Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st look at salary cap. 78.464 million

Coltfreak

2018 Salary Cap:

$176.000m = Projected 2018 Salary Cap (this is not yet determined but an estimate)
$018.350m = 2017 Unused Rollover Amount
==========
$194.350m = 2018 Indianapolis Colts Salary Cap

$103.277m = Current 2018 Cap Commitments
$001.779m = Dead Cap Money (Phillip Dorsett is $1.044m of it. Zach Banner is $400k)
==========
$105.056m = Total 2018 Cap Commitments

$089.294m = Free Cap Space

$005.500m = Reserved for 2018 Draft Class (picking 3rd is expensive!!)
$001.110m = Spots 52 and 53 on active roster
$001.220m = Practice Squad
$003.000m = In-Season “Churn” space
==========
$010.830m = Infrastructure Roster Costs

$078.464m = Free Cap Space available for signing free agents (our own or other team’s)

2018 Top 10 Teams With Free Cap Space:

(Remember to subtract around $8-10m for what they can spend on free agents except for Cleveland. Subtract $14m from them due to their 2 very high draft picks.)  

$118.109m = Cleveland Browns
$117.897m = San Francisco 49ers
$089.294m = Indianapolis Colts
$084.898m = New York Jets
$070.410m = Tampa Bay Buccaneers
$060.513m = Minnesota Vikings
$059.689m = Detroit Lions
$059.598m = Houston Texans
$054.156m = Washington Redskins
$054.021m = Tennessee Titans

Players Who Would Take Away Cap Space If Cut:

- $7.446m = Malik Hooker
- $3.325m = Ryan Kelly
- $1.167m = Quincy Wilson

Every other player could be cut and the Colts would gain cap space for 2018. That is some nice veteran contract construction.

Top 10 Players Who Would Add Cap Space If Cut:

$8.000m = Jonathan Hankins
$7.500m = Jabaal Sheard
$7.000m = T.Y. Hilton
$5.250m = Jack Doyle
$5.200m = Anthony Castonzo
$3.500m = John Simon
$2.200m = Andrew Luck
$2.000m = Margus Hunt
$2.000m = Al Woods
$1.300m = Robert Turbin

We have a tight roster. There are no glaring folks whom we are paying money to that are not living up to their contract. I could perhaps argue that Turbin’s performance could be equaled by a lesser paid guy but that is about it in my eyes. We are not generating more cap space by cutting underperforming players because there are none of our highly paid guys who are underperforming.

2018 Colts Free Agents:

Unrestricted Free Agents: 

[No restriction on what kind of contract they can sign or with whom they can sign it.]

RB Frank Gore, 34 years old
FS Darius Butler, 31 years old
PK Adam Vinatieri, 44 years old
WR Kamar Aiken, 28 years old
OLB Barkevious Mingo, 27 years old
QB Scott Tolzien, 30 years old
OG Jack Mewhort, 26 years old
CB Pierre Desir, 27 years old
TE Brandon Williams, 30 years old
OG Michael Person, 29 years old
CB Rashaan Melvin, 28 years old
WR Donte Moncrief, 24 years old
ILB Jon Bostic, 26 years old
DE Caraun Reid, 26 years old

Colts Restricted Free Agents:

[Typically for players who were not drafted in the 1st round and are in their 4th year of credited NFL service (at least 6 games on an active roster to receive credit for the season). Colts can assign an RFA tag that details how much the Colts pay the player. If another team wants to offer a higher contract, Colts have the right to match the offer and retain the player or let the player go and receive draft pick compensation based on what level of RFA tag was assigned. Minimum tag amount for 2018 will be around $1.9m for compensation of a draft pick of the same round that the player was originally drafted in, $2.9 for compensation of a 2nd round draft pick or $4.1m for compensation of a 1st round draft pick.]

OT Tyreek Burwell, 25 years old
ILB Jeremiah George, 25 years old
DE Anthony Johnson, 24 years old
RB Matt Jones, 24 years old
SS Ronald Martin, 24 years old
RB George Winn, 27 years old

Colts Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

[Can only sign with the Colts if the team executes the option. Gets paid a bit more than league minimum but not much more. For undrafted players with less than 3 years of credited service in the league.]

WR K.J. Brent, 24 years old
OT Anthony Fabiano, 24 years old
RB Josh Ferguson, 24 years old
WR Krishawn Hogan, 22 years old
ILB Erwin Jackson, 26 years old
CB Chris Milton, 25 years old
TE Erik Swoope, 25 years old
OG Jeremy Vujnovich, 27 years old

Edited by Superman
removed link to another msg board

Really interested to see what Ballard does here.  UFA top priorities for me are Melvin, Mingo and I think Bostic and Desir deserve to be brought back. AV should be automatic (as are his kicks) hopefully.  Others I can take or leave.

From Ballard's various interviews, he knows what the roster needs (OL, pass rush) but always preaches competition at every position.  I see him letting Aiken go (and maybe Moncrief) but prioritising big-bodied WR's as he was trying to address by bringing in Aiken.

It gives comfort to know Ballard won't chase players if he doesn't think their cost matches their value, shown by the fact Poe walked out of Indy without a deal when he looked like a key piece for us.

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

Really interested to see what Ballard does here.  UFA top priorities for me are Melvin, Mingo and I think Bostic and Desir deserve to be brought back. AV should be automatic (as are his kicks) hopefully.  Others I can take or leave.

From Ballard's various interviews, he knows what the roster needs (OL, pass rush) but always preaches competition at every position.  I see him letting Aiken go (and maybe Moncrief) but prioritising big-bodied WR's as he was trying to address by bringing in Aiken.

It gives comfort to know Ballard won't chase players if he doesn't think their cost matches their value, shown by the fact Poe walked out of Indy without a deal when he looked like a key piece for us.

Desir only made one play that turn into a int cuz big ben under threw it and apperently that makes him a all star when quincy has been playing better then him js

38 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

Desir only made one play that turn into a int cuz big ben under threw it and apperently that makes him a all star when quincy has been playing better then him js

While ignoring the poor grammar and spelling, my response would be that I didn't say that Desir should be brought back as a starter, he has been a solid CB for the team and has done well when called upon, hence why I prioritised Melvin over Desir. 

Wilson is the one I would like to see start into next year but I don't think we can go into 2018 assuming he will be lockdown every week.

The part about there not being any glaring people who arn't living up to their pay is thus far the best improvement under Ballard we have seen.  

It was nice to hit on a first round pick but the 2nd and 3rd round picks are still questionable right now.  But the biggest thing thus far is all of his free agents have lived up to their contract.  So we're really not in a position in which we have any big names worth cutting.  I suppose if we replace one of them in the draft then maybe a cut could be made but it would mostly be for the roster spot.  

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I agree with all but Bostic let him go join Morrison as a free agent 

1 minute ago, will426 said:

I agree with all but Bostic let him go join Morrison as a free agent 

I got the impression Bostic is well liked in the roster and front office as a leader for the defence.  My thinking is that he would not cost a lot for a deal and is now coming into his prime (in terms of age at being 26).  I wouldn't lose any sleep if he did go, don't get me wrong, but I can see it being a move Ballard makes.

I'd like to see the Colts keep the following players out of the UFA's: 

CB Rashaan Melvin, 28 years old (must keep) 

RB Frank Gore, 34 years old (the guy still has it - gotta keep him)
PK Adam Vinatieri, 44 years old (must keep)
OLB Barkevious Mingo, 27 years old (Mingo did pretty well this year) 
OG Jack Mewhort, 26 years old (put him back at LG already) 
CB Pierre Desir, 27 years old (he's played well) 
OG Michael Person, 29 years old (has done better than average as a backup) 

Just now, lollygagger8 said:

If we draft Barkley (or another top RB like Chubb) then Gore is expendable.  I love the guy and wish we could keep him just so the young RBs could learn from him. 

Melvin is probably going to get top dollar from someone, I'm not sure we want to be that team.  If they sign Mewhort, it better be with incentives for how many games he plays.

I'm more interested in which Free Agent O linemen will be available.  We need two really good ones.

12 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I got the impression Bostic is well liked in the roster and front office as a leader for the defence.  My thinking is that he would not cost a lot for a deal and is now coming into his prime (in terms of age at being 26).  I wouldn't lose any sleep if he did go, don't get me wrong, but I can see it being a move Ballard makes.

I hate the way he and Morrison attacked gaps the Dline/ Olb and safties did more work in the run game than them from what I saw 

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If we draft Barkley (or another top RB like Chubb) then Gore is expendable.  I love the guy and wish we could keep him just so the young RBs could learn from him. 

Melvin is probably going to get top dollar from someone, I'm not sure we want to be that team.  If they sign Mewhort, it better be with incentives for how many games he plays.

I'm more interested in which Free Agent O linemen will be available.  We need two really good ones.

I would like to see Bradley Chubb at RB :)

(I know you meant Nick Chubb)

So many Chubbs!! LOL 

2 hours ago, Indy1996 said:

Would you mind translating this to English?

Please and thank you.

Nice post by the original poster.....I like that there is no residual dollars to eat for bad players, I don't know if that is good cap management, good signing of quality guys, or the fact we have so little talent but I like that financially there is no lag to improving this team, because that catches up with you if you get 2-3 years into a rebuild dragging bad contracts around. Now lets get a coach and staff, and sign some offensive line in free agency and then draft the entire Chubb family for the win!

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Mewhort's reported knee problems present a complication though.  

6 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I've got all the posts in question right here.  For kicks and giggles, let's go through them one by one.

In the post above, DaveA simply stated that he believed Desir should be brought back.  Note he said nothing about him being an All Star or really anything else.  Just that he should be brought back which is a reasonable belief.

5 hours ago, Indy1996 said:

I would contend that Desir made more than the one play you reference.  I would agree that Wilson should have been playing more but will point out that maybe, just maybe the reason Wilson wasn't playing more was Desir actually outplayed him.  You may have noticed that Wilson's playing time increased pretty much the moment that Desir got hurt.  Correlation?  Make you wonder.

44 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

You got a problem how i talk this isn't english class i dont gotta spell it out for dumb people tbh

This is of course not an English class.  However the points you do make can be easier to comprehend with just a touch more punctuation.  Also I think your points would be better if there was actually a point to them, but that is just me.  

I would also contend that referencing others as dumb is not a good tact to take when you have written so poorly and made very little sense with your input.  

JS - does that mean just saying?

8 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Very good and detailed analyzis, than you!

ps.:

Did you count the savings from releasing Davis and putting Luck on IR into the rollover? I ask because spotract has the rollover at 18.3, and I think that does not include it yet.

Spotrac's numbers don't include Davis in 2018. There were no cap savings in 2017, his salary was guaranteed as of Week 1. 

No savings from Luck going to IR either. Some players have an injury split, but Luck's 2017 salary was guaranteed for injury, and his roster bonus was guaranteed in March. 

21 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I've got all the posts in question right here.  For kicks and giggles, let's go through them one by one.

In the post above, DaveA simply stated that he believed Desir should be brought back.  Note he said nothing about him being an All Star or really anything else.  Just that he should be brought back which is a reasonable belief.

I would contend that Desir made more than the one play you reference.  I would agree that Wilson should have been playing more but will point out that maybe, just maybe the reason Wilson wasn't playing more was Desir actually outplayed him.  You may have noticed that Wilson's playing time increased pretty much the moment that Desir got hurt.  Correlation?  Make you wonder.

This is of course not an English class.  However the points you do make can be easier to comprehend with just a touch more punctuation.  Also I think your points would be better if there was actually a point to them, but that is just me.  

I would also contend that referencing others as dumb is not a good tact to take when you have written so poorly and made very little sense with your input.  

JS - does that mean just saying?

Quincy playing time increased cuz melvin got hurt and Quincy is better then Dessir in my opinion cuz he had to cover better guys then him

Velskrevet artikel - så godt arbejde ;)

Vi har masser af penge at bruge i free agency, men tænker Ballard og den nye Head Coach lige ser tiden an, og at Colts kun henter en eller to store free agent signings. 

Kunne være lækkert med et par solide O-line fyre, og gerne nogle som har bevist sig eller er unge og på vej frem.

Ballard har jo udtalt at han vil bygge holdet igennem draften, og ikke igennem free agency, så mon ikke han laver et par solide handler og drafter kvalitets talenter igen i år.

Men det bliver først og fremmest spændende og se hvem vi lander som Head Coach, hvilket nok også vil have indflydelse på om vi drafter Barkley, Chubb eller en O-line mand. 

For those of you who cant speak or read danish, use google translate ;) 

Det er på tide med lidt diversitet og dansk indflydelse på dette forum ;)

Happy new year and go colts ;)

11 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Velskrevet artikel - så godt arbejde ;)

Vi har masser af penge at bruge i free agency, men tænker Ballard og den nye Head Coach lige ser tiden an, og at Colts kun henter en eller to store free agent signings. 

Kunne være lækkert med et par solide O-line fyre, og gerne nogle som har bevist sig eller er unge og på vej frem.

Ballard har jo udtalt at han vil bygge holdet igennem draften, og ikke igennem free agency, så mon ikke han laver et par solide handler og drafter kvalitets talenter igen i år.

Men det bliver først og fremmest spændende og se hvem vi lander som Head Coach, hvilket nok også vil have indflydelse på om vi drafter Barkley, Chubb eller en O-line mand. 

For those of you who cant speak or read danish, use google translate ;) 

Det er på tide med lidt diversitet og dansk indflydelse på dette forum ;)

Happy new year and go colts ;)

I think you touched on some good points there. Spelling is a little off :D.