Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson's New Low

IndyD4U

Browns fired senior personnel executive Ryan Grigson,

Grigson was fired as the Colts' GM less than a year ago and latched on with the Browns in May. He lasts just one season with the team with the Browns overhauling their front office and bringing in a bunch of talent ex-Packers executives. Grigson, 46 next month, has seen his career spiral the drain.
Related: Browns

Jan 10 - 2:45 PM

Hmm, so they kept some of the former staff, but let Grigson go. Clearly there was something they didn't like about him, otherwise if they were doing a genuine revamp, wouldn't they let everyone go, similar to what we did with the Bill Polian posse?

Oh what am I saying, it's Grigson! Of course they didn't like him! Next stop for Grigson: McDonalds!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Grigson will eventually emerge as a scout for some team.

I doubt his days in the NFL are over.

Problem for him is I don't know if he's a good scout. I'm not saying he was entirely awful (he had his moments), but he swinged and missed on almost everything in the 1st round, most notably the Trent Richardson trade, and signing Werner and Heyward-Bey (who play positions having nothing to do with protecting Luck). We also never had a plan in place for when Luck went down. How a former scout could be this bad I just don't understand. Then you add on the fact the guy is apparently a jerk, as Pat McAfee isn't shy about showing his disdain for the guy.

Maybe he will be a scouting assistant. He needs to learn from someone or go back to a scouting school for a refresher, because he just set the Colts back several years and maybe even costed Andrew Luck his career.

8 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Problem for him is I don't know if he's a good scout. I'm not saying he was entirely awful (he had his moments), but he swinged and missed on almost everything in the 1st round, most notably the Trent Richardson trade, and signing Werner and Heyward-Bey (who play positions having nothing to do with protecting Luck). We also never had a plan in place for when Luck went down. How a former scout could be this bad I just don't understand. Then you add on the fact the guy is apparently a jerk, as Pat McAfee isn't shy about showing his disdain for the guy.

Maybe he will be a scouting assistant. He needs to learn from someone or go back to a scouting school for a refresher, because he just set the Colts back several years and maybe even costed Andrew Luck his career.

There is a difference between being a scout and being a GM.    Grigson had been a scout before.   I suspect if he wants it, he could do it again.

As to the backup plan for Luck?

The Tolzein fiasco was one year.    Otherwise we had Drew Stanton in 12 and Matt Hasselbeck in 13-15.   It was only in 16 that RG dropped the ball on the backup..

Remember....    he was the GM of a franchise that didn't have a losing season in FIVE years.   And three times won 11 regular season games.    And he won NFL exec of the Year.    That earns him SOME crediblity with NFL types.

There are 32 teams.   One will likely need a scout of some kind.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There is a difference between being a scout and being a GM.    Grigson had been a scout before.   I suspect if he wants it, he could do it again.

As to the backup plan for Luck?

The Tolzein fiasco was one year.    Otherwise we had Drew Stanton in 12 and Matt Hasselbeck in 13-15.   It was only in 16 that RG dropped the ball on the backup..

Remember....    he was the GM of a franchise that didn't have a losing season in FIVE years.   And three times won 11 regular season games.    And he won NFL exec of the Year.    That earns him SOME crediblity with NFL types.

There are 32 teams.   One will likely need a scout of some kind.

Ha, obviously true.

But, some bitter fans will want to gloat at how far Grigs has fallen. Getting fired from Cleveland and playing even the smallest of roles in their 0-16 season allows them the opportunity!!!

I hate to kick a man when he's down...

Cr9rg.gif

Or beat a dead horse...

WTDnnwE.gif?noredirect

Or rub it in his face...

DoL1e.gif

Or gloat...

Chris-Ballard-NBC.jpg

(look at that salt-n-pepper)

636290944735878763-Ballard-mk-07.jpg

(you see my hair? it's nice, right? yeah, it's like, this nice.)

AP_17109657251794.jpg

(I like you this much)

636215640462928020-ColtsBallard-mk-09.jp

(Yeah, you)

But we've moved on Grigsy, it's best you do the same.

I hear the :flyingelvis:  need a new Head-Scout to draft every player for Belichick... please go do that...

PLEASE!!!

On 10/01/2018 at 11:33 PM, ReMeDy said:

We didn't have a plan for when peyton went down either. 

9 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

Somehow he still makes more money than most of us on this forum.......

you can look up the average american income and see this is easily true

whats your point though, we shouldn't hate on him because he makes a lot of money?  

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

you can look up the average american income and see this is easily true

whats your point though, we shouldn't hate on him because he makes a lot of money?  

I think his point is this forum has about 20 football minds that are significantly better than what he could hope for and somehow he is a former Exec of the year.  

It's mind boggling lol.

11 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Ok if you're going to count that then we had tolzien and signed brisset. 

We didn't sign Brissett, we traded for him.

Now if you want to be negative about Brissett that's on you. Ballard trading for Brissett was a lot better move than Painter or Collins. Collins got paid over a year and half for absolutely nothing. There is no comparison.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We didn't sign Brissett, we traded for him.

Now if you want to be negative about Brissett that's on you. Ballard trading for Brissett was a lot better move than Painter or Collins. Collins got paid over a year and half for absolutely nothing. There is no comparison.

Semantics, there is a comparison. There was a plan for both. Have a crappy backup, get a better starter. If one doesn't count, neither does the other.

Now if youre going to argue based on semantics and ticky-tacky logic, then you aren't worth my time. 

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

Semantics, there is a comparison. There was a plan for both. Have a crappy backup, get a better starter. If one doesn't count, neither does the other.

Now if youre going to argue based on semantics and ticky-tacky logic, then you aren't worth my time. 

Ticky-tacky logic?  I guess it's not worth any time at all.

The only argument here is in your head.

11 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I think his point is this forum has about 20 football minds that are significantly better than what he could hope for and somehow he is a former Exec of the year.  

It's mind boggling lol.

i get what you are saying and i dont trash him too much these days.  its better to move on

i will say that his draft picks were pretty bad though, most of them are not here any more.  we could have thrown darts at a draft board and done as well as he did over the last few years.