   There was plenty of time to get a new deal for JM done.

But no.   They waited until JM was literally walking in to the Pats complex to pack up his office.   Then they made their offer to a man who has already agreed to terms with the Colts and had already hired assistant coaches.

To me that's tampering.   To me, it violated the spirit of how business is done in the NFL.   It was deliberate and premeditated and designed to inflict maximum damage on a rival opponent.   I'll bet it leads to new rules for the future about what teams can and can't do.

I agree with everything, but I don’t think NFL will do anything. Deflate-gate kind of backfired on them, so nobody have the courage to touch Patriots again for a foreseeable future. The is unfortunately, but Kraft knows this and will take advantage of it, make no mistake. 

12 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I wish some of you could grasp that being a successful coordinator on a talented team does not mean you will be a great head coach.  The NFL is littered with coaches who's unit did well one year, got a HC job, and bombed.  The reason being is being a HC is like being a project manager.  You oversee the entire team and usually let coordinators run their units.  As a coordinator, you run your unit.  It is like a completely different job.  That is why I guy like Frank Reich concerns me.  I don't know Dan Campbell that well, but if he is a leader who can get the most out of his players and has good coordinators, he will do well.  It doesn't matter if he is the greatest X and O guy.  It matters if he can get the most out of his players.  We already know Leslie Frazier can't lead a team.

I agree with this, but you still need to have a clear vision and strong conviction on the kind of schemes you want to use and being able to gain respect based on your high football knowledge. Otherwise you might as well bring in a retired army major to run the show. OK, I know I’m stating the obvious here. As you were. :hat:

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't believe for a second that Kraft and company waited until that Tuesday to talk to McDaniels.  That was just their last ditch effort and McDaniels finally caved...like the spineless rat he is.

2 hours ago, esmort said:

Right I understand what you are saying ... but who was there originally that you thought "could lead the team to new heights"? 

I liked almost every of the first round candidates better than every single one of the current ones. The things I'm hearing on Vrabel I now understand why he was one of the favorites for our job. Wilks would have been good, McDaniels(if he had truly reformed himself, which it seems he has not), Nagy... I liked all of them. I'm having real hard time justifying hiring any of the current candidates. 

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Why does everyone assume Campbell is just a big, loud meathead? YouTube? Because he works out? Venturi?

Probably because nobody have gone forward and told how he has a very bright football mind or something to that effect, all we are hearing is he is a leader of men. :dunno:

35 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't believe for a second that Kraft and company waited until that Tuesday to talk to McDaniels.  That was just their last ditch effort and McDaniels finally caved...like the spineless rat he is.

I haven't seen a story yet that stated that McDsniels was approached before the day after the Super Bowl.   And that one of the reasons JM did interviews this year is because he felt he didn't know where he stood with Kraft and BB.   That he didn't know if he was valued?

You call it a last ditch effort....    perhaps,  but judging by McDaniels words it was also a FIRST ditch effort as well.   That's why he was interested in the Colts.

Just saying....

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

This is depressing. .This is the BEST we got? Smh 

With things like this you never know what you have. Keep an open mind because there is nothing we can do about it anyways. There are much more worse things to be depressed about than who is going to be the head coach of the Colts. Keep it in perspective.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I haven't seen a story yet that stated that McDsniels was approached before the day after the Super Bowl.   And that one of the reasons JM did interviews this year is because he felt he didn't know where he stood with Kraft and BB.   That he didn't know if he was valued?

You call it a last ditch effort....    perhaps,  but judging by McDaniels words it was also a FIRST ditch effort as well.   That's why he was interested in the Colts.

Just saying....

It sounds like a story to protect McDaniels.  As though he was blindsided by Kraft and company at the last minute and had a change of heart due to loyality and the love from all involved. Maybe I'm wrong, but that story sounds like complete nonsense.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Atleast with mcdaniels, we would have had a guy who understood Xs and Os, can adjust to take advantage of matchups and would expect nothing, but the best and put players in position to succeed. I don't see that at all in these guys. 

hmm. Well I dont see any of these other guys backing out of the job at the last second.Do you? Nobody seen that coming. You really dont know what ANYBODY can do until they are given that chance to do it. Of course they have to show the warrants of said chance. I think all mentioned candidates show at least that . 

4 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I really wish the Colts would have at least interviewed Chris Petersen. I have said Chris Petersen in what seems like 100 threads about the new head coaching gig. I personally think that Petersen would be an excellent fit for the Colts and I think he will surprise MANY when he does get a shot in the NFL. Just my opinion (which is all but worthless in terms of any outcome here). But still I really can dream right ?

Although he did get a contract extension until 2023 with the Huskies. Maybe he declined interviews with some NFL teams though (even as a coordinator) who knows. He has said multiple times he likes where he is at.

"Petersen went 15-12 with two bowl appearances in his first two years with Washington and then led the program to a 12-2 record, College Football Playoff appearance and a Pac-12 title in 2016. In all, he is 27-14 with the Huskies after he went 92-12 in eight years at Boise State."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702955-chris-petersen-reportedly-agrees-to-contract-extension-with-washington-huskies

Interesting thought.

4 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Yes BOTT, that's exactly what he called him !!!, I just listened to the two PODCASTS again just so I wouldn't misquote Venturi.  The first PODCAST was Venturi's segment (and these were on FEB 7th by the way if anyone wants to listen) and the 2nd PODCAST was the Diana Russini segment or we'll call it the "BLOWHARD" segment.  In Venturi's segment, he said DAN CAMPBELL was not an X's and O's guy, might be a Rah Rah guy but that's about it , and brought nothing much to the table.  Reich he said was not calling plays for Philly as we all know but was heavily involved and brings MUCH more to the table and can run a system like Ballard would like to see.  I'm sure it's sprinkles of Tampa-2 defense with Ballards Offensive likes as well.  In the Russini segment, they had already talked about Campbell and had moved on but VENTURI texted DD to specifically say that Campbell was a big blowhard.  I'm sure that Venturi probably didn't want Dakich to put that on the air (or maybe he did, haha)

Venturi knows the game, schematically.  He's an average evaluator of player personnel.

As far as his opinions on coaches, I don't put much stock in what he says.  He props up his buddies and trashes those he's unfamiliar with.  It's kind of a shame, really.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

Quoted for truth.  I would PayPal money to that post if I could.

Made me laugh out loud.  Well said man.  Well said.

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Reich runs a lot of E-P offensive schemes as well, saw it run by Tom Moore with the Colts, then ran those with Mike McCoy at San Diego, and then even adapted to running RPOs that the Chiefs stressed the Patriots with in game 1 while game planning for them knowing Foles thrived in it before. 

If Reich becomes HC, there is a good chance he would not mind Bevell as OC. 

An E-P reference...well done!  

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I liked almost every of the first round candidates better than every single one of the current ones. The things I'm hearing on Vrabel I now understand why he was one of the favorites for our job. Wilks would have been good, McDaniels(if he had truly reformed himself, which it seems he has not), Nagy... I liked all of them. I'm having real hard time justifying hiring any of the current candidates. 

You liked Nagy but can't justify Reich? Would be the other way around for me. 

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I haven't even allowed myself to really think about who all is available, to be honest. I've been on a roller coaster the past two days, I think.

Chris Petersen would definitely get an interview, if it were up to me. I said that when the search started. 

At this point I would want any NCAA HC because of character issues

1 hour ago, J@son said:

You liked Nagy but can't justify Reich? Would be the other way around for me. 

To be fair Reich is the closest to good I would feel with a hire, but the fact that he's been around for a while and still hasn't gotten a chance to call plays, let alone headcoach has me a bit concerned. People were talking about Nagy being playcaller for just 3 months, but Reich hasn't done that at all. Ever! 

BTW I don't think it's unreasonable that you feel the other way around. It's perfectly reasonable, but I would still contend that preferring Nagy is reasonable too. 

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

re-watch the video Schefter was only giving his opinion that he could be the favorite. Colts never said he was so this is not him reporting....

Yes.  This whole thing is Schefter getting his air time as the inside guy when there is a new HC search.

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

Why does everyone assume Campbell is just a big, loud meathead? YouTube? Because he works out? Venturi?

I don't assume that.  I am just looking at a guy who has never been a coordinator before.

You have to admit that hiring someone who has never been a coordinator before is at least highly unusual.