Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those of you who are SO against taking a RB in 1st take a look at Cowboys ....

jshipp23

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Marlon Mack is another wasted pick just like Wilson.  Ballard has really flamed out on his draft class.  His FA's were awesome though.  It looks like Polian is the only one who knows how to draft RB's.  

Not sure I'd call him a bust.... For all of the people caliing for him to get more carries they only see the couple of big plays which he was drafted for he is here to be a complimentary back not the lead back.   He is not a between the tackle runner and has never been.   Those calling for him to be the feature back just don't understand football very well and only see the flashy stuff

One of his biggest weaknesses coming out of college were the fumbles which have been a real problem throughout college and now here.  

Here os his pre draft write up   http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marlon-mack?id=2558123

STRENGTHS

Looks like he has ball bearings in his hips. Able to swivel in multiple directions. Can tilt and slalom around defenders on the second and third level and is able to string moves together. Has slippery feet and is hard to pin down when bouncing laterally. Runs with knee bend and his pad level is low at contact. Explosive burst carries him into his getaway gear. Able to run away from tacklers. Six of his fifteen touchdowns this year went for 43-plus yards. Always plays fast. Contain buster to the outside. Finds ways to slither out of tackles. Hands showed improvement as pass catcher.

WEAKNESSES

Runs with inconsistent power through contact. Will need to accelerate through contact on next level. Serial run bouncer. Too willing to make wild bounces to the furthest reaches of the perimeter if interior lanes are gummed up. Lacks a committed approach between the tackles. Feet start dancing if he doesn't see an early point of entry. On jet sweeps, he rarely looked to cut it downhill in space and defaulted to the wide track. Has a very poor fumble rate over this three years and has put the ball on the ground twelve times. Ducks head into traffic to finish rather than keeping eyes scanning.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3-4

NFL COMPARISON

Denard Robinson

BOTTOM LINE

Scat back with decent size and blazing getaway speed. Mack has plenty of wiggle to bounce from run lane to run lane and make tacklers miss, but he has a penchant for looking to break runs way outside when the interior becomes too trafficked and he won't be able to get away with that against NFL speed. Mack is a complementary runner who can hit big runs against defenses who have been worn down, but he needs to be matched with the right scheme in order to unlock his big-play potential.   

-Lance Zierlein

We all all agree he has speed and can make great cuts when in open field....

but it look at the weaknesses.   They are dead on correct...  and he will need to be used as he is being used. Just in a better system.....  

2 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Not sure I'd call him a bust.... For all of the people caliing for him to get more carries they only see the couple of big plays which he was drafted for he is here to be a complimentary back not the lead back.   He is not a between the tackle runner and has never been.   Those calling for him to be the feature back just don't understand football very well and only see the flashy stuff

One of his biggest weaknesses coming out of college were the fumbles which have been a real problem throughout college and now here.  

Here os his pre draft write up   http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marlon-mack?id=2558123

We all all agree he has speed and can make great cuts when in open field....

but it look at the weaknesses.   They are dead on correct...  and he will need to be used as he is being used. Just in a better system.....  

Boy that is a great description of his weaknesses.  Spot on.  Not a feature back IMO.  We need to find one for sure.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:30 AM, jshipp23 said:

Winning will do nothing for us, if we go on a magical run and win next 6 make the playoffs I will be cheering the hardest...Not gonna happen though...We need Saquon Barkley he is the next A.P, Zeke, Barry Sanders,  franchise changing type RB!! Get Barkley Rd 1, address other issues in rds 2-7, and with the mountain of Cap space we will have..Barkley and a legitimate NFL coach we will be 13-3 next year with a bye PERIOD, with Luck or Brissett...I personally don't think Luck will ever be the same again, and I see enormous potential in Brissett..Flip luck for assets while it's still possible, bring in Harbaugh or Gruden and draft BARKLEY..Easy as pie...

Sorry, but the Association of Good NCAA Running Backs is opposed to trying to gain yardage behind Colts O-Line.

On 11/24/2017 at 1:49 PM, richard pallo said:

I think it's obvious we did use needs when we drafted last year.  Our first three picks were Hooker,Wilson and Basham and all of their positions were defensive needs.  You really don't think needs had anything to do with those picks.  Just coincidence.  You have to look at the players available at the time of your pick and the needs of the roster.  I think that's what Ballard will do.  He won't trade Brissett if he has concerns about Luck but I think Luck will be good to go.  Personally I think they or Luck himself rushed the rehab program but that's just me.  I think he needed more time to recover.  Everyone is different.   Finding a quality veteran backup shouldn't be that difficult so if Luck is looking better by draft time I can see Ballard entertaining offers.  

Whether or not Ballard focused on needs when drafting last year, a good drafter doesn't focus on needs, and he certainly won't reach for a perceived need when there's a better player on the board, with respect to positional value.

And I think Hooker is an example of sticking to the board. Safety wasn't our biggest need at all, that was probably edge rusher at the time, followed by corner. He could have reached for Harris (who he reportedly loved), McKinley, Charlton, Watt, or Humphrey (not really a reach, he went at 16 which was his expected range), Jackson, Conley (probably not on Ballard's board by draft day) or White), but held true and took the best player on his board. Hooker slipped a good 5-10 spots because of his injury, there's little question that he was a top 10 player, the best free safety in the draft, and in most eyes, the best player on the board at any position. 

I'd argue ILB was a bigger need than safety, and Ballard didn't reach for Davis or Foster. I think he stuck to his board.

As for Luck, it's my opinion that the Colts need to go into 2018 at least 2 deep at every position, and that they should err on the side of caution when it comes to relying on players returning from injury. Luck is the foremost example of that, having not even practiced fully for an entire season. We have Brissett, who has labored through an entire season without having a full grasp of the playbook, who has shown an ability to be a very capable backup despite his circumstances and limitations, and who will only be better with the benefit of a full offseason in our program (whatever program that happens to be). If, for whatever reason, Luck is limited, unable to go, has a setback, whatever, Brissett is the perfect backup for the Colts. And until Luck is clearly past this shoulder issue, I think it would be foolish of the Colts to part with Brissett. They should probably carry three QBs all next season, to be honest.

If a team makes an astronomical offer for him, then fine. But the Pats only got a second rounder for Garappolo, and it was reported that fielded multiple offers from multiple teams over the last several months. They finally jumped at a second rounder, more than a year after Garappolo had played a meaningful down? And Garappolo only had a couple starts. Brissett has more book and has probably been more impressive, overall, given the circumstances. I think we could potentially get a strong 2019 pick after the 2018 season, with enough time for Brissett to actually benefit his new team with a year left on his rookie deal. I'd rather just wait and see what happens with Luck. I don't see why there's any hurry to deal Brissett. 

55 minutes ago, Superman said:

RP has lost it.

We need to stop making determinations on draft picks in the middle of their first pro season, guys. Good or bad, but especially this rush to call 21 year old football players "busts." 

Quincy hasn't even looked bad when he has played thats why idk what the hell he is even talking about.

There are 6 other rounds in the draft and free agency to fix oline. ..Health and new coaching staff will do wonders....We have spent high picks on oline plenty and it's a crapshoot, takes time for them to develop....I would rather sign a cpl young NFL proven guys in free agency for the line, and get the surefire guy in Barkley picking that high in draft....

7 hours ago, SanDiegoColt8 said:

Id rather use the 1st round pick on Pass Rush or Oline. If Colts want a game changing RB go throw huge money at Bell in FA. 

Sure thing??? Have you seen his play over the last few weeks? Far from a sure thing. We can get a good back in later rounds. 

32 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

Secondary isn’t terrible.

Melvin Hairston Wilson Desir

Hooker Geathers Farley 

We need LBs desperately. Along with oline. 

Granted, LBs are part of the passing defense but here are some numbers on the Colts passing D-third worst in the NFL ahead of NE and Tampa in total yards allowed at 2,974 and tied for the lead in average yards per reception at 8.2. Either way there is need of help somewhere back there.

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But what did that get the Vikings? How many rings does AP wear?

what is your point?  the fact is you need a great qb to win a super bowl

if you dont have that it wont matter what you draft be it a running back or a good defense or oline.  

here are the QBs that went after AP in his draft class- brady quinn, drew stanton, kevin klob and nick folk

21 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Granted, LBs are part of the passing defense but here are some numbers on the Colts passing D-third worst in the NFL ahead of NE and Tampa in total yards allowed at 2,974 and tied for the lead in average yards per reception at 8.2. Either way there is need of help somewhere back there.

secondary is fine, a lot of our yards are given up by line backers. plus last i looked we were middle of the pack in sacks.  we still need an edge rusher even though sheard has been solid

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

what is your point?  the fact is you need a great qb to win a super bowl

if you dont have that it wont matter what you draft be it a running back or a good defense or oline.  

here are the QBs that went after AP in his draft class- brady quinn, drew stanton, kevin klob and nick folk

My point is simple. Taking a RB in the first round when your most glaring need is offensive linemen and a pass rusher does not make a team a winner. If we don't protect out QB no matter who it is, a RB is not going to bring us wins. Second, a pass rusher is needed over a RB because without one or two we cant hold leads.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

My point is simple. Taking a RB in the first round when your most glaring need is offensive linemen and a pass rusher does not make a team a winner. If we don't protect out QB no matter who it is, a RB is not going to bring us wins. Second, a pass rusher is needed over a RB because without one or two we cant hold leads.

im not just talking about the colts!

im saying in general first round running backs can still be a good choice, its not that cut and dry 

i would be looking at edge rushers in this draft above all else in the first round.  they may not be on the board though and i would not rule out barkley.   

4 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

A consistent 4+ yards a carry back changes everything in regards to protecting your QB.

You don't have a 4+ yards per carry RB without a decent o-line in front of him. It's hard for any RB to have any consistency when they are hit in the back field a lot of the time.

A strong OL is a factor on every offensive play, whether it be run blocking or pass protection.  A strong OL makes the running game better, no matter who is carrying the ball...doesn't have to be a 1st round RB.  A strong OL will protect the QB, and given enough time to pass, even a middle of the road talent at QB can be successful.  Luck is our franchise and if he had great pass protection, then he stays healthy and can pick apart defenses.

Edge rushers are important, but are only a factor if the opposing team is passing the ball, so they don't factor in every defensive play.  We've improved in stopping the run along our DL and I would rather we improve our linebacking group that can support pass and run defense overall.  I think defensive schemes can make up for a lack of an edge rusher, because the opposing OL needs to account for more people when blitzes from different areas are used.  Yes, an edge rusher is great to have, but in the overall picture, a strong OL and balance on defense is more important to me.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't have a 4+ yards per carry RB without a decent o-line in front of him. It's hard for any RB to have any consistency when they are hit in the back field a lot of the time.

That's why in earlier post I said get 2 quality guards 

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

A strong OL is a factor on every offensive play, whether it be run blocking or pass protection.  A strong OL makes the running game better, no matter who is carrying the ball...doesn't have to be a 1st round RB.  A strong OL will protect the QB, and given enough time to pass, even a middle of the road talent at QB can be successful.  Luck is our franchise and if he had great pass protection, then he stays healthy and can pick apart defenses.

Edge rushers are important, but are only a factor if the opposing team is passing the ball, so they don't factor in every defensive play.  We've improved in stopping the run along our DL and I would rather we improve our linebacking group that can support pass and run defense overall.  I think defensive schemes can make up for a lack of an edge rusher, because the opposing OL needs to account for more people when blitzes from different areas are used.  Yes, an edge rusher is great to have, but in the overall picture, a strong OL and balance on defense is more important to me.

Not having pass rushers puts a strain on the whole defense. It makes your linebackers and D backs have to cover their men longer therefore giving the offense of the other team more opportunity to move the ball and score. Pass rushers also produce turnovers. When your team cause strip sacks, it's a beautiful thing.

I'm of the belief that a great o-line masks a lot of sins, but drafting a great o-line is not easy.  Lots of high end picks on the line never pan out.  I agree with OP that acquiring line talent in FA is the most reliable way of building an o-line.  Not sure I'ld take Barkley that high.  I'll admit having not seen Barkley play that much,  but Bryce Love out of Stanford might be the more valuable pick later in the draft.

On 11/24/2017 at 7:30 AM, jshipp23 said:

Saquon Barkley he is the next A.P, Zeke, Barry Sanders,  franchise changing type RB!!

How many Superbowls have these guys won?  

What we need is what we have needed for many years - a top rate O-line. Good running backs look great behind a stout line.  QBs look great behind a stout line too.

57 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Any particular FA Tackles you have your eye on? Doesnt look like much of a selection this yr. 

That's a good question. Good offensive linemen are pretty hard to find as a free agent. Most of the good ones are resigned and stay because they are so in need.