Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Five Weeks in a Row - Ahead in the 3rd Quarter

Smonroe

Do their Defenses figure out our Offense? 

I know we've gone Prevent way too soon in a couple games, but I'm trying to figure out why our Offense dies in the second half of games?  Their Defenses adjust and our Offense doesn't come up with anything new?

Help me understand how we could be so efficient in the first of the game last night and totally inept the second half. 

This is exactly why Pagano is safe. 

I understand thats not the point of this thread and all, but this kind of stuff is the reason Pagano is perpetually safe. There's always some kind of logical spin to put on whats actually going on that makes it look better than it actually is. It blows my mind. 

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Playcalling for starters. Coupled with veterans making mistakes. This is a team that should be rallying around Jacoby. They come out in the second half with no heart.

He was getting a lot more pressure in the second half, but Chud should have plays set up for that.  Quick outs and screens.  The one or two they tried weren't executed very well. 

The O line played fairly well, especially in the first half, and considering it's patched together. 

Just an over all horrible second half performance by the offense.  And I agree, it falls on the play calling.  Some of that may be because Brissett just doesn't know the entire offense, but a lot of it has to be on Chud.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He was getting a lot more pressure in the second half, but Chud should have plays set up for that.  Quick outs and screens.  The one or two they tried weren't executed very well. 

The O line played fairly well, especially in the first half, and considering it's patched together. 

Just an over all horrible second half performance by the offense.  And I agree, it falls on the play calling.  Some of that may be because Brissett just doesn't know the entire offense, but a lot of it has to be on Chud.

Yep. We could have been throwing short passes to Mack in space against the blitz. Instead, they motioned him outside by himself with no blocking the one time they actually address it.

The offense stagnated in the second half and wasn't helped with some questionable KO Returns.  Quan if the ball is 5 yards deep in the end zone...take a knee and the offense starts at the 25....instead of the 10 or 15.  He did have one nice return though.

The defense was worn down from the stagnant offense and a pass rush wouldd certainly be welcomed.

Lack of coaching adjustments, inexperience at QB, Doyle's mistakes, and a tired defense all led to this loss.

I also think it's Brissett's inexperience too.....reading defenses, adjusting plays, decisiveness  etc....teams don't tee off on Luck like they did with Brissett last night. But yes the play calling didn't help. But honestly who knows what was called. Maybe they had a perfect play dialed up and Brissett just didn't execute. He held on to the ball a long time too.

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

Probably inexperience...especially at QB......I'm really wondering if these same offensive meltdowns would happen if Luck was playing

I don't think they would.  

But the trouble came when the protection was breaking down.  

Also Jack Doyle. He cost us the game IMO. 

59 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Playcalling for starters. Coupled with veterans making mistakes. This is a team that should be rallying around Jacoby. They come out in the second half with no heart.

I agree completely.  After success running in the first half, the play calling went nearly 4:1 pass in the second half, before the last meaningful drive, down 7 with 5 minutes to go.  It's like they see success with Brissett, and allow him to carry the team, when his success, at least in the first half, was set up by Gore and on one run Mack, gashing the D on the ground.  I hate sounding like 1970s guy, but on the road, with a lead, the play calling was the exact opposite of what it needed to be.  Run, run clock, protect the QB, and let field position be your friend.  Gore 10 carries, Mack 2, none in the second half.  That's simply not enough.  Why they functionally abandoned the run is a mystery to me...  

49 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It puzzles me how we feel so comfortable with abandoning the running game in the second half of these games and putting the ball in the hands of a guy thats still getting familiar with everything.   Mix it up for Gods Sake and keep feeding your runners.   Why do we like to just sit back and be a one dimensional passing team in the second half?  Of course they are going to blitz you into kingdom come if they already know it's going to be a pass.  I loved everything we did in the first half.    And we did the complete opposite of all that in the second half .

6 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I don't think they would.  

But the trouble came when the protection was breaking down.  

Also Jack Doyle. He cost us the game IMO. 

Doyle was God Awful.   I can't explain what's happened to that dude .

21 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

The offense stagnated in the second half and wasn't helped with some questionable KO Returns.  Quan if the ball is 5 yards deep in the end zone...take a knee and the offense starts at the 25....instead of the 10 or 15.  He did have one nice return though.

The defense was worn down from the stagnant offense and a pass rush wouldd certainly be welcomed.

Lack of coaching adjustments, inexperience at QB, Doyle's mistakes, and a tired defense all led to this loss.

What we are doing in the second halfs of these games is very very alarming. We are consistently coming out and scoring 3 points for an entire half against multiple opponents.  Brissett is a good enough Quarterback where that shouldn't be the case.   The bone headed mistakes by his team mates coupled with totally abandoning the running game I think are keys.  

I don't think you can place that amount of trust in Brissett to just pull it out on his own.  You got to keep feeding the run and going to easy plays that keep the chains moving.   Keep the heat off your damn quarterback. 

1 minute ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Has he always worn gloves?  I saw him tugging on them, looking at his hands...  he was not right, for sure. 

Yeah he's always worn gloves.   It must be a mental thing but the guy really killed us last night.   His fumbles and dropped passes swung the entire momentum of that game.  And once it swung there wasn't a damn thing we could do to change it back in our favor.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

What we are doing in the second halfs of these games is very very alarming.

We are consistently coming out and scoring 3 points for an entire half against

multiple opponents. 

Good teams play better in the second half.  Indy isn't a good team right now.  I feel the future is bright but that may not include this season as 2-4 and Luck a couple weeks away doesn't bode well.

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

Probably inexperience...especially at QB......I'm really wondering if these same offensive meltdowns would happen if Luck was playing

Luck would probably put them all on his back and carry them to the end zone at least once in the second half. 

7 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Good teams play better in the second half.  Indy isn't a good team right now.  I feel the future is bright but that may not include this season as 2-4 and Luck a couple weeks away doesn't bode well.

As much as I want to fight about it I can't do anything but concede.    We are horrible at closing these games out.   It's just plain terrible what we turn into in the second half and it's usually our own fault.   The fumbles, the penalties, the dropped passes, the abandonment of the running game.  The total lack of execution is just mind boggling.

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

This is exactly why Pagano is safe. 

I understand thats not the point of this thread and all, but this kind of stuff is the reason Pagano is perpetually safe. There's always some kind of logical spin to put on whats actually going on that makes it look better than it actually is. It blows my mind. 

God I hope you are wrong if we keep Chuck after this season I don't know what to do 

31 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

It's really sucks where we are at.      I don't see us winning that Jaguar game either. I'm hoping that they will surprise me, but I think that defense is going to force us into some mistakes.   The kind we made last night.   And they will do enough offensively to get what they need.   We'll basically just gift them the game I do believe.

Quick thoughts here:

-Something is mentally off with Jack Doyle. The fumble and the dropped passes were really bad and teams are starting to key in on his fumbling issues. There isn't a direct reason for his bad performance so far this season and he is a shell of what he was last year.

-Once again the offense played well to start the game but went decidedly cold in the second half that led to the defense getting gassed.

-The offensive and defensive lines began to wore down in the late 3rd and into the 4th quarters that led to big plays.

-Monachino said that the defense was going to try to and mix in more ways later in the game to generate pass rush (ie. blitzes) and they were not effective at all despite the fact that Mariota was largely immobile because of his injury.

-Why in the world was Mack given only 2 carries?

-For the life of me I can't understand why Sheard gets put in pass coverage. Coaching staff should never allow that to happen.

-Morrison and Bostic are bad. Morrison's best play of the night came on his own teammate when he knocked Melvin out of the game the first time.

This team simply doesn't know how to play a complete football game. There's some really bright stretches but way too many really bad ones. It's the same storyline as last year and this time there is no Luck to make up for the blemishes. And until this team can find a way to fix that this will be the storyline.

6 minutes ago, Restored said:

Quick thoughts here:

-Something is mentally off with Jack Doyle. The fumble and the dropped passes were really bad and teams are starting to key in on his fumbling issues. There isn't a direct reason for his bad performance so far this season and he is a shell of what he was last year.

-Once again the offense played well to start the game but went decidedly cold in the second half that led to the defense getting gassed.

-The offensive and defensive lines began to wore down in the late 3rd and into the 4th quarters that led to big plays.

-Monachino said that the defense was going to try to and mix in more ways later in the game to generate pass rush (ie. blitzes) and they were not effective at all despite the fact that Mariota was largely immobile because of his injury.

-Why in the world was Mack given only 2 carries?

-For the life of me I can't understand why Sheard gets put in pass coverage. Coaching staff should never allow that to happen.

-Morrison and Bostic are bad. Morrison's best play of the night came on his own teammate when he knocked Melvin out of the game the first time.

This team simply doesn't know how to play a complete football game. There's some really bright stretches but way too many really bad ones. It's the same storyline as last year and this time there is no Luck to make up for the blemishes. And until this team can find a way to fix that this will be the storyline.

Doyle never really separated much last year either, he was just good at catching in traffic and Luck's evasiveness helped him. This year, he has regressed in the "catching in traffic" department. He never truly had speed to separate to begin with. He was always a high floor but limited ceiling guy that overachieved. Swoope was the high ceiling guy that we truly miss, IMO.

I noticed Doyle being slow in pre-season as well and pointed that out. We are going to have to run the lights out on Sunday to stand a chance. Given our OC's play calling history, we might do things right the first half but fall apart in the second half.

The OL is a mess.  They said it last night.  How many different combinations?  Lead the league.  Experimenting with players at different positions, Clark at G for example.  He looked good to start but was lost when they started to blitz and stunt in the second half.  Brissett still makes rookie mistakes and he will for awhile.  We are asking too much of him right now but we have no choice.  Only a game back with ten to go.  That's a lot of games but when Luck returns who knows?   

Looks to me like the Coaching staff is loading up 7 with everything they can to get the game started, then after the D get's a look at what they've rehearsed, they clamp down on it. 

It's combo of the coaching not being great/flexible and having a QB who's learning on the fly. 

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Doyle never really separated much last year either, he was just good at catching in traffic and Luck's evasiveness helped him. This year, he has regressed in the "catching in traffic" department. He never truly had speed to separate to begin with. He was always a high floor but limited ceiling guy that overachieved. Swoope was the high ceiling guy that we truly miss, IMO.

I noticed Doyle being slow in pre-season as well and pointed that out. We are going to have to run the lights out on Sunday to stand a chance. Given our OC's play calling history, we might do things right the first half but fall apart in the second half.

Yeah he's never been a speedy or quick TE and that's not been the issue with him this year. Some of these plays he was open though and just didn't secure the ball. On the fumble he was open but was struggling to handle it after catching it initially and then he fumbled shortly after gaining control of it.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

God I hope you are wrong if we keep Chucks dumb *** after this season I don't know what the hell to do 

I mean, I wish I was wrong. But I'm not. In the vast majority of situations he has a logical butt saving excuse. Look at the Seattle game. "We were hanging tough for a half and then a couple of swing plays in the third broke it open." "Yeah, we've lost some close games, but we've been without our quarterback. We were just one  play away."

It just never ceases to happen, no matter how ridiculous. 

I've never seen anything like it. 

I'm not sure what Brissett did wrong in the second half.  You had poor field position, constant pressure/terrible protection, the Doyle fumble, and possibly the biggest factor - poor coaching.  They adjust; we don't.

It's pretty simple.  This is a bad team with bad coaching.  This team is not good enough to win with a QB who has been here for a little over a month and who is making his 6th start in the league.  Only Luck or Manning could win with this team.  

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I mean, I wish I was wrong. But I'm not. In the vast majority of situations he has a logical butt saving excuse. Look at the Seattle game. "We were hanging tough for a half and then a couple of swing plays in the third broke it open." "Yeah, we've lost some close games, but we've been without our quarterback. We were just one  play away."

It just never ceases to happen, no matter how ridiculous. 

I've never seen anything like it. 

I agree and the fans here don't help they make up lame excuses too lol