Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets Build an O- line Monster!!!

Shadow_Creek

Given the way we "build the monster" on defense....I am done monster building....I mean they got the scary part of the monster right, forgot the fangs and claws......but if you look at how the defense played, it was scary......just not a good scary

They replayed the NE Seattle SB last night and I happened to catch a couple minutes.  One of the things Al Michaels said stuck out to me. 

He said Brady was frustrating the Seahawks defense so much with quick passes that they stopped rushing him and decided to just try to block the passes.

Obviously we need a better line for pass protection and run blocking.  But the QB is definitely part of pass protection.  A game plan where the ball comes out quick enough eliminates a lot of problems.

All that being said, I think Brady was sacked quite a bit this year. 

The best and cheapest way to build the monster on O-Line would be to draft Quenton Nelson and Will Hernandez in the first two rounds and sign Soldier to play RT.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily what I want but it’s an option. What I would do personally is sign Norwell or Pugh if possible and then Target Braden Smith or Hernandez in the 2nd or 3rd round. Then draft a RT late for competition. 

The other thing I want to see from Ballard is for him to live up to his word about building strong lines on both sides of the ball.

I don't want to go back over the Grigson regime, but I still remember being totally POed listening to him doing an interview where he laughed about the fans concern over who's starting at G.  Like it wasn't a position worth worrying about.

Enough of that, he's in Cleveland and I can only assume that's the Football God's way of punishing him.

Just now, Smonroe said:

The other thing I want to see from Ballard is for him to live up to his word about building strong lines on both sides of the ball.

I don't want to go back over the Grigson regime, but I still remember being totally POed listening to him doing an interview where he laughed about the fans concern over who's starting at G.  Like it wasn't a position worth worrying about.

Enough of that, he's in Cleveland and I can only assume that's the Football God's way of punishing him.

Actually Cleveland let him go as well :lol:

52 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The best and cheapest way to build the monster on O-Line would be to draft Quenton Nelson and Will Hernandez in the first two rounds and sign Soldier to play RT.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily what I want but it’s an option. What I would do personally is sign Norwell or Pugh if possible and then Target Braden Smith or Hernandez in the 2nd or 3rd round. Then draft a RT late for competition. 

I would do that also. If it were me, I'd try and trade back a few picks to either 5 or 6 overall if I think Bradley Chubb will still be available there, pick up an extra 2nd and possibly more, and draft DE Chubb to be my pass rusher I build my defense around. 

Then in round 2 I target help at ILB and possibly another top CB to make this secondary great. Then I go after OT/G Braden Smith late 2/early 3 and add another OG/T between rounds 4-6 again. Pair Braden Smith with some quality free agent additions on the OL and a healthy Ryan Kelly, and a quicker passing game orchestrated by McDaniels and I think you'll see good progress. 

The offensive line is our greatest priority.   We need to protect Luck so he can work his magic.  I like LT Costanzo and C Kelly.  I would love to see Colts sign Norwell for one of the guard positions and draft Nelson for the other guard position. I like Haeg but not sure he is the answer for right tackle.  RT Solder might be good option but if we can't get him I would use 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on a tackle.

My building O-line monster:

1. 5/60 for Norwell... put him at RG

2, Trade back with Jets or Broncos, get an additional second. Draft Quenton Nelson.

3. Draft the best available OT in the second (McGlinchey, Brown, Crosby, Okorafor)

Put out a lineup of:

AC-Nelson-Kelly-Norwell-Brown*

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

1. 5/60 for Norwell... put him at LG

2, Trade back with Jets or Broncos, get an additional second. Draft Quenton Nelson.

3. Draft the best available OT in the second (McGlinchey, Brown, Crosby, Okorafor)

Put out a lineup of:

I think I'd rather get a dominant pass rusher round 1 in Bradley Chubb after a small trade down, then draft Braden Smith in late round 2/early 3rd. In free agency I'd also add signing OT Nate Solder or Cameron Fleming from NE.

LT - Castonzo

LG - Norwell

C - Kelly

RG - Smith

RT - Solder/Fleming/Haeg

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think I'd rather get a dominant pass rusher round 1 in Bradley Chubb after a small trade down, then draft Braden Smith in late round 2/early 3rd. In free agency I'd also add signing OT Nate Solder.

LT - Castonzo

LG - Norwell

C - Kelly

RG - Smith

RT - Solder

Me too... but I had to fit into the topic. 

Not quite sure if anyone watched the Saints/Panthers game, but the line I seen blocking for Brees make me entertain the idea of maybe drafting oline in the first two rounds.  Drew had impressive time in the pocket.  I think with a line similar to what brees had, will do extremely well in a mcdaniels offense.  Love this time of year, especially with the luxury of having cap and being at #3.  Countless of ways we can go!

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Castonzo will be good enough.
I'll take a technically sound, Mobile, pass blocking o-line with RB's that are VG at picking up the blitz.
And Doyle is not at all as good as we need as a pass blocker.

Doyle is a great run blocker though, one of the better TEs in the league at it. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

1. 5/60 for Norwell... put him at LG

Put out a lineup of:

Draft a LG in the top 6? I do not concur. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Hopefully the Colts will get Norwell and Solder or maybe Fulton in FA, and maybe draft an O-Lineman in the 2nd or 3rd.

Re-sign Mingo on the cheap too. 

Mingo looked good this year.  I liked Simon, too, but IMO Mingo looked quicker on the field during pass rush.  Simon was good setting the edge.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think I'd rather get a dominant pass rusher round 1 in Bradley Chubb after a small trade down, then draft Braden Smith in late round 2/early 3rd. In free agency I'd also add signing OT Nate Solder or Cameron Fleming from NE.

LT - Castonzo

LG - Norwell

C - Kelly

RG - Smith

RT - Solder/Fleming/Haeg

I like this-a solid O-line with a stellar running back. 

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

He got fired from Cleveland.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

LT - Castonzo

LG - Norwell

C - Kelly

RG - Smith

RT - Solder/Fleming/Haeg

Yep, I can't get on the "OG at 3rd overall" train. That pick needs to be a guy who either scores TDs or sacks QBs.

I mention Fleming last week, now he's getting some attention on here lol. He's only 25 and an ascending player who should have his best years on this contract. He's never been a full time starter but he's played well when he's played. And considering he hasn't been a full time starter we can probably land him for like 4/24 or 4/30. Imagine this line

Castanzo - Norwell - Kelly - Kline - Fleming

Haeg, Good, Person, Mid RD draft pick

That's the best OL in the NFL, and its made over night.

13 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I mention Fleming last week, now he's getting some attention on here lol. He's only 25 and an ascending player who should have his best years on this contract. He's never been a full time starter but he's played well when he's played. And considering he hasn't been a full time starter we can probably land him for like 4/24 or 4/30. Imagine this line

no that's not the best line still wouldn't beat Dallas 

22 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

no that's not the best line still wouldn't beat Dallas 

Maybe, but IMO. Not really. Martin is a little. Not much better than Norwell. Both are top 3-4 G's and Norwell keeps getting better so.....Fredrick better than RC as of NOW. And Smith is better than AC. Pretty even. We'd have em beat at RG and RT. Almost a tie at LG. Kelly may breakout this year and be a top 5 C.

But even if they had a couple better players, we'd have zero holes or weak spots on our line. I'd rather have 5 studs and no weak spots than 3 guys who are top at their position and 2 question marks.

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Maybe, but IMO. Not really. Martin is a little. Not much better than Norwell. Both are top 3-4 G's and Norwell keeps getting better so.....Fredrick better than RC as of NOW. And Smith is better than AC. Pretty even. We'd have em beat at RG and RT. Almost a tie at LG. Kelly may breakout this year and be a top 5 C.

How do you figure fleming who hasn't hardly played would be better then Collins 

6 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Who should we bring in to make this O-line beast like?  weather it be via trade, free agency or draft. I personality liked how Castonzo played this year however would he fit Mcdaniels scheme?

You missed all the screamings to pick a RB with our first choice! I say OL pick or DE pick in our first choice.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Man i live in Nashville and trust me Kline for the Titans isn’t that good. Would much rather have Zach Fulton from KC. But I do like Fleming at RT.