Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

35 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

How would it be difficult to root for a guy like Dungy?  

By all accounts he's a good person.

I always liked him, or at least what I knew of him.

I thought he was too nice (soft spoken) and things of that nature, along with I wasn't sure of his ability... I wasn't confident he had what it took, but he obviousl proved me wrong.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I believe you, I just thought I knew the rules without looking anything up. I was close to being right anyway lmao Thanks for the correction.

I don't think it's a huge issue to begin with. I would think that if the Colts decide they want him over Vrabel , a phone call probably happens and there would be a verbal agreement. I don't see how the Colts could wait until the SB is over to get a commitment from McDaniels.

31 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Let him drive Luck out of Indy too while he's at it. 

There's a HUGE difference between Luck and Cutler. Cutler is known for having a terrible attitude and being insufferable to work with. Luck is the opposite..

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don't care about getting a first time HC either, I'd have been glad to have Wilks or Nagy, plenty of others, but I think Vrabel is very inexperienced in coaching in general. Only 6 years coaching.

I like the guys attitude and the respect that he demands. He’s one of the few former Patriots that I truly liked, so I will admit I’m biased in my opinion of him.

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

That's why he surrounds himself with assistant's, notably an offensive/defensive coordinator. He'll be a head coach somewhere in the next 3 years. His stock among the GM's in the league is rising quickly, plus he's been mentored by some of the best in the game.

Also, I shouldn't say he "won't be good" in that area. I just don't think he will be, at least for a while.

But yeah, I don't disagree with the bolded at all. I think he'll be ready in a few years for sure. I just don't want to through what I think will be a rough going the first few years.

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I always liked him, or at least what I knew of him.

I thought he was too nice (soft spoken) and things of that nature, along with I wasn't sure of his ability... I wasn't confident he had what it took, but he obviousl proved me wrong.

People said the same about Caldwell, but from what I know players and other coaches completely respect him.  

I'm not a fan of his either though. 

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It's silliness to compare them? Okay.

My comparison is because I could see Vrabel struggling with X's and O's side of things, the game planning, clock managment, on-field decisions. That it seems like his strengths are only about being well-respected and a good leader. Which, crazy I know, reminds me of Pagano.

And i would expect his defensive game planning to be excellent because he is highly intelligent with the X & O's
after so many years playing and learning from the best. It really is that simple.
 And NO, he couldn't do it alone.
 Pagano usually looked shook on the sidelines.
Is that Vrabel? How can you have a CLUE how good he would be?

Just now, Superman said:

I'm thinking we hear that Vrabel has withdrawn within the next few days. 

Was this what happened last year with Shanahan? I don't remember. People started dropping out once it became clear 49ers are zeroing in on Shanahan? 

24 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

And i would expect his defensive game planning to be excellent because he is highly intelligent with the X & O's
after so many years playing and learning from the best. It really is that simple.
 And NO, he couldn't do it alone.
 Pagano usually looked shook on the sidelines.
Is that Vrabel? How can you have a CLUE how good he would be?

That's fine.

I think he could be a fine HC some day. He could even be right now, I might be wrong about that. But I just don't like the idea of him as our HC. I don't think he's ready nor do I think he's the right fit, and Ballard may disagree and hire him, but that's just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

If I were jealous, I would be dying to have McDaniels. I don't understand your point. 

Are you serious? I'm sure you've heard of the phrase "Jealousy breeds hatred/envy".  You've been coming up with just about every reason to "hate on" McDaniels and why you wouldn't want him. 

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

Are you serious? I'm sure you've heard of the phrase "Jealousy breeds hatred".  You've been coming up with just about every reason to "hate on" McDaniels and why you wouldn't want him. 

I don't want him because he failed in Denver and fought with Cutler.  

That's a legitimate reason.

4 hours ago, #12. said:

If we post Broncos fans views on McDaniels... as a head coach... it would be worse, much worse.

McDaniels is my choice, but I'm not ready to dismiss Vrabel.  He's obviously showing something in interviews.  Perhaps he's better suited to be a head coach than a DC.  That is possible.  Polian said, when looking for a head coach, he cared little as to whether they were a good coordinator or not.  To him, head coach is a different job.  

I think the important distinction is McDaniels is no longer with the Broncos and Vrabal is currently with the Texans. NA fan's negative criticism of an old HC that didn't work out is a lot different than negative criticism of a current coach, particularly when it's about how his criticism that his inexperience as a coordinator hardly justifies his standing to take on a head coaching role.  

Vrabel  might be a HC, I just don't think that time is now.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What the he'll does that mean? He hasn't find me something that proves he was involved.

If Belichick himself became HC of the Colts, all the jealousy would disappear. And all the cheating references as well.

And by the way, I agree. Josh would be a fine pick.  But don't be surprised at all the negative comments.  That's been a tradition on this board to hate all things of the Patriots.  If Josh becomes one of us, will he confess to permitting game balls to follow the ideal gas law? Will anyone believe him?

7 hours ago, adubb84 said:

I’m all for Mcdaniels. That snippet already explains why it’s going to be him. Vrabel is ready and available for hire right now. 

Only worrisome part is the pats going on a run and not finalizing things until February.  Hoping he already has his coordinators lined up

My guess is that his coordinators are already locked up, if Ballard has an agreement with him. The Colts can't announce them because McDaniels isn't hired yet.

2 minutes ago, Roger said:

If Belichick himself became HC of the Colts, all the jealousy would disappear. And all the cheating references as well.

And by the way, I agree. Josh would be a fine pick.  But don't be surprised at all the negative comments.  That's been a tradition on this board to hate all things of the Patriots.  If Josh becomes one of us, will he confess to permitting game balls to follow the ideal gas law? Will anyone believe him?

He will be fine it's been obvious that everyone here dislikes him cause he's from the pats tho oh well they will just have to pout lol

5 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Which one do you consider legitimate?  

Just curious.  

I'm actually MORE concerned about his demeanor than his ability TBH.

Fighting with/trading cutler 

*oops, I meant his losing in Denver is legitimate 

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

It would not be intriguing, it would be awful and everyone on this site knows it. Without getting into a list of opinionated comments, his defense this past year in Houston, horrible. Nuff said

To be fair, he did miss some of his best players, like JJ Watt.

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

Was this what happened last year with Shanahan? I don't remember. People started dropping out once it became clear 49ers are zeroing in on Shanahan? 

McDaniels and Cable withdrew right around the divisional games. Their other candidates mostly took other jobs.