Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Assuming the Colts fire Chud next year...

RockThatBlue

22 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Who would you want as the new OC??

There's probably a pretty good chance the Browns fire Hue Jackson. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the next Colts OC. I mean the guy made Andy Dalton look like a good QB. And Dalton has not been the same since Hue left.

Thoughts???

I'm not exactly familiar with all of the possible options, but Hue would be fine with me. If we can get anyone who has sense enough to install a quick-pass style offense to keep Luck standing up after the throw, I'll make them dinner. Beef stroganoff with a side of soup with angel hair noodles, herbs, and a hint of garlic. On the house. 

It it will help make our offensive line look capable in pass pro. 

Bringing in an OC?  Are you saying we retain Chuck?  Not sure how I feel about that. He needed a dynamic OC long ago. He chose Chud so he should be fired with Chud.

But if he’s kept, Jackson or Kubiak would be AMAZING.  Both with HC experience, so Chuck would probably stay the hell out their way and let them do their job without any of his foolishness.  Jackson is a great teacher. Many consider a QB whisperer. I think he could help Luck take the next step in his progression. 

That Kubiak system (similar to Shanahan right?) almost seems perfect for Luck. His mobility and arm strength would make him the new Elway (who he was most compared to coming out) on those naked boots...

Give me either over Chud. Pretty please. 

Not too keen on Kubiak tbh. This article sums it up pretty well. 

https://milehighsports.com/the-gary-kubiak-offense-has-lost-its-touch/

His offensive scheme simply isn’t cutting it. Not only does it look antiquated and outdated, but Kubiak also appears to have completely abandoned the bread-and-butter elements. When’s the last time he rolled the quarterback out of the pocket or run play-action? It’s frankly baffling. Denver’s offense has become a series of 5-yard outs and running back dives between the tackles, which has led to three-and-out after three-and-out because everyone knows what’s coming.

That’s on the coaching staff.

It’s reasonable to say that Kubiak doesn’t have the players he needs to succeed (specifically on the offensive line). He’s always relied heavily on a solid front five and he simply doesn’t have that. It’s also fair to say that Kubiak isn’t making much of an effort to put his players in a position to succeed. Running Booker straight up the middle 15 times a game isn’t working; why not try getting him to the outside? When your tackles are being eaten alive play after play, why not give them tight end help? They drafted an athletic quarterback, why not utilize that athleticism? "

Sounds like a lot of the same issues we have with Chud..... Why we would trade one antiquated system for another is beyond me. 

Personally, id rather switch to an Erhardt/Perkins style offense, relying on simple pass concepts that can be used in a multitude of formations. My hope would be that we bring in Josh McDaniels to be our HC, with him calling the plays and bringing in whatever OC he thinks will help him the best. 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Bringing in an OC?  Are you saying we retain Chuck?  Not sure how I feel about that. He needed a dynamic OC long ago. He chose Chud so he should be fired with Chud.

But if he’s kept, Jackson or Kubiak would be AMAZING.  Both with HC experience, so Chuck would probably stay the hell out their way and let them do their job without any of his foolishness.  Jackson is a great teacher. Many consider a QB whisperer. I think he could help Luck take the ne t step in his progression. 

That Kubiak system (similar to Shanahan right?) almost seems perfect for Luck. His mobility and arm strength would make him the new Elway (who he was most compared to coming out) on those naked boots...

Give me either over Chud. Pretty please. 

So Chuck could stay out of the way? Ain't that what he is in hot water now for? Most are calling him responsible for not stepping in and doing something as it is, and you want him to do what you hold negative against him?

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Sounds like a lot of the same issues we have with Chud..... Why we would trade one antiquated system for another is beyond me. 

Personally, id rather switch to an Erhardt/Perkins style offense, relying on simple pass concepts that can be used in a multitude of formations. My hope would be that we bring in Josh McDaniels to be our HC, with him calling the plays and bringing in whatever OC he thinks will help him the best. 

The article linked is from December if 16...

That was Peyton's last year, when he was badly breaking down.   And the backup who took over for five or so games....  was Brock Osweiler...

Offenses don't look good or perform well when there is terrible QB play...

With the proper pieces there's no reason to think the offense couldn't work for us...

Just saying...

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The article linked is from December if 16...

That was Peyton's last year, when he was badly breaking down.   And the backup who took over for five or so games....  was Brock Osweiler...

Offenses don't look good or perform well when there is terrible QB play...

With the proper pieces there's no reason to think the offense couldn't work for us...

Just saying...

Peyton/Osweiler was 2015. Dec 2016 was last season, when Manning was retired and Oz was in Houston.... So not sure where you are coming up with that... 

Article even mentions him not doing anything with mobile QBs like Seimian and Lynch:

"This season it was thought that with two young, athletic quarterbacks Broncos Country would finally see what made Kubiak such a hot commodity in the early 2000s. Not so fast. Neither Trevor Siemian nor Paxton Lynch has had such success this season (outside of a few good quarters here and there)."

20 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Peyton/Osweiler was 2015. Dec 2016 was last season, when Manning was retired and Oz was in Houston.... So not sure where you are coming up with that... 

Article even mentions him not doing anything with mobile QBs like Seimian and Lynch:

"This season it was thought that with two young, athletic quarterbacks Broncos Country would finally see what made Kubiak such a hot commodity in the early 2000s. Not so fast. Neither Trevor Siemian nor Paxton Lynch has had such success this season (outside of a few good quarters here and there)."

Sorry....   brain fart on my behalf...   The hazard of posting too late when I'm tired...

Thanks for the good catch!   Always appreciate it!      :thmup:

6 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I don't know Shaub had some great years in that system and he wasn't close to the talent Luck is . 

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So Chuck could stay out of the way? Ain't that what he is in hot water now for? Most are calling him responsible for not stepping in and doing something as it is, and you want him to do what you hold negative against him?

I never said I hold anything negative against him for not stepping in and doing something. Looks like you’re taking my statement and linking it with others (or most others) opinions. Judge me on my opinions alone.  The foolishness I’m referring to with Chuck is being ULTRA conservative. Coaching not to lose as opposed to trying to win. I’m specifically referring to running the last 15 seconds off the clock before half and settling for a field goal on the 10 yard line going in.  All while having a timeout...  That’s 2-3 shots at a touchdown...

Those kind of decisions, I would prefer he’d leave up to the experienced OC’s we’d bring in while retaining Chuck. Chud is experienced too but his gameplans are too helter skelter. We don’t know what we’re gonna get quarter to quarter. Let alone game to game...  I personally want Chuck & Chud gone and McDaniels brought in. I was simply speculating on a scenario of Chuck being retained and a New OC being brought in. I have never been for Chuck doing “more” on the offensive side of the ball. That would be madness...  If Chuck is behind the improvement and growth of Melvin, Desir, & Hairston then I think we should retain him as our DB’s coach. 

Not sure about Hue Jackson.  I think Dalton took his share of hits when Jackson was there, so I'm not sure he embraces the quick step offense that I think Luck needs.

Kubiak needs specific kinds of players for his O.  Linemen need to be athletic and mobile.  RBs are the one cut and go type.  And the QB needs to be able to roll out....not like Manning or Osweiler.

And any time your QB is designed to roll out, he exposes his body to an oncoming LB.  This is why the pure Bill Walsh west coast offense fell out of favor in the NFL.

4 hours ago, B~Town said:

I don't know Shaub had some great years in that system and he wasn't close to the talent Luck is . 

And players previously had success with Chud. Derek Anderson had his best year under Chud. Cam Newton was rookie of the year in his offense, and he has had WRs lead the NFL in yards twice in the last 5 seasons (Hilton- 2016, Gordon-2013). Still doesnt change that his offense is stagnant/predictable for long stretches and leads to our QB taking far too many unnecessary hits. 

Success in the past doesnt guarantee success in the future, especially when recent history proves otherwise. Times change and some coaches fail to properly adapt.

Kubiak had 2 rough years offensively with 4 different QBs at the helm of his offense. He is accused of predictable playcalling, not changing his system to properly fit his players strengths, putting too much on the shoulders of a poor quality OL, and an overall issue with poor game plans leading to 3 and outs. Those are the same issues most people on this board seem to have with Chud. Id even go so far as to say that Chud has had more success with his offense in the last 2 years. Why downgrade on the hope that Kubiak can get it together and find whatever it is that his offense has lost in recent years?

13 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

And players previously had success with Chud. Derek Anderson had his best year under Chud. Cam Newton was rookie of the year in his offense, and he has had WRs lead the NFL in yards twice in the last 5 seasons (Hilton- 2016, Gordon-2013). Still doesnt change that his offense is stagnant/predictable for long stretches and leads to our QB taking far too many unnecessary hits. 

Success in the past doesnt guarantee success in the future, especially when recent history proves otherwise. Times change and some coaches fail to properly adapt.

Kubiak had 2 rough years offensively with 4 different QBs at the helm of his offense. He is accused of predictable playcalling, not changing his system to properly fit his players strengths, putting too much on the shoulders of a poor quality OL, and an overall issue with poor game plans leading to 3 and outs. Those are the same issues most people on this board seem to have with Chud. Id even go so far as to say that Chud has had more success with his offense in the last 2 years. Why downgrade on the hope that Kubiak can get it together and find whatever it is that his offense has lost in recent years?

Care to name those QBs?  Were any of them any good?  When he(Kubiak) had a functional QB the offense was fine.  And when I say functional I mean when Shaub was actually playing well. The offense was very productive through the air and on the ground. It also preserved their defense which was also a very productive unit. It wouldn't be a downgrade.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Care to name those QBs?  Were any of them any good?  When he(Kubiak) had a functional QB the offense was fine.  It was very productive through the air and on the ground.

How is that any different than saying Chud should stay because Luck is hurt this year? We had a top 10 offense with a healthy Luck. Hilton lead the league in receiving yards. 

I still think Chud needs to go. He shows a lack of creativity and doesnt seem willing to make changes to put his players in the best position to succeed, which is EXACTLY what I saw from Kubiak his last 2 years in Denver. 

I also have no issue saying that Kubiak didnt have great QBs those 2 years. But again, Chud has had offensive success with the likes of Derek Anderson, Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden. Whats Kubiaks excuse?? 

We dont know what we have in Luck going forward. Im optimistic, but not certain of anything. If he comes back and isn't the same player, where will we be with Kubiak? My guess is exactly where Denver was offensively in 2015/2016, but without the stellar defense to ride to the superbowl. When you dont know the status of your QB, why put the offense in the hands of a guy who can only succeed with an above average QB?

And before you try to bring Brissett in as an option, he doesnt have the mobility to run Kubiaks offense properly, leaving us in the exact same situation Kubiak was having issues with in Denver, with him not able to properly adapt to his QBs limitations. 

57 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

How is that any different than saying Chud should stay because Luck is hurt this year? We had a top 10 offense with a healthy Luck. Hilton lead the league in receiving yards. 

I still think Chud needs to go. He shows a lack of creativity and doesnt seem willing to make changes to put his players in the best position to succeed, which is EXACTLY what I saw from Kubiak his last 2 years in Denver. 

I also have no issue saying that Kubiak didnt have great QBs those 2 years. But again, Chud has had offensive success with the likes of Derek Anderson, Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden. Whats Kubiaks excuse?? 

We dont know what we have in Luck going forward. Im optimistic, but not certain of anything. If he comes back and isn't the same player, where will we be with Kubiak? My guess is exactly where Denver was offensively in 2015/2016, but without the stellar defense to ride to the superbowl. When you dont know the status of your QB, why put the offense in the hands of a guy who can only succeed with an above average QB?

And before you try to bring Brissett in as an option, he doesnt have the mobility to run Kubiaks offense properly, leaving us in the exact same situation Kubiak was having issues with in Denver, with him not able to properly adapt to his QBs limitations. 

So you're calling what Chud has done with our backup quarterbacks "Succeeding"?  All 17 pts per game.   And it was about that bad under Hasslebeck as well.  IF we use the logic that backups are going to perform better under Chuds system.  And I'm not here to bash Chud.  I just prefer a run first system that utilizes a great deal of play action passing.   That's not what Chuds system is.  I just prefer that style of system Kubiak runs.   I think Brissett would be fine.  He's more mobile than Shaub ever was and it's not like they put the QB on the run a whole lot in that system anyway.  It's mostly on bootlegs which are already using those with Brissett anyway.

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I never said I hold anything negative against him for not stepping in and doing something. Looks like you’re taking my statement and linking it with others (or most others) opinions. Judge me on my opinions alone.  The foolishness I’m referring to with Chuck is being ULTRA conservative. Coaching not to lose as opposed to trying to win. I’m specifically referring to running the last 15 seconds off the clock before half and settling for a field goal on the 10 yard line going in.  All while having a timeout...  That’s 2-3 shots at a touchdown...

Those kind of decisions, I would prefer he’d leave up to the experienced OC’s we’d bring in while retaining Chuck. Chud is experienced too but his gameplans are too helter skelter. We don’t know what we’re gonna get quarter to quarter. Let alone game to game...  I personally want Chuck & Chud gone and McDaniels brought in. I was simply speculating on a scenario of Chuck being retained and a New OC being brought in. I have never been for Chuck doing “more” on the offensive side of the ball. That would be madness...  If Chuck is behind the improvement and growth of Melvin, Desir, & Hairston then I think we should retain him as our DB’s coach. 

IMO Chuck will not take a position of DBs coach. That would be an insult to him if Irsay even suggested that.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

So you're calling what Chud has done with our Below AVg. quarterbacks "Succeeding"?  All 17 pts per game.   And it was about that bad under Hasslebeck as well.

Thats exactly my point. I DONT think Chuds been succeeding, but Kubiak has been just as bad, with more at his disposal (better RB options, 2 good WRs vs 1 on Colts, a top 3 defense to give the offense more opportunies). Kubiak was 1.4 PPG ahead of us in 2015 (22.2 vs 20.8). Id take Manning/Oz over Hasselbeck and the hodge podge of nobodies we rolled out that year. The next year, when Kubiak had 2 athletic QBs who fit his system, his PPG dropped to the same 20.8 PPG that Chud managed in 2015 with arguably way worse options at QB. Either way, neither of them are people I want anywhere near the Colts offense next year. 

I dont want to switch one antiquated predictable offense for another. I dont want another OC who believes his players should change to fit his schemes not the other way around. An OC that runs 15 HB dives a game and then wonder why the defense sees it coming from a mile away. 

Thats what ive seen from Kubiak in 2015 and 2016. 

I think we deserve better. 

16 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Thats exactly my point. I DONT think Chuds been succeeding, but Kubiak has been just as bad, with more at his disposal (better RB options, 2 good WRs vs 1 on Colts, a top 3 defense to give the offense more opportunies). Kubiak was 1.4 PPG ahead of us in 2015 (22.2 vs 20.8). Id take Manning/Oz over Hasselbeck and the hodge podge of nobodies we rolled out that year. The next year, when Kubiak had 2 athletic QBs who fit his system, his PPG dropped to the same 20.8 PPG that Chud managed in 2015 with arguably way worse options at QB. Either way, neither of them are people I want anywhere near the Colts offense next year. 

I dont want to switch one antiquated predictable offense for another. I dont want another OC who believes his players should change to fit his schemes not the other way around. An OC that runs 15 HB dives a game and then wonder why the defense sees it coming from a mile away. 

Thats what ive seen from Kubiak in 2015 and 2016. 

I think we deserve better. 

The offense is not antiquated, and you know good and well they don't run 15 half back dives.  And I'm quite sure if he or whoever we chose that ran that type of scheme would adjust for the type of QBs we have.  It's the same style of philosophy Andrew had at Stanford and they put up a bunch of points with it. They went about it differently in terms of the man blocking schemes, but the intention was the same.    What athletic QBs are you talking about that played for Kubiak?  None of them were athletic from my memory.   Shaub, Case Keenum, Osweiler,  Antique Peyton Manning?  And I'm not even necessarily calling for Kubiak himself.   I just like Mike Shanahans system.  It protects the QB by being balanced with the running game, but it's still agressive with the down field passes.   Heck if Chud could get me some balance and utlize more play action I'd be okay with the current system.  Problem is whoever I've seen use this current offense we have they always get too wild with all the passing and don't use the run very much.  The Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson used the Coryal in a way that I like, but overall I haven't seen many other examples.

48 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Not sure why everyone brings up 2016 and consider it Luck s best season and give the credit to Chud Best offense we have had since Luck has been here is with a much worse Oline and Trent Richardson as our running threat.  That was under Pep Hamilton when Luck led with the #1 passing offense and #3 scoring offense  and reached the AFCCG   2016 we had the 5th ranked passing offense and the 8th in scoring.   With Frank Gore and a MUCH better Oline that has an actual NFL caliber center 

Just now, krunk said:

The offense is not antiquated.  What athletic QBs are you talking that played for Kubiak?  None of them were athletic from my memory.   Shaub, Case Keenum, Osweiler,  Antique Peyton Manning. 

They dont have to be Luck/Newton/Wilson level of athletic, but need to have at least some speed to run a system that relies on bootlegs, especially when you have a below average OL. Schaub, Flacco and Keenum (to a lesser extent) at least had that and they are the players that saw the most success under Kubiak. That was the big knock on PM being able to run his offense, which lead to being an excuse as to why the offense wasnt successful in 2015. 

2 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Not sure why everyone brings up 2016 and consider it Luck s best season and give the credit to Chud Best offense we have had since Luck has been here is with a much worse Oline and Trent Richardson as our running threat.  That was under Pep Hamilton when Luck led with the #1 passing offense and #3 scoring offense  and reached the AFCCG   2016 we had the 5th ranked passing offense and the 8th in scoring.   With Frank Gore and a MUCH better Oline that has an actual NFL caliber center 

Oh i agree 100%. My point isnt that Chud is good, or even that he made us better than any other OC. Just that in the same time frame, Gary Kubiak wasnt any better. I dont want Chud anywhere near our offense next season. 

4 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

They dont have to be Luck/Newton/Wilson level of athletic, but need to have at least some speed to run a system that relies on bootlegs, especially when you have a below average OL. Schaub, Flacco and Keenum (to a lesser extent) at least had that and they are the players that saw the most success under Kubiak. That was the big knock on PM being able to run his offense, which lead to being an excuse as to why the offense wasnt successful in 2015. 

Don't tell me you think Flacco is more athletic than Brissett?  We aren't saying that are we?   Flacco is the pure definition of a statue.

9 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

They brought that system in to keep their QB from getting killed.   Plus PM couldn't throw anymore.   They honestly weren't even all that concerned about offensive production and it was obvious.  The intent was to have PM manage the game and lean on the D.

Just now, krunk said:

Don't tell me you think Flacco is more athletic than Brissett?  We aren't saying that are we?

Brissett isnt as athletic as some OL in the league. He was just under a 5 second 40 time. Not that Flacco was too much faster, but he did have a better OL than we do to help mask that (Monroe/Osemele/Zuttah/Yanda/Wagner)

I also think Flacco throws better on the run than Brissett does, although admittedly I think its because hes young and not 100% confident in the playbook. I expect him to improve but im weary to rely on it. 

So if Brissett makes some improvements and we somehow got a top 5 OL, then I might feel better about bringing in Kubiak. But as it stands I think there are much better options out there. 

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

They brought that system in to keep their QB from getting killed.   Plus PM couldn't throw anymore.   They honestly weren't even all that concerned about offensive production and it was obvious.  The intent was to have PM manage the game and lean on the D.

Thats actually the opposite. Kubiak has always ran a bootleg style offense, but started moving away from it because PM couldnt run it. It wasnt something he brought in for PM. He went back to it in 2016 with Seimian/Lynch, and it was when his offense really dropped off. 

14 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I wouldn't be interested in Kubiak because of his health.  His health I believe is why he had to quit coaching in the first place.  

3 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Oh i agree 100%. My point isnt that Chud is good, or even that he made us better than any other OC. Just that in the same time frame, Gary Kubiak wasnt any better. I dont want Chud anywhere near our offense next season. 

Yea I know.  Didn't mean for that to read like it was directed at you

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO Chuck will not take a position of DBs coach. That would be an insult to him if Irsay even suggested that.

I know he wouldn’t. That was a joke. I do think a DB coach is probably what Chuck is best at though. But I would be upset and disappointed in us if we even tried to offer Chuck a demotion like that. We don’t need anymore bad press and that would get us tons of it and make us look 2nd rate and classless. 

18 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Thats actually the opposite. Kubiak has always ran a bootleg style offense, but started moving away from it because PM couldnt run it. It wasnt something he brought in for PM. He went back to it in 2016 with Seimian/Lynch, and it was when his offense really dropped off. 

Not saying I want Kubiak, but it would be nice to see Luck run some bootlegs. Maybe the new OC could use it for Luck. 

On 11/16/2017 at 7:16 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Who would you want as the new OC??

There's probably a pretty good chance the Browns fire Hue Jackson. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the next Colts OC. I mean the guy made Andy Dalton look like a good QB. And Dalton has not been the same since Hue left.

Thoughts???

Until the offensive line gets fixed it just doesn't or won't matter who is the OC. The play calling is limited many times due to this problem.

2 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Until the offensive line gets fixed it just doesn't or won't matter who is the OC. The play calling is limited many times due to this problem.

Very true, a bad o line certainly doesn't help play calling. They could still call more short passes though.

2 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

Harold Goodwin. He was with the Colts in 2012, but left with Arians to go to the Cardinals. He has learned from Arians to run a good Offense. Other than 2014 when Carson Palmer got hurt the Cardinals have been near Top-10 or in Top-5.

Luck does not need an offense that leaves him unprotected. We have witnessed the results of that.