Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Expected to Interview

1959Colts

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll definitely need to be given some info on him. Not really sure who else we could hire though.

He is one of ours. We kind of need someone just like him right now. It fits the PR move, and he is also trending towards becoming a highly sought after head coach. 

He just seems like a very boring hire to me. 

I wouldn't consider Reich an offensive genius by any means.  It's Petersons offense in Philadelphia.

And just based on his stoic appearance and demeanor , he doesn't strike me as having the strong "leader of men" qualities either.

I'd rather Toub, DeFilippo, or someone else at this point.

5 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

He is the OC but not the signal caller as the head coach in Philly is.

Not sure about this.

Just FYI, he was the signal caller with the Chargers for 2 years before he was let go. He helps Doug Pederson with the offensive game planning but then, if he brings DeFilippo (the Eagles QB coach) with him, a young and upcoming QB coach, for OC, I think we will get the best of both brains, IMO. Same way Matt LeFleur was helping Kyle Shanahan come up with offensive game plans for the Falcons during their SB run, much like he did for Sean McVay and the Rams the last year, before becoming OC with the Titans. 

These guys are not dummies, to be given an OC position and paid a salary for doing little, even if they do not call the actual plays. They do more than what we fans see on the surface. Jon Gruden, if you did not know, started as a quality control coach, and that was a trend. Those guys that come up with offensive and defensive game plans for the HC, deal with far more than we see on game day.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Lacks experience? He played fin the NFL for 15 years and has been coaching for 20

I mean as an organizer, coordinating other coaches and dealing with personnel matters.  Others are worried about his lack of play calling at Philly.  I think his football knowledge is very good.

11 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

I wanted him over McDaniels, hope we can lock him up.

Wonder how much Luck will be brought up in that interview lol.

Frank was with us before, so I think it makes him a favorite for the job.

I wanted vrabel first but Reich as well.  So many others than McD but this still is embarrassing. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just FYI, he was the signal caller with the Chargers for 2 years before he was let go. He helps Doug Pederson with the offensive game planning but then, if he brings DeFilippo (the Eagles QB coach) with him, a young and upcoming QB coach, for OC, I think we will get the best of both brains, IMO. Same way Matt LeFleur was helping Kyle Shanahan come up with offensive game plans for the Falcons during their SB run, much like he did for Sean McVay and the Rams the last year, before becoming OC with the Titans. 

We will see, sounds more like an assistant than a leader but who knows.

Don't we have the QB coach from the Pats signed?

13 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He is one of ours. We kind of need someone just like him right now. It fits the PR move, and he is also trending towards becoming a highly sought after head coach. 

Exactly.  Its somebody to grow with, to give the Colts an identity, a leader who identifies with the team and the city as they go though the ups and downs of seasons.  Reich is also well respected by Polian, another connection to the Colts.

McD would have always been an exPatriot with no real affiliation to the Colts, not to mention he's simply not a very likable guy.  As a fan, you hold your nose and hope he wins you superbowls. 

Sometimes, things like leadership and organizational support goes beyond simple wins and losses during a few seasons.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Exactly.  Its somebody to grow with, to give the Colts an identity, a leader who identifies with the team and the city as they go though the ups and downs of seasons.  Reich is also well respected by Polian, another connection to the Colts.

McD would have always been an exPatriot with no real affiliation to the Colts, not to mention he's simply not a very likable guy.  As a fan, you hold your nose and hope he wins you superbowls. 

Sometimes, things like leadership and organizational support goes beyond simple wins and losses during a few seasons.

That’s been my point all along. 

Well said! :) 

27 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

We will see, sounds more like an assistant than a leader but who knows.

Don't we have the QB coach from the Pats signed?

I think he is more of a leader than a great Xs and Os guy, I feel, the other way around, hence I want him to bring along an OC, hence DeFilippo for OC I was wanting.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/4-bears-questions-is-eagles-frank-reich-a-bears-coach-candidate/

Eagles coach Doug Pederson sees head-coaching qualities in Reich.

“He’s got the right demeanor,” Pederson said. “He’s a players’ coach. He relates well to the players. He does a great job with the offensive staff, and he’s got the right demeanor.

“He’s got the mindset, the mentality, the leadership qualities that you see. I think it is a matter of time. Obviously, the more success you have as a team, a lot of places are going to look. And I was fortunate a couple of years ago to be in that position. I see Frank maybe one day having another -opportunity.”

Here is more:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/02/nfl_head_coaching_rumors_colts_want_to_interview_eagles_fran.html

Moreover, Pederson has lauded the impact Reich has had in terms of game-planning and play-calling. While Pederson called the plays for the Eagles' offense, he received high marks for his aggressiveness and malleable matchup-determined game-plans, which Reich could also bring with him as a head coaching candidate.