Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 Colts who are earning contract extensions

NannyMcafee

On 2017-11-20 at 7:44 PM, jameszeigler834 said:

I like Adam and he is a great kicker but it might be time to get younger at the position.

If he’s still delivering like he consistently does, I would let him keep playing into his 50s.  Seems kind of asinine to say replace him with youth, when the kicking position is about one thing, making the kicks.

Only name in that list I agree with is Vinateri.

Melvin is 28 and still just a complementary corner. He’s not worth breaking the bank for at 28 years old. He’s surprised but is the type of guy a team can get tricked into overpaying for. 

Desir is a one season wonder. Those are always the one player you never give a big payday to. He’s a good depth corner but not a 16 game starter IMO.

Bostic isn’t good. There’s zero reason to resign him, especially with a deep ILB class. 

Mingo hasnt done anything to warrant not being resigned, but he also isn’t a must keep. He’s a versatile player who does a lot of different things for the Colts. However he’s depth and isn’t a full time starter. If he wants starter money, he should walk.

On November 20, 2017 at 8:49 PM, King Colt said:

Not criticizing him but there are many alternatives to him plus he will not be unemployed for any length of time and he commands talent  if traded. If he stays that is fine with me but he should be valuable on the grading block and the Colts need talent.

Not an overly brilliant post...

1) He is a free agent.

2) NFL teams are generally not in the business of trading for a kicker

3) NFL teams are never in the business of trading for a 45 year old kicker.

Vinateri is a given of course.

The rest still have a lot to prove regarding consistency.

Bostic has caught my attention of late. The guy appears to be playing faster and tackles well.
 Considering his age and skill set, and for the $$ he will likely get,  he could well be the right FA vet for us for another 1-2 years.

6 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Not an overly brilliant post...

1) He is a free agent.

2) NFL teams are generally not in the business of trading for a kicker

3) NFL teams are never in the business of trading for a 45 year old kicker.

They draft kickers and they trade kickers and 45 today is not 45 20 years ago.

On 11/20/2017 at 7:38 PM, King Colt said:

Get rid of Bostic and Vinatieri

There are tons of horrible kickers in the NFL.  Tons of teams have waived kickers this year and tried new ones.  If Adam wants to come back for another year, why wouldn't you want that?  He's money, he rarely misses.  They can worry about a kicker after he retires. 

6 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

There are tons of horrible kickers in the NFL.  Tons of teams have waived kickers this year and tried new ones.  If Adam wants to come back for another year, why wouldn't you want that?  He's money, he rarely misses.  They can worry about a kicker after he retires. 

I would not object to keeping him but if there is a good looking kicker in the draft why not have them compete for the job? Also, I just watched the Seahawks lose any chance of winning when their kicker came up short. The NFL kicker pool looks pretty sad so he will not be unemployed. One kicker missed three attempts a couple weeks go. The time to worry about any player in any position is when he can keep your head above water until you replace him. Why wait until you have no one? The Eagles got caught last Sunday against the Cowboys with no kicker at all and it put them in a big jam.

23 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think Ballard is the type to just throw anything around. But I do expect him to be a big player in free agency. Maybe no top of the market guys, but I expect him to sign 4-5 guys who will be projected starters in 2018. I think he needs to sign two starting caliber OL (slim pickings, but Andrew Norwell and James Hurst come to mind), a starting caliber corner (two if Melvin leaves), a slot receiver (Jordan Matthews / Jarvis Landry), and a starting caliber ILB (I think Hodges and Brown both did one year deals).

The other spots that need to be addressed he can handle by committee, like he did with DL and ILB this year. I might take a swing at Sheldon Richardson, but probably not at the price he'll want. I might want to take a stab at Bennie Logan, also.

Then the draft is just an honest 'take the best players' effort, with respect to draft value and all that. I haven't watched him very much, but Bradley Chubb is getting a lot of hype, and his production is outrageous. He might be a top tier edge rush prospect.

Supe. Hodges was cut by the Bills after they signed FA's prior to week 1 and sat on his couch til the Saints signed him the second week of October. The Bills were not a good fit IMO.

I wanted to sign him this off season then I called for him while he sat on his couch. I don't know what that was about or how he's doing in NO. We must not have any interest seeing we let him sit as a FA for 6 weeks this season.

I don't understand that especially with our ILB's. It's a position I think needs a FA and a early draft pick this off season.  I think ILB and G are the two spots we have to address. Both need two guy's who can legitimately compete to start. 

At G I like Norwell in FA. I hope Ballard picks his guy and makes it happen.. We have cap space. It seems forever we've been pissing around at RG.  I don't see Ballard going G with an early 1st. I do think he grabs one. 

I think we go Edge in the first. I'd watch Key. He  is starting to get right from the shoulder. That would scare me. He's a freakish athlete and he's said to love football He worked on his own with pass rushing coaches. He sounds like a guy Ballard will like.

There are few guys who probably don't go in the 1st I like. The LSU problem who transferred to SE Louisiana Teuhema and Carter UGA are a couple. We need fo get an ILB early too. I'd be fine if we went LB's the first 2 days. I think we end up with a WR some where along the way maybe early. 

As far as Melvin.if we can't  sign him to a fair deal then let him walk. You want to sign a FA if we bring Melvin and Desir back along with Q and Hairston? We have DJ White the 6th rounder who beat out Kei'vore Russell in KC. Q can't find any playing time now. 

18 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I would not object to keeping him but if there is a good looking kicker in the draft why not have them compete for the job? Also, I just watched the Seahawks lose any chance of winning when their kicker came up short. The NFL kicker pool looks pretty sad so he will not be unemployed. One kicker missed three attempts a couple weeks go. The time to worry about any player in any position is when he can keep your head above water until you replace him. Why wait until you have no one? The Eagles got caught last Sunday against the Cowboys with no kicker at all and it put them in a big jam.

You are talking about replacing Adam because he might slip? Why not do the same with Luck? Hilton? The importance of having a good kicker is all the more reason to keep a proven player. You want to draft a kicker? Sanchez should get the first look there. He handled all kicking duties at Hawaii. Kicking a career 97% XP's and 87.5% fg's. He's probably being groomed by the goat as we speak 

29 minutes ago, King Colt said:

True.  I'd much rather let Adam be the Colts kicker until he wants to retire.  I am sure it won't be for much longer.  We've been pretty spoiled as Colts fans with kickers.  Had some pretty good ones. 

8 hours ago, akcolt said:

You are talking about replacing Adam because he might slip? Why not do the same with Luck? Hilton? The importance of having a good kicker is all the more reason to keep a proven player. You want to draft a kicker? Sanchez should get the first look there. He handled all kicking duties at Hawaii. Kicking a career 97% XP's and 87.5% fg's. He's probably being groomed by the goat as we speak 

I know when a team  is scared to move players they end up like the 2016 & 2017 Colts. No guarantees ever. Does NE  go after only proven winners or does Belichick see a potential talent then exploit it in a single function. If he see a tough fullback but he likes him as a LB where do you think that player will play? It's a roll of the dice.

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Only name in that list I agree with is Vinateri.

Melvin is 28 and still just a complementary corner. He’s not worth breaking the bank for at 28 years old. He’s surprised but is the type of guy a team can get tricked into overpaying for. 

Desir is a one season wonder. Those are always the one player you never give a big payday to. He’s a good depth corner but not a 16 game starter IMO.

Bostic isn’t good. There’s zero reason to resign him, especially with a deep ILB class. 

Mingo hasnt done anything to warrant not being resigned, but he also isn’t a must keep. He’s a versatile player who does a lot of different things for the Colts. However he’s depth and isn’t a full time starter. If he wants starter money, he should walk.

I’d look into keeping Melvin and Desir on short term contracts like two years.  If they prove to be one year wonders those contracts won’t kill the team.

i didn’t get why Bostic was on the list. MLBer needs an overhaul for the most part.

Mingo has been around the ball the last couple of weeks when he has gotten a chance to play.  I’d be fine with giving him another one year deal.

Honestly other than Adam no one is proving to be a must keep but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t mind having some of them back at the right price and length.  

Also Adam is no sure thing.  Ballard is a new GM who might decide to get younger.  I want to keep Adam but we will have to wait and see what Ballard does.  

On 11/23/2017 at 1:36 AM, GoColts8818 said:

I’d look into keeping Melvin and Desir on short term contracts like two years.  If they prove to be one year wonders those contracts won’t kill the team.

i didn’t get why Bostic was on the list. MLBer needs an overhaul for the most part.

Mingo has been around the ball the last couple of weeks when he has gotten a chance to play.  I’d be fine with giving him another one year deal.

Honestly other than Adam no one is proving to be a must keep but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t mind having some of them back at the right price and length.  

Also Adam is no sure thing.  Ballard is a new GM who might decide to get younger.  I want to keep Adam but we will have to wait and see what Ballard does.  

Thats the key there. Right price and length. A few of the guys are going to want more money than they’re worth. Melvin for example. He’ll probably want 4 years and $10 million per but he’s not worth that. I’d take him on a 1 year deal but he’ll want to test the market. Unless a bunch of the guys on the list will settle for 1-2 year deals, most of them walk. Remember Ballard’s words: Raise your own

Assuming we run the same D next season I would like to see all brought back next year at the right price years guaranteed money . Don't see any as must signs break the bank for type of  players though . With the hopeful return of Luck next year would like to have to have some continuity on the D to not put some much pressure on Luck to make big plays while taking a beating .

On 11/22/2017 at 12:50 PM, akcolt said:

There's a reason why you don't want one guy to do all your kicking.....

Because if he ever gets hurt, then you have to replace him with TWO kickers.

Plus,  if he's doing all the kicking you increase the chances of leg fatigue and then your only kicker will likely perform poorly in multiple ways.

Way too much downside, and not enough upside to have one guy go everything.

On 11/20/2017 at 8:44 PM, jameszeigler834 said:

I like Adam and he is a great kicker but it might be time to get younger at the position.

PLease make a better argument than we just need to get younger at the KICKER position?? He is still kicking highly accurate it appears from 50+ and you feel we need to get younger?? Does he need youth to be a kicker? Nope, not when he is not showing 1 sign that his kicking wheel is falling off. You ride that leg at least 1 more season and see if he breaks the scoring record and then let him retire. This is the one player on our team who hasn’t been completely solid every single year. You absolutely know what you are getting from him, what more will you get from a younger kicker? This theory of getting younger at the kicker position makes ZERO sense here. 

On 11/24/2017 at 9:40 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Thats the key there. Right price and length. A few of the guys are going to want more money than they’re worth. Melvin for example. He’ll probably want 4 years and $10 million per but he’s not worth that. I’d take him on a 1 year deal but he’ll want to test the market. Unless a bunch of the guys on the list will settle for 1-2 year deals, most of them walk. Remember Ballard’s words: Raise your own

Every GM says this, it isn’t something Ballard coined. I’ve never seen one GM say that it’s best to operate from FA and get your team solved through other teams players. Every GM will say, build from draft and supplement from the FA market and grow your own first. It’s almost universal speak. Any team will do well if they focus on drafting well first, then develop them into your system as stars and resign them at their peak because they are really good players and they’ve proven they fit your system already. Only go to the FA market for that special talent that fits your style and will fit your philosophy and because one of those drafted players you took didn’t develop as you hoped or injuries took their career. It’s always the mantra to draft well first. 

The kicker isn't a position you need to develop.  Punter, same - Rigoberto steps right in.  You ride Vinatieri as long as he wants to do it, and I'm sure Adam wants a few more seasons with Luck.  He wants to go out winning, not like this.